09 Kyuhyun

The Untold Story of Two

chapter nine

kyuhyun: the drift

Kyuhyun: The Drift

Jinyoung flipped through his pages of notes as he finally arrived at Kyuhyun's place. Another friend, another story. Everyone's account of what had happened was extremely different, and everyone's account of what had happened didn't always add up.

However, that doesn't stop Jinyoung from continuing to do his research.

He needs to know what had happened. Not because he wants to bring his parents back together (something he no longer knows if it's the right thing to do), but because his parents' story was something strangely intriguing.

"I heard from Ryeowook that Donghae was a little different after the surgery," Jinyoung begins, "Can you tell me how my dads' relationship continued from that point on?"

Kyuhyun loosens his tie as he falls upon the comfort of the sofa, "Everything happened so long ago, but I could never forget how Eunhyuk broke down because of Donghae."

 

"He forgot," Eunhyuk spoke softly, disappointment evident in his voice, "he forgot everything about us. This is the second time already."

Kyuhyun knew exactly what his friend was talking about. He was the one who had to watch one of his closest friends grow more excited about his monthiversary with Donghae. He was the one who could see the anticipation in his eyes, the joy spilling out of his heart, and the love he felt for the other.

Now, he was the one who has to pick up the pieces of his friend's broken heart.

After the accident, Donghae had first forgotten Eunhyuk's birthday, and Eunhyuk couldn't even bring himself to tell his significant other about it. He couldn't go up to him and say the words, "It's my birthday today", and it was all because Eunhyuk still liked to beat himself up about the accident he believed he caused.

Even when Donghae had told him that he never blamed him.

Kyuhyun knew that this was getting ridiculous. Sure, the accident was unfortunate, but it was no reason for Eunhyuk to be treated with such insignificance.

He was tired of seeing his friend come to school with red, puffy eyes, clear evidence that he had spent the whole night crying his heart out. He was tiring of seeing his friend so dejected, feeling like he has nothing left to offer the world.

Now, Donghae had forgotten one of the most important events in Eunhyuk's life.

"He said he was going to make it special," Eunhyuk attempts to hold back his tears, "He promised. He promised he would be the one to make it memorable, something I would never forget."

Hearing him break down was something Donghae couldn't ever handle. Immediately, he pulls his friend into a tight embrace, "Just leave him. You don't deserve to be treated like this. Do you know how much my heart breaks every time you act like this? Face it. Donghae isn't the same person you fell in love with."

However, Eunhyuk doesn't reply with anything relevant, "I waited all day. Sitting by the phone, awaiting his text, and not being able to call him because he told me that he wanted to surprise me. I didn't want to bother him if he was making plans. I - "

"Eunhyuk," Kyuhyun sighs, "Stop talking. Just let out your tears. Clear your mind. Figure out what is truly best for you."

"I've been staying with Heechul now," he mumbles softly, "I thought just having some company would make myself feel better when I'm at home. I'm trying to figure out my heart. I really didn't think he'd forget something so important. I didn't even lose faith. I waited until the last second ticked by. Kyuhyun, what should I do?"

Kyuhyun sighs softly and gently rests his hand on the boy's shoulder, "You deserve better. Please don't shed anymore tears on him anymore. It's just not worth it."

"You don't understand," Eunhyuk replies quietly, "You don't understand how perfect he was."

"And you don't understand how things have changed now," Kyuhyun immediately finishes for him, "You don't understand how you're still living in the past. Donghae isn't the right one for you. Your tears are the evidence for that!"

Silence took over their conversation as Eunhyuk struggles to find the words to say.

"Maybe you're right."

 

"I really thought that the two of them really ended everything then," Kyuhyun sighs, rubbing his temples, "Is Eunhyuk still doing okay? He's not crying all the time, is he?"

Jinyoung almost laughs, "Dad never cries. Neither of them."

"That doesn't sound like the Eunhyuk I know," Kyuhyun states, but he could tell that there is relief in his voice.

"Clearly, time changes people."

author's note

 

Love Lesson #8. A continuation of the previous love lesson. People change. Just because they used to be different in the past, doesn't mean they will definitely go back to the way they were in the past. Look at the present and ask yourself: Is this love really worth it? (especially if it makes you sad).