Page Eleven

Turning Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So…this monkey has a girlfriend and he’s hitting on me? Talk about being a playboy. Jangmi told herself as her inner self scoffed. The girl is pretty – there’s no doubt about it. Jangmi felt small since she’s taller than her. She has somewhat tanned skin which exuded her y aura. Her eyes are big and sparkly. Jangmi wondered if she’s an angel from the heavens.

She was about to reach for her hand when Kai hit the girl’s head lightly. The girl yelped as she glared at Kai. He huffed and crossed his arms in front of his chest. Jangmi looked at the two of them. She felt out of place. The way that they’re glaring at each other suggests that they’re really close.

“Are you still going around saying that stuff?” Kai asked and the girl grinned. She put her hand on her waist before shrugging.

“I was just joking. And you were the one who told me to tell every girl who’s clinging to you to introduce myself as your girlfriend. I’m doing you a favor, you stupid” she retorted. Jangmi felt the distance between them and her. She didn’t know what they were talking about. Kai sighed before he ruffled his head in frustration.

The girl looked at Jangmi with scrutinizing expression on her face. She felt self-conscious all of a sudden. Jangmi cleared and tried to look away but the other girl stood in front of her as if trying to really observe her. Jangmi stared at her. Suddenly, a bright smile crept on the girl’s face before she extended her hand again.

“Hello again, my name’s Seolhyun. I’m Jongin’s childhood friend” she chirped. Jangmi’s inner self raised her brow. So…it’s not a girlfriend but as childhood friend? She looks gorgeous.She mused before reaching for Seolhyun’s hand. The latter giddily shook her hand and Jangmi could feel her very bright energy. She’s a ray of sunshine.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Ryu Jangmi” she also introduced herself with a smile. She didn’t know the reason but she’s kind of wary about Seolhyun. She’s just too energetic and bright for her liking. She reminds Jangmi of Hyemi; and having two Hyemis in her life would be exhausting.

Her musing came to an abrupt halt when she felt her ice cream dripping on her hand. It’s melting. She bit her lip in frustration as she stared at her vanilla ice cream melt. Kai quickly grabbed it from her hand and gave her tissue. She started wiping her hand with it.

Seolhyun, who was observing the two of them, smiled to herself as if she was thinking of doing something. She looked at Jangmi then at Kai before grabbing his arm and clinging to him.

“So how about we go to a near café and talk there?” she asked in a cute tone. Jangmi looked at the two before throwing the tissue on a near garbage can. She saw how Kai casually pushed her forehead while sighing. Jangmi mentally noted to not get on their way since they look cute together. They look like a couple and Jangmi is the third wheel.

“You can come too” Seolhyun said while looking at Jangmi. The latter looked surprise. Who would want to become a third wheel in a date? Jangmi knew that she was just asking out of courtesy and she knew that Seolhyun was expecting her to turn down her offer. It’s a woman’s logic.

“Thanks but I have something to do. I have an English paper due tomorrow” she lied with a smile on her face. The other girl pouted.

“Really?” she asked in a disappointed tone. Jangmi wondered if they were thinking in the same wavelength or not. Or maybe Seolhyun’s a great actress. Whatever the reason is, she really wanted to give them space and time together.

“What English paper are you talking about? We already submitted that last Friday” Kai suddenly stated. Kai’s an idiot. Jangmi chuckled nervously. Her head was trying to come up with a better excuse.

“Ah right. I must’ve mixed up things inside my head. I just remembered that I have to accompany Jeno to his school. His teacher said that she wanted to talk to me” she replied. She crossed her fingers while praying that he would just let her go. Kai stared at her and sighed before pulling her hand. Seolhyun let go of him and she stared at Jangmi.

He started to drag her to the nearest café around while Seolhyun followed them. “Try making a better excuse in the future Rose. Jeno never said anything like that. I know that he’s at his friend’s house” Kai informed her and her eyes opened wider. He caught her lying.

“How did you know?” she asked while trying to pull her hand back. Her eyes warily searched Seolhyun. The latter was looking at the two of them and she felt sorry for being such a party pooper. She looked back at Kai and he shrugged.

“I was with him a while ago” he replied. She knew that by the time that she set foot inside the café, there’s no turning back. One thing that’s making her curious is Seolhyun’s reaction. She looks like she’s enjoying what’s happening.

Jangmi couldn’t stop tapping her finger on the counter while staring blankly at her phone. It’s been 5 minutes since she was dragged inside the café which was coincidentally Donghae’s Sweet Blend Café.

“Kai’s girlfriend?” Donghae suddenly asked which made her look up. Her drink was already placed in front of her. Donghae leaned forward to look at Seolhyun and Kai who were animatedly talking about something. Jangmi made an excuse to exit for a while since there really was a barrier between her and the two. She felt like they were on their own world dimension while talking about their experiences while they were away from each other.

“Don’t know. They said they are childhood friends” she casually replied after sighing. She just wanted to go home and be buried with her books. Home’s going to be quiet and peaceful since her parents are not home and Jeno’s not there either. She saw Donghae nod from the corner of her eyes.

“Childhood friends, huh? They look like a couple to me” he mused before grabbing a tissue to wipe the counter. Jangmi looked at the two’s direction. She couldn’t help but notice Seolhyun’s pretty smile whenever Kai’s talking.

“Are you jealous?”

Her head snapped towards Donghae who has this playful grin on his face. “No, why would I be jealous?” she asked in return. She couldn’t see any reason to be jealous. She doesn’t feel anything for Kai. She just feels comfortable when she’s with him even though sometimes she wanted to throw him outside the window because of his pick-up lines.

Donghae pouted before reaching for Jangmi’s forehead. He looked like he was checking for her temperature. He nodded after that. “You’re cold; that’s your problem. Hyemi told me he’s a persistent guy. I also saw the video of his confession. He has guts and I think you’re really a rock. How can you not be moved by his sincerity?” he asked and she frowned.

“Hyemi really has a loose mouth. I can’t believe she showed you the video” she said in a sigh.

“Jeno showed me the video while telling me that Kai’s his brother-in-law. It looks like he likes him for you” Donghae replied much to her surprise. Jeno never showed support or liking towards other people. Kai has some kind of magic and it looks like her brother is under his hypnotism.

“He looks like a good guy to me” he commented while stretching his arms. Jangmi raised a brow before grabbing her drink and taking a sip. “How can you be so sure?” she asked as she played with the straw of her cup of caramel macchiato. Donghae grinned and he touched his chin thoughtfully.

“I am sure because I know my kind of people” he replied. Jangmi rolled her eyes in sarcasm. “So you’re saying that you two are birds of the same feather?” she asked before taking another sip. He nodded cheekily. She made a face and faked a shiver.

“What’s that reaction supposed to mean?” he asked in protest.

“That just freaked me out. Having one Donghae is enough. Just imagining having two of you is a disaster. And oppa, you did really describe yourself as a good guy, didn’t you?”

“Well you can totally say that I’m a good guy by just looking at this gorgeous face” he said while touching his face. She shrugged in exaggerated disgust before she was hit lightly on the head by Donghae. They started their little banter before she went back to Seolhyun and Kai. She’s stuck between the two and she didn’t know what to do.

After 2 minutes of just sitting there, listening to their stories of childhood, Jangmi was left with Seolhyun when Kai excused himself to go to the restroom. She couldn’t stop playing with her straw. Seolhyun took a sip on her drink before clearing .

“You and Jongin are classmates?” she asked and Jangmi nodded. Seolhyun pursed her lips and leaned forward with her arms folded and rested on the table.

“Jongin’s a nice guy. Sometimes, he’s an idiot but most of the times he’s a gentleman. He’s afraid of dogs because of a past experience. He has poor eye sight but he only uses his glasses inside their house. He’s a heavy sleeper. He doesn’t eat cucumber. And he-”

“Why are you telling me these things?” Jangmi asked, confused as to why Seolhyun’s informing her about Kai’s life. Seolhyun leaned back crossed her arms in front of her chest. A smile crept on her face.

“Simple. I like you for him”

Stress. Stress. Stress.

Jangmi suddenly slammed her hands on the table before standing up. Jonghyun looked up at her in surprise. They were the only two people inside the SC room and it was a relief that Kai did not decide to hang out there. But even without his presence, she’s mentally exhausted. Seolhyun’s revelation was not expected.

She thought that Seolhyun liked Kai more than just as a childhood friend but it looks like she’s going to push her for him. “Is there a problem?” Jonghyun asked as he stared at Jangmi. She grunted in frustration. “Jonghyun, what’s the best method to stay away from a person?” she asked blankly as ran her fingers through her hair.

Jonghyun raised a brow before shrugging. “Tell the person that you don’t like to be with him or her” he replied casually. She looked back at him before sighing. She couldn’t do that. She couldn’t be so straightforward with Seolhyun. She’s to glittery and innocent for her to shut down like that. Jangmi’s in trouble. Seolhyun has an intention of putting them, Jangmi and Kai, together. She’s the modern day fairy god-mother slash cup

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter