Prom (2)

The New Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was taken aback. It had never occurred to me that Hansol was the one who had asked me. But seeming as it was indeed Hansol, I smiled and put the ring from the bouquet back on my finger. "Yes," I said. "I would love to go with you Hansol."

The students in the class cheered and I walked towards Hansol, giving him a tight hug. "Thanks for saying yes," he said, returning my hug. We walked back to our seats, our hands intertwined together. 

"Did you make this?" I asked, pointing to the little cut out words. "How'd you know that this book is my favorite?"

"I did make it and I didn't know it was your favorite. The Fault in Our Stars is a good book and coincidentally I decided to choose this to ask you." He smiled sweetly. "Prom is only a week away. Would you like to do anything special on that day?"

I thought about his question for a moment. "Let's take good pictures."

He laughed. "Okay. I'll drive. When it gets closer to the actual date we can plan out and be more specific." 

A week later, it was finally prom! I was so excited to go. I had bought a pale pink strapless dress that reached the ground along with high, pink heels. I wrapped my hair into curls that fell down one of my shoulders. He had told me that he would pick me up at 5 from my house so I hurriedly dressed myself, painted my nails pale pink and gold, applied makeup, and put my jewelry on, along with his ring. Finished, I presented myself to my parents. 

"Mari you look really nice!" Mom and Dad took pictures, wanting to save this moment. I spun around, twirling my dress, loving the feeling of the smooth fabric against my legs. Just then the doorbell rang and I ran to open the door for Hansol. 

He took my breath away. Hansol wore a pale pink tie with his black suit and had his hair brushed neatly. My parents walked over to us and tried to take some pictures. Mom had her Polaroid and took a quick picture of us. "A moment to remember," she said, smiling at us. We left short after, riding in Hansol's car.

"You look really nice," he said. "Would you mind if we could hang out with some other kids before prom? Unless you don't want to." He seemed really cautious about asking me the question. I wondered why.

"Okay, I won't mind. What will we be doing?" I wondered who the other kids were.

"Taking photos, eating, just spending time until 8." 

"Ah okay."

We arrived at the supposed location and got out of the car, my face brightening when I saw the rest of the boys, even Johnny. They were all with their dates, who were all dressed beautifully. Hansol came over to me and offered me his arm, which I took. We greeted everyone and were then escorted to take pictures. First, we lined up by couples then took separate pictures for the girls and boys. For the girls, we lined up by the shades of our dresses where I was in the front because of my pale pink. Behind me were the other girls in dresses of pale yellow, light green, turquoise, light blue and more. Then the boys took pictures by height. Afterwards, we had separate couple photos. 

"How should we pose?" I asked him.

"How many can we take?" he asked the photographer. 

"Three," was the answer.

"First one we can just do the typical hands on waist type thing and for the second one we can look at each other and for the last one lets just improvise." 

Improvise...I liked that. "Deal." We shook on it, laughing. For the first picture he put his hands on my waist and we turned to look at the camera while our bodies faced left. Second, we looked at each other, fairly close and smiling. Then for the improvisation. Who knew what we were both going to do? I already had something in mind and I smiled sneakily thinking about it. It was time to pose. I put my arms around his neck and leaned my head on his warm chest, looking at the camera. I guess I took him by surprise but that was what improvisation was about. We finished and expectantly waited for our pictures. 

"I thought you were going to kiss me," Hansol said, looking slightly disappointed. 

"Wow. Wow. Wow," I said. "You have such high expectations for me. What am I going to do if I can't reach all of them?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter