Senioritis

The New Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The entire summer I was busy writing college applications. I planned on applying MIT, Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), Notre Dame, and other Ivy League colleges. I was second in my class when I graduated junior year and after getting a 2350 on the SAT (a standardized test for college) and a 36 on my ACT, I thought I was ready to apply for MIT as an early applicant. I had rewritten my resume several times and was starting to dread rereading it. Because of my busy schedule with college, I rarely had any time to meet with Hansol, who I was sure was also preparing for college. He had finished 4th in the class and got a 2400 on the SAT and a 34 on the ACT. We promised each other to keep the colleges we were applying to a secret and when we got our final results, we would reveal to each other where we got accepted into. Although it sounded stupid, we wanted to make sure that the colleges we chose weren't based off of each others. We didn't want our relationship to interfere with college. 

My mother was getting quite heavy and sometimes, when I saw her in an uncomfortable state, I rethought my decision of having kids in the future. Originally, I thought of having two kids, but looking at other families, I lowered it to one and now, it might even be zero.

It was finally the first day of school. The previous day, I had just finished my final college applications at 3 am. Dark shadows underneath my eyes, I went to school dressed in Hansol's black sweater, that I had continuously forgotten to return, and dark skinny jeans with a messy braid. I thought that I looked like I had actually tried my best to choose my outfit, but apparently when Hansol saw me at school, the first thing he told me was,"It's bad to sleep with tight jeans on." 

"I didn't sleep with them on," I responded, yawning. 

"Why are you so tired?" 

"I was up until 3 writing college applications."

"Mari, you're too dedicated."

"You've been up late too," I remarked, noticing his tired eyes.

"Well I guess you've caught a hypocrite." He smiled and stifled a yawn. "How has your summer been?"

"College, college, and more college."

"Very impressive."

"Can I just sleep today?" I sat down in an empty seat and put my head on the desk. 

"You should probably check on what the teacher thinks about sleeping." 

Sighing, I lifted my head up and looked up to see our new teacher. It was this squat bald man who waddled in our classroom. He was too short for the podium. Rolling my eyes, I plopped back down onto my desk.

Roll was shortly called afterwards and I felt myself dozing off when something suddenly hit my head. "Ouch!" I cried out grasping my head. The short teacher was standing in front of me with a ruler. He hit me with a ruler? 

"Student! What are you doing? Sleeping through math! How absurd! Go up to the board and solve that math question!" 

Sleepily, I got out of my seat and walked up to the board. He expected me to solve this question? That was plain ridiculous. I was pretty sure that my unborn younger sibling could solve it. Seriously. The question was: "An infinite geometric sequence has a common ration of -5/3 and a sum of 45. What is the first term of the sequence?" I scoffed while mentally doing the math in my mind. Working backwards with the formula, I quickly scribbled '120' on the board and started walking back to my seat. 

"Excuse me student, you must show your work!" I turned back and walked up to the board. He was probably asking me to show my work because he couldn't do the math that quickly. Whatever. I wrote the formula: (n1)/(1-cr) = sum. (cr is the common ratio and n1 is the first term of the sequence)<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter