Chapter 4

Light

Where am I? I wonder as I look around, but unable to see even a speck of dust due to my surroundings being pitch black. Blindly taking a step to which way I assumed was forward, I felt myself moving within the vast darkness. I was scared. I couldn't see a single thing and that scared me dramatically. As I take one more step, a blinding light is surrounding me. Covering my eyes to protect them, I see the light from a figure. A boy or a girl, I don't know. All I know is that this person is the total opposite if me if they can be that bright. "W-Who are you?" I ask, blinking my eyes in hopes to see the person's face.

"A friend." The person answered. By the voice, I could tell it was a boy. Proabably around my age too. The voice even sounded familiar, but I couldn't recognize it at all. Whose voice is that? I thought to myself as the light vanished again.

This time I wasn't in pitch black though. I was in my room, in my bed to be precise. What was that? I wondered, looking at my alarm clock.

7:30am

I jolt into a sitting position in horror. Damn, I'm going to be late! With that thought, I get out of bed quickly and do my morning routine before heading out the door and to school. In my rush, I bump into someone, hard. We both fall on to the cement with a thud. The person picks up the stuff that fell from their bag and proceeds to yelling at me. "Watch where you're going. You could have..." He then looks up at me and I see that it's Hikaru. "Oh, sorry, Yabu... I didn't know it was you..."

"It's fine... I would be angry too if you bumped into me that hard and I didn't know it was you." I assure him with a smile, getting up and extending a hand to him. He takes it, letting me pull him back on to his feet.

"Thank you." He smiled. I nod and we walk to school together.

~ ~ ~

"Neh, Hikaru... Who is that?" I ask Hikaru at lunch, motioning with my head to the guy sitting with Inoo and the others.

"Oh, him? Matsumoto Kohei." He explained. "Kei has known him since childhood! He knew him before he met you, but then... He suddenly moved away."

"Suddenly?" I ask, eyeing the guy that Hikaru said was named Kohei.

"Yeah... Kei said his parents had to move for their jobs and since he was still young, of course he had to go with them."

"I see..." I nod, but couldn't help this bad feeling that I got from him.

"Yabu... Are you okay?" Hikaru's voice snaps me back into reality. I nod at him and go back to eating my lunch, making a mental note to myself about talking to this guy later.

Hikaru's POV

Something was wrong with him, I could feel it. I knew that Yabu never really wanted to be at school, but today was different. His mood was off. Way more than usual. "Kei, what did you do?" I ask Kei.

"What do you mean?" Kei asks me.

"To Yabu..."

"Nothing. Not today anyway."

"Liar..."

"I'm not." Kei retorts. "Ask him yourself, I didn't do anything to him today."

"Hm..."

"Ready to go, Kei?" Kohei asks Kei, getting a nod from him as he follows the other out of the cafeteria. I wonder if Kohei has something to do with this... I wonder as I watch the two walk off. Kohei stops and tells Kei something before coming back while Kei walks on ahead of him. "You really should stop trying to help Yabu... Kei won't believe him, you know?"

"How do you..." I start but then I figured that Kei must have told him. "Kei told you, didn't he?"

"Not exactly..." Kei didn't tell him? I think to msyelf as it came as a shock for me. "You remember the girl, right?"

"What girl?"

"Kei's girlfriend." He answers. "What was her last name?"

"Her last..." I blink with confusion as her last name comes to me. "Are you her brother?"

"Cousin, actually." He corrects me. "You know Yabu's side of the story and Kei's side of the story, but what you don't know was that I was behind the scenes for all of it."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Oh, nothing. I have to go now." He waves to me as he walks out of the cafeteria again.

"Wait." I call after him. He stops, letting me catch up with him. "Tell me what you did."

"Why should I? I don't want to help you."

"He won't believe me anyway, so why don't you help me?" I ask, bringing my hand to my pocket to press the record button so that it would record everything he said.

"Alright, but first..." He said, placing his hand in front of me. "Give me your phone." I blinked at him, giving it to him and watching him pocket it away after making it stop recording. "Can't have you giving him this recording, can we?" I growl at him silently before he decides to lead me out of the cafeteria to where Kei was waiting for him.

"Finally." Kei exclaimed exasperatedly before noticing me. "Why is Hikaru with you though?"

"He wanted to talk to me... Can you do something with the others while I talk to him? I'll meet you in class, okay?" Kohei asked Kei. The other could only nod before walking off to find the others.

"Okay, now talk before the bell rings for us to go back to class."

"Fine... So... It happened a few years ago. You know that I left Japan for a while, right?" I nod at his question. "So, I came back sooner than expected and..."

Flashback, 5 Years Ago, Kohei's POV

Finally, after three long years, I'm back in Japan I thought to myself as I left the house to go and find Kei. He'll be happy to see me. He was so upset when I told him that my parents got transferred over because of their jobs. I went to the park that we usually hung out at with Yuya, Daiki, Hikaru, Keito, Ryosuke, Yuto, and Yuri. As expected, I saw Kei sitting there with Hikaru. I guessed that the others were too busy to come. Shrugging it off, I was going to walk over to them, but an unknown boy came up to them, making me stop in my tracks. "There you are." Kei exclaimed with happiness. Lucky for me that I was close enough to hear this conversation.

"Yeah, sorry I'm late, Kei." The unknown boy apologizes, looking at Hikaru. "Who is this?"

"Ah, right." Kei smiles. "Kota, this is my cousin, Yaotome Hikaru. Hikaru, this is my best friend, Yabu Kota." Best friend? Since when?

"Nice to meet you, Kota." Hikaru smiles.

"Nice to meet you too, Hikaru." The boy who was named Kota smiles back at Hikaru.

"Kei... I thought Kohei was your best friend..." Hikaru then points out.

"Well, yeah. But, I can hardly talk to him these days... He still would be if I could talk to him." Kei explains, making my blood boil with anger. Before I could hear anything else, I walk away angrily. You will pay for this, Yabu Kota I think to myself.

~ ~ ~

I end up at a cafe that my cousin, Nami works at. She hands me a strawberry smoothie and sits across from me. "Cheer up, would you?"

"I can't. I hate that guy for taking Kei away." I growl.

"If you want, I'll help you out."

"Would you really?"

"Of course. You're my cousin, so of course I would."

~ ~ ~

I watched as Nami approached Kei. Good thing that he didn't know her to be my cousin or else everything would have gone wrong. She bumps into Kei as she's walking and purposely drops her things. "I'm so sorry..." She apologizes, picking her stuff up.

"It's alright." Kei assures. "Here, let me help you." He helps her and then stands up. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." Nami smiles sweetly. She's smiling the smile that most guys would fall for instantly and just like most of the guys, Kei fell for it. I could see it in his eyes. "Um... Actually... I should be asking if you're okay."

"I'm fine, it's just... You're so pretty, I just noticed."

"Oh, well, thank you." Her smile widens. "If you think I'm pretty now, you should see me in my work clothes. You see, I work at a cafe, so I have to be dressed as a waitress."

"I would love to see that." Kei responds, making Nami smile and write something down.

"Here's the name of the place. I hope to see you there." With that said, Nami leaves, looking my way to silently tell me to follow her. I do as she says and we end up at the park.

"Now what?" I ask.

"Just wait... We'll get them split up soon. I promise you that."


A/N: I'll end it there~ The next chapter will continue on from where this one left off. It will start out in Kohei's POV since it left off on his POV anyway. Then, all your questions will be answered, so look forward to it.