Act I: Another Page

What The? [H]

Taeyeon removed her shoes as soon as she reached her home. “I’m home!” She hollered, expecting a reply from Hyoyeon who live with her.

A faint “welcome back!” echoed from the kitchen, and it was undoubtedly her brother, Jiwoong oppa. A late but bright chirp of “welcome back unnie!” came from opposite of the kitchen; Hayeon’s room. Taeyeon smiled at their reply, though she was a bit disappointed that neither her parents nor Hyoyeon were present.

Hayeon immediately greeted her sister with a hug. “How’s your day?” She asked brightly.

Taeyeon’s smile faltered immediately, her eyes turned stone cold. “Not really good. How is Hyoyeon? Is she getting better?”

Hayeon shook her head. “She refused to eat anything. She took her medicine, but refused to eat any food.” Hayeon shook her head sadly. “She also kept on mumbling about Uncle and Auntie.”

Taeyeon nodded slowly. She knew the feeling; missing her parents. Hyoyeon was sure wealthy, but her parents were on business trip while her younger brother was on States. Instead of staying at her own house, she decided to crash on Taeyeon’s house for the time being. Just so she won’t be too lonely and alone. She turned to Hayeon and gave her a small smile. “Force her to eat them. I have loads of homework I need to do. Please take care of her, okay?”

Hayeon gave Taeyeon a suspicious look, but being a good girl and good sister she is, Hayeon only nodded without words.

Taeyeon was grateful for her sister’s ignorant act. She needed her to be ignorant, anyway.

It would ruin her reputation as a sister, if Hayeon confirmed that her sister still cried over her nasty break up with Baekhyun, wouldn’t it?


When the girls went back home, they were in different states.

Jessica in particular, was glowing to no end. Her glowing was the reason of why they didn't bother to switch on the light. Sunlight from the windows and Jessica's rare glowing were enough to light the room.

Sunny was smiling happily, something good might happened on the school. But because Sunny often went home with that kind of state, no one questioned her.

Nicole was in her normal state. She would hum random tunes occasionally but that was it.

Tiffany was semi-depressed, because Dr Jeon shooed her from infirmary and got no chance to talk to Seohyun about the beating. It was her fault of being a pig though, she prioritized her meal first rather than Seohyun.

While Seohyun, was very depressed about something.

“Well guys,” Jessica smiled at everyone. “I have a meeting with Yuri on library after this. Don’t worry about having cucumber, I won’t be here anyway.”

Tiffany quirked her eyebrow at her bestfriend’s smiling face. Jessica rarely smiled. “What are you going to do?”

Jessica waved her hand dismissively as if trying to avoid the subject. “School project, Biology problem yada yada. First who turned up the project will get immediate A+”

“Ooh nice.” Sunny fist-bumped Jessica. “Who’s the teacher teaching your class?” Jessica grinned at Sunny’s question. “Our fav one, of course!” The two eldest shared a laugh.

“Who’s your partner?” Nicole inquired curiously. “You don’t glow that often, Jess.” Nicole purposely ignored Jessica’s glare, just to mess with her.

Puh-lease,” Jessica sneered. “I’m Jessica Jung. I glow anytime.” Jessica laughed as the girls made a gagging noise. All but Seohyun.

All of their attention immediately turned toward her.

“Hyunnie, is something wrong?” Sunny asked at the young scientist. “You usually find a way to diss Sica somehow, but not today. What’s wrong?”

Seohyun opened to say something, but abruptly closed it again as the cut on her lips opened again. “Tsch!” She hissed painfully at the stinging pain on her lips. She immediately touched her lips in instant, hoping it will somehow ease the pain.

Realization hit the eldest two as they took notice of a bruise on her cheek, now that Seohyun isn’t covering it with her hand anymore. “Seohyun… why is your cheek bruised?!” Jessica screamed in horror, and immediately pulled Seohyun to sit at the sofa.

“I… fell?” Seohyun lied lamely, but the unnies weren’t stupid enough to believe it. They glared at her, and for the first time Seohyun felt really intimidated by the unnies’ joint glare attack.

Nicole. Your room.” Jessica demanded with a hiss. Nicole obediently shut herself on her room without protest.

“Speak, Seo Joohyun.” Sunny bellowed icily, her arms crossed.

Seohyun refused to talk, but when she saw the hurt flashed on Tiffany’s eyes, she began her story. “I piss off Kim Taeyeon,” Seohyun caressed her own lips. “I don’t know why though. I thought maybe it’s because of Hyoyeon, but I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Something happened and Taeyeon blamed you?” Jessica’s eyes narrowed as Seohyun nodded meekly. Then, she sneered at Tiffany. “Ha, I knew it. She’s gone crazy since Baek-“

“Taetae is not crazy…” Tiffany argued, but her voice was weak. Jessica raised an eyebrow at her, challenging her. Tiffany’s lips quivered. “She’s… she’s just…!”

“Not crazy,” Sunny snorted. She sometimes saw Taeyeon’s outburst too. “Yeah and I’m tall.” She ignored Jessica’s silent snicker.

“She’s…” Tiffany trailed off, hesitant.

“Emotionally unstable,” Seohyun cut off. “I know. But I think I deserve this… this treatment I guess. I mean, I shouldn’t do all this experiment that will endanger lives!” Seohyun huffed. “Perhaps I should stop this once and for all…”

“Chemistry is your passion, Seohyun…” Sunny placed her hand on Seohyun’s shoulder comfortingly, but retreated quickly when the younger winced. “Don’t give it up.”

Seohyun looked at Sunny as if she was crazy. “I don’t want to endanger anyone’s lives.” She stated heatedly, emphasizing the word lives. An awkward silence followed after Seohyun’s outburst.

“So…” Tiffany broke the ice after remembering something. “I’ve been her classmate from my first time her, and I think I remembered that she won’t easily forgive unless you proved yourself.”

“Judging from what I have done to Hyoyeon, I think I proved myself enough,” Seohyun let out a devastated sigh. “I’m a bastard.”

The unnies immediately shouted their protest, and Seohyun grudgingly accepted them.

A few seconds after they calmed down, Sunny stood as if she got an epiphany. She shot Seohyun a grin. “Then would you like to turn another leaf?”

“Huh?” Seohyun shot Sunny a confused look. Tiffany looked at her as if she’d grown another head. Jessica just raised an eyebrow.

Seeing her friends’ sceptical looks, she let out an exasperated sigh. “Hear me out…”


Short one, but I'm about to move on Act II: The Boys

Sneak peek:

"My name is Jung Joohyun."

"I'm not even kidding, you're the exact same copy of my sister."

"I'm sorry, but I'm taken."