Hearing the Rumor

Room 101 - Love Consultant

Kim Jonghyun walked through the corridor, oozing pure, raw confidence in each direction he walked through.

"Hey Jonghyun, gonna play basketball after school?" a fellow student threw a question at him, twirling a bright orange basketball on his finger.

"Nah, I'm going to drop by the tennis club." Jonghyun waved back, without turning.

"Aww c'mon, you said that last week!"

Jonghyun chuckled, stuffing his hands into his pocket, shrugging apologetically.

"Hey! Jonghyun! C'mere!"

Jonghyun glanced at the voices direction and froze.

"I need your help with the tennis club, do you mind? Taeyeon sunbae also needs your help with the equipment too."

Jonghyun couldn't see his friend, Onew at all. His silhouette was being blurred by the sparkling presence behind Onew's running figure.

"Hello? Duuude? You there?" Onew interrupted Jonghyun's field of vision, making him snap back to reality.

"Huh? What?" Jonghyun mentally smacked himself back on track.

"I asked, could you help me and Taeyeon sunbae with the tennis club?" Onew repeated his question, confusion wrinkling into his brows.

Jonghyun couldn't answer immediately, his eyes stuck on Taeyeon sunbae's glorious, angel-like, slow motion turn. Her hair seemed to dance in the oh-so-wonderfully timed breeze, and she turned to face Jonghyun's direction, smiling sweetly.

"Hey Jonghyun!" Taeyeon chirped and Jonghyun felt his heart thump loudly in his ears.

"Of course I'll help!" Jonghyun blurted, surprising Onew and Taeyeon.

"Yeah definitely... I will help." Jonghyun quickly slapped on a cheeky grin, "I should help. I can't lose sight of all the pretty ladies practicing tennis. Yesterday was paradise."

Taeyeon laughed as she walked over, and her sweet sweet laugh resounded in Jonghyun like a wedding bell.

Ah... How could Taeyeon sunbae be so angel like...

"Well, boys will be boys! It won't take long like yesterday though. I just need you to move some stuff." Taeyeon said, stopping next to Onew.

Jonghyun refrained all his muscles from hugging Taeyeon, and glaring at Onew.

That lucky bastard, enrolling in the same club as Taeyeon sunbae...!

"No problemos! I don't have these muscles for nothing!" Jonghyun threw a thumbs up, trying not to purposefully flex his arm. His eyes failed to look at Taeyeon directly, and he immediately regretted not searching for eye contact.

"Yeah, I just need you to spot me." Onew shrugged, exchanging glances with Taeyeon, grinning.

Damn it you sly bastard.

"Again? Man, you can’t even hit those tennis balls; it can barely be called spotting." Jonghyun sneered, watching for Taeyeon's reaction.

"Pfthaha!" Taeyeon raised her hand to her lips, closing her eyes in a small, timid laugh.

Ah... So cute... So so so so so cute... Taeyeon sunbae.. She's so cute...

"Wah! How mean sunbae! You know I try my best." Onew frowned, shooting a glare at Jonghyun.

"Ok ok, you guys should hurry on to your classes." Taeyeon began to turn after hearing her friends call her and Onew waved her goodbye obliviously.

Jonghyun fiddled with his backpack straps.

Ok today I'll ask her! I'll finally ask her.

"Dude, what class do we have? We have calculus right? Man, I hate calculus…" Onew muttered, already turning towards the second year building.

Jonghyun hesitated, his eyes darting from the floor to Taeyeon's retreating back.

Today, I have to ask her to eat lunch with us!

"Taeyeon sunbae!" Jonghyun mustered all his courage and shouted, his voice bouncing off the corridor halls.

Jonghyun stared at his crush while she stopped mid-walk and turned around.

"Taeyeon sunbae..!" Jonghyun's tongue began to itch, "Uh, do you want to... Do you want to like, uh..."

She simply smiled and cocked her head.

Aghhhh! Damnit why is she so cute..!

"Sunbae.. Do you-"

"Taeyeon! Where were you? Hurry up! There's a student council meeting." Heechul ushered Taeyeon, pulling her arm towards the stairs.

The words that took so much effort to fire up were out in a flash, and they crawled back down Jonghyun's throat with defeat.

"Huh? Oh okay, sorry , I was just about to go!" Taeyeon laughed, "Sorry, Jonghyun what were you going to say?" She called back at Jonghyun.

Jonghyun clenched his fists.

"Do you need some help with recruiting new tennis club members? I could totally help with that." Jonghyun grinned, his hands stuffing back into his pockets.

Taeyeon paused before breaking into an angelic smile.

"Because of the ladies?! Of course you can!" she laughed before disappearing across the corner with a frantic Heechul.

Jonghyun turned hopping towards Onew, showing no signs of dejection.

"Man, you love girls too much." Onew scolded before going back into a rant full of calculus hatred.

Jonghyun forced a grin, inwardly beating up his conscience.

I'm a stupid stupid ball-less man.

 

"Oh crap! I forgot my calculus text..." Onew's sentence faded at the end, his eyes glancing over to Jonghyun's desk.

"Go away, don't even think about it." Jonghyun peered at his friend, defensively hugging his own textbook, notebook and pencil.

"Oh c'mon! It's like my fourth time getting into trouble because of this class' stupid textbook!" Onew protested, leaping for the goodie.

"It's your fault for not bringing it!" Jonghyun dodged just in time, his chair squeaking loud in exclaim.

"It's the same weight as a ton of bricks, why would I? C'mon please Jonghyun? Please, buddy? Best-bud?" Onew slowly frowned when he realized his sweet words wouldn't pacify Jonghyun, "You heartless bastard! Lend your textbook to me, just for once!" Onew cried out, shoving Jonghyun's desk stretching his arms for the textbook.

"What the f- No! Go away, I'm not getting in trouble because of you!" Jonghyun grunted, holding his textbook in one arm, the other arm blocking Onew's antics.

"If I go down, you're going down with me!" Onew roared, tugging at Jonghyun's arm.

"Are you crazy! Get off man!" Jonghyun laughed, hunching over, kicking Onew away.

"Let me borrow your pencil case, thanks man." Onew ignored the confused classmate's protest, "Take that you traitor!" He threw the long pencil case with full force towards Jonghyun's direction.

"Hey!" Jonghyun ducked down just in time and the light blue case went flying past his head.

Everyone watched in slow motion as the light blue blur hit a bystander with a loud SMACK.

"Oh shoot."

"Look at what you've done." Jonghyun shook his head and turned towards the victim.

"S-Sorry Ji Eun, I didn't know he could dodge that." Onew laughed apologetically, his hand ruffling his hair in embarrassment.

The victim, Ji Eun sat in place on her desk, staring at the pencil case. She picked it up in silence as everyone watched. She slid a sideways glance at Jonghyun, to which Jonghyun felt himself creeped out by, before walking over to Onew.

"Careful."

Her voice was so quiet you could barely hear it and it was a miracle that Onew could.

"Yeah, sorry! I didn't mean to. Sorry for.." Onew glanced over at Ji Eun's desk, noticing the open notes and uncapped highlighter, "Sorry for bothering your studies."

Ji Eun nodded with no words and walked back to her seat, scribbling on the notebook again.

"Man, don't keep dangerous objects like this around!" Onew scolded the innocent pencil case's owner, carefully placing the case onto his desk.

"It's a perfectly safe object before you made it dangerous." Jonghyun laughed, turning his back towards Ji Eun.

"Whatever. I'll just spend another 45 minutes of punishment." Onew grumbled, leaning against the back wall.

Jonghyun arranged his stuff again, stealing a glance at the silent Ji Eun. She was highlighting some lines again when she caught Jonghyun's eye. Ji Eun held it before swiftly resuming her work.

Jonghyun stood up next to Onew who was now totally ignorant of the fact that he was going to get in trouble.

"She's kind of weird huh?" Jonghyun murmured, fascinated.

"Who? Ji Eun?" Onew cocked his head in thought, "Hmm... A little I guess."

"She hasn't said a full sentence in normal volume ever since this second week of school." Jonghyun whispered.

"Maybe she's shy?"

Jonghyun let out a scoff.

"No way."

"Introverted?"

"Yeah. Probably."

"Who you guys talking about?"

Onew and Jonghyun flinched back at the sudden appearance of another voice but relaxed when they saw the owner.

"So?" Key asked, eyes flashing with interest.

"It's nothing really." Jonghyun laughed at his friend's weird hobby of listening in other people's conversations.

"Are you guys gossiping? Let me in." Key glared at the two, feeling left out.

"Nah it really was nothing." Onew grinned, allowing Key to feel trustful of them.

"Boo. How boring." Key puffed out his cheeks, obviously disappointed.

"Oh, wait. Tell Jonghyun about the 101 rumor going around, Key." Onew scooted over, making room for Key whose ears pricked up at 'rumor'.

"Ohhhh, that rumor." Key smirked, clearing his throat.

"Apparently, there's this new secret unofficial club in our school. There's only one member, and no one knows who she is. She doesn't reveal her face and if she does then it’s for a super special reason." Key said nonchalantly, fishing for Jonghyun's reaction.

"Oh? What kind of club is it?" Jonghyun asked.

"It's a club for... consulting. Specifically for love consulting." Key whispered, his smirk growing wider at Jonghyun's response at the word 'love'.

"H-huh? Love?"

"That's right. The club manager is called Miss Love Consultant, Miss LC for short. She's this genius who gets couples together with a 100% success rate. As long as you go to the old physics club room during club activity hours, she'll listen to you and help you get the person you're in love with." Key's tone of voice rose from 'quiet' to 'super-duper excited'.

"What are you serious?" Jonghyun tried to keep his voice from showing too much excitement.

Maybe... Maybe if I go to Miss LC and ask for help with Taeyeon sunbae...

"Yeah, she does it for no charge. And she keeps the client's identity a secret as long as her client keeps her a secret as well." Key snickered.

"Wow she must be a busy consultant." 

"Well, a person went there as a joke but she didn't appear. I think she only talks to the person if she knows they're serious. And she only shows her face to special cases, like probably the hopeless no good losers in love, but I don't think there's been a special case like that yet." Key shrugged.

Jonghyun held back a grin.

Is this a signal sent from heaven?!

"How does she consult with them?" Jonghyun asked.

Key paused before answering, causing Jonghyun to slap on a poker face.

"Not like I'm interested, it's just... weird." Jonghyun coughed.

"It's pretty fascinating." Onew nodded in agreement.

"Well, according to the more detailed rumors, the client has to talk about his love life thing in front of the door or something. If the door is opened by the end of the client's monologue; that means you're accepted into being consulted further about your love life. If not, Miss LC leaves a post it on the door for the client." Key stressed, trying to recall the juicy details of his hearings.

"A post it?" Jonghyun repeated, confused.

"Yeah, like. The person talks about their problem in their love life and comes back the next day to see a post it left for them answering their troubles."

"Wouldn't the identity of the client be revealed then?" Onew asked Jonghyun's question for him.

"From what I've seen, it's broad but detailed enough for the person who asked to know it was left for them."

"From what you've seen?" Jonghyun's composure was slowly diminishing.

"Yeah. I could take you guys there during lunch. We could check it out." Key nodded.

"Okay!" Jonghyun blurted, and cleared his throat when he caught himself.

"It could, ya know. Kill some time." Jonghyun shrugged, trying his best to seem uncaring about the whole situation.

"Yeah I guess." Onew nodded.

"In that case you guys owe me some brea-"

The classroom door opened with a loud click, the teacher walking in with annoyance.

"Why is it so loud in here? Get back in your seats!" The teacher barked, making the students rush to their seats.

Onew winced, and sneakily tried to exit the class.

"Lee Jinki!"

Onew flinched, turning around slowly.

"You forgot your textbook... again?" The teacher smiled with a smile so full of thorns, "My, my. Isn't this the fifth time?"

"Fourth actually, sir."

"GET OUT!"

The class burst out into laughter at the scampering figure of Onew being chased out by the irritated teacher.

Jonghyun laughed, also scrambling into his seat. 

His laugh was abruptly cut off when he noticed Ji Eun's gaze on him. 

Jonghyun hesitated in turning, but eventually made eye contact with Ji Eun.

"Is there some problem?" He asked quietly.

Ji Eun's eyes scanned Jonghyun from head to toe in a condescending manner, blinking slowly.

Jonghyun cocked his head in question.

The silent girl turned her attention back to her books, already turned to the assigned page.

Jonghyun made a face before also flipping to the textbook page.

What's with that girl.