Page Ten

Turning Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And I like that”

Kai felt his ears burning. What was that about? Did she just confess that she likes him too? Or was it just an illusion? He blinked quickly before coming to his senses. Jangmi was staring up at the blue sky.

“What was that about? Are you confessing that you like me too?” he asked.

Jangmi looked at him upon hearing that. “No” she replied quickly. The way that she said it was so casual.

“Then-”

“I just like your weirdness” she added, cutting him off. She looked back at the sky. The sky’s so calm and so pretty. She wondered if the sky’s always like that. Now that she had time to look at things, there is much stuff that she noticed have changed.

She heard him sigh.

“You’re unfair Rose” he commented before running his fingers through his hair. He leaned on the wall and pulled his left leg up. Jangmi stared at him as he did the same thing.

“How?”

His expression was unchanging. He was not smiling yet she could see something that she could not explain in his eyes. He leaned closer and Jangmi readied herself to punch him square on the face.

“You’re making my heart beat in a crazy speed with your words”

Jangmi couldn’t even cringe because she was busy punching him hard mentally. Kai’s officially running a cheese factory and Jangmi swore she would never buy or subscribe to that. She could leave without cheese – his cheese.

She pushed his forehead with her index finger before making a face. “One foot” she commented. That was the time that Kai’s lips curved upwards. Honestly speaking, he’s speaking his mind out. He just felt like his heart was speeding like that of a racing car when he heard what Jangmi said.

“That’s the truth” he said before sitting properly. Jangmi was not looking at him anymore but he, on the other hand, could not tear his eyes off of her. He could see how her eyes adored the sky. But her gaze also seemed sad. Kai wondered what’s going on with her. He wanted to know.

“Whatever” she sighed. She had no energy to bicker with Kai. Many things are going inside her mind and she just wanted to shut her mind for a while and not think of them. She closed her eyes and leaned on the wall once again.

Kai quietly sat beside her without saying anything. Jangmi’s used to his presence now. It’s not even uncomfortable anymore. So can she say that she’s comfortable with him now?

The silence was broken by the ringing of the bell which signals the end of lunch break. They had to go to their room quickly or their next teacher would mark them absent. Kai quickly stood and brushed his pants. Jangmi just sat there, still with her eyes closed.

“What are you doing? We should go to class” he asked.

“You can go” she replied. Her tone made him worried. She sounded tired and her voice was hoarse. He narrowed his eyes and pocketed his hands.

There was a moment of silence before Jangmi felt him taking his seat beside her. When she opened her eyes, there he was, leaning on the wall with closed eyes and folded arms in front of his chest.

“What are you doing?” she immediately asked.

“Keeping you company. You might feel sad without me” he replied while smiling. She just shook her head before closing her eyes. She also leaned on the wall.

“I never thought you’d ditch class. You look like a model student” he commented.

“I am a model student. I just don’t feel the next class” she replied with sass. She heard him chuckle and she felt at ease. He’s comfortable to be with – that’s her conclusion. Despite his arrogance and cheesiness, she could not deny that he has the ability to make her breathe like a normal person.

“I feel you there. History class also my soul out” he said.

“And Teacher Yoon looks like a grim reaper” she added. Kai cracked into a loud laughter. Jangmi looked at him and she could not deny that the way he laughs is lovely.

She just wanted to have a peaceful time. She wanted her mind to rest for even a minute. Everything’s too tiring.

“Are you okay?” he suddenly asked. She nodded.

“Are you sure?” he asked again.

“I’m okay” she replied. She felt self-conscious because of his stare. She felt like he’s reading her. She felt like he knows her too much. Kai pursed his lips before his fingertips brushed the hair sticking on her cheek.

As his fingertips grazed her cheek for a second, she felt a tingling feeling running down her spine. It was not a new feeling and she suddenly felt her face heating up.

“You’re making me worried Rose” he finally said. They stared at each other and if someone would see them there and then, they would think that they’re in a staring contest or they’re in the middle of making the mood for a lovey dovey moment.

Her rationality took over and before she knew it, she hit his head and Kai yelped with the sudden attack. He looked at her in surprise while rubbing his head. Violent Jangmi’s back on the game.

“What was that for?” he asked.

“That’s a warning. Keep your hand to yourself” she said and by the look of her eyes, there’s no way that she’s joking.

“I think there’s a bump” he said to himself while still rubbing his head.

Jangmi looked away as she touched her burning face. She shook her head.

Get your senses back, Ryu Jangmi.

There’s something going on. There’s definitely something going on.

Kai has been staring at Jangmi since 5 minutes ago. She could feel his stare and she just decided to not mind him. He’ll not listen anyway. The door opened and Jonghyun entered with a folder on his hand. He casually nodded towards Kai before walking to his seat.

Hayoung came next with a bag of sandwiches. There were five sandwiches. Kai’s literally an unofficial member of the SC basing from the time that he spends in the SC room. The officers were already accustomed with him being there. Jonghyun once said that the room felt empty without Kai there.

Chanyeol came in and Kai looked at him. He was glaring at him internally as Chanyeol sat beside Jangmi. She turned to him and handed him a paper.

“I checked the ones that you sent me and there were some gaps on the entries so I just filled them up with whatever I was able to remember. Teacher Choi would be expecting the final copy tomorrow” Jangmi said. Chanyeol took the paper and looked at it before nodding.

“I’ll make it and pass it to him tomorrow” he replied before he gently brushed Jangmi’s sticking hair. Kai suddenly felt his jealous cells revolting. How come she did not hit him on the head?  He protested and he felt wronged. His inner wolf is already growling.

“Kai, is there something wrong?” Jonghyun asked. They all looked at Kai and he just stared at them blankly.

“Sandwich?” Hayoung suggested while handing him one. He forces a smile and took it. When he turned back, Jangmi was staring at him. She sighed before looking at her phone.

“Do you not have basketball practice?” she asked. She was already reading another paper. He came to his senses and quickly stood.

“I forgot. Thanks for reminding me Rose” he commented with a smile. He waved them goodbye before taking off like a bullet train.

“He’s a persistent guy, Vice Pres” Hayoung suddenly said when he was already out of the room.

“And so?”

“Don’t tell me you’re not moved even by an inch?”

Jangmi stopped and stared at the paper. “I’m not” she finally replied. She heard Hayoung sigh. “Jangmi’s a rock. An impossible rock” Jonghyun commented and Jangmi glared at him.

“What?” she asked.

“I’m telling the truth” he casually replied while shrugging his shoulders. They started bickering but despite that, Chanyeol kept quiet.

He could only stare at Jangmi who’s being worked up by Jonghyun’s teasing. Jangmi changed too much and he knew Kai has something to do with it.

He just knew it. And a part of him hated that.

Kai held his phone closer to his ear to listen to whatever Taemin was telling him. He hiked his bag to his shoulder and waved at his basketball teammates who were already leaving. “What was that again?” he asked while picking his bottle of water.

Taemin sighed on the other line. “The guys told me that there will be a meet this Sunday afternoon. A gathering or reunion I guess” he replied.

“Really?” he absentmindedly asked.

“The seniors will also be coming. Shin hyung will also come. Did you hear what happened to him? He stopped joining dance contests because of a leg problem. They said he was in an accident last summer break” Taemin asked and Kai felt like his throat went dry.

“Jongin? Are you there?” his friend asked when he did not speak for some time.

“Huh?”

“I was asking you if you can come. Jongdae was bugging me to ask you. It will be a blast since it’s been years since we saw the other seniors. So, are you in or-”

“Sorry. I have something to do on Sunday” Kai lied. Taemin remained silent before casually telling him that he can just catch up after whatever he’s going to do that day. And when Taemin hung up, he felt his knees going jelly. He sat on the bench and clutched his head on both sides.

He shut his eyes as images passed by like lightning.

“It’s not your fault” that familiar voice kept on ringing inside his head. Guilt was consuming him. He started counting to calm himself. He sat there for some minutes before taking his leave. Nothing’s going to happen if he’s just going to sit there and sulk about what happened.

As he made his way towards the lobby, he could see students flocking. They were all murmuring and some looked so surprised. He did not know w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter