Chapter 4

In control

Thank you for subscribing and commenting! I'm not sure about this chapter but-

 

--

Wow. Missed calls and text messages – when had Baekhyun become this popular? He figured Jongdae, but a closer look told him it was his manager. He frowned skeptically as he waited for the subway at the station, but he quickly felt his heart-beat rise when he saw what it was all about. Baekhyun pick up your phone, this is important. Baekhyun, I need to discuss this with you- I thought you weren’t working Saturdays except with us. Right, since you’re not answering – I want you to sing tonight, well no, I need you to sing tonight.

 

There were more messages, but Baekhyun didn’t care to read them. Instead, he dialed Minseok’s number and didn’t go inside when the train stopped at his station. He wouldn’t be rude and annoy the other passengers.

 

“I’ve been trying the whole day to get you to speak to me!” Minseok unexpectedly raised his voice and Baekhyun flinched.

 

“I can’t sing tonight, I’m not prepared,” he protested, but tried keeping his voice down as he was trying not to make a scene in front of people he didn’t even know.

 

“Jongdae can’t make it, he’s down with the flu and so many people will–”

 

“They want to see Jongdae, not me.” This wasn’t the conversation Baekhyun wanted to have, not after he had just had a great – weird – day.

 

“I’ll pay you 20 percent extra,” the older man pleaded and Baekhyun frowned. Was he that easily bribed or what?

 

“What? No, I can’t do it, not tonight, I’m sorry,” he said, although he wasn’t all that sorry. This was not what he signed up for and Minseok, above all others, knew very well what their contract was like. He could hear his manager sigh and that was when Baekhyun did feel sorry. Although he wasn’t fond of surprises this big, he disliked to disappoint even more. “Okay I’ll do it. Just send me which songs and I’ll prepare… but nothing much, okay?”

 

“You are a lifesaver,” Minseok said in relief, but Baekhyun rolled his eyes. He didn’t want for it to come this far.

 

 

When he got home, he was thinking about Yixing, since he only played when it was Baekhyun’s turn to sing, so he wasn’t sure if he was going to be present. And he probably wouldn’t be comfortable with anyone else… But Baekhyun sighed at himself, he was being whiny again, although he didn’t voice it to anyone. He was just facing this obstacle right now and he had to beat it, he had to become a better person than the one he was now. Baekhyun hated his flaws and this was a chance to, maybe, try and get over this silly part of his brain. Nothing was really wrong with a little bit of unexpected at times.

 

So Baekhyun got to the bar with a heavy heart, but was, for the first time, willing to take on a challenge this big. Today was already a weird one, he told himself, and the songs weren’t the most difficult – he rather liked them. A few more breaths and he stepped inside – complete chaos. There were many more people than usually and they didn’t even fit. He could barely squeeze his way through the crowd and his eyes landed on the small stage, the source of the ruckus. Chanyeol. He was setting up some equipment while some fans were trying to reach for his ankles and Baekhyun just stood there because why was this happening again? Did Minseok know something about his first – unrequited – love? Was there any reason Jongdae decided to be ill today? He didn’t have any time to think as a hand on his back shoved him forwards.

 

“Please, Baekhyun, get ready, we can’t keep someone like that waiting,” Minseok said in a hushed voice Baekhyun barely heard over all the noise. He snapped out of his daze and figured he needed to say something to him now and the peace he had found with this situation only a few minutes ago, washed away as this was yet another unforeseen thing. Nevertheless, he told himself he had no time for this – not anymore. Maybe this had to be the last time he would ever feel this helpless, or else, he was pretty sure there were going to be major problems in his life to come. He cleared his voice as he climbed up the stage and unfortunately, the whole crowed fell silent.

 

“Uh…” Baekhyun started, still trying to figure out what to say, but with everyone listening to a conversation that should have been private, he didn’t know anymore. He said the first thing that came to mind. “I didn’t expect this.” Chanyeol laughed as he sat down on the stool prepared for him, guitar sitting on his lap, hands already in place. It was something Baekhyun wasn’t prepared for and the sweat was pouring while his hands were shaking lightly.

 

“I asked your manager – but we should get started, don’t you think? All these people,” he laughed a little awkwardly and Baekhyun couldn’t do much more than smile a small, timid smile and nod. He grabbed the microphone and addressed the already silent audience, something which wasn’t usual.

 

“Jongdae is down with the flu, so I’m covering for him. And apparently, there is a special guest,” he gestured vaguely in Chanyeol’s direction, “a round of applause,” he said softly, but there was barely any need as the whole crowd broke into chaos yet again, until Chanyeol started playing the first song.

 

Somehow, Baekhyun calmed down completely. He wasn’t nervous and he certainly didn’t feel the need to get away from there and do what he normally would have done on a Saturday night. He forgot it was Chanyeol who played and spared him not even a glance as he felt completely in his element and it wasn’t important who played for him. He missed the glances directed towards him, the plead for some kind of recognition which Baekhyun wasn’t giving – at least not to anyone who didn’t know him. The fact that Baekhyun was comfortable was recognition in itself, but Chanyeol didn’t know that.

 

When they were done, Baekhyun didn’t know what to say, so a nervous smile was all he could muster. Chanyeol got ambushed by fans who wanted an autograph and whatnot and Baekhyun quickly made his way back behind the counter, where he belonged. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he wondered where Chanyeol’s managers were and why they weren’t keeping the crazy fans from him, but there wasn’t all that much he could do anyway. When there was enough distance between them, Baekhyun dared looked at Chanyeol again and when the tall man looked up and their eyes met again, Baekhyun finally gave an appreciative smile and although he got one in return, it took Chanyeol several seconds. Minseok had joined him as a bartender as Jongdae was absent and handed him a small envelop.

 

“Chanyeol asked me to give you this,” he said, “I don’t know how you two know each other, but he was really keen on performing with you today.” Baekhyun frowned lightly as he took an order and quickly filled the appropriate glasses with strong liquor.

 

“But Saturdays are Jongdae’s.” Minseok shrugged.

 

“Well. He asked yesterday if it was alright and I told him you didn’t perform today. But then Jongdae called in sick – and well. This happened. You didn’t really seem to mind though,” Minseok teased and Baekhyun was on the verge of asking what the other man exactly knew, but he didn’t and opened the envelop instead.

 

 

I remember you were shy in high-school. Looks like you still are haha. Send me a message some time?

 

 

It was signed Chanyeol, with a phone number after his name. He actually went through all that trouble. Baekhyun was mindlessly staring at it and Minseok noticed – it was hard to miss – so he took over Baekhyun’s entire shift after he told him to go to his office instead. Which was when he realized Chanyeol had already left – while he was busy staring at some stupid piece of paper while he could have – should have – been talking to him.

 

“Why?” he sighed and Minseok chuckled.

 

“Well, your thoughts aren’t really here and I think I can handle this on my own. I’ll come and get you if I need you.”

 

“Can’t I just go home then?” Baekhyun asked with a pleading smile on his face. He wouldn’t mind going to sleep early.

 

“Sure. But I want you to go to my office first – I sent Chanyeol there to talk to you because he asked if he could,” Minseok said and Baekhyun just didn’t get it.

 

“All of a sudden he comes here, requests all this stuff of you and you’re okay with everything?”

 

“I would be if you asked me anything too, but you never do, so you wouldn’t really know,” Minseok said with a hint of a smile, although he pretended to be stern. “Just go there, maybe we can do some golden business – I’ve never seen this many people here before.”

 

“You’re sure you don’t need me then?”

 

“Yes. Now go, okay? We’ll hire someone soon,” he added and Baekhyun knew there wasn’t much point in trying to stay away from the daunting office any longer. But, he thought, why would Chanyeol have given him the slip of paper with his number on it if he was going to talk to him anyway? But did it really matter? To Baekhyun, it did. He wanted clarity at all times, but he had noticed it wasn’t like that for everyone and he wouldn’t be getting it always either. He knocked on the door and opened it to find Chanyeol awkwardly standing there, probably because it wasn’t his own office.

 

“My manager said you wanted to talk to me?” Baekhyun said, some hesitation in his voice but he tried to ignore those stupid feelings.

 

“Ah- yes.”