Chapter 9

Dancing On My Own
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Taemin!” Yeonhee shouted from a distance down the hallway, but Taemin didn’t hear it as he still continued to walk. The hallway was crowded with students who were so busy getting their books and other things from their lockers. Yeonhee overheard a group of students talking about boys and how they’ll be having fun tonight. “Taemin!” Yeonhee shouted again as she decided to run to him and as she was close enough she tapped him on the shoulder. “Tae..min” Yeonhee panted, as if she just walked from her apartment to the school.

Taemin turned around with his bag on his left shoulder, “heey!” he said.

“Wew! That was a good 5-second run” she laughed, recovering quickly, “I just want to apologize for what happened last night.” she explained. She was apologizing for being… weird. It’s weird for a person to just walk out while they were enjoying the night. “I kind of felt… how do I say this.. I was just out of my mind and that I was really-“

“Hey it’s okay! You don’t have to worry.” Taemin chuckled, “we were just worried about you that something might have happened.”

She exhaled, relieved that he had understood, “I’m really sorry for that. Let’s just forget it happened.”

“Sure thing. Ravi might have already forgotten your name.” Taemin joked while they both laughed, “are you on your way to class?” he asked.

Yeonhee checked her watch, her expression turned guarded, “Oh no no, my next class would be in 2 hours actually..” she said, “our dance class.” She added.

“Oh?” he stared at her in wonder, “Weird… that’ll be my next class too” he grinned.

“No wonder you’re not in your uniform..” she eyed him and nodded her head

“Same to you.” they both laughed. He hesitated a bit, “You want to talk for 2 hours?”

“1 hour and 45 minutes," she said, "We have 15 minutes to go upstairs" she giggled.

"Maybe not that long," said Taemin."10 minutes will do"

" I just hope Mr. Jung-Monster would be late for 5 minutes.” she said, they both started to walk.

“Oh, that's right. And it’s time for him to do some push-ups," giggles were heard from the both of them.

 

 

“So how long you and your boyfriend have been together?” Taemin asked while sitting on one of the benches in the school garden. He looked around and nodded in approval of how peaceful it was.

“Hmm..” Yeonhee also seated beside him, “Maybe more than a year? I don’t know exactly.”

Taemin laughed thinking she was joking, but then she saw the expression on her face, and it was a serious one, “..you’re not joking?” he looked alarm. Yeonhee half smiled and nodded her head, “I’m not.” while suppressing a quiet laugh.

“Wow..” Taemin mumbled, “What do you mean you don’t know exactly?”

“I just don’t remember and I’ve lost counts of the days we’ve been together.” she said, “I’ve forgotten how many days we’ve been together, I’ve forgotten what he looks like up close, I’ve forgotten his smell, his touch, his smiles.. and every night all I hear is the word ‘sorry’ like it’s our own vocabulary of saying I love you. I’ve forgotten the last time—“

“--you’ve been happy. You forgot how to be happy.” his eyes drifted back to her face and he smiled at her appreciatively, “you’re not happy anymore, is that what you’re saying?” she looked at him stunned, after a few seconds of silence, she smiled, “No.” she looked away, “I’m at the happiest at this moment actually.” she could see what he was thinking behind that fixed stare, “because finally he acknowledged me to the people closest to him even if I’m just one of his girl-friends.”

“What?” Taemin gave her a curious look, “So you mean your relationship is just…”

“A secret. It all has been a secret” she added.

“And you’re fine with that?” he asked, “that’s like you being a prisoner of your own happiness; it won’t let you feel what is like to be happy.”

“I’m gonna tell you something once..” she brought up her legs and sat cross-legged facing Taemin, “If one day you’ll fall in love, you’d understand my situation. You’d understand that I get happy with little things, even if it looks stupid to other people.”

“But that’s full of crap!” his voice rang in the garden, “No offence

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter