Chapter 3

In control

Thank you so much for subscribing! I hope this doesn't disappoint.

 

--

Baekhyun was still feeling a bit off because of what happened yesterday – Chanyeol had heard and seen him sing and he had smiled at him, yet, he didn’t know what any of it meant. It made him anxious, but excited all the same. He had the feeling that even though he denied it yesterday, he thought that today, he would be meeting him again. And he was looking forward to it, even though it scared him to think of meeting him again on his day off.

Yet, he was up earlier than he was when he had to work and as he had nothing better to do, he went early as he had gone through his morning ritual already anyway. His nerves always weighed heavier than his need to sleep longer, it seemed, but Baekhyun didn’t particularly mind – he might meet Chanyeol after all.

He even anticipated seeing him at the subway, had his little talk ready – ‘hey, I thought I saw you yesterday’ and stuff – but of course there was no Chanyeol. It was earlier than it was the day he met him and it might very well have been a one-time thing, Baekhyun realized.

God. There he went again– thinking of everything and anything until he couldn’t even stand himself any longer. (He even dressed in a fancier suit than he normally did, he realized after he just told himself to stop.)

“You’re earlier than I expected,” Kyungsoo commented upon his entering and Baekhyun barely did anything but shrug lightly at him. “They will be here in about half an hour,” he announced, but Baekhyun knew that and inwardly, he rolled his eyes.

“Right. And if I didn’t know already, the fans outside would have been clear enough about it not taking too long anymore,” he said and realized he was being stupid. “Sorry,” he added with a frown. “What do you want me to do today?” If Kyungsoo was in any way bothered by the weird way Baekhyun was acting, he didn’t show it as a small smile easily shone through his otherwise rather strict appearance.

“Well since we’re expecting many people, I want you to be on the lookout for any strange behavior. I know I said you’d just be here in case something happened, but I actually want you to try and prevent that from happening. Just – keep your eyes open.” That wasn’t much of a plan. Just stay there and look around for… for what even? Baekhyun had no clue. What was strange behavior even? He might as well include himself on the list of things he’d consider weird, but that wouldn’t really make things easier. And Kyungsoo left already, to do some stuff Baekhyun had no insight in and he was left standing in the first hall of the gallery, wondering what the hell he should actually be doing by now.

 

The CEO entered and outside, the fangirls were as uneasy as they could possibly get, but they didn’t dare make a lot of noise. Baekhyun stretched his neck, desperately trying to catch a glimpse of Chanyeol before he’d come inside, but he didn’t see him. How would he be able to miss someone his height though? He was left a little confused when it was someone entirely different following behind the boss of SM Entertainment. It was Lu Han, the Chinese young man who had a voice that made Baekhyun shiver whenever he listened to his the songs – Chinese was a beautiful language after all, he thought. He didn’t even know the singer was in Korea at the moment as he was usually away, promoting in China. He couldn’t help but be in awe at seeing him, although it wasn’t quite who he was expecting – or hoping to see, really. He introduced himself as part of the formal routine when guiding important figures through the museum – even if it wasn’t him that was going to do it – and then, the two wandered off with Kyungsoo.

Nothing much happened at first, the fangirls that did bother getting their tickets and going inside, behaved like little children about to get punished if they did anything other than breathing and following behind the three important people. Baekhyun was bouncing on the balls of his feet and looked on as many of the security team stuck close to all of them, making sure that those fans did indeed nothing other than the above actions. Baekhyun didn’t really need to be there, he reasoned, he’d just be in the way with so many people.

But that was when he caught sight of a rather tall man standing somewhere further away, aiming his camera at Lu Han through some hallways and carefully structured holes in the walls. Baekhyun frowned. This kid, what was he even doing? He walked over to the guy who held the camera and when he came into the other man’s view, he quickly put the thing away and pretended he wasn’t doing anything.

“I’m sorry, but there are no cameras allowed in the museum,” he said, feeling a little bit off because this was not his usual job and his usual job did not require telling someone off. The young man hesitated – as if he wasn’t sure whether to deny the whole thing altogether or make up another weird excuse.

“Relax, I was only filming Lu Han, I don’t care for your art,” he said with played confidence and Baekhyun noticed he had a lisp – something that made him smile unconsciously.

“Still, these are the rules.”

“Oh come on. This is the last chance I have before he goes to China again and I just- I want to have something… what if I’d never see him again after this–” he rambled desperately and Baekhyun was afraid they were causing a scene and he made a face.

“Be quiet, okay? Come on, I’ll take you to my office and we’ll talk there – maybe I can do something for you,” he said in a rushed voice, although he was practically sure there was nothing he could do for the fan. He just wanted him to get out of the public area and since he knew what it was like to be a desperate fan, he didn’t want to report him in to anyone although he was quite sure the security cameras would have footage of this already. Maybe he could do something for him about that. The young man followed him quietly after grumbling some more about Lu Han leaving. “So, what’s the big deal? You know you’re not allowed to have a camera on you in this museum and yet you do it? If you really wanted him on camera, why not do it outside?”

“I dunno,” he muttered and Baekhyun shook his head.

“Right. You know – I get it. If they find out about you using a camera, I’ll tell them you erased it all and I wish you’d really do that. But because I’m in a similar situation as you are, I’ll ask Kyungsoo and the CEO and Lu Han if they’re alright with coming back here for a little bit, so you can meet your–”

“Whoa wait – no, no you can’t do that. I mean – I appreciate the thought, but even if you could manage to make that happen – I can’t.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Baekhyun said dumbly, lacking other ideas.

“No – no I’m causing trouble,” the young man said after a short silence and he took his camera out of his bag after which he pushed some buttons. “I deleted everything I took here,” he said.

“Oh. Well- right that’s good. I can let you go now,” Baekhyun said after a while of thinking. However before the fan could leave, the door opened and Kyungsoo showed himself first, after which the CEO of SM Entertainment and Lu Han followed. All in Baekhyun’s small, cramped office. The fan did his best hiding behind Baekhyun, but he was quite a bit taller and it was painfully obvious that this was the most awkward scene he had ever been in.

“I heard from security there was a situation?” Kyungsoo asked Baekhyun nonetheless, paying no mind to the other person in the room.

“Oh – well that’s all resolved,” Baekhyun said although he knew he didn’t sound quite as convincing, but that was merely because this wasn’t his job and this wasn’t what he was good at.

“Then why is he hiding?” the CEO asked and Baekhyun was struggling to find words to cover for the young man’s weird actions, but he could think of nothing but the awkward truth.

“He’s Lu Han’s fan – he filmed Lu Han secretly and I asked him to delete the images which he did, that’s all. He’s ashamed.” But why didn’t he say it all himself?

“Why did you have to say that,” he whined behind Baekhyun and it just made sense – this young man was just a love-struck kid and Baekhyun thought he didn’t really mind taking care of him. However, his comment didn’t go unnoticed and even as he bowed an apology and wanted to leave already, Lu Han decided he wasn’t done with his fan yet. He took his latest album and a black marker – something Baekhyun suspected he was going to do for someone else today.

“What’s your name?” he asked before taking the cap off.

“Sehun,” the fan said softly while looking down – Baekhyun swore he had never seen anything as cute as this before, but said nothing as everyone kept quiet. The squeaking of the black marker on one of the pages of the album was the only thing heard before Lu Han held out the closed booklet to Sehun.

“I was going to give this to the manager, but I guess I will have to come by another time for that. Thank you for taking care of the situation,” he said to Baekhyun before the trio made their way out of the cramped space. He could hear the CEO’s frustrated words as Lu Han was being irresponsible since there were so many other fans standing there and he just gave special attention to the only one that didn’t obey the rules. Baekhyun grinned. This Sehun kid was luckier than he would ever be, he thought.

“I’m so sorry for making such a mess out of this thing – I will apologize and thank you properly very soon,” Sehun said, his face still red and his hands shaking somewhat. “What do I call you?”

“Baekhyun,” he replied with a grin and Sehun left. Things didn’t go as they normally went – at all – but it was a good day, better than most even. 

--

 

I'm not even sure what this is- suddenly hunhan xD but anyway. Thank you for reading! c: