Page Five

Turning Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Blink.

Blink.

Blink.

“Who are they?”

“I honestly don’t know” Jangmi replied as she sat straight. Hyemi, who was sitting just beside her, did the same. She cleared and glared at Kai who was casually sipping on his lemonade juice. Five strangers were sitting in front of them and were staring at them.

“I’m Minho, Choi Minho” the tallest one said, flashing them the sweetest smile he could give. Jangmi nodded and so did Hyemi. Sehun was sitting next to Hyemi and it looked like he knew the strangers – maybe because he and Kai are friends. Jangmi looked at the guy next to Minho. He had dangling earrings and he looked like the sassy kind of guy. He looked like a diva.

“I’m Kibum. You can call me Key” he said and Jangmi forced a smile. It was really uncomfortable. Awkward. “I’m Onew” the other guy said, smiling. O-Onion? What? She asked, narrowing her eyes. “Did I hear onion?” Hyemi asked, whispering and Jangmi elbowed her.

The blonde one extended his hand for a handshake and Jangmi took it because it’s the polite way to respond. “I’m Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun”

“And I’m Taemin. Nice meeting you” the last one said. He was sitting next to Kai. Jangmi could see some resemblance between the two of them. Jangmi cleared and dipped her head to a bow. “My name’s Jangmi. Ryu Jangmi”

Minho almost choked when he heard that. “Ryu Jangmi as in the Jangmi who won the Interschool Debate Competition last year?” he asked, wiping his lips.

She slowly nodded and Minho’s jaws dropped in disbelief. “Wow! I never thought I’d ever meet you” Minho exclaimed with a big smile on his face. His expression was really genuine and that was making her even more uncomfortable. “Minho hyung’s taking Law in the university and he really likes watching debates going on” Sehun said before reaching for bread.

Jangmi nodded her head as if she understood what he just said but her head was still processing the information. She looked back at Minho and tried to smile in a way that she could show that she appreciates his appreciation. “How did the two of you know each other?” Taemin asked looking at her then at Kai.

The former stared at Kai.

Jonghyun leaned forward then looked at Kai. “She’s your?”

“Friend”

“Classmate”

Jangmi and Kai looked at each other as their words were blurted in sync. Taemin looked at his friend then at Jangmi. She cleared and smiled at him. “He’s my classmate”

“Really? Wah! You’re lucky!” Minho said in awe. Jangmi’s sure she gained another fan. Jangmi looked at Kai who was grinning. “I know right. I’m so lucky” Kai said, winking at Jangmi. The latter raised a brow and looked away. Her eyes were caught by Onew – the onion. He was staring at her like she was a box of grilled chicken. He leaned forward.

“You have pretty eyes”

“Huh?” Jangmi asked blankly as she blinked. “Hyung” Jonghyun whispered as he pulled Onew. Jangmi blinked for some time before clearing . It looks like blunt people surround Kai that’s why he’s so straightforward with his words. “Sorry for that. He’s sometimes like that” Jonghyun apologized with a small smile. She just nodded.

“Why apologize? She really does have pretty eyes” Kai blurted. They all looked at him. “Did you eat something weird this morning? What’s wrong with you?” Taemin whispered to his friend who was grinning like a Cheshire cat. Kai just shrugged before giving his friend a sheepish smile.

“Hello, my name’s Hyemi”

Hyemi nodded towards the guys and they did the same. “She’s my girlfriend so I would like you to not look at her like that” Sehun warned the other guys. “Oho~ I never imagined Sehun to have a girlfriend in his entire life and now he has one~” Jonghyun teased and the others started laughing. Hyemi bowed her head as she felt her face burn. Jangmi bit her inner cheek to stop herself from laughing with them.

Sehun playfully rolled his eyes and wrapped his arm around Hyemi’s shoulders. The guys started teasing them more and Jangmi swore Hyemi looked like a tomato. Kai’s friends are crazy and fun to be with. After teasing Sehun and Hyemi, they started talking about many things that were really interesting. She and Onew talked about their favorite food and she learned that he’s such a chicken mania. Key’s into fashion. Jonghyun’s into music. Taemin’s into dancing and Minho, the one who really clicked with her, is into academic stuff and debates.

Minho’s not only good looking. He’s also a fun person to talk with despite the fact that he’s Kai’s friend. They were all talking for 20 minutes and it passed in a fast pace that it was not boring at all. She was currently laughing at a joke that Minho said when she saw Kai staring at her with an unreadable expression.

“Look at the time” Key gasped when he looked at his phone. Jangmi looked at her watch and that was the time that she realized the time they spent. “I guess we need to go first” Jonghyun nodded towards them. “It’s really nice talking to you. I hope that we can talk more in the future” Minho told Jangmi while smiling. Without even knowing it, Jangmi nodded as a smile crept on her face.

“You like him?”

Jangmi almost jumped when Kai asked that while he walked beside her. She was looking at Kai’s friends who were walking away. Sehun and Hyemi decided to leave first and that’s how their plan got cancelled – because of Kai’s uninvited friends.

“Whatever” Jangmi said, rolling her eyes as she walked past him.

“I saw how you smiled at him”

She turned to him with her eyes narrowed. Kai looked deflated – his eyes were not twinkling anymore like how they used to be and his playful smirk was not there.

“And what does it have to do with you?” Jangmi asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

“It has everything to do with me” Kai replied in a soft voice. Jangmi took a lungful of air before smirking.

“Why? Are you jealous?”

Kai’s silence after she asked that hinted something.

“Yes, I’m jealous. And you’re making it hard for me”

Why can Kai make her heart stop just with lines like that?

Jangmi thought Kai would be awkward when she’s around but it looks like he’s even energized to show that he really likes her – not wanting to lose against Minho. Why can’t he just give up? Jangmi’s even hinting in every way that she doesn’t like him but he’s such a persistent guy. She’s already having a hard time but he’s even adding a pile stress in her life.

“Jangmi, are you okay?”

“Huh?”

Krystal stared at Jangmi before she checked her temperature with the back of her hand. “I’m not sick” Jangmi sighed before softly chuckling. Krystal nodded. “Then why do you look like your mind’s floating somewhere?” Krystal asked while fixing her things inside her locker.

Jangmi sighed as she closed her locker. “I’ve been so busy these days that’s why I’m spacing out”

“Well, being the school’s Vice Pres is also hard. And with all these rumors inside the school that you’re dating Kai, I can imagine the stress that you’re going through” Krystal commented as she closed her locker.

“Don’t even start me with that” Jangmi said before sighing.

“Are you really not dating him?”

“Oh please, not you too”

“I’m just asking. Honestly, you two look good when you’re together and I always noticed how he smiles when he’s with you. He’s really into you” Krystal said, nudging her playfully. Jangmi shook her head and pushed Krystal. “Stop saying nonsense”

“I’m not”

“I thought he’s your type of guy, why are you saying those things?” Jangmi asked. “That’s true but you two look like you’re made for each other and I won’t interfere with that. I’m still waiting for Mr. Right” Krystal replied while smiling cheekily.

“Hopeless romantic” Jangmi muttered before they started laughing.

“Pres, Krystal, hurry up, Teacher Jung’s already waiting at the gym” Seulgi called for them as she peeked inside the locker room.

As they made their way towards the bleachers, Teacher Jung blew his whistle to get their attention. He looked at his attendance sheet before looking at them. “Today, we’ll have something light. I already made the groups. We’ll play Queen Dodge Ball”

Jangmi sighed while Krystal, the athletic one, beamed. Jangmi’s never good with running and now she’s going to play Queen Dodge Ball. She decided to just get hit in the beginning so that she could save her energy. If she’s hit in the beginning, she’d be just outside the playing court and just passing the ball around.

“Okay, listen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter