Chapter 8

In control

Sorry if this wait is too long, but I think this is going to be around the normal time until a new chapter is up because I'm working on way too many things at the same time ^^"

Anyway, thank you so much for subscribing and sticking to this story although I feel like not much is happening. Thank you! <3 

 

--

Baekhyun was terribly aware of the presence close-by – he had woken up at the sound of a pen scribbling on a piece of paper since he hadn’t drifted off to sleep long ago, but while he had intended not to let that show, the sudden hand against his cheek shocked him to the point he couldn’t pretend anymore. Chanyeol was already at the other end of the living room by the time Baekhyun’s eyes opened, but he didn’t quite understand what was going on.

“Chanyeol?” he asked, uncertain if he was going to get any sort of response to his liking. He was confused beyond limit because what reason was there for Chanyeol to want to touch his face all of a sudden?

“I – I need to go, they called and I don’t have a choice,” he said and the tremble in his voice didn’t go unnoticed, nor did the higher pitch.

“Oh. Of course,” he answered, trying to hide the disappointment because it wasn’t Chanyeol’s fault and although he hadn’t a clue of the idol-scene, he always got the idea that it was extremely strict and uptight – a wonder he even got the time he already had with Chanyeol. He sat up straight to watch as Chanyeol struggled with his shoes and it hit Baekhyun that he didn’t want this to be the last they saw of each other – it couldn’t be. However, when he was about to say something about it, the taller man’s demeanor changed almost 180 degrees as he looked up again at Baekhyun’s face across the small hallway and the living room.

“I could come back later and cook for you tonight?” he said with the most dazzling smile Baekhyun had ever seen on a person and he didn’t even have the mind to think about why he suddenly wasn’t flustered anymore. He felt his own face flush red and the thought that maybe Chanyeol liked him crossed his mind briefly before he answered.

“I’d love that,” he said in a small voice, quite unsure whether he wanted Chanyeol to have heard it or not.

 

The rest of the day was spent with being lazy and Kyungsoo worrying about him through texts and eventually a call, but Baekhyun assured him he was doing quite fine, which he was. After all, he was being taken care of by Chanyeol, even if he wasn’t there at the moment. Sehun stalked him several times that Lu Han and him were having great conversations and that Baekhyun was his hero – he still needed to repay him.

Then, at around six thirty, when Baekhyun was merely splaying himself on his couch, bored out of his mind because he just wanted to earn money again, his phone rang again. Kyungsoo – although he had already shown his concern so many times before on the same day. He realized it was the museum’s closing time.

“How are you now?” Kyungsoo asked, again and Baekhyun could only sigh and chuckle.

“I just said I’m fine, right? I just need rest,” he emphasized. Kyungsoo was silent for a while before he spoke again.

“I’m sorry, I must be annoying the out of you,” he said and Baekhyun quickly shook his head although Kyungsoo couldn’t see that of course. He squeezed in that he wasn’t annoying him at all and the other man seemed satisfied enough. “You know… I actually called you just now because well… this …” he chuckled nervously and Baekhyun squinted his eyes at the distance he was staring in, waiting for Kyungsoo to continue. “This really handsome kid just came here, looking for you. Saying something about a Sehun who had told him you work here– are you seeing someone?” For a moment, Baekhyun blanked. Chanyeol didn’t know Sehun. The only one that knew Sehun and Baekhyun too, was Jongin. He thought, at least.

“What? No! No… and that guy–” What should he say? Why was Jongin still trying while Baekhyun thought it completely obvious that they weren’t ever going to work out because it was just too awkward?

“That guy?” Kyungsoo pressed.

“Ugh. I’m not sure, it’s just–” How awkward is it to say someone is actually your fan and is crushing on you while you’re just– not sure at all? “I don’t like him that way and I thought – honestly – he had gotten that message,” he continued although he wasn’t even sure if he had been that obvious about it. Kyungsoo was silent for another while.

“Oh. I gave him your address though,” he said in the smallest voice Baekhyun ever heard through a phone. Oh my god this wasn’t good, Baekhyun thought with the swell of panic in his stomach. How was he going to reject such a sweet kid in person – someone he thought he had already rejected? Control was slipping through his fingers yet again and he wasn’t sure what to do now. He had hung up on Kyungsoo without realizing it, but he didn’t regret it entirely. Kyungsoo should have asked him first before doing something rash like that – before breaking the trust Baekhyun started to have in him.

The bell to his door rang and Baekhyun shot up in fear – he wasn’t ready to face Jongin, at all. But he couldn’t leave him standing there so he stood up with a knot in his stomach and the feeling as if someone was pressing on his throat. He opened the door with trembling and sweaty fingers, but as the handle slipped from his hands, he was greeted with the smiling face of Chanyeol who had brought supplies. Baekhyun had never been so relieved in his entire life and a contented smile found its way to his lips together with a relieved sigh. It all happened quickly and before Chanyeol could say or do anything, Baekhyun pulled him inside by his wrist to close the door behind him.

“Seems like you’re doing a lot better?” Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun felt a little embarrassed by how he was behaving, but decided it wasn’t worth it because he was feeling better now that Chanyeol was back. He hadn’t gotten much of the sleep he wanted – and that did piss him off – but seeing Chanyeol walk around in his own house, he definitely preferred that over sleep.

“I am,” he said anyway because it was the truth. Chanyeol took his shoes and jacket off in a way that made it seem as if he had visited Baekhyun for years now and the thought made Baekhyun a little nervous yet happy too. They went to the kitchen and Chanyeol began unpacking the food he had bought and explained – while rummaging through cupboards here and there to find what he needed – why he had been called away. Another meeting, regarding a concert next week. Baekhyun felt like the worst fan ever and wasn’t going to hide it. “I totally forgot about that… It’s probably sold out already, isn’t it?” he asked, finally feeling as if he didn’t need to be a puddle of mush around Chanyeol anymore. That is, when Chanyeol would keep his searching eyes to himself and not on Baekhyun’s face.

“Maybe I can talk to my manager and think of something,” Chanyeol said pensively as the butter melted smoothly in the pan, filling Baekhyun’s nose pleasantly and he felt he was actually quite hungry.

“No, it’s alright – I can always go to the next one.” He only spoke softly as he watched Chanyeol cook, something he was sure he’d want to see more often. He was rather sure the tall man wanted to retort with something because he rather abruptly turned around at Baekhyun’s words, but another ring of his doorbell made them both jump slightly. Chanyeol laughed at the stupidity, but Baekhyun couldn’t shake the feeling that it was Jongin and he needed to do things he didn’t want to. Chanyeol noticed how Baekhyun was a little too reluctant to answer the door, so he put his utensils down to push Baekhyun out of the kitchen – something the small man definitely didn’t see coming.

“Go on, I won’t burn down your house,” he said with a chuckle and it only reminded Baekhyun of the short moment Chanyeol hadn’t been so sure of himself and a light frown appeared on his face, but he pushed the thoughts away. It was time to deal with Jongin.

“Oh my god, it smells so good in here.” Baekhyun barely even opened the door before it was pushed open further by none other than Jongdae, his colleague and friend. He felt another burden slide off his shoulders, but was unable to reply to the other man’s words because he had more to say. “Hey, whose shoes are those? A little big for your tiny ones. And- I’m hearing clattering in the kitchen, it’s not you who’s cooking. Do you have your own personal cook now?” he blabbered on and on and Baekhyun was a little bit overwhelmed when an apple was shoved into his hands. “For your health,” he mumbled before slipping passed Baekhyun and into his living room, looking right into the kitchen and Chanyeol who was busying himself there. “Oh! I see,” he said, pointing between the two others who awkwardly stared at different points, somehow a little afraid to meet each other’s eyes now. But Chanyeol was the first to recover from this slightly awkward and embarrassing meeting with Baekhyun’s friend.

“Hi, I’m Chanyeol,” he said, putting down the pan he had picked up to stir the veggies with a spatula, and held out his hand for Jongdae to shake. It earned him a high-pitched, short laugh from the shorter male.

“I know, of course, I’m Jongdae, here to help out Baekhyun but I guess that’s a little bit unnecessary with you around,” he slapped Chanyeol on the arm after shaking his hand and somewhere in the back of his mind, Baekhyun wondered if he had been drinking before coming over here or if he was just being hyperactive because of something that happened before. While Jongdae was busy chatting with Chanyeol – who seemed a little overwhelmed like Baekhyun had, but soon seemed totally okay with the lively personality and joined in – Baekhyun received yet another heart-attack. Jongdae commented on how popular Baekhyun had gotten when he made his way to open the door but he heard the two in the kitchen continue their conversation as if they’d known each other for years.

“Jongin,” Baekhyun said, feeling as if he could be throwing up at the unease he was feeling. The taller man had a small bouquet of flowers and looked a little bashful, something that made Baekhyun feel all the more bad about himself.

“I wanted to apologize – you know, for not being clear and all that… so I thought–” Jongin said, but stopped himself as he heard the two loud boys in the kitchen. Jongdae was joking about Chanyeol being such a good boyfriend to Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn’t deny it – probably because he knew it was a joke. Jongin stood awkwardly opposite an equally awkward Baekhyun who wanted to clarify the situation as to not hurt him, but couldn’t because of multiple reasons. “Oh I – well – I guess I’m a little too late,” he said quickly, a swift smile on his face that wasn’t the most convincing one Baekhyun had ever seen. Jongin pushed the flowers in his hands. “Get well soon, okay?” he finished before turning around and never looking back. 

--

 

Well this is a mess, I can totally agree with that xD I hope you liked it though ^^