Hmmm, What'cha Saaay~~ Pt 02

Crave that Sauce!

This whole chapter has a lot of Baekhyun TMI/cringe/face palm/embarrassing moments. SORRY NOT SORRY! I seriously love him so much but I love picking on him too. Pregnancy is so fascinating. Lots of weird stuff happens with it and in this chapter! Also, some of the other EXO members appear and I'm like, incapable of writing a short chapter XD;;! So... Enjoy! (And there's typos. Will edit later.))

 

--- --- --- ---

 

Baekhyun realized quickly that laying around doing nothing was the most boring. . Ever. 

 

It had been a little over a week, most of which he had just slept through, but he was feeling the effects of living in limbo.

 

And currently...

 

Camped out on the couch in some shorts and his favorite hoodie, Baekhyun popped some trail mix into his mouth and crunched it loudly while he watched a daytime talk show.

 

It was one of those paternity episodes and a couple was hurling insults and curse words at each other. For a full minute the only sound coming from the TV was "bleep-bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep-bleep-bleep!" to censor the barrage of swearing. Someone threatened to throw a chair but a seucurity guard caught them. Baekhyun shook his head and wiggled his bare toes while he watched, then a picture of an infant and parent in question flashed across the screen. The crowd made sounds of overdramatic "Oooooooooh's" in reaction.

 

"Look at these fools..." Baekhyun said and frowned. "Really dude, really? It's so obvious that baby's yours." He threw a cocoa-puff at the TV, then he tossed a handful of his custom made trail mix of mini pretzels, golden grahams, cocoa-puffs, honey nut cheerios and mini marshmallows into his mouth and crunched loudly. 

 

"Hell, I could've confirmed that without a paternity test. Ya'll have the same forehead."

 

To build suspense before the big reveal, Maury cut to a commercial break and an ad from Target came on talking about sales for back to school. Baekhyun muted the TV in absolute disgust. He didn't even want to think about school right now.

 

"Laaaaame!" He drawled and perched his snack bowl on the tiny swell of his belly. It rose and fell each time he took a breath and it made him think of a small boat lost at sea. It aimlessly floated along with no clue where it was being dragged. Baekhyun related to that his little bowl-boat so hard right now. He hated this. This inaction. It made him feel lazy and useless. It made him feel like he was 17.

 

Seriously, it was like all he was doing lately was sitting around, sleeping, eating and being... pregnant.

 

Yes, he knew that resting and relaxing was the best thing for him and the baby right now. It was just that Baekhyun had always had something to do.

 

There was school, homework, after school activities, track practice, track meets, hanging out with friend(s), work, house chores, more school, more homework... He didn't even have to go to his one AP class today because the lesson was online and no assignment was due.

 

Summer break had also meant cross-country practice. Every day of the week last summer Baekhyun had been on the field running laps, weight training, sweating, and prepping, (and discreetly, but not creepily staring at Chanyeol as he and the LAX team trained across the way). There was no way he'd subject himself to rigorous training and running across a football field full of obstacles right now though.

 

"UNGH! I am so bored!" Baekhyun whined as he grimace-chewed more snacks. 

 

This morning he'd gotten up and made breakfast for himself and his mom along with coffee and a healthy lunch for her, and then he'd volunteered to drive her to work. She had to keep her strength up right now and she wasn't upset that Baekhyun wasn't working. Mrs. Byun had been against him getting a job to begin with. Now he had the car and nowhere to go.

 

And because he was a good son, and to help pass the time, he'd done a few chores like the laundry, vaccuming, dusting, and then scrubbed the bathroom down. Just as Baekhyun had finished up the housework, Taehyung had called to mope that his hours had also been slashed, even though he worked the deli and Miss Ahn hadn't called to tell Baekhyun to come back to work.

 

Baekhyun was extra worried now. It honestly sounded like the store was in danger of going out of business or something. 

 

"Things aren't looking good..." Baekhyun sighed and blew a harsh breath through his bangs, then he looked at his little Nokia phone. "Useless piece of crap..." He grumbled. If he had the internet at home he could at least be doing the responsible task of looking for work because he might need a new job with the way things were going.

 

"Maybe... Maybe I should ask Sehun if the cafe he works at is hiring...?" Baekhyun mumbled as he nibbled the thumbnail of his left hand and flicked his phone open with his right.

 

Thinking about Sehun made his mind go blank and his heart, groin, and s sort of pulsed. Then much to his annoyance, Baekhyun felt himself get a little... moist between his thighs. Just like that, instant arousal. He shifted on the couch and tugged at his shorts so they weren't so tight in the crotch area.

 

His body, as Dr. Cook had explained during a phone call, was starting to produce this gooey, slick, thick, and wet protective barrier to protect the baby from infection. Apparently just thinking about Sehun made his body think it was get it on time. And this sensation felt weird, gross, but really, really good all at the same time. 

 

The kiss with Sehun had been the trigger. 


Or so Baekhyun thought because he'd been constantly worked up since that day. He was having all day wet dreams (about Sehun) and he just felt tender and sensitive all over. It was actually starting to get difficult not to just touch himself and relieve the ache anytime and anywhere.

 

So not only was he a ert who dreamed about boning his best friend, he was starting to severely lack impulse control.

 

Dr. Cook said all of this, the urge to get off, the need for ual gratification, was completely normal and healthy. Now Baekhyun was closer to his second trimester these feelings would intensify. If he was comfortable, he needed to just allow himself the pleasure of touch. He realized quickly that Dr. Cook was trying to hint that if the baby's other parent was involved, to get it while he could.

 

But thinking about Chanyeol in the moment sort of left Baekhyun conflicted. He didn't want Chanyeol right now. He wanted Sehun. Or his body did anyway.

 

Also, , masturbating, basically self love, was good for both him and the baby. If Baekhyun was relaxed, so was Bitty.

 

"Not now..." Baekhyun mumbled and crossed his legs. He had more important things to focus on. Like finding a new job.

 

He actually felt a little guilty for asking Sehun for anything after what he'd done that day, but Sehun hadn't mentioned the kiss at all. Baekhyun did his best to just act like it wasn't a big deal.

 

Mind made up, he fired off a short text to see what Sehun was up to. "Hey, you busy? Need to talk."

 

Sehun replied almost five minutes later. "Yeah. At work til 6 :(... What's up? Everything okay? You resting and feeding my Bitty well?" 

 

Baekhyun bit his bottom lip and sighed a bit hopelessly. He absolutely loved that Sehun worried about him and the baby so much but he was sort of getting tired of being asked if he was resting. His mom had been doing that a lot too, hovering and insisting Baekhyun embrace nap times and couch-potato-ness. He had because there was literally nothing else for him to do. He was actually tired of sleeping. 

 

"Yeah, we're fine. I just wanted to ask you if your coffee shop is hiring. I might need a new job soon." Baekhyun texted back.

 

"Hmmm, I'll have to check but would it even be safe for you to have a job like this with your condition??? You'll be on your feet all day, you gotta lift heavy stuff, and it gets super busy and stressful. Your doctor said to avoid all of that specifically. The pay isn't great either." Sehun replied.

 

Baekhyun pursed his lips as he thought about what Sehun was saying and it annoyed him that Sehun was right. He felt a little discouraged. Still, what about his "condition"? He was pregnant, not made of glass. 

 

"Baek, just to be blunt I really think you should just chill out. I don't know why you're so eager to work when you don't have to. I actually don't like the idea of you doing too much right now anyway. Not to tell you want to do or anything." Came another text from Sehun.

 

Baekhyun blinked and his eyebrows rose a little bit. He could actually hear Sehun's authoritative tone through the text and it made him feel strange. Like he was being scolded for being disobedient or something. It made him feel a little guilty.

 

"Oh... Well... I guess I'll have to think about it?? I get what you're saying though." Baekhyun typed back fast. He didn't want Sehun upset with him. "I'll come pick you up from work so I can get the application if that's okay? Then we can hang out if you want."

 

He actually wasn't sure if seeing Sehun was a good idea now honestly but he wanted to. Baekhyun had this weird idea he'd tackle the other boy and start ing him or something.

 

Sehun was able to respond pretty quickly but the text was long, indicating he'd already started typing his reply before he'd gotten Baekhyun's. The length of the message made Baekhyun's heart drop because he thought something was wrong. He sat up to read it.

 

"I'm sorry Baek but I have plans with my folks tonight. It's been a couple of weeks since we even had dinner together and then we're going to see a movie. I work the rest of this week until 9 too. I've been squeezing in time with Lu between work and sleep but I've honestly just been going home and crashing 'cause I gotta be back to work at 9AM. It'll be late but we can totally meet up after I'm off tomorrow if you want. That cool?"

 

This information made Baekhyun frown in confusion. Sehun had been working way more often which meant hours were abundant but the pay was low? He also hadn't realized just how much more Sehun was working. He was stunned. No wonder he hadn't seen Sehun for nearly a week. 

 

"You're working 12 hour shifts every day? Why? For how long?" Baekhyun texted back quickly. This was actually a little worrying to him. He didn't like it. He used to work long hours like that and it was brutal. 

 

"I dont want you to." He decided to admit. Just typing that made him blush because he sounded so desperate. Quickly he added. "We wont' have time to hang out if you work like that and what about all of your parties and journalism stuff?"

 

":D :D :D <3333 AWWW! It's so cute that you're worried about me!!! But it's cool BB, I promise. I don't have to do this very long and I need the experience. I like having the extra cash too. No biggie." Was all Sehun texted in explanation.

 

Baekhyun wasn't consoled at all. He just found that completely baffling. Sehun acted like he hated his job.

 

For a brief second Baekhyun got caught up in his feelings and wondered if Sehun was trying to avoid him (because of that kiss situation), even though the other boy had just said they could meet up late tomorrow. He quickly dismissed that idea though.

 

Sehun just wasn't that type of person.

 

"Oh okay. Yeah, that's cool I guess... Just let me know what day/time works best. Try not to over work yourself okay? Talk to you later?" Baekhyun texted back.

 

"Sure thing. And don't worry, I won't miss our next baby check up. I made sure I had that day off."  Sehun replied a split second later and the text was full of heart and kissy face emojis. "Miss you. Hug and kiss my Bitty for me."

 

Okay, that made Baekhyun squeak and absolutely swoon, then he flopped back onto the couch pillows. Even though he was slightly disappointed he wouldn't get to see Sehun today, it was hard to stay upset with Sehun and his...

 

...His everything.

 

Sehun's soft, deep, motivational and wispy voice. His slender but strong hands. His broad, powerful shoulders. His sweet scented and soft skin. His silky hair, his jawline, and his lips...

 

Baekhyun scraped his teeth and about 20 layers of lip balm off his bottom lip, then he ran his middle finger across it. His lips tasted like Sehun's lips. Sugary and like fresh, juicy, kind of tart summer grapefruit. Because he was crazy, Baekhyun had gone out and bought the exact same lip balm that Sehun had. The little tube of lip nourishment meant everything to Baekhyun right now. (Plus it had cost nearly $5 bucks. He'd scrape every last bit of balm outta the tube so God help him.)

 

As he thought about it now, Baekhyun fished the gloss out of his pocket, swiped on another layer, then he rubbed his lips together. It took everything in him not to them because the flavor was so delicious. Almost blankly Baekhyun sniffed the balm and sighed deeply. He actually didn't really like grapefruit but this chapstick had him craving it.

 

It had him craving Sehun.

 

It had only been a few days but Baekhyun missed Sehun so badly. He knew it was wrong but he wanted to kiss him again, and hug him again, and just... Be with him. Besides his mom, Baekhyun didn't really have anyone else to talk to or hang out with.

 

Seriously, this wasn't the summer he wanted.

 

Baekhyun's stomach rumbled, indicating he'd had more than enough trail mix. If he wasn't careful he'd up with really bad indigestion. He patted his belly and allowed himself a small smile. The baby was still too tiny for him to feel it moving at just about 15 1/2 weeks, but Baekhyun was pretty sure Bitty was awake and just as bored as he was.

 

"Hmm... Maybe we should go out? I mean, we do have the car. It wouldn't hurt to get some fresh air right? We can look out for places that are hiring?" Baekhyun suggested. It would be a good way to pass the time until he had to go pick up his mom from work and he'd feel like he was accomplishing something.

 

As he was debating where to go his phone vibrated in the front pocket of his hoodie. Baekhyun fished it out quickly. He hoped that maybe it was Sehun calling on his break (he usually did) but the number on the screen was one he didn't recognize. 

 

Eyes narrowed suspciously, Baekhyun read the number a few times and tried to place the digits. He never answered numbers he didn't know because it could be a bill collector attempting to scam him into paying bills he didn't have, or maybe it was one of those annoying travel-hotel-cruiseship automated systems. Tch, and they thought they were sooooo slick calling from the same area code too!

 

He let the call go to voicemail. If whatever they had to say to him was important, they'd leave a message.

 

"Ungh, jerk interrupting our bumming around time..." Baekhyun mumbled to Bitty. He was thirsty now so he slowly made his way to the kitchen for some orange juice. As he chugged his drink he spotted some cash sitting on the kitchen table with a list of groceries and a note.

 

"Auntie said to get this stuff and it's not like you have anything better to do anyway. Don't spend it all on junkfood or hot sauce and crap brat :P". -  'Chul.

 

Baekhyun crinkled his nose and wondered when and how Heechul had come and gone without him noticing. He hadn't seen his cousin in days and it sort of unnerved him that he hadn't heard Heechul come into the house. Had he dozed off? He'd been downstairs mostly all day. Baekhyun had actually read that pregnancy could lead to short term memory loss so maybe that was it?

 

The teen counted the money with the swift skill of a seasoned cashier to discover Heechul had left $240. This made Baekhyun gape a little. Heechul was barely at the house and he definitely wasn't eating up any food. 

 

"How's he able to afford to pay mom rent and still give up this kind of cash?" Baekhyun said out loud as he polished off another glass of OJ. He had a vague idea of what Heechul did as a side hustle and, despite zero evidence, he concluded the man had a sugar daddy.

 

"Mmhmm, I knew that hoe was a hoe." Baekhyun sneered even as he pocketed the cash.

 

All judgment aside, kind gestures like this just made him happy he had a decent blood relative. Even if Heechul was from his stupid loser dad's side of the family. Heechul may have annoyed Baekhyun right now, but the elder man was always looking out for his mom and him.

 

Later, Baekhyun texted his mother to tell her he was going shopping for the groceries, he took his vitamins, and then he dressed in some jeans and a loose fitting dark green camo printed t-shirt. He turned to the left and right twice in front of his mirror and ran his palms down his stomach to see if any tell-tell signs of a baby in his belly were obvious, even though he knew it was still too soon for his bump to be showing. He did look a bit rounder all over, especially in his cheeks, but he'd be able to pass that off as sitting on his and not training for cross country all summer.

 

Actually Baekhyun hadn't so much as stretched since school let out for break and he could feel it in his body that his muscles weren't as strong. His wrists felt weak and his stamina levels were almost depleted. It also didn't help that he was eating everything within arms reach with zero regard to calories or carbs because of his damn his pregnancy cravings. It was like all of his years of discipline as a runner had just drained out of his pores in a matter of weeks.

.

"Dr. Cook didn't say I couldn't do some light stretches..." Baekhyun told his reflection.

 

He bent over at the waist, slowly, mindful of where he knew Bitty lay cocooned inside of him, and went to touch his toes with his fingertips. He didn't struggle or anything so he tested extending a big further, until his palms touched the floor. Baekhyun had always been flexible but could feel a nice stretch in his lower back, booty, and thighs. And man... were his thighs thick. They rubbed together now and his once loose jeans were almost leggings. He'd need to take a minute and regain some control of his grazing before his body got out of control.

 

"We should uh... probably stop snacking so much..." Baekhyun explained to Bitty a bit sternly as he slid on his sneakers, grabbed his wallet and keys, then headed for the door. "Or... maybe stop snacking on crappy food... I know it tastes good, but I don't need you coming out looking all... swollen or sugar high..."

 

He wasn't doing it on purpose, but Baekhyun had just about eaten his way through everything with high fructose corn syrup in it in the house in just a few days time. Cookies, cereal, ice cream, maple syrup, those little single server coffee creamers, it didn't matter as long as it was sweet. The task of grocery shopping would get him out of the house, get him some much needed excercise, and help him stay distracted from his snacking.

 

Once outside Baekhyun shot a curious glance to the neighbors house over the newly repaired gate that hadn't been painted yet. The tree that had fallen during the storm was gone, now just a stump in the yard, its trunk chopped into several logs of fire wood, wood chips, and mulch. The owner of the house next door had slowly hacked away at it to wittle the tree down to bits. He was the do it yourself type. Baekhyun had heard a chainsaw whirring a few times over the last few days. It was annoying as all hell to hear that high powered buzzing when he was trying to take a nap.

 

Still, it was a beautiful day. Not too hot, there was a nice breeze and the sky was crystaline blue. Baekhyun decided he would enjoy it. He wouldn't suspect the worst or be pessimistic today.

 

After all, what was the worst that could happen?

 

--- --- --- ---

 

And while Baekhyun had gotten dressed...

 

Sehun was so relieved he had a 30 minute break coming up.

 

Not only was he absolutely starving but he was frazzled as all hell. He was actually debating taking one of his anti-anxiety pills and he hadn't needed one in a few months.

 

Working so much was difficult and exhausting. Early morning coffee drinkers were horrible. Midday folks were a lot nicer though. Calmer. And they gave good tips.

 

But he could do this. He would do this. Sehun only had a few more days of this dusk til dawn schedule, then he'd be working full-time, second shift for only eight hours Monday through Friday until school started.

 

In the mean time, bye bye free time. Bye-bye summer.

 

"Why're you doing this again?" Luhan asked. He sounded annoyed but then he chuckled. "It can't be for the money. What're making like, $4 bucks an hour?"

 

"That's not funny." Sehun rolled his eyes. Even though Luhan couldn't see him he made sure his boyfriend could hear it by huffing loudly into his cell. 

 

"And for the umpteenth time, I'm doing it for the experience." Sehun spoke lowly as he walked to the back of the cafe, to the employee lounge. "I'd like my work ethic to speak for itself when I apply to publishing companies I'm interested in. Not my folks checkbook."

 

And this was 48% true. 

 

"You could be a little more supportive?" Sehun suggested. Almost snapped. His blood sugar was tanked.

 

"I am. And I'm not complaining babe, but--" Luhan started to say.

 

"--Buuuuut you sound like you are." Sehun cut in as he tossed his apron into his locker and bolted for the door. The lunch rush and quick caffeine fix folks were filing into the cafe.

 

They all looked drained, mad at life, and cheap. 

 

"I don't appreciate being questioned about this over and over, Lu. I've got a job. Deal with it." Sehun ruffled his hair, then he slid on a pair of sunglasses with his free hand and stepped outside into the natural light of midday.

 

Fresh, non coffee smelling air filled his lungs. He breathed deep.

 

"I'm not trying to question you... I just hate that you're working so much. Sure it's only been a week but I'm worried. You're so tired already and it's really sudden..." Luhan sounded apologetic.

 

"And I feel like you're keeping something from me." He added after a pause. 

 

In the distance a whistle blew and there was yelling and shuffling. Before Sehun could respond to Luhan the other boy asked him to hold on and then the line went slightly muffled.

 

"FIVE more laps and then we can take a break! Knees to chest people, KNEES TO CHEST! HUSTLE, HUSTLE!" Luhan commanded sharply.

 

Sehun shivered at his commanding tone. Serious voice Luhan was such a turn on.

 

He was making his way downtown, walking fast, headed eastbound to this nearby sushi, soup, and salad bar to grab a quick lunch. He'd had about enough of the food from the coffee shop and his low-rise skinny jeans were starting to feel tight in all the wrong places.

 

As he walked swiftly, Sehun glanced around. Downtown was always packed, even in the heat of humid and uncomfortable summer. He'd nearly bumped into a dozen people because he was only half paying attention while he chatted on the phone.

 

"Sorry babe. We're just wrapping up the first few rounds of practice and people are slack'in." Luhan explained after he came back on the line. He sounded even more annoyed now. "God, this team is a disgrace now after Park's Twitter nonsense... All morale and discipline is just gone. You know that ing damn fool hasn't shown himself since that day?"

 

Sehun wanted to laugh (Luhan was picking up his colorful vocabulary) but instead be grimaced. The mention of Chanyeol made his scalp itch. He actually hadn't seen or heard from the LAX captain since that drunken, high, revealing revelation in his bedroom either. Park had gone dark and completely radio silent.

 

Morbid thought, but Sehun was starting to wonder if Kyungsoo's parents had Chanyeol put in jail or killed him or something.

 

"What do you think he's up to? He hasn't told you guys his plans?" Sehun probed a little and tugged at the color of his v-neck light blue t-shirt. "And is he still on the team? I heard the athletics board was thinking of benching his ."

 

" if I know, and not ." Luhan groused. "As of right now the board is all tight lipped and scared because they don't want Do's parents to pull their funding to the school. You know Do Pharmaceuticals stocks skyrocketed after Chanyeol's anniversary post? Those investors must be creaming their Armani suits right now. And Remember that LAX meeting I told you I went to last week? We were talking about what to do about Prick--I mean--Park."

 

Sehun paused and looked around. No he didn't remember talking about any meeting because all they'd done was have and sleep that night. And every night since. 

 

"...And?" He pressed.

 

"And nothing. We don't know what to do." Luhan sighed. Another whistle blew behind him and he cursed under his breath. "Park's got like, immunity or protection or whatever being Do's side-piece. He's missed practice, meetings, Coach K can't reach him... You know I'm starting to think he might be dead."

 

That term, side-piece, made Sehun freeze in his tracks and he pushed up his sunglasses with his middle finger.

 

"Kyungsoo's creep'in?" He asked.

 

Uh hu~uuuh. Creep'in~.

 

He knew Kyungsoo was fooling around. Chanyeol had said as much. It's why Kyungsoo had an illegitimate and metaphorical bun slow roasting in his metaphorical oven. But to hear Luhan, a neutral party confirm this detail was jaw dropping.

 

"Man, hell yeah. He's had some guy he's been fooling around with on the down low since like, 8th grade." Luhan sneezed, once, twice, three times, then he sniffled. "Excuse me... Allergies are acting up. Anyway, like, not to put his business out there or whatever, but we all know. It's why he hangs out with the LAX team so much. It's one of them."

 

Them being not one of Luhan's main squad.

 

Sehun's heartbeat speed up. The process of elimination would narrow down potential candidates easily enough and he could do that in his sleep. He clamped his mouth shut because holy , he hadn't expected to get this kind of information today. Sehun realized gleefully that he might be able to figure out who Kyungsoo's baby daddy was.

 

Today!

 

"Hold on a sec babe." He said and patted his back pockets. Damn, no pen or notepad, it was in his apron. He looked at his phone and pulled up a blank Word document. Immediately he made a list of the LAX members by name, rank, and monetary net worth to document his findings, but just a few names down the list he was left with players who really weren't anything special. Sure they had money and maybe well to do family members, but they were just average and definitely not people Sehun could see Kyungsoo getting involved with. Even as a make out hook-up. 

 

Never mind messing up and having unprotected with them.

 

"Unless this really is just a huge accident..." Sehun said out loud. He'd stepped off to the side so people pass him on the sidewalk while he typed and muttered to himself. "Did a break? Birth control fail? What? Or was Do Kyungsoo really  just that careless?"

 

Investigation mode activated.

 

Maybe, Sehun thought as he cocked his head to the side, that explained why Kyungsoo was really scared. Sure an unplanned pregnancy could be devastating but he had money, help, and access to endless resources. He'd be fine honestly.

 

Kyungsoo could carry, give birth, and probably live his life like nothing happened.

 

"Unless... The father of his baby is a no body his parents don't approve of." Sehun breathed.

 

Talk about shame on his family. Shame on his farm. Shame on his cows. Shame on the clothes on his back...

 

"This..." Sehun stuck his fist into his mouth and bounced up and down. "This is just too good..." He nearly shrieked.

 

If any of his deductions turned out to be right or true, Sehun could use this extremely scalding hot tea to put Kyungsoo in his place. His pregnancy alone was enough to ruin him, but this? Kyungsoo would never be able to with Baekhyun now. 

 

He'd be the one being out casted at school. He'd have to leave the country.

 

"Sehun? You still there?" Luhan was asking, his voice tinny and far away.

 

"Oh, yeah, sorry!" Sehun pressed his phone back to his ear and continued walking.

 

"What was I saying? Oh yeah! I think Park does know Do is messing around but you know, he's all loyal and stuff. I thought he was faking but I really think he might legit like Kyungsoo. I kind of feel bad for the guy. They've had sort of a toxic relationship but I guess they work?" 

 

Sehun's step faltered and his face pinched up liked he bitten into a cube of lemon garnished with salt.

 

If only Luhan knew what he knew.

 

"Do you know with who? Who else is Kyungsoo messing around with?" Sehun asked quickly as he pulled open a door to a large building. A thin layer of sweat immediately began to cool on his neck and chest. He shivered. 

 

"No idea. I really wish I knew too because I don't know, I might beat the guys just because. Either way, this is not a good look for the team. And right after our trip to Spain?" Luhan made a growling sound of disapproval. "No one is gonna take us seriously with this kind of scandal. I mean, we're all cool with Kyungsoo and Park dating but everyone's talking about how they're engaged after that photo..."

 

Luhan got really quiet for a moment but Sehun could hear him breathing hard as he took an elevator up to reach skyway level. As busy as it was, his ride was alone.

 

"I don't know... Babe... There's no ing way that's possible right? Those two aren't that stupid." Luhan asked softly.

 

Sehun smirked. "You would think." He said a bit sardonically.

 

The elevator dinged and he stepped off into the melting pot of folks navigating the much cooler and more comfortable sun filled skyways of downtown. Despite the ambient noise of everyday chatter, Sehun could hear Luhan just fine.

 

"Thiiis iiis stressing me the hell out soooo bad." Luhan took a shuddery breath. "And Kai isn't helping. Coach K. has him acting as Captain in Park's place and dudes ego tripping hard. I get why but it's so annoying."

 

Sehun could just see him trembling in frustration. He bit his lip in anticipation. Oh yeah. Mmhmm. They'd totally be having really good, kind of rough, and dirty stress relieving soon. Maybe tonight if dinner and the movie with his folks didn't go too late and he wasn't too tired after.

 

"Lu--" Sehun began to say.

 

"Ooooh my God... Guys! GUYS? WHAT THE FU--Sehun hold on." There was silence, stomping feet, then a smacking sound and a yell of pain. "Get up! You're tired?! How and why?! You haven't DONE ANYTHING! I'll make you losers run until you die if YOU DON'T SHAPE UP!!"

 

Sehun pulled his phone away from his ear and winced. "Yikes..." He mumbled. Luhan was really pissed. Sehun rarely ever heard him yell like that.

 

"KIM! JONGDAE! YEAH, I'M TALKING TO YOU! TRIP ONE MORE GOD DAMNED TIME AND I SWEAR TO GOD--Babe I gotta go. If you see me on the news tonight it means I killed someone. Don't try to bail me out. I'd be guilty. Love you!" Luhan hung up.

 

"Um, love... you too?" Sehun mumbled and chuckled.

 

He had to stop for a moment and gather his thoughts quickly, so he typed out a few more notes for the purpose of jogging his memory later. His stomach was screaming at him now and it was so hard to focus but he'd just learned so much so fast.

 

"I need to talk to Chanyeol." Sehun declared with a stiff nod. 

 

The other boy knew, without a doubt, who'd fathered Kyungsoo's baby and why it was bad. Sehun would bet money on it.

 

It's why Chanyeol had to lie and say the baby was his.

 

"Bless Luhan and his loose lips. This is a sign." Sehun sighed whimsically.

 

He would make sure to kiss and worship those lips later but right now he needed to eat before he passed out. He was down to 22 minutes of break left but thankfully he'd pre-ordered and paid for his meal so he just needed to pick it up. He stepped into the line at the little alcove sized sushi bar to wait. There were three people in front of him but they're orders came and went quickly.

 

"Yo!" He greeted the cashier sweetly and she was already handing him his order before he'd reached the register. The perks of being a regular and a good tipper was that people knew you and were eager to make your visit pleasant.

 

"I snuck a slice of green tea cheesecake in there for you." She whispered and glanced around. "I know it's your fave. And I put some extra pickled ginger in there too."

 

Sehun put his hand over his heart in a dramatic gesture of gratitude. "You can't keep spoiling me like this." He cooed. Then he pulled out his wallet and dropped a $10 dollar bill into the tip jar on the counter.

 

"Thank you for this." He motioned to his bag and turned to go sit only to stop dead in his tracks. He'd almost barreled into someone who's head barely came up just below his chin because he'd looked right past them. They stumbled and seemed to have trouble catching themselves.

 

"Whoops, sorry, my bad." Sehun said quickly and placed a supportive hand on the persons shoulder. They kept their head ducked and had on a black cap but Sehun had heard their muffled grunt. It was a boy.

 

Said boy was covered head to toe in dark colors consisting of jeans, a long sleeved sweater and a black face mask. He trembled a little bit.

 

"It's... it's okay." He said and waved weakly. If his pale hands were anything to go by, he wasn't okay or doing so hot.

 

Actually he probably was just hot shrouded in clothes better suited for winter. It was 85 degrees outside. Sehun felt overheated and breathless just looking at the guy.

 

"Sure..." Sehun replied carefully and took a seat to eat. The boy went to order his food.

 

Sehun was so famished that he practically ripped his bag open and scooped up the tray of sushi, then he uncapped his miso soup and took a long and deep sip right from the small plastic bowl. The delicate broth and tofu cubes filled his belly with warmth and nourishment.

 

"Man, that's good." Sehun  his lips and went to work on his seaweed salad, brown rice, and sushi. Eating quickly, but chewing cafefully. He immediately started to feel better with some food in him so he sighed in satisfaction. He was never missing breakfast again. 

 

Tentatively Sehun watched the time and glanced around to gaze at people while they shopped and walked through the shopping center. He actually spotted a few people he knew from school walking through the skyway like a gaggle of geese and they were squawking just as loudly. It took everything in him not to duck and hide. He seriously wasn't in the mood to be fake friendly right now.

 

Thankfully they didn't see him.

 

"Small world..." Sehun noted around a mouthful of rice.

 

"Sir, are... Are you okay?" The cashier was asking suddenly, uneasily, from the register. She came around the counter quickly. "Maybe you should sit down?"

 

"I'm fine..." The boy in black said very softly. But his voice shook with uncertainty. "I'm just... I'm just a little nauseated... It's the heat." He pulled his mask away from his face and panted like he'd just run 10 blocks at breakneck speed. 

 

Sehun looked over his shoulder curiously to watch what was happening and the cashier ushered the other guest to sit nearby.

 

"Just wait here, please. Okay? I'll g-get you some water." She offered anxiously and hastily went to complete this task. She looked absolutely stricken and Sehun could tell she'd never expected to deal with a situation like this. When she came back with a bottle of water and handed it over, the boy took it with a trembling hand, uncapped it, and pulled down his face mask completely to drink deep. He polished off nearly the entire bottle in a few gulps.

 

"A-are you sure you're okay?" The cashier asked and flailed. "Maybe I should call an ambulance?"

 

"That's not necessary..." The boy said sternly after he swallowed a mouthful of water. A bit of color had come back to his face and his voice was steadier.

 

Sehun dropped his chopsticks then his jaw fell open.

 

"Noway..." He breathed in disbelief, then he glanced up at the ceiling and blinked. "You... You really do listen." 

 

Sehun wasn't religious but for once, his prayers had been answered.

 

Sitting barely 10 feet away from him, shaking, nearly hungry vampire white, small but deadly and shrouded in black was none other than the Dark Lord himself.

 

Do Kyungsoo.

 

--- --- --- --- ---

 

On the other side of town...

 

With the AC on blast, Baekyun cruised cheerfully down the street in the car. At the next light he made a beeline for Super Target.

 

As he drove his phone began to vibrate in his pocket. He didn't dare attempt to answer it though. Whoever was calling would have to wait until he was were safely parked.

 

A few minutes later the teen eased into a parking spot on the opposite end of the lot at Target, putting him nearly a block and a half away from the doors. The place was packed.

 

"Wow... Must be a sale going on..." Baekhyun said as he ambled to the building. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and checked to see whos call he'd missed. It was the same strange number again. They'd actually called three times, back to back, and they hadn't left a voice mail this time either.

 

"Weird..." Baekhyun frowned just as he passed through the doors. Cool air hit him in the face then he grabbed a cart and pulled out his mom's shopping list. Immediately a sense of pride washed over him. Sure grocery shopping wasn't difficult but doing so, being able to help out his mom, made him feel a little grown up.

 

It made him feel responsible.

 

Five minutes later Baekhyun realized coming here was a mistake. 

 

Maybe it was fate or the stars had aligned backwards, but as he stared critically at a package of parmesan encrusted chicken s with a red $1 OFF sticker tacked to it, he glanced up just in time to see his school mates Minseok, Jongdae, and LuHan idling near the mini Starbucks cafe.

 

Baekhyun gasped audibly loud and dropped his chicken back into the cooler. He startled a woman standing next to him and she looked in the direction he was looking with a hand over her heart.

 

"Whythehell--?" He breathed in absolute shock. "Why are they here?"

 

Didn't they have weights to lift, laps to run, and whey protein smoothies to drink? Why was 1/4 of the Lacrosse team standing in Target anyway? None of them shopped here. They didn't even live on this--

 

Oh hell.

 

Baekhyun clenched his jaw when he realized what he'd done. He'd inadverantly driven to the Target that wasn't far from their school. That explained why it was so packed and full of high school students. Everyone here was training for their respective sport and needed to refuel and rehydrate.

 

With a cautious glance Baekhyun saw some members of the Swim and Debate team were hanging out too and one of his track team members, Hakyeon, was currently ringing up orders in the cafe. Baekhyun had completely forgotten the other boy worked here and they hadn't talked in weeks. Hakyeon was glowing, his almond skin looked even richer and his lean muscles flexed while he handed out a million cups. This was evidence that he was training hard and well this summer.

 

Unlike Baekhyun.

 

"!" He hissed. If Hakyeon saw him he'd totally tell Coach Leetuek. Track practice hadn't exactly been optional this summer.

 

Baekhyun's heartbeat pumped double time as he quickly turned away and nearly ran over the same elderly woman with his plastic red cart. She looked mildly concerned about his well being as he bowed in apology and rushed past her.

 

He had to hide. Or leave. Or just... melt into the linoleum floor. Anything to not be in this potentially embarrassing situation right now. It would haunt him the rest of summer and all of senior year.

 

Seriously, was destiny really about to be petty like this with him?

 

Hadn't he been punished enough?

 

If Minseok, Jongdae, and LuHan were here, that meant Chanyeol could be here too.

 

"Wait..." Baekhyun whispered as he slowed down and ducked.  "I-is Chanyeol even back yet?"

 

Last he'd heard was the other boy was still in Spain with Kyungsoo and Sehun hadn't said otherwise. That was kind of a vital piece of information. Sehun would have been the first to know too.

 

There was no way he'd keep that from Baekhyun either.

 

"What the hell, is there a two-for-one sale on lattes or something?" Baekhyun mumbled, hunched behind a shelf full of boxes of granola bars and instant coffee, then he squinted to read a banner hanging over the cafe. Ironically enough, there was a two for one sale on iced coffee, those overpriced smoothies, and B12 infused juice drinks.

 

"God. Damn. It. I should've stayed home..." Baekhyun scoffed and hastily turned to creep deeper into the store. 

 

If by some cruel twist of fate Chanyeol was here, he knew he wasn't strong enough to face him today. Especially when he wasn't even dressed cute and his hair had no product in it.

 

He moved swiftly passed the milk, ice cream, seafood, and boxed dinners deep into the seasonal items section that was full of 75% off 4th of July decorations, grills and tools, lawn chairs, garden stuff, camping gear, pesticides, bug repellent and tiki candle torches. Once nestled deep in the home goods isle Baekhyun breathed a sigh of relief.

 

No one from his school would wander back here.

 

"Damn, those mosquitos are freaking vicious today!" A boy shrieked from around the corner. "What do they want from me? I know I smell delicious but damn? It's bad enough I've gotta deal with the blood little s at home thanks to this huge as hell tree that fell in the yard, now I have to deal with them during practice? Look at me! They're eating me alive--!"

 

again! 

 

Baekhyun knew that voice. He sat behind said voice in math class, but usually Kim Jongdae's tone wasn't so loud and grating that it could break bullet proof glass.

 

"Uuum, I don't think those are bug bites. That seriously looks like poison ivy."  Another boy's voice said. "What were you even doing, rolling around in the grass?"

 

Baekhyun immediately recognized the other voice too and he took a few steps back in haste and nearly tumbled into a grill and knocked it off a display. He caught it and winced. Lord, the security cameras must have all zeroed in on him by now.

 

Jongdae choked in disbelief and he was a lot closer to Baekhyun's hiding place. If not for the metal shelf between them they'd be looking right at each other.

 

"That crap grows in people's yards?!" Jongdae whined. "I told dad we needed a gardener! Ever since mom made me move into the ghetto with him he's been trying to cut corners and do house and yard work himself, now he's making me help! It so hard!"

 

"Ssshh, damn dude, keep your voice down--and stop scratching it. God, I can't take you anywhere." The second voice came around the corner at the opposite end of the aisle and the doll like face of Kim Minseok appeared. He looked extremely concerned and mildly embarrassed with his short brown hair pulled into a tiny top knot. This was a style that wouldn't have looked good on anyone else but he pulled it off well. A 24.oz coffee was in his hand and he was sipping it through a straw. It wasn't iced.

 

"Look, just grab some hydrocortisone cream and stop bothering it you spoiled brat." Minseok's inquisitive almond shaped eyes scanned the shelf and he made his way down the aisle, dressed in a tank top, track pants, and sneakers. His biceps seemed to be catching the fluorescent light in a way Baekhyun had never seen before.

 

They looked like majestic flesh toned mountains in the morning light.

 

"But... but it buuuuurns..." Jongdae cried, now in plain view. His face was screwed up in obvious discomfort.

 

He too was dressed like he was out running a 10K, doing push ups, and working up a sweat with his bare tanned and toned arm exposed. Both of them had angry red looking clusters of scratches on the forearms and he was digging his nails into them to find some relief.

 

Baekhyun grimaced in empathetic pain from his hiding spot. "Damn, that does looks painful..." He pouted softly. He had the sudden and very strong urge to offer help to Jongdae. He wanted to soothe Jongdae's ache with some aloe vera gel and a cold compress, but he clamped his mouth shut and tried to tiptoe away down the adjacent aisle.

 

Clearly he needed to go hang out in the personal care, hygiene, and family planning section until the coast was clear. Unlike many teenagers, Baekhyun wasn't put off by the array of boxes full of tampons and pads that were placed non too conspicuously next to condoms, lube, and pregnancy tests.

 

Just as he spotted the colorful packaging, a Target employee screeched to a stop in front of him on an entire flatbed full of boxed garden table sets and blocked his escape. The worker even smiled at Baekhyun as if to say "Nah ah, you're not getting away that easily.".

 

"Son-of-a--!" Baekhyun squeaked fitfully. If he hadn't been pregnant he'd have just climbed and vaulted over this obstacle with no problem. In his current state he was both helpless and trapped. Baekhyun whipped back around and waited for this inevitable encounter.

 

"Ungh, Jongdae, stop! You're making me twitch..." Minseok admonished and yanked Jongdae's claw hooked fingers away from his damaged skin. "You're gonna draw blood..."

 

"But it itches--!"

 

"Yes, I know, but it'll only get worse if you keep messing with it." Minseok explained gently as he stopped midway down the shelf. He found what he was looking for and grabbed a can of OFF! insect repellent. "Just hold on until we get you some Benadryl. Rub and pat it gently for now."

 

"Yes, doctor Kim." Jongdae drawled in a slightly mocking tone, but he took the other boys advice and started to gently pat, pat, pat, and rub, rub, rub his itchy red arms. His expression melted into one of bliss. "Aaaaawwwww my god, that feels soooo gooood..."

 

"Should we get unscented or orange zest?" Minseok wondered and inspected the labels on each can of bug spray critically. "--Or how about Fresh Mountain Springs? You know, because smelling exactly like the thing mosquitos lay eggs in is a sure fire way to keep them off of you." The sarcasm was real in his voice. He sat that can down.

 

Baekhyun was close enough to them now to catch a whiff of their very earthy scents and his nostrils flared against his will.

 

They smelled like boys.

 

Not in that gross, good-god-your-nose-hairs-are-burning-away, funky kind of boy smell either, but in that fresh cut grass, sun, heat, musk, antiperspirant, expensive cologne and testosterone kind of way.

 

Goddamn the testosterone.

 

Baekhyun swallowed thickly and pressed his palm to his chest as his senses did a back flip and his loins tingled. That annoying aroused and moist sensation hit him like a smack to the back of his thighs this time. Jesus, why did they smell so nice when he knew how grimy and sweaty they were right now? And why did they look so good?

 

True Minseok and Jongdae were super attractive to begin with but now they looked like really hot underwear models.

 

The pregnant teen pinched himself hard. Almost so hard that he cried out but he bit his bottom lip and stifled his cries. He was trying to shake off his dazed stupor. Now was not the time for him to be swooning over his classmates.

 

And the reality was, even though he got along well enough with these two, he really didn't think things would be the same now that he was pregnant with Chanyeol's baby.

 

Before, they were just classmates and fellow athletes. Now, they were Chanyeol's friends. Chanyeol's squad. Chanyeol's apologists. They approved of Chanyeol's relationship with Kyunsoo. They supported and probably would fiercely protect it and they might have an issue with Baekhyun if they ever found out about his past with their captain.

 

They could turn into enemies real quick.

 

But despite all of that... Right now? Today? In this moment? Minseok and Jongdae were looking and feeling a hell of a whole lot like people Baekhyun could see himself hooking all the way the hell up with.

 

Especially Minseok. 

 

"Jesus, was he... Always this damn y...?" Baekhyun gulped audibly and his lips. The taste of Sehun and his grapefruit lip balm wasn't as yummy right now.

 

Minseok looked like the type who liked it rough and dirty. Baekhyun would totally let him get it from the back. And maybe raw too--

 

Baekhyun's eyes widened and he recoiled in silent shock with himself. He actually had to put his hand on his chest and judge himself because um, whoa?! Where had that come from? He'd never just thought about hardcore type with random people like this before.

 

Ever.

 

This had to be his pregnancy hormones, he realized.

 

Deciding to test this theory, Baekhyun edged around the corner to look (okay yes, he wanted to stare at the guys again) and yeah, Minseok still looked impossibly delicious. But that was it, he just looked good. He always had. 

 

Baekhyun's reaction had definitely been the baby hormones and he found that to be a relief. He was not an undercover hoe. Literally no one else in the store was looking like a fresh cut of juicy prime rib sizzling in butter to him right now. Still...

 

"It's not fair..." Baekhyun whined softly. Why couldn't he have one of them? Or both.

 

Also, he was having a really hard time believing Minseok and Jongdae were just like him.

 

They were bi-reproductive too.

 

But while here he was, soft and curved all over, they were angular, sharp, strong, and they definately...

 

...Didn’t have to...

 

...Pee really badly at that exact moment!

 

"Ngh!" Baekhyun grunted, crossed his legs, pursed his lips, then he willed himself to hold it. The feeling of arousal a mere second ago was now a full and aching bladder. "D-damn. O-orange. J-juice...!" He was going to explode. He took a deep breath and peered around the corner again. "Damn, can y'all hurry the hell up?"

 

"Anyway, let's go get your itch cream and stuff and hurry up before Luhan gets on our asses about slacking. I seriously don't feel like listening to him go off again. My ears are still ringing from earlier." Minseok groused. He held five cans of bug repellent in his hands now.

 

"No kidding. He's getting mean..." Jongdae pouted as they turned to head out of the aisle. "I miss Chanyeol."

 

Baekhyun bounced as he waited until they were gone, then he darted down the lane, his cart abandoned, and took a different path to the front of the store so he could get to the restroom. If he hadn't looked suspicious before, he definitely did now. Any moment now a security guard was going to be on his , thinking he was fleeing the store in an attempt to steal something.

 

That thankfully didn't happen but Baekhyun almost didn't make it.

 

He sighed loud in relief and peed for nearly a full minute too. It had barely been an hour since he'd had that juice but he felt like he'd been holding it all day. Baekhyun knew this would only get worse as the baby grew and pressed against his bladder. He wouldn't be able to move nearly as quickly as his belly got bigger either.

 

Now, with the pee crisis averted and his hands freshly washed, Baekhyun wandered back out into the store and grabbed a new cart, then he glanced around. He didn't see any signs of his classmates and the mini cafe wasn't packed with students anymore.

 

"Good. Hopefully they all left so we can shop in peace." Baekhyun said and hastily ducked back into the fresh produce section to finish shopping.

 

He wasn't leaving without his mom's groceries.

 

"Milk, eggs, bread, rice, onions, garlic, oooh avocados, cilantro, sour cream, ground beef, salsa... Ooooh mom's making tacos! Yay!" Baekhyun chirped happily. His belly and Bitty gurgled in excitement too. "Light rice pudding, arugula... What the hell's arugula?"

 

When he found the strange leafy green in he sniffed it and nibbled a small piece. It just tasted sort of tart but it was fresh. His stomach didn't reject it either.

 

"Hmm, not bad I guess." Baekhyun said.

 

While he shopped he imagined the baby cradled to his chest while it slept in one of those little slings, pressed safe, warm, and soft into his body. The thought made his heart just swell in a way he'd never felt before. He really couldn't wait to touch, see, and just breathe the baby in.

 

January just felt so far away right now.

 

"Your grandma and I are gonna make sure you eat lots of healthy and yummy stuff so you grow big and strong, okay? And that means lots of veggies and protein instead of junk." Baekhyun said to his belly very lowly just as he hooked his middle finger around the vine of some tomatoes. He had one of them cradled in his plam when a chill ran down his spine and made him tense.

 

"Byun?" A soft voice chuckled from behind him. "I thought that was you I saw running like hell through the isle. What's up?"

 

Baekhyun's shoulders hunched almost involuntarily and nearly brushed the bottoms of his ears as he ducked his head. For the first time in his life he wished he was a turtle. He'd have snatched his head and limbs into his shell and rolled the hell away.

 

Just ! He should have left. There were other Target's in the world.

 

"H-heeey..." Baekhyun responded, voice weak. He turned to acknowledge the boy who too was dressed in black track pants and a red tank top. A sweat stain ran down the front of his shirt nearly to his belly button. He was sipping on a dark green smoothie.

 

Baekhyun could weirdly smell all of the spinach and kale in it and his nose twitched like he had to sneeze. The boy's scent, or whatever cologne he had on, was bitter and overwhelming too.

 

"W-what's uh... What's up Luhan...?" Baekhyun asked.

 

"Not much, just taking a break from practice. Didn't expect to see you here." Luhan spoke easily and smiled. His body was relaxed and his was posture friendly.

 

Because Luhan was a friendly guy. He always had been.

 

But the way he was looking Baekhyun up and down with his big, brown, doe eyes--almost like he was sizing him up--was very clearly calculating and a bit stand-offish. His right eyebrow popped up as he asked.

 

"How ya been? So you're who Sehun's been spending all of his time and energy on? Tch."

 

Luhan didn't actually say that last part. That's just what Baekhyun felt like he was thinking.

 

"I'm g-good... You know, just--" Baekhyun had a hard time articulating his thoughts. Luhan smelled just weird, like nature but mixed with rubbing alcohol and vitamins, and it was sort of messing with his stomach "--well, it's summer break. Our last one before college..."

 

"Right, right." Luhan nodded like Baekhyun had said the most profound thing he'd ever heard. "Doing some shopping huh?" He asked and took a long sip of his smoothie. The answer was obvious but Baekhyun answered anyway.

 

"Yeah just... grabbing some stuff for... you know, dinner." 

 

"You cook?" Luhan asked, clearly surprised.

 

Baekhyun shook his head and laughed a bit awkwardly, then he pushed the cart, indicating he was trying to move along with his but he mostly needed to put space between Luhan and himself before he started dry heaving.

 

"N-No way. I'm just helping my mom out."

 

"That's cool." Luhan replied and smiled again easily. "Sounds nice."

 

He followed Baekhyun.

 

The pregnant teen cursed inwardly. Great, just great. The last thing Baekhyun wanted to do was make small talk with not only one of the popular people in school, his best friends boyfriend, now Luhan was someone who's scent didn't sit well with his delicate senses.

 

And anything Baekhyun did or said would be repeated to everyone on the LAX team as well as Sehun. He'd have to be careful and he just wasn't sure he could be right now.

 

Baekhyun was inspecting a carton of whole milk, doing his best not to look over his shoulder, when Luhan spoke again.

 

"Haven't seen you out on the field lately."

 

Baekhyun sat the carton of milk back into the cooler and grabbed 2% instead. "Yeah... I've been busy. Work, home life stuff and everything." He chuckled nervously. "You know."

 

Of course Luhan knew. Sehun had told him.

 

"I heard. And I totally get it." Luhan said. His tone somewhat flippant. Baekhyun glanced at him, his expression skeptical.

 

There was not a chance in that Luhan could relate to what Baekhyun was going through. At least not financially. The other boy was wearing Under Armour workout clothes, a pair of New Balance running sneakers, and a FitBit Charge 2. Everything on Luhan's body literally cost more than the grocery money Baekhyun had in his wallet right now.

 

And Lord only knew how much Luhan's underwear cost.

 

"Still, you are competing this fall right? I mean, it's not too late to start training. You'll have to go like, super hard. Like, extra rigorous training--" Luhan craned his neck, his brown locks flopping cutely into his eyes, and looked Baekhyun up and down again.

 

The other teen tried hard not to look as put off or nauseous as he felt at Luhan being all up in his space.

 

"I could help." Luhan offered softly. "I'd hate to see your skills go to waste."

 

Baekhyun was sort of trapped between the cooler door, Luhan, and the cart so he held his breath, turned around, and tried to wedge himself past the other boy without making eye contact.

 

He knew Luhan meant well but this was honestly the last thing on Baekhyun's mind right now. Just thinking about not being able to compete this fall in cross-country made him feel insanely upset but he couldn't exactly tell Luhan why.

 

Also he was getting dizzy.

 

"Uh, thanks but... I uh, I don't--I'm not sure I can with work and everything... I'm ummm... Really busy so... I wouldn't want to waste your time..." Baekhyun tried to explain. His mouth tasted like pennies. Desperately he swiped on his grapefruit lip balm and his lips. It helped.

 

Sehun, the taste of him, helped.

 

"Oh c'mon." Luhan insisted as he trailed behind Baekhyun. "I know it sounds like a lot but you'll be in top form in no time. You were moving so quick through the store a minute ago, I saw you. And remember how it was for me when I got injured? I just had to focus really hard and it all came back to me. Mind over matter you know?"

 

"I-I'll think about it..?" Baekhyun tried again. He really didn't know what to say anymore.

 

Quickly, he turned the cart down an isle unexpectedly in another attempt to get away from Luhan, but the other athlete was just as swift and agile, so he easily kept up. Baekhyun pursed his lips to repress a frustrated sigh and scratched his scalp in irritation.

 

Why couldn't Luhan catch a clue?

 

"You really should. I mean, you're good Byun. Really good." Luhan pushed on and actually went as far as grabbing the cart to slow Baekhyun down. "Even Coach K. says so."

 

"Coach K... said that?" Baekhyun asked as he turned his head to side-eye Luhan warily. Before he spoke again he took a deep breath through his nose. "Why is he talking about me?"

 

For whatever reason, Luhan just outright ignored Baekhyun's question and instead said. "If you just had a bit more muscle you could totally play LAX. You ever considered trying out?"

 

Then Luhan reached out and grabbed Baekhyun's bicep. His grip was vice like.

 

"Oww--hey!?" Baekhyun yelped because it actually kind of hurt, but instead of letting go, Luhan squeezed and kneaded Baekhyun's arm curiously. The other teen grimaced and tried to pull away, his face pinched in pain. Luhan still didn't release him and then he made to try and pinch Baekhyun's side.

 

"Yah!?" Baekhyun cried out in Korean and wrenched away with his free arm crossed protectively across his belly. Then he stepped back and looked around. No one else was in the isle with them but surely someone he heard him. 

 

"Luhan, w-what are you doing!?" He asked a bit fearfully. Still in his--their--native language.

 

He and Luhan didn't know each other well enough for this interaction. Baekhyun really wanted to say this but he was so scared of pissing Luhan off.

 

"Geez, you're soft..." Luhan said. Then he half pouted, frowned in thought, and grinned.

 

Baekhyun wasn't sure if he was doing it because he was trying to mock him or because he was genuinely amused. He concluded that it was probably both.

 

"Let me guess, you haven't trained at all this summer have you? Look, no shame okay." Luhan held up his hands with his smoothie bottle hooked around his thumb. "I've been there. And I guess you're why my Sehunny is getting a little thick." He chuckled good naturedely and put his hands on his narrow hips, then he sighed. 

 

"But seriously Byun, you'll need to totally overhaul your diet to melt all of that fat. That was the hardest part for me. I put on so much weight when I was going through physical therapy..."

 

Luhan walked to the front of the cart and raked his blunt nails across his very obvious six-pack as he inspected the contents of the cart. He zeroed in on the rice and bread and shook his head. 

 

"Ungh, you're kill'in me, Byun." Luhan's eyebrows pinched together like he was in pain. "Bread is my vice... It's been sooo hard giving up carbs, but they'll totally up your body. The bad ones anyway, you know?" 

 

It took everything in Baekhyun not to ram into Luhan with the cart. He was practically shaking with repressed anger and embarrassment and his face was overheated due to a heavy blush. He'd never felt so insulted in his life.

 

Luhan had basically just called him a lazy fat who ate too much rice and bread and then blamed him for Sehun putting on a bit of weight.

 

The ing nerve. The damn audacity.

 

Baekhyun had to get the out of here.

 

"Yes, I know. But l-like I said..." Baekhyun gritted out and stared down at his feet. "I've been busy. I just really haven't had time to train so--"

 

"--That's why I'm offering you a chance to get back in the game." Luhan replied easily. If he could tell Baekhyun was upset he didn't seem to care.

 

"You need to try out for the LAX team."

 

Luhan's tone made it clear this wasn't a request.

 

"The guys and I all think you'd be great. And with my help? Byun, you'll be ing legendary." 

 

Baekhyun scoffed, swallowed thickly, then scoffed again while he processed what Luhan was telling him. He suddenly felt the urge to burst into tears and throw some . He was so upset he was finding it hard to speak. How did Luhan think it was okay to insult him, make remarks about his body, his discipline as an athlete, then try and compliment him? 

 

"L-Luhan, look... I really appreciate what you're trying to do... but I just... I can't think about this... right now." Baekhyun sniffled and gripped the cart, sure to keep his eyes trained on the floor as he made a sharp U-turn and made to escape. "I-I really need to finish shopping and get home--"

 

This time, when Luhan grabbed the cart he did so with a sharp jerk that brought Baekhyun and the cart to an abrupt stop.

 

"Are you seriously saying no?" Luhan was right up in Baekhyun's face now, his gaze smoldering and shining with something Baekhyun had never seen before.

 

The smaller teen cowered and leaned back against a shelf, then on instinct, he wrapped his arms around his abdomen.

 

This wasn't exactly his first time being picked on and though he'd never seen it happen, he wouldn't put it past Luhan to take a cheap shot and punch him in the stomach just to prove a point.

 

Jocks always did that . It didn't matter that this was a public place either. 

 

"P-please... Luhan, I-I--"

 

"To me?" Luhan spoke lowly, his voice rough, but it almost had a purr-like quality to it. "You're saying no to me?"

 

Baekhyun had squeezed his eyes shut but now he opened them and looked up. Luhan was gazing down at him with a small, easy smirk. He didn't look angry. Actually, he looked slightly perturbed. Maybe disappointed? Now Baekhyun wasn't sure if the other boy was trying to seduce him, beg him, or scare the out of him, but his senses all screamed "Warning! Danger! Be afraid!"

 

Why hadn't security come to save him yet, Baekhyun wondered.

 

"I-I'm saying that... That I d-don't know y-y-yet." Baekhyun stuttered meekly. "I c-c-can't promise a-anything..."

 

"Byun. Byun? C'mooooon. You don't think I'd give this chance to just anyone do you? There's other potential players but you? You're my first choice." Luhan titled his head so he could catch Baekhyun's eyes. "The team needs you." He gently tipped Baekhyun's head up, then he brushed Baekhyun's longish bangs out of his eyes.

 

Baekhyun flinched at the touch.

 

"I need you too." Luhan's words came out like a wistful and needy sigh and now he was nearly pressing his lips to the shell of Baekhyun's ear. His breath smelled like a salad dashed with lemon zest. 

 

"It'll be fun. Think of how much time we'll spend together while we practice. Alone. There are people who would kill to be in your position right now..."

 

If Baekhyun hadn't already been smashed into a shelf, he'd have just stumbled back into one in absolute shock.

 

Ho. Ly. .

 

Was Luhan coming on to him right now? 

 

What about Sehun?

 

"G-get off me--!" Baekhyun reacted before he thought better of it and shoved Luhan away. There was enough force that Luhan stumbled back and nearly crashed into the opposite shelf. He caught himself but still knocked a few boxes of cereal off the shelf. Both Baekhyun and Luhan winced and looked around quickly.

 

Luhan stood up tall, cleared his throat, and fixed his shirt. "Damn, Byun, you're not as weak as you--"

 

"I don't know what the hell you're trying to do but I'm not--I'm not playing these kinds of ed up mind  games okay! So just stop!" Baekhyun snapped, all fear gone and replaced by anger. "S-Sehun is my best friend you know! I'd never... He's m-my..." 

 

How could Luhan do this? Was he serious?

 

Luhan recoiled a little in clear surprise but he didn't look the slightest bit sorry. He actually looked confused, then he crossed his arms, causing his muscles to flex. That made Baekhyun lose his nerve so he turned sharply, the cart of groceries forgotten, and made for the main exit.

 

They'd have to have tacos another time.

 

Baekhyun practically ran to the doors and standing like sentinels nearby was Minseok and Jongdae. They both perked up when they saw Baekhyun, then Minseok called out to him. The other teen slowed down and glared in open hostility.

 

The two boys no longer looked like delectible and delicious snacks. Now they just looked like devious little devils. Luhan's leering lackeys. Mean minions flaunting fake smiles and friendliness.

 

"Hey Baek!" Minseok said smiling sweetly. "Luhan said he saw you in there. Did you see him? Did he talk to you by--"

 

"Yeah, I saw that ing !" Baekhyun barked back.

 

A woman with a child had just been about to pass him but they dodged and used the other door to avoid him. Baekhyun really didn't care if he was making a damn fool of himself anymore. The security cameras hadn't helped him when Luhan was all up in his grill. They could burn in hell.

 

Minseok's smile flew off of his face and he shot a concerned look to Jongdae, who just shrugged in equal wide eyed confusion.

 

"Uh... You okay Baek?" Minseok asked gently. His soft almond shaped eyes widened in honest worry. "D-did something happen between with Luhan?"

 

Baekhyun scoffed and balled his fists, rattling the car keys tight in his grip.

 

"Like you give an iota of a ! And stop calling me "Baek" like were friends! We're not and never will be!" He took a step forward and it struck him than that he was a few millimeters taller than the buffer, stronger, and a few weeks older Minseok. 

 

The Lacrosse player just froze.

 

"You're all the same--" Baekhyun snarled. "--stuck up, rich, spoiled, self-absorbed, name brand wearing jackasses who can't take no for an answer! You think just 'cause you're popular and drowning in your parents trust funds that you can play with people's emotions like that? Huh?! all of you and your stupid sport, I hope you fall face first into the dirt and choke!"

 

Without another word, Baekhyun took off through the parking lot, form perfect, back straight, leaving both Minseok and Jongdae thrown for a loop.

 

"Daaamn, he's like The Flash." Jongdae said in awe and popped a small pink and white pill into his mouth. Then he blew a breath through his floppy bangs in what sounded like relief. "Byun really would kill it on the field on our team. But I think he might need some anger management classes first..."

 

"W-wha..." Minseok stuttered and blinked rapidly, like his brain was malfunctioning. "What the hell just happened?" He wondered breathlessly. He swallowed thickly then rubbed his chest as he turned to go back inside of Target.

 

"No clue. I'm just glad someone else got yelled at for once." Jongdae admitted with a lopsided smile, then he and wrapped his arm carefully around Minseok's shoulders so he wouldn't agitate his poison ivy rash.

 

"No way he was mad at me. I haven't even seen him since break started." Minseok said, his voice a little tight. His skin had flushed red in embarrassment.

 

"Right? That was hella misdirected rage. Maybe he's got the cramps? They ." Jongdae shivered and rubbed his lower belly.

 

"And I like Lacrosse." He added after a minute as they searched around for Luhan.  "Why Lacrosse gotta be stupid?"

 

"Never mind that, what the hell did Luhan do? I've never seen Byun so pissed." Minseok said.

 

Luhan came up to them a few minutes later, pushing a cart full of groceries. When the boys asked him about them (because it was full of things Luhan wouldn't eat) he said he had to do some last minute shopping.

 

A list was in his hand and he refused to leave Target until he'd gotten everything on it.

 

--- --- --- ---

Tbc...

--- --- --- ---

 

Jesus, I tried really hard to cut this into parts!! This is turning into a slow burn fic like for real for real. I keep wanting to skip stuff but these brats won't let me. Sometimes slice of life settings are hard to keep interesting too so I apologize if some of the scenes seem lame but THIS IS REAL LIFE OKAY! I think I might try a week by week thing as we follow Baek's pregnancy progress. So strap in for probably like 85 episo--I mean, chapters. 

 

And because I am petty, I plan on making things worse before I make them better. Maybe. We'll see.

 

Btw, if it wasn't hella obvious I live in the US, in Minnesota, in the city. I'm also a name brand product junkie. I own a FEW of the products I mention in the story so if it comes off like I'm trying to promote some it's not intentional. I like to firmly root my stories in the real world. (These companies owe me some money for hyping them up tho.)