Page Fifteen

Turning Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So when are you going back to Japan?” Jangmi asked as she looked at Jaehyun who was making a face after drinking a lemon extract. He shivered for some time before downing a glass of water to wash off the sour after taste.

“Why? Do you hate seeing me around?” he asked. Jangmi hated that side of her brother. He always makes questions that are not even related to what she’s asking. And most of the time, he suggests that she really hates him and that is basing from the fact that she stopped calling him oppa. Jangmi thought that calling him that was not really necessary since they’re twins and he’s just older by an inch of a hair.

“Can you just answer my question?” she demanded and Jaehyun shrugged. “Maybe next week. We need to practice for our next gig,” he replied. Now, that’s a proper answer. She nodded.

“Is he really not your boyfriend?”

Jangmi sighed before glaring at Jaehyun. That was the fourth time that he asked that question for the day and she’s getting sick of it. “He’s not. Stop asking,” she replied.

“He looks like a decent guy,” Jaehyun commented. She did not know what happened to her brother but he looked like he’s trying to push her to Kai. Everyone’s doing it and it’s irritating. “You met him once and you could say that?” she asked and Jaehyun nodded.

She was about to say something in rebuttal but her phone started ringing. She picked it up and answered immediately. “Are you doing something today?” Hyemi asked in an excited tone. Jangmi didn’t like how hyped Hyemi sounded.

“Today? Why?” she asked, trying to know if she can dip her feet on the water or not.

“Can we go to the amusement park today? I really want to go,” Hyemi replied and Jangmi sighed. “Amusement park?” she repeated. Jaehyun lifted his head and looked at her.

“Is that Hyemi? You’re going to the amusement park? Go,” he asked and stated at the same time. Jangmi rolled her eyes at her brother.

“Hyemi, I’m sorry but I have something to-”

“She’s lying. Come here and drag her out of the house,” Jaehyun suddenly cut her off and he was holding Jangmi’s phone. She tried to get her phone back but Jaehyun stood while pushing his sister’s forehead with his hand.

Jaehyun nodded. “Just come and take her out. She’s going to be in her room all day anyway. Okay,” he said before hanging up.

“What do you think are you doing?” Jangmi asked, glaring at him.

“Fulfilling my responsibilities as your brother,” Jaehyun replied while handing her the phone. Jangmi grabbed her phone and huffed in frustration. “By?” she asked.

“Getting you a life,” he deadpanned. “You’re a pain in the ,” she bit back and Jaehyun made a face. “I know. And I love being such a pain. It’s entertaining,” he commented while shrugging.

Jangmi didn’t know if something went wrong with her brother’s mental state when they were kids. When they were growing up, he started being such a prick and he’s enjoying her pain. And before she’d explode, she took her exit. Jaehyun was left alone on the dining table, munching a slice of chocolate muffin.

“You’ll thank me one day, little sister,” he mused with a smile.

Jangmi stared blankly at Kai who was standing beside Sehun before glaring at Hyemi who was innocently checking on the different list of rides. When Hyemi called her, she was certain that Hyemi said that only the two of them are going to the amusement park. She should’ve seen what Hyemi was up to by dragging Kai with them. She couldn’t even strangle her friend to death right now. Not in a place where many people could witness the brutal murder.

“So should we go?” Hyemi chirped as she pulled Sehun’s arm. Jangmi even glared at her but her friend just smiled at her before nodding towards Kai. She made a face and was about to turn around when Kai grabbed her wrist. “Where are you going?” he asked. “Home,” Jangmi replied immediately.

“Why?”

“I originally don’t like amusement parks,” Jangmi replied and Kai narrowed his eyes. “But you’re already here,” Kai reasoned out. “That’s because Hyemi lied to me. She said that we’re the only ones coming. I didn’t know that you and Sehun are coming,” she replied.

Kai let go of her arm and pocketed his hands. He stared at her and she sighed. “What?” she asked. He shrugged. “Nothing. You know, it’s my birthday today,” he said seriously.

Jangmi blinked. “And so?”

“I want to spend my birthday with you,” Kai replied. She took in a lungful of air before shaking her head. “This won’t do. I’m going home,” she said while turning her back on him. But as she took a step, her feet couldn’t feel the ground. He was carrying her on his shoulder and without even saying anything, he started walking towards the roller coaster.

Her screams were not effective. They just invited curious stares from strangers. And when she was sitting on the seat of the roller coaster, that was the time that she came to her senses. She glared at Kai who was smiling brightly like a kid just before Christmas.

She couldn’t remember what happened next. She only felt her soul escaping her body when the roller coaster started running. And when the ride stopped, she wanted to rip Kai’s hair like a crazy animal.

“I want to do that again!” he exclaimed while laughing. He looked at Jangmi who was already turning green. The safety bars were lifted and Jangmi struggled to get off her seat. She was even about to stumble when Kai held her arms to prevent her from kissing the ground.

“Are you okay?” he asked in a worried tone and she just shook her head without any energy. She just wanted to sit somewhere peaceful and pray in gratitude that the heavens didn’t take her during the roller coaster ride. She finally found herself sitting on one of the benches on the waiting area. She could still see snippets of the ride from a while ago and she felt like puking. She already used up her day’s stamina reserve.

“Here, drink this,” Kai said while placing a bottle of water in front of her. He sat opposite of her and she grabbed the water. He stared at her as she downed the water in an instant. “Are you okay?” he asked once again and that gained a deadly glare from her.

“Do I look okay to you?” she spat and Kai pursed his lips.

“Well, you look a little pale so…maybe not that good?”

Jangmi blinked at him before fishing her phone from her bag. It was Jaehyun. She answered it with a sigh. “Why?” she asked and she heard her brother laugh from the other line. “Why are you so grumpy? Did something bad happen?” he asked.

She looked at Kai’s direction before looking away. “Catastrophic. Why are you calling?”

“I’m just checking if you’re still alive. Give the phone to Hyemi,” he suddenly said. Jangmi narrowed her eyes. Why would he want to talk with Hyemi? There’s only one answer in her mind – Hyemi and Jaehyun are working together and if it’s not Hyemi’s plan, it must be Jaehyun’s plan to drag Kai with them. Jangmi’s brother already gave his approval for Kai anyway.

“Hyemi’s with Sehun,” Jangmi replied.

“Then who are you with?”

Jangmi bit her lip then looked back at Kai who happened to be staring at her. “I’m with Kai,” she replied and there was a pause before she heard Jaehyun chuckle.

“I see. Have a good time then,” Jaehyun stated and Jangmi was about to ask something when her brother hanged up.

“Who was that?” Kai asked when Jangmi put her phone down. “Jaehyun,” she answered, trying to observe Kai’s reaction. He just casually nodded. He doesn’t look like he was conspiring with her friend or brother. What the hell is happening with everyone around her? They’re all acting weird.

Her musing came to a stop when Kai suddenly asked her something. “Do you want to go to the haunted house?”

Jangmi’s eyes were opened so wide in horror. She would never ever try to go into a haunted house in her entire life. Watching a horror movie is already traumatic, what more if she goes there? She’d never come out alive.

Kai was still staring at her with pleading eyes. He looked like a puppy waiting for his treat. “No,” she replied and Kai’s smile vanished and was replaced with a pout. “Why?” he asked in a whining tone.

“I don’t like it. I’m tired so I want to go home,” she said in excuse. “But it’s my birthday today,” Kai whined even more. “What’s that to do with me?” she asked in return.

“I’m your friend. You said I’m your friend. We’re friends. Isn’t it normal that I spend my birthday with my friend?”

Jangmi rolled her eyes in frustration. “Then go to your other friends. I’m tired so I want to go home,” she stated and Kai pouted even more. Jangmi thought she saw that look before. She saw that the same expression from Luca – her Pomeranian dog.

“Then let’s ride the Ferris wheel. That’s not tiring at all,” Kai suggested. What does Jangmi need to do to stop his stubbornness?

After five minutes, Jangmi was sitting inside one of the cars of the Ferris wheel. She couldn’t believe that Kai was able to persuade her in playing rock, paper and scissors to decide if they will ride it or not. She thought that she should throw a paper but then she changed it to scissors which made her lose. Kai jumped like a lunatic when that happened. It took all her left energy to push Kai away from hugging her.

People who usually go to that ride were couples. It felt weird that she’s riding it with Kai. She looked outside the glass wall. It’s going to be a very long time to come down from it. And she didn’t know what to do with Kai who was staring at her like his eyes were glued on her.

“What did you talk with Jaehyun that day at the café?” Jangmi asked suddenly and Kai was taken aback. He’s not yet ready to talk about the past and now, Jangmi brought it up. He cleared his throat.

“You.”

“Me? What about me?” she asked. Kai looked in front of him as if avoiding her questioning eyes. “He talked about you and he told me to not give up on you,” he replied. Well, that’s not a total lie. That’s the truth. Jangmi made a face.

“That person’s back to ruin my life,” she muttered. “He looks like a good person. You must be lucky to have a brother like him,” Kai commented. That’s true. To think about it, Jangmi’s lucky to have Jaehyun as a brother. She always thought that Jaehyun’s everything that she is not. He’s the opposite of her and that made her feel like her brother’s there to fill up the gaps of her vulnerabilities and weaknesses. Jaehyun’s her voice – her loud voice.

Jangmi smiled to herself and Kai was able to take a glimpse of that pretty smile. “You’re right,” she told herself in a whisper.

“So you’re afraid of haunted houses?” Kai questioned and she looked at him. There

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter