Him & Her (6)

Room 101 - Love Consultant

Ji Eun politely nodded her head in thanks at the worn textbooks, colorful thin post- its sticking out from all sides. Woohyun smiled and patted the textbooks.

“No need to feel thankful! Just doing my job as a helpful sunbae.” He playfully wiggled his brows and laughed when Ji Eun nodded quietly. He turned towards Eunji and tilted his head in concern when he saw that she was blankly staring at the table.

“Eunji? …Earth to Eunji?” Woohyun’s smile softened when Eunji looked up, “You’re being really quiet for someone who wanted to know about the Vocal Department.” Woohyun half teased, leaning into her left side.

Dongwoo looked up from his phone and placed it screen down on the table as if guilty. His smile was gone from before and his face seemed to turn stiff as Eunji smiled back at Woohyun carelessly. He seemed to be annoyed at Eunji and Ji Eun couldn’t really blame him.

“I’m fine.” Eunji chirped, unusually bright. Ji Eun tried not to point out that she did not look fine and her face was shades darker than when she first entered the house. It was obvious something was wrong, but if there was one thing Eunji couldn’t do, it was acting.

“Okay. Tell me when something is wrong.” Woohyun smiled reassuringly and turned back to Ji Eun.

The words exchanged between Dongwoo and Woohyun were left unheard and they slipped out of Ji Eun’s ears as she could only stare at her best friend.

How could he not notice? How could he pretend not to notice?

She could tell that Dongwoo knew that something was up, because of the way he kept avoiding to even look at the air around Eunji. However, he ignored it and instead put his attention on the new comebacks his favorite singers were having this month and Woohyun's future plan in going.

It was easier to not notice.

Besides, he was still pissed off that a hoobae was straight up ignoring his attempts in making a conversation. It pissed him off even more that she wasn’t even ignoring everyone, but she was only listening and responding to Woohyun. Not to mention, she was even ignoring the cute girl next to him.

Aren’t they supposed to be best friends? What a .

Ji Eun froze, her body stiff. The familiar satisfying feeling of analyzing and finding out what a person was thinking warmed her up like an old friend. The way she could see so clearly what Dongwoo was thinking rubbed up against her, like a cat running out and basking in the warm sunlight. It comforted her to finally feel like she was in control.

On the other hand, she couldn’t shake the intense feeling of guilt that seeped into her skin, cold and thick like old blood. It wouldn’t had been so bad if she’d been here by herself, she would have eventually found a way to forgive herself for breaking a promise. Except, there was one thing that burned into her.

Eunji was staring at her.

All this time, Eunji had not even given Ji Eun a glance of her eyes, and now (why did it happen to be now?) she was staring directly at Ji Eun.

Her eyes flickered to Ji Eun’s chest and held Ji Eun’s gaze.

It felt like she was stubbornly holding onto hot coal.

Ji Eun looked away first, not understanding. She looked away before she could habitually analyzed her own friend, but she knew something was very, very wrong with Eunji. Something had clicked within Eunji and there was some kind of dynamite fizzing inside of her.

Ji Eun didn't know why, when, what, or how, but she knew it was directed at her.

The burning question of 'Why' hurt her badly, it drove her crazy that she didn't know, but as much as it burned, a bigger question roared bigger flames.

Was there a way to put it out?

Ji Eun wasn’t so sure.

She just knew she had to do something before this wavering friendship finally broke.

Ji Eun thought that maybe she didn't like Woohyun because he was a stranger, but that small glimpse of Dongwoo's thoughts had given her suspicion of her reasons. Was being a stranger that strong of a reason to make her not like him? If so, she should not like Dongwoo as much as Woohyun, but that wasn't the case.

Something was off about Woohyun and she was determined to find out.

So maybe she'd just break her promise with Eunji a few more times, for their sake.

A loud friendly ring of a phone jolted everyone out of their thoughts, the two boys pausing mid-conversation. Woohyun leaned on his right arm and picked his phone up from the ground. His smile melted when he checked the caller ID and got up in a brisk walk towards his room, motioning Dongwoo to follow.

The cool genius stiffened her face.

Now that isn't suspicious.

Ji Eun tried not to notice the way Dongwoo's eyebrows lifted for a split second with question. He gave a subtle glance at Eunji, who was not paying attention and instead fiddling with the sample Vocal Department registration forms that Dongwoo had placed in front of her a couple of minutes ago. His eyes wavered to Ji Eun as he got up, pushing himself from his knees.

Their eyes met and Ji Eun threw away any previous promises and decided to work the way she did.

It was all for a better cause anyways.

Time slowed and the dust around the remaining three began to sparkle like pixie dust as it hit the light in numerous angles. She tried to make her gaze as gentle as possible, as innocent and as curious as she could as to not arise suspicion or the feeling of risk. Ji Eun looked up with her big round eyes, folding her hands daintily. The window bell chimed softly and the setting sun warmly caressed her arms as it pooled in from the small room window that was the only source of external light in this college boy's room.

Even Eunji looked up with an unusually relaxed expression as the oranges and sunlight dyed white walls were radiating warmth before she noticed what Ji Eun was doing.

Ji Eun forced herself not to look and not to care about the sudden feeling of betrayal that exploded from Eunji and instead she tilted her head gently as an additional touch. Eunji's eyes were wide with hurt, but they flickered with confusion as she noticed the deliberate way Ji Eun was ignoring her.

At first, Eunji burned with rage, but Ji Eun seemed way too relaxed and way too confident.

Her flame of anger fizzled black, but it was still there, ready to be lit. The feeling of confusion overpowered anger and Eunji could do nothing but watch.

Ji Eun felt the anger simmer down behind her back and she could finally focus on Dongwoo. She held his gaze and she felt the wave of satisfaction as she could really read his thoughts; the thoughts he was subconsciously letting out with each muscle he moved.

His eyes shook from Ji Eun's eye to another.

Why is she looking me?

His legs and feet were planted towards the door, and his thighs shifted in small movements, as if hesitant.

Better get to Woohyun.

Ji Eun almost frowned at the simplicity of the way he was thinking, but this is what she expected of the male brain. She decided to dig deeper, using her rusty shovel and if she didn't see a hint of gold, she would stop.

She smiled softly.

In a second Ji Eun found out what she needed to know to know she was doing the right thing.

He smiled back with a small pause and it was awkward.

The words in Dongwoo's voice echoed in Ji Eun's head and Ji Eun had to stop herself from smiling with victory and progress. It also planted new worries and questions at the same time.

 

 

 

 

Better not get caught.