Naming Cookies

The Wacky Cafe

Warning : Bad words.


“Is there an insult rhymed with Baekhyun?”

Kyungsoo asks one day as he stares at his over-spreaded, shattered cookies. They look so ugly so Kyungsoo blames it on Baekhyun.  Baekhyun had nothing to do with it though (yes, believe it or not), it’s just that Kyungsoo likes to think that anything ugly and evil could be blamed on Baekhyun. Most of the world’s evil could also be blamed on Baekhyun, including human trafficking, global warming, and acnes.

Hayoung meticulously arranging a plate of cheesecake on a tray as she asks, “Is it urgent?”

“I want to name the cookies with it.”

Hayoung giggles softly as she folds two sheets of tissue and put it on the side of the tray and rests a fork on top of them, “You’re going to put those on display?” She asks, puckering her brows at the clearly unappealing cookies. Business-wise, those are defects and should be rejected right away.

“Eunji insisted I should. Some icing should be good. What do you think?” Kyungsoo stares anxiously at the youngest, who already lifted her tray, ready to leave the kitchen.

“Great. And you can, maybe piled some into a small plastic bag and tie it with a ribbon. That would be cute and girls would love to buy them for their boyfriends.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah, I mean, they are heart-shaped.”

“They are pandas actually.” Kyungsoo corrects.

Hayoung almost dropped her tray, “Pardon?”

“They are pandas. I used panda-shaped cookie cutter.” Kyungsoo justifies as he shows Hayoung the said cookied cutter. It’s panda’s head shape, a big round head with small two ears. Hayoung stares at Kyungsoo’s cookies, they are round, yes, but the supposedly ears had apparently spreading, forming two combined curves.

It takes a few seconds for her to arrange her face into what she hopes is a neutral expression, “Oh. Okay. Well, do whatever you want, I’m sure the customers would love it…somehow.” She shrugs a shoulder and turns around immediately to leave the kitchen.

Kyungsoo sighs. “Seriously, what is it the insult that rhymed with Baekhyun?”

 

♦♦

 

 “?” Jongdae suggests but his face doesn’t seem too convinced with his own answer.

“He is a but they do not perfectly rhymed.” Kyungsoo says as he pipes the outline of the icing on one of the cookie.

Chanyeol taps his chin, wrecking his brain to help, and suddenly he snaps his fingers, “Aha! Balloon! What about balloon? Balloon Baekhyun. Baekhyun Balloon. They rhymed!”

Kyungsoo straighten his posture, slowly swivels to look at Chanyeol, “How on earth is balloon an insult?”

Jongdae scoffs at the dejected Chanyeol who already went back to thinking, “I know you think you’re helping, Yeol-ah, but shut up.”

Eunji walks in at that time with a pile of used trays and lands them lightly on the kitchen counter. “Are they dry already?” She asks Kyungsoo, pointing on the cookies.

“Yep, I guess.. except for the newly piped. But don’t touch them yet, I’m going to put in flood icing. They are still ugly.”

Jongdae got an idea so he pats Kyungsoo’s arm, “You know, we can just name it Uglyhyuny. Or, commercialized it a bit like…maybe GleeBaekkie..”

“You guys still seriously thinking about such an unimportant matter?” Eunji wryly asks, looking at the three boys like they are so dumb. Understandable, though.

“I can’t move on with my life if I couldn’t get the perfect answer for this matter, Eunji.” Chanyeol starts to pace around the kitchen. He really think he’s helping here, bless his soul.

Eunji rests her hands on her hips, “Why does it has to rhyme though?” Finally someone with sense asks.

Jongdae turns to Eunji and then to Kyungsoo, like it was just came to his sense that he had wasted almost twenty minutes for something that has no benefit to him at all.

“Well, I don’t know okay. I was just trying to be creative.” Kyungsoo defends himself, eyes almost bugged out of his head.

Eunji groans and dash out of the kitchen before all her ‘dude, please’ energies are being wasted. Jongdae just shooks his head and walks to the refrigerator to get a carton of milk, probably thinking he could re-install his intellect by ingesting the calcium.

Chanyeol - not sure if he’s dumb or he’s too kind and persistent to help Kyungsoo - has his eyes tightly shut, his wrist circling as if to beckon the word to come to him. “What is that thing.. that thing with.. pointy y pink ..” he snaps his fingers faster and gives a firm last snap as his eyes twinkles, “Baboon! Baboon Baekhyun!”

Jongdae cautiously wipes the milk stains off the sides of his mouth as he nods (intellect installment failed apparently), “That sounds good.”

Chanyeol beams and nods to Kyungsoo to lure his approval. Kyungsoo smiles. “Thank you, Chanyeol. That was such a great name for cookies. I’m sure the customers would not turn off by it.”

“Asa! I’m the best!” Chanyeol leaps on his feet as he turn to Jongdae for multiple high-five.

Kyungsoo keeps his smiling curve on his face when Jongdae and Chanyeol make their way out, still chirping on their excitement. As they are out of his sight, Kyungsoo takes out a price label card and a marker.

He bites the cap off the marker as he scribbles on the tag. Smirking, he slides the card into its holder and places it in the nesting basket before resuming to take care of his cookies.

 

♦♦

 

Baekhyun wraps the cookies gently into a plastic bag and hands them nicely to a customer.

“Thank you, please come again soon!” He gives his puppy smile to the customer and waves. His eyes following them fondly as the kid impatiently asks his mother for the cookies. “Woah..who knows Dummy Yeollie would be such a hit today.”

 


 

a/n : This was not in my draft actually so sorry for the mess. I just write it on the spot today because I realized that interactions and appearances in the chapters on queue are a bit...unfair. I want to make sure that those who did not appeared on previous chapter should appear on the next. So everyone will get their own "screentime".

So.....is there an insult that rhymed with your name? hahaha.

Mine is very very very offensive. If you are a Malaysian, you probably know.

Thanks for reading!^^