Chapter 5

In control

Thank you for subscribing and commenting! The wait was a little bit longer, I was busy ^^' 

 

--

“I never thanked you.” Baekhyun waited for Chanyeol to continue, but he didn’t. Well, at least he was sure the tall man remembered him.

“For what?” he asked as he sat down on his manager’s desk, pretty sure the other man wouldn’t mind too much.

“Well that one time – you were just about the only one who didn’t laugh at me for that interview.” He remembered, not only Baekhyun’s face, but their meaningless conversation too.

“That was nothing,” Baekhyun said, trying to cover up how happy he felt that this was even happening.

“It was to me. You know,” he continued, but sounded just that bit insecure, “I wasn’t planning on talking to you like this, since I already meant to give you that note, did you get it?” Baekhyun nodded, holding out the envelope in which the rapper’s number stood. “Good. Well – I was just wondering if you were, maybe, angry with me for, you know, making you sing tonight,” he said. Seeing Chanyeol looking at the ground like that, as if there was anything he had to be afraid of concerning Baekhyun, made him feel a little bad.

“No, no not at all,” he quickly said, although he clearly remembered he hadn’t been happy at all.

“Oh. I thought you were pissed, to be honest.” Baekhyun furrowed his brows. Was that the way others saw him when he was concentrating on something? When he was actually feeling really good?

“That’s just my face,” he heard himself saying, although it sounded like it wasn’t him.

“I didn’t mean to offend you.” Baekhyun quickly waved his hands in front of his face and hated how awkward this conversation was. He really hoped that they would meet again and that they would do a little better than this. “You know – it was really nice meeting you again. I have to get going now though, I’m expected at some fancy meeting.” Chanyeol smiled apologetically and all Baekhyun could really do was wish him luck before the tall man had already left the office.

It took him a moment, but it finally began to sink in just how stupid he was being. He could have said and done a lot of things and all he actually had done, was being shy and unable to show this person who he really was. He didn’t want to keep thinking about it but the conversation they had, kept coming back to his mind and now, he was wondering why there would be some fancy meeting this late. Then again, Baekhyun had no idea how life went for stars like Chanyeol. He shook his head, he was going to take Minseok up on that offer and just go home already. He’d try to write Chanyeol a message, too.

When he got out of the office and was ready to announce to his manager he would be going home, he was caught off guard by a young man he vaguely remembered, but wasn’t sure what from. Although he was rather tall and looked handsome enough not to be insecure, he approached Baekhyun in a shy manner he hadn’t seen coming.

“Um… I uh… I you know – I didn’t expect to see you sing tonight,” the stranger said, fumbling with the sleeves of the shirt he wore. Baekhyun merely looked up at him questioningly. He had probably seen him around the bar a few times. “You don’t sing on Saturdays.”

“No that’s right,” he replied, as if there was any need to – which there was, because this stranger was being really awkward and Baekhyun couldn’t figure out what he wanted from him.

“Well–” He stopped talking and furrowed his brows again and Baekhyun waited because he felt bad and he wouldn’t want to walk away after someone had gone through all the trouble to talk to him in the first place. The awkward silence didn’t last much longer though when Sehun, the fan at the museum, showed up behind the stranger.

“Oh! You’re… What was your name again…” Sehun said and Baekhyun smiled, ready to introduce himself a second time to him, but he wasn’t left much of a chance to do so.

“His name is Baekhyun, idiot,” the stranger said under his breath, but both Sehun and Baekhyun had heard him, the shorter man feeling a blush creep up on his cheeks. Sehun burst out laughing though and he was shot a pretty nasty look by the other man.

“No need to get all upset, Jonginnie. Sorry though, that I didn’t remember… you never guess what Lu Han wrote when he signed the album oh my god!” Baekhyun was a little bit shaken because Sehun had looked like such a timid boy when he met him just that afternoon, but maybe that was only because his idol was in the same building and eventually, the same room as him. He knew he got all flustered himself whenever Chanyeol was near, so it wasn’t all that weird to see this energetic person right in front of him now.

“Well no, I don’t think I can guess that… but you’ll probably tell me,” he chuckled and somewhere in the back of his mind, he wondered why he was comfortable with this man he didn’t even know. It had been like that with Jongdae too – maybe it was just because both of them were so easily opening up to him.

“His phone number,” he said and he laughed in a totally creepy way, but Baekhyun was happy – just like he had been when he was there when the two met.

“You’re freaking me out, Sehun,” Jongin said, probably more embarrassed than actually freaked out.

“I’m Baekhyun.” He felt the need to introduce himself, even though he apparently already knew him, but as soon as he talked to the tall boy, he seemed to retreat right back into his shell.

“Jongin,” he said, barely audible above the music that played only softly. Baekhyun smiled, but felt a little bit weird that he was behaving as if he was crushing on him.

“Hyung – I mean, you are my hyung, right?”

“I guess,” Baekhyun shrugged at Sehun and while they exchanged the details surrounding their birth years, Sehun continued.

“I need your number too, so I can – I don’t know – do something for you some day.” Right as he said that, though, his already pale face became paler as he turned to Jongin, trying to keep his voice down but not succeeding. “Oh my god sorry that wasn’t supposed to happen. You didn’t ask him out yet, did you?”

“You are by far the worst, you know that?” Jongin said, obviously upset and Baekhyun wasn’t sure what to do – the tall man had wanted to ask him out? Not just anybody, but him? While he felt flattered, he also felt like that was wrong because he had such overwhelming feelings for Chanyeol… as if that was ever going to turn out into something at all… Jongdae was right, he needed to get over himself. That didn’t mean that he would try going out with this guy though – he would be comparing him just like he did with every other guy.

Jongin walked out on them and Baekhyun didn’t blame him for it. Sehun didn’t seem to either and he took his phone from his pocket, handing it to Baekhyun after he found the screen to add a new contact. Although Baekhyun wondered what he possibly could do for him, he entered his information because Sehun seemed like someone who wouldn’t betray him.

“I’ll just pass your number to him too. And I’m sorry – I’m usually not this bad, but I’m just so excited today, I’m sure you can imagine.”

“I guess I can. Well – I’ll hear from you. Good luck with Lu Han.”

 

He got home with mixed feelings, but the one thing he really wanted to do, was send Chanyeol a message of some sort. Anything to let the other man know that he hadn’t simply forgotten about it and also to show that he really wasn’t angry. How could he even think that anyway – it felt disturbing and it made him feel all the more insecure that someone would feel that way about him when he was enjoying himself.

Fancy meeting over?

He sent it right away, not willing to overthink it and change unnecessary stuff. But as he got a few minutes to think about it, he wondered if Chanyeol even knew that it was Baekhyun who sent it. Should he send another one? Just leave it like that? He wasn’t sure. He also wasn’t sure whether Chanyeol had gotten it because time kept creeping by and he didn’t get a reply even after an hour. Probably nothing though, he told himself. After all, the rapper wasn’t obliged to reply right away – if at all. But then finally, as he had already changed into his pajamas and was on his way to bed, his phone buzzed and the beating in his chest told him that he was way too nervous to read it.

Finally T-T I couldn’t check my phone the whole time, but I’m on my way home now ^^ this is Baekhyun though, right?

Stupid stomach – making him feel all upset over this. And what should he do? Reply instantly or leave some time in between? He didn’t really want to though, although he wasn’t sure what to say at all.

Good. Yes this is Baekhyun

Would he look stupid or weird if he added emoticons? This just wasn’t right – this sounded stupid and curt. He didn’t want that. But what did he want? In the end, he merely added :) to the end and after he pressed ‘send’ he face palmed because that was stupid but he couldn’t take it back anymore. His heart skipped around ten beats though, at reading the next message that came in way too quickly.

Would you mind if I took you out tomorrow for lunch?