Five

The Other Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

FIVE

22 years old

 

 

I’m a good actress. Yesterday, I managed to hold back my tears as I drove my sister to pick up her wedding dress, doing the fitting, and even taking pictures together with me in my bridesmaid dress. I even posted it in my Instagram. What a wonderful day. But I feel awful, awfully sad, awfully mad and yet awfully happy for my sister. I can’t believe the day will come where I should burry the pieces of my broken heart.

When the day comes, God should give me a good reward for being such an amazing sister.

“Yuri, sweetie, hurry up! The car is here.”

Mom must be in such ecstatic mood for she’s calling me with nickname. She usually only does that to my sister. I slip into my brown leather jacket as I run downstairs. My boots thump loudly against the marble floor.

“Good, how many times should I tell you to walk Yuri? Walk. Like a lady.” Mom rubs her temple like I just give her the worst headache in history of world.

“You asked me to hurry up.” I protest. It’s been my role to drive Mom crazy. I watch with satisfaction when she closes her eyes and taking several deep breathes. When her eyes are opened, they are clear of any emotion. Wow, the woman is good. She grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the house without a word.

Today’s plan is family spa. By all means, I hate my body being touched by stranger, professionals or not. I’ve done my best to avoid this but Mom wouldn’t stop nagging at me. Ergo, here I am, in the car with Mom, on our way to beauty salon. Ara is there already. She just finishes doing bridal shopping with Yunho. I wish as hell I can avoid the man this time.

“Mom, can I skip the spa? I’ll just wait while reading some fashion magazine. I promise, by the time you guys finish, my brain will be as fashioned as it can be.”

Mom gives me her trademark scowl. “You promised.”

“I never breathed a word yes to you. It’s all on you. You assumed that I will join you guys and you dragged me even after I said no.”

“Sometimes I can’t read your silence. Besides, this is for your sister.”

“Why the hell it has to do with Ara when it’s my body getting rubbed all over?” Our family driver snorts behind the wheel before quickly masks it with a cough. He gets Mom’s suspicious eyes briefly.

“Because she wants you to look good on her wedding day. You will not embarrass your sister, will you?”

“Believeme, she doesn’t want me to look good on her wedding day. She wants to be the center of the attention.” I smile wryly.

Mom sighs loudly, as if talking to me has taken all of her energy. “Will you just stop questioning everything and just do as you’re told? It’s getting old Yuri. Ara will do the same for you if your time comes.”

Now I feel annoyed. Ara will gladly join the spa because her favorite thing to do is beautified herself. Pure and simple.“But it doesn’t make sense.”

“For once, stop overthinking.” Mom snaps, her patience obviously getting thin. “Do it for sisterhood.”

I roll my eyes. I’m taking absence for two weeks from work because the two ladies in my family have threatened me to call my boss. I rarely took a day off so my boss was good with me leaving. Two weeks for preparation and it’s not even my wedding! Such an outrageous idea! And Mom has paid people to take care of everything. No matter how annoyed I am, I do my best to please them.

And so far, I don’t have to face Yunho since he lives in his own bachelor apartment which soon has to be retired after he is married. Another year without talking to each other and the last conversation I had with him is my last straw. My brain finally takes notice that I must simply avoid the man. Friendship be damned. It can go to hell for all I care.

The car pulls to a stop in front of big luxurious building. I groan inwardly, shrinking at the thought of people’s hands touching my body.

Mom bends down so she can see me inside the car. “Get out of the car Yuri. Don’t test my patience.”

“Alright.Alright.”No one can believe that I am Mom’s daughter. We’re like two different worlds. One is as free as freedom can offer while the other one lives on strict rules. Other than that, I got my look mostly from Dad.

“Oh there’s your sister.” Mom points at wall glass where I can see my sister inside sitting with. . . “And Yunho.” She adds. “Aren’t they sweet?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter