One

The Other Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

One

16 years old

 

 

If there’s one thing I’d hate forever even until I was in my grave is finishing my homework. It really to spend your afternoon hovering over books and trying to solve problems you don’t even understand. Not that I’m stupid. I just happen to be born as an average-brainer schoolgirl. So, here I am thirty minutes fiddling with my math book and it looks like I won’t be getting finish anytime soon.

Frustrated, I slam the pencil on the table and stand up to get a can of soda in the refrigerator. As usual in my home, afternoon will be so quiet as it’s time for me and my sister, Ara, to do our homework, at least that’s what Mom says. While I am sulking and grumbling in the kitchen, my sister is peacefully working in her room.

“Hey,”

I spit the soda on the kitchen table, nearly hitting my math book. What the hell? My eyes flicker to the door and I freeze even when soda dribble down from my chin to my neck and wetting the collar of my t-shirt. There, standing amusedly, is a man, or a boy for that matter I’m not particularly sure, in sweats and a hoodie.

He smiles while gesturing with his thumb on his chin. “There. . . you have. . .”

I quickly give him my back as I snatch napkin cloth on the kitchen counter and proceed to clean my face and gather my wits. Alright, now what’s my opening line? I peek at him over my shoulder. The man/boy has his head titled to the side as he studying me. Now I’m mortified. My choice of wardrobe hasn’t change even when my body has started to develop. I’m still t-shirt and worn-out jeans kind of girl.

“Are you here looking for my dad?” I snap, hating myself for thinking that this guy is checking me out.

“Yes. Is he home?”

I turn fully before resting my back on the kitchen counter and cross my arms over my late-blooming chest. “No, but he will be back soon. You want to wait?”

He shrugs and to my surprise, he casually pulls out a chair beside mine on the table and sits down like I just invite him to.

“Oookaaay.” I drawl. Even when irritation grows, hospitality wins. “You want a drink?”

“Sure.”

Even though I’m sure he’s old enough to drink beer, I don’t want to get scolded by dad. “Soda or water?”

“Soda is fine. Look, I’m sorry for earlier. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

I settle on my chair beside him and put his soda can in front of him. Suddenly, it seems a very bad idea to sit this close to him. I can smell his cologne and laundry detergent and his natural manly, not to mention slightly sweaty, scent. Great! Now I’m sniffing him like a dog.

“Nah it’s fine. I just happen to startle easily.” I gather my composure as calmly as possible even when my heart drumming against my chest. “So, I didn’t hear you’re coming. Who are you?” Actually I can tell who he is. With my father as the head soccer coach in the university, he must be one of his players. The corners of his lips tip up. He knows that I know who he is. Two years after moving in new town near the university after Dad got the job, I never saw him before. He must be new.

“Should we introduce ourselves?” He suggests happily.

I scowl at him. “You know who I am.”

“And you know who I am.” He shoots back.

I scowl once more at him before look away.

“I’m Yunho.Junior this year at the university.”

Even though surprised, I don’t turn to look at him. “Yuri.” I say as I pull my book closer.

“Homework?” He asks.

“Isn’t that obvious?”

He chuckles. “Whoa kid. No need for sarcasm.”

“Well unfortunately that’s what I’m really good at.”

Then guilty slaps me in the face when he doesn’t speak anymore. Stubbornly I focus on my math book even when my head miles away. He’s still sitting beside me with one of his hand holding the soda can. I feel awkward, guilty and ashamed. Beyond frustrated, I close the book and lean back on my chair with a sigh.

“Problem?”

“Yeah. Everything with number is problem for me.” I grimace after my mouth stupidly admitting my weakness.

“Come on, it can’t be that bad.” He nudges my shoulder gently. “Open the book. Let see how bad you are.”

I look up at him, because really, even while sitting down he’s a head taller than me. This guy is big. He looks at me with no smile, no expression, nothing at all. “Do you mean you’ll help me?”

“Is that so hard to believe?”

Controlling expression on my face is like training wild horse. It’s impossible. “Fine. Let’s give you a shot.”

Twenty minutes later, all my homework is done. I’m in between awe and disbelief as I gather the books on the table. “Wow. You’re a genius.”

He smiles wryly at me. “I’m flattered.”

I narrow my eyes at him. “What others thing you’re good at?”

He shrugs. “Here and there. But I think I’m good at boxing.”

“Boxing? As in fighting?” He looks at me solemnly and patiently.  “You’re only saying that to scare me, aren’t you?” I look down on his body and stupidly realize that he’s not kidding. “So you’re a boxer?” I can’t keep my mouth shut from asking stupid things.

“So I’ve heard.” He says wryly.

“You’ve been a boxer for a long time?”

“Since I was ten.”

My mouth opens and closes as the words leave my brain. My sister chooses the moment to make her appearance. The attack of her perfume in the air is enough to kill an elephant. My head is dizzy as I stand up.

“What the hell Yuri?!I’m working upstairs! Mind your voice please!”

Ara has a sweet, feminine voice. But I feel like every time she speaks to me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter