Asking

Spring is for lovers.

The elevator dinged that it’d arrived on the first floor, Tiffany got out of it carefully smoothing her shirt and skirt before she breathed in and walked toward the exit. The dull pounding of her heart sped a little and she went to the door of her building.

 

At first she didn’t see her, but Yuri was there leaning casually against the brick wall next to the door, her weight on one leg and her long hair falling over her shoulder, hiding her face. Tiffany had no time to react when Yuri scooted up next to her and smiled her way. Tiffany was struck by the woman’s charms.

 

“Morning beautiful.” Yuri greeted, taking Tiffany’s free swinging hand and giving it a little squeeze then releasing, almost holding her hand but only a tease, and Tiffany felt it.

 

“Morning,” Tiffany greeted back shyly which was strongly out of character for her, and suddenly she felt awkward, lost and confused whether their friendly banter and relationship was going to become flirty but cautious. She panicked momentarily not wanting to lose that. Sure, she thought she liked Yuri back but she didn’t want to lose a friend.

 

Yuri felt Tiffany’s disturbance and wrapped her arm over her shoulder, saying, “Ready to take on the new week?” Pulling her arm down dramatically she continued, “I’m not. Yewon’s just had her baby and is going to be out for six weeks and the boss’s got me pulling double duty I’ve got to meet all her deadlines for the each of those weeks!” she grumbled comically causing Tiffany to laugh, something that would have surely happened a week earlier at the busstop.

 

With that small gesture she was put at ease, “Awww, poor Yuri,” she teased and they chatted all the way to the stop, as rare chance, the bus pulled up and there were two seats near the back that seemed perfect for the pair to continue their commute together, as it was pulling into the stop Yuri would transfer at, she stopped the conversation a little abruptly.

 

“This Wednesday!” she blurted startling Tiffany, “This Wednesday, after we get back from work, can I take you for dinner?” People started filing off at the transfer stop and Yuri was hesitating to get up from her seat, her eyes searching for an answer from Tiffany, who promptly nodded and began shooing her off the seat.

 

“Yes! Yuri Kwon, I’ll go with you, now go before you miss the stop!”

 

Yuri floated the rest of the way to work.


 

_ _

a