Page One

Turning Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jangmi kept on looking at her phone which kept on ringing for the past 5 minutes. She sighed and lied on the ground before picking her phone.

“Hello?” she answered between short breaths.

“Are you doing something unholy? Why are you out of breath?” Hyemi, her dear friend, asked with an accusing yet amused tone.

Jangmi rolled her eyes and reached the bottle of water on her side. “You’re crazy,” she said before drinking her water.

“Thank you for that compliment,” Hyemi replied and Jangmi could picture her friend giving her a bow. “Doing headstands, huh?”

“Yep.”

“Is there something bothering you?”

“Nothing serious; just my parents talking about getting a divorce,” she replied while stretching her legs. She heard Hyemi gasp from the other line.

“Why did you call?”

“Ummm…I was about to ask you out for a movie date but then…maybe we can do that for some other time,” Hyemi replied with a softer voice, obviously concerned about her.

“Let’s do that. I don’t have anything today anyway. Where are we going to meet?”

“Are you sure?” Hyemi asked. “Yep. Where will I meet you?” Jangmi asked before getting up. “Our usual spot. I will wait for you there.”

“Okay. See you there. I’ll just take a bath. And hey, don’t bring your boyfriend with you.”

Hyemi chuckled. “Of course not. It’s just you and me baby girl.”

“And please stop calling me that,” Jangmi said, pulling a towel from her closet. “Okay…baby girl. See ya!” Hyemi added before hanging up.

Talking with Hyemi made her feel better…at least for a short time. She put her phone on top of her bed and headed straight to the bathroom.

Jangmi handed her fare to the taxi driver before getting out. As she walked towards the coffee shop, she saw Hyemi sitting near the window. A smile crept on her face when she noticed that they were both wearing denim jackets. Most of the times, even without talking with Hyemi about what they would wear, they would end up wearing matching clothes that would make them look like a couple. They call it ‘the connection’.

Hyemi noticed her and she waved at her brightly. Jangmi hurriedly entered the shop and the sweet smell of coffee welcomed her. “Hi Jangmi!” the barista greeted her with a smile. She waved at him, smiling. “Hi Donghae oppa!”

“The usual?” he asked. She nodded and he immediately gave her an ‘ok’ sign before turning his back to make her coffee. Jangmi walked towards Hyemi and as she was about to sit, her friend gasped in surprise before smiling. “You’re wearing denim! Oh? And we’re wearing the same earrings!” she exclaimed.

Jangmi unconsciously touched her small star shaped earring. They both smiled and held there index fingers in front of them. “Connection,” they both said before laughing. Jangmi put her bag on the chair before sitting down. “What are we going to watch?” she asked.

Hyemi sipped on her Ice Americano before scrolling the page on her phone. “I want to watch them all. You choose,” she said, handing Jangmi her phone. “Insidious 3? That’s a no-no,” Jangmi said, shaking her head. “Why? Let’s watch it,” Hyemi suggested, getting her phone from her. “You know I can’t watch horror,” she whined, pouting.

“Okay. That’s eliminated…hmm…Tommorowland?” she mused before showing Jangmi her phone. “Sounds okay to me,” Jangmi nodded, scrolling the page down to read the synopsis. “One caramel macchiato with lots of whipped cream for Ms. Ryu Jangmi,” Donghae said before putting Jangmi’s drink on the table.

“Thanks oppa,” she smiled at him. She was about to give her card to him when he shook his head. “It’s on me,” he said, smiling sweetly at her. “You’re giving too much free drinks. You’ll go bankrupt if you keep doing that,” Jangmi said in a matter-of-fact tone. “Who said it’s free? You’re going to pay me big time when you graduate,” he said jokingly.  

“Then I’m going to pay now,” Hyemi playfully said, pulling her wallet from her bag. Donghae chuckled and pocketed his hands. “Going on a girl date?” he asked, looking at them. They both nodded, sipping on their drinks.

He in a lungful of air before sighing. “I envy you. You’re at the age where everything feels like spring. You date whenever you want. I want to do that too,” he said in a pitiful tone, making Hyemi and Jangmi chuckle at his words.

“Then date someone. Girls are always flocking in front of you; why not just choose from them? You’re also good in the art of seduction,” Hyemi said, looking up at him. “You…” he said seriously, narrowing his eyes. “Hyemi, good is an understatement,” he corrected.

Jangmi chuckled and so did Hyemi. “But seriously, I want to meet someone who I will fall head over heels for. I want to experience falling in love at first sight. You know…experience something like…” he couldn’t finish his sentence but his gestures were getting bigger and cheesier by the moment.

“Oppa, falling hurts,” Jangmi said, cutting him off. He glared at her and sighed. “Hyemi, why don’t you teach your friend here to be a little sweet? And try to find him a guy so that he could break away from his dates with those dead people. What was his name? S-Shakespeare?”

Hyemi put her drink down and shook her head. “That will be hard. She said she would rather stay inside her room with all those books that were written by those dead people than go to a date. But I think she’s just waiting for someone.”

Jangmi glared at her before looking at Donghae. “She’s talking nonsense oppa. I’m not waiting for someone,” she said, shaking her head. He narrowed his eyes and looked back at her. “You know what? You’re such a bad liar. Your face says you’re really waiting for someone,” he said, chuckling.

“I’m not!”

“I think I know who that is. Wait…his name is…S-Seu…it’s on the tip of my tongue…Seu-”

“Oppa! Look at that!” Jangmi cut him off, pointing towards the door. He turned around immediately to look at what she’s pointing at. A lady wearing a red hot short dress was walking towards the counter. She has the body that every girl would dream to have. Donghae stared at her from head to feet before turning to Hyemi and Jangmi.

“It looks like I’m busy,” Donghae said, smiling at them before hurriedly walking towards the lady. Jangmi and Hyemi just looked at him doing his thing and they couldn’t help but stifle laughter. Jangmi shook her head and looked at Hyemi who was staring at her with a playful smile. “You…you’re still waiting for him, right?” she asked in an accusing tone.

“Are you crazy? I’m not. What time is the movie?” she asked before reaching for her drink. “Changing the topic…guilty…” Hyemi mused before grinning. “Why did I become friends with you? You’re really a pain in the , you know that?” Jangmi asked.

Hyemi grinned even more before scrolling on her phone. “That my friend is because I’m lovable,” she smiled at her, batting her lashes prettily. “Aigoo,” Jangmi sighed before chuckling. “5:00, you want that?” Hyemi asked, earning a quick nod from her friend. She looked at her watch. “30 minutes more,” she muttered.

As they were silently waiting for the time to pass by, Jangmi’s phone rang. Hyemi looked at her and noticed how her expression changed. She saw the caller id and a wave of worry overtook her. Jangmi rejected the call and immediately turned it off.

“Is it that bad?” Hyemi asked worriedly. Jangmi looked at her and shook her head, sipping her coffee. “I guess I’m immune to it already. Hearing them fight everyday makes me think that maybe getting a divorce is the best choice for them,” she replied, playing with the straw of her drink.

A moment of silence came. Jangmi sighed and forced a smile, looking at her friend. “Let’s not talk about it. It’s destroying the good mood.”

Hyemi enthusiastically nodded, smiling back at her. Smiling brightly, whining cutely, laughing whole heartedly with Jangmi are the best things that she could do in order to lessen her friend’s burden. Being friends for 6 years is such a big thing for her.

“Do you want to go to the mall now? Let’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter