Two

The Other Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

TWO

18 years old

 

 

“Why you have to be so stubborn?” Mom dumps my clothes on the bed. “We have good university in this town. Your dad works here. Your sister goes to school here. Why you want to go to the different university is beyond me.”

That’s mom when she’s with me. I’ve get used to her constant nagging and disapproval since I was ten. “Because I want to be a pastry chef mom. That’s why I should go to culinary school.” I like to cook, that’s an understatement. It’s my passion, the only thing that I can do right. I’ve been having a part-time job on a bakery nearby since last year.

Mom stops short from throwing another armful of my clothes. “You can still majoring in business and taking the part-time job. Making cookies doesn’t require higher education. That’s a waste of time and money.”

Ouch. That hurts. I’d rather she punches me in the face rather than telling me that I will use her money for nothing, well actually it’s Dad’s money. But Dad has told me to go for it if it’s what I want. Between Dad and Mom, of course I’d always follow Dad’s advice.

“Drop it and apply here. I’m sure they will still accept you.” She throws the clothes on a pile in the bed.

I sigh, praying for patience. “I won’t use Dad like that Mom. Besides, it’s only for two years.”

“And then what? You will go back to work on that small bakery?” She seethes disdainfully.

“I don’t know yet. I haven’t making plan that far.” I have actually, but I won’t tell her.

“Come on Yuri, be rational. If you go to school here, Yunho can protect you.”

I give my back to Mom as I pretend to collect my toiletries. I will leave tomorrow morning. Even though my new school is only four hours away from home, it feels like thousand miles away.

Ignoring me, Mom continues her rant. “Beside, it’s only you who can calm Yunho down if they had a fight. Who would help your sister then?”

Ever since Yunho dating my sister, they have been on and off in relationship. When they were fighting, it was like tornado had gone off, destroying everything in their wakes. They didn’t bother to hide it in their sharing apartment for themselves. They often brought their fight in this house that it made me numb with unnamed emotion. I’m sick of it.

I’ve mend my relationship with Yunho, sharing and talking and everything. It’s alright and we are fine. But it’s getting old and they are like toddlers who don’t know what to do with each other. “Mom, they are adults. They should learn to solve their own problems.”

“But Yunho only listen to you.” She insists.

It’s a low blow to use Yunho at a time like this. But I’ve made up my mind and there’s nothing they could do to trap me here anymore. I want to be free, not stuck in the past and unable to move on, withering slowly till I disappear.

“He listens to Ara too. And stop using him to get to me.” Finally she shuts with a huff.

I glance at the clock on the wall. Yunho must be in the gym, working his off for his next game while my sister goes to mall in town with her Barbie stereotype friends, nagging and ranting about her errant boyfriend. Boxing is the main source of their endless fighting, well among many other things. Ara has been so clear that she wants Yunho to quit, threatening him with it occasionally that she will leave him if he doesn’t. Yet she still attaches herself to him because we all know, Yunho is her trophy boyfriend.

The only thing that I would never understand is why Yunhostill accept her with open arms every time she comes back.

“Mom, I’d finish it later. I should go somewhere.”Mom already knows where I’d go.

Fifteen minutes later I pull up my Honda in front of old building nearby campus. It’s a gym where Yunho training with many other boxers. With Tupperwares full of cookies, I go inside. The receptionist gives me small nod as I walk by.

“Yunho! Your girl is here!” Someone shouts in the air.

“Hey guys.” I wave at bunch of men in the corner who watch me and box in my arms with rapid interest. Not knowing where I’m walking, I blunder against a hard wall of sweating chest. My forehead stings in protest.

“What are you doing here?” Yunho asks harshly. “You didn’t tell me you would come.”

“I’m always welcomed here.” I look at him innocently, having fun of riling him up. “Beside, I can always bribe people here if they won’t let me in.”

Yunho’s jaw ticking as he grinds his teeth. He snatches my arm and pulls me to the corner. “Hey!” I protest because it surprises me. Yunho pins me to the wall with his body, blocking the entire gym from my view before leaning his face down, very very close to mine that his harsh breath caressing my lips. Sweat begins to forming in my forehead.

“You don’t come here anytime you want.” He says through clenched teeth. “You come here with me, after you ask for my permission and you will always stick close to me when you’re here. You understand that?”

Jeez. No matter how angry he seems, Yunho will never hurt me. “Look at you.” I poke at his sweaty chest. “Coach gave you hard time, wasn’t he?”

He grabs my wandering finger in his hand. “Promise me.”

“Jesus Yunho.” I roll my eyes, pretending to be not intimidated by his intense stare. “Alright, alright.Fine. Not that I will have a much time to visit in the future. I should leave tomorrow, remember?”

Suddenly, his face blanches. “Aren’t you supposed to leave in two weeks?”

I shift in my feet guiltily. “I haven’t found apartment yet. That’s why I leave early.”

He retreat few steps back from me as if I’ve burned him. His eyes wild, panic as they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter