Page Seven

Turning Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai couldn’t hide the grin on his face as he stole a glimpse at Jangmi who was looking far away. Jeno was at the back seat and was playing with his phone.

Things were not actually going as he wanted them to go but he found a way to get back on his tracks. He thought he wouldn’t find a chance to talk to Jangmi again after the incident where she told him that she doesn’t like him. But the heavens gave him another one and he’s going to make it a blast.

Flashback

“The feeling’s not mutual”

Those words shot him down and his heart fell into pieces. He’s sure of what he feels for Jangmi but she’s not really giving him a chance. Even he, himself, thought that he wouldn’t give a guy who’s acting like an airhead the opportunity to date him if she was a girl.

At that instant, he wanted to tell her that he knew her from a long time ago but his mind already made the calculation of what the outcome would be. Jangmi doesn’t recognize him and even if he told her at that time that he knew her when they were younger, there’s a big percentage that she’s not going to believe him or she’s not going to remember him at all.

It was a very long time ago – 11 years to be exact. He wanted to present himself with a better personality. Jangmi hates him now and he knows that. Why did he even put up with the act that he’s such an airhead to begin with? A part of him wanted to see Jangmi’s face when she’s flustered because of his blunt comments but a part of him wanted to cut the acting.

Thoughts flooded his head as he stared at Jangmi walking away. He never confessed to anyone before despite all the girls showing their interest on him. When he was still in Sangin, he just focused on his studies, basketball games and dancing gigs. Looking for Jangmi was not that easy. When he just came back from the U.S., the first thing that he did was look for Jangmi.

He wanted to see her again. There are several people with the name Ryu Jangmi and he started the process of elimination. When he was a freshman in Sangin, that was the time that he saw her again. Even after a long time of not seeing her, he recognized her. It was an interschool conference and he could still remember that she was sitting in front.

At that time, the speaker asked a question and she confidently answered it. The speaker even praised her for her answer. A smart and confident girl – that’s Ryu Jangmi. He wanted to meet her again after that but there was no chance to do that. He wanted to introduce himself confidently but he couldn’t muster the courage to do so.

He learned that she’s going to Shinhwa High School and when he saw her at the mall after 2 years, he knew that that was the second chance that he was waiting for. The wrong thing that he did was to act like how he’s acting right now.

After his confession was dumped like a trash, Taemin called him. He has been bugging Kai about his sudden personality change when they were at the mall with Jangmi, Hyemi and Sehun.

“So you’re telling me that Jangmi is the Jangmi that you were looking for all these years?” Taemin asked in disbelief. Despite all the blaring music from the other line, Kai could recognize the tone from Taemin’s voice.

“Yes” Kai replied and Taemin started laughing like a mad man. Kai couldn’t even punch his friend because they’re just talking on the phone. He just grunted in frustration as he played with the plane on his hand.

“I can’t even think of what to call you. Maybe I should call you a stupid person. Why did you not tell her that you know her when you were kids? Why are you acting like an arrogant and cheesy person? That’s not you. Well maybe you are…a little bit”

“Hey”

“I’m telling the truth. You have the tendency to be cheesy. So tell me the reason why you did not tell her” Taemin demanded. Kai heard the music stop.

“I’m not confident and even if I told her, do you think she would remember?”

Taemin was quiet for some time. “I guess you’re right. But dude, you need to get your acts straight or you’ll lose her if you keep acting like that. Girls are not really into bad boy type of guys not like what stories and dramas show. And with Jangmi who’s a smart girl, what you’re doing will just repel her”

“Thanks for the words of wisdom Mr. Love Doctor” Kai jokingly commented as he put the plane on his bed. Taemin just chuckled. Kai knew his friend was still going through the healing process after his break-up with Naeun but he couldn’t do anything. And before he could say anything, Taemin spoke.

“Hey, do you think you can make it here next Saturday. I really need your opinion on our dance routine. I know that you already told me to not bother you about anything concerning dancing but I really need you dude. The guys also need to hear some words of encouragement from you. When you suddenly decided to not join the dance meet, they were taken aback. I was also surprised with your decision. So can you just make some time and visit us here?” Taemin asked.

Kai bit his lip and lowered his head. Taemin knew how much he value dancing. Dancing’s like his life and he suddenly decided to stop. Kai knew that his friends were shocked when after three weeks of preparing for the dance meet, he suddenly said that he’s quitting. That was even before he transferred. When he told them that he was transferring, he knew that they were hurt but they were able to understand him since it’s his parents’ decision. They moved and he was transferred because of his grandmother.

It was still a mystery for Taemin why Kai suddenly quit but he knew better than to ask his friend questions that would make him uncomfortable.

“Okay. I’ll make some time” Kai replied after thinking about it.

“We’ll be waiting” Taemin said with a bright tone.

“Just don’t prepare too much. Just a box of chicken would do. Don’t prepare cake like last time that I visited” he warned Taemin and his friend just laughed.

“It was not my idea. It was the guys’ idea”

“They or Chen?”

Taemin’s laughter confirmed that the cake was the dinosaur-camel’s idea.

A talk with Taemin always makes him better and he just wanted to get everything right the next day.

Mustering his courage to talk to Jangmi took two days. He made the effort of not minding her at all. He just focused on the subjects and on his basketball practices. That one afternoon, he thought of talking with her but when she saw her hugging Chanyeol just outside the SC office, his plan crashed.

He never felt so jealous before. And if Chanyeol likes Jangmi, he’s a big threat. With his broken heart, he decided to just go home but on his way, he saw Jangmi and a boy at the playground just near the subdivision’s entrance. Kai recognized the resemblance and he knew that they were siblings.

Right, Jangmi told her that she has a baby brother 11 years ago. He just stared at them talking for some time before deciding to give them some privacy.

Day three was when he decided to talk to her. After seeing her with Chanyeol once again, he became really sure to clear everything and start anew. And when Jangmi told him to just say whatever he wanted to say there and then, he did as he was told. And the outcome was unexpected – many students supported him and it was a great start for him.

And with her brother, Jeno, on his side, he knew that he’s going to make a better comeback. He just wished Jangmi’s going to give him a chance.

End of Flashback

Kai stopped near the gate of Jeno’s school.

“Are you really going to help me practice?” Jeno asked as he pulled his bag. Kai nodded while smiling. He raised his right hand. “I promise” he replied and the younger boy nodded.

He got out of the car and waved at them as he ran inside. The smile on his face was wiped off when he looked at Jangmi who was glaring at him. “Did you bribe my brother? And how did you know that he’s my brother? And how did you make him ride your car?” she asked.

Kai started the engine and started heading towards their school. “I did not bribe him. I saw him com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter