005 (Part B)

Crooked Heart

Chapter V (Part B).

---

When warmth began to slide across her eyelids, she shuffled deeper beneath the blankets to avoid it. She could still feel light dance across her face, and it made Krystal stir from slumber.

She released a soft groan, her lips feeling chapped and feeling horribly dry as she stretched. Her arms raised as she kicked out her legs, letting out another groan.

Krystal paused as soon as she realized she wasn't in her own room.

...I'm still at Tiffany's,

Krystal made sure to tone down her voice as she slipped out quietly from the warm blankets.

She didn't know why she suddenly felt apprehensive — excited, even — as she made her way to the door. It was as if she was looking for some sort of treasure chest and she knew that beyond the bedroom door was the end of a rainbow.

Quietly, she peeked through the little slit of the door to see nothing out of the ordinary. Krystal could see Tiffany's stilled form on the couch just across from her, the woman's back facing her. Somehow feeling a little giddy (to find the older woman still fast asleep), Krystal silently motioned through the hallway, softy shutting the door behind her.

She tip-toed her way to the living room, making sure to keep hush as she shortened the distance between herself and Tiffany's quiet form.

Krystal wasn't sure if it was a good thing to feel excited about being awake first. Was it because it resembled some sort of preemptive strike on a battlefield? Or was it because it was like 'first come, first serve'? Either way, it was childish and she knew that, but it still didn't stop Krystal from wanting to look over the woman's shoulder.

Looming over, she peeked to see Tiffany's relaxed expression, the older woman's left cheek cradled beneath her left arm. Krystal watched with slight astonishment as the older woman breathed, her lips slightly parted. Tiffany's blanket lay just over her waist, successfully covering her legs, and it itched Krystal to lift it up so it'd keep the older woman warm.

Reaching out, she lightly grasped the blanket and was about to slide it up when Tiffany shifted, turning around so she'd face the ceiling. Krystal held in a breath, fingers rigidly holding onto the cotton material of the blanket as she stared with apprehension at Tiffany's sleeping face.

If Tiffany awoke at that moment, the first thing the older woman would see was her face looming over her. Krystal wondered how the older woman would react if the first thing she'd see was her face. She'd probably punch her.

Her limbs functioned again after a few moments, feeling sure that Tiffany was still fast asleep as she slid the blanket just beneath the older woman's chin.

Krystal released a breath as soon as she was far enough away from Tiffany so as to not wake her. Automatically, her feet led her to the kitchen, her eyes instantly wandering to the fridge.

Krystal realized then, as she pulled out a few ingredients from the refrigerator, that she had been smiling more often.

She could get used to that.

---

Reluctantly, Jessica slowly made her way down the stairs, hugging herself. Her fingers clutched tightly against her silk robe, the smooth material flitting between the spaces as she motioned towards the kitchen.

She could hear glass clank in the air as she walked closer. Jessica made sure to steady herself, controlling her breaths, before she entered the kitchen, her mother and father sitting idly at the large dining table.

Her father was busy holding a newspaper in his hands, occasionally taking a sip of his coffee as he read. Her mother was on her laptop, busily typing away on the keyboards.

Jessica stiffly made her way around the kitchen island, pouring herself a drink as her mother's voice resounded in the air.

"How are you feeling?"

Jessica didn't miss her father's quirked brow as she settled herself between her parents on the dining table; her mother on her left, and her father on her right. She took her time as she lifted her cup to her lips, feeling the warm liquid seep down as she formulated a response in her head. Her mother merely waited patiently as she continued to type away, seemingly unaffected by the delay in response.

Jessica swallowed before settling her cup back on the table gently, discreetly eyeing her mother from the corner of her eyes as she spoke.

"The same as yesterday," her mother remained impassive as Jessica continued on, "cold."

Jessica wanted to see if her mother would react in any way, somehow show her how she had behaved like yesterday, as she eyed her carefully at the dining table. But she was disappointed to find nothing as her mother continued to type away, her father answering in her stead.

"Then wear something other than that tiny robe," he stated gruffly, his tone low as Jessica returned his icy gaze.

He merely lifted his cup to his lips and took another sip before returning to the newspaper.

Jessica remained rigidly upright in her seat as she took tiny bits of her toast. It unnerved her how everything seemed to go along so naturally as if it was like any other day. Did they not realize that Krystal was still missing?

"She will come crawling back home soon, Sooyeon." Jessica lifted her gaze abruptly to meet her mother's, "there's no need to feel worried, if that's how you're truly feeling."

Jessica refrained herself from wearing her emotions on her sleeve, feigning ignorance as she took another sip of her coffee. She could feel her mother's stern gaze remain still on her face, and she readied herself before returning her heated gaze.

"You should feel worried," Jessica replied rigidly. "I shouldn't be the only one feeling this way."

"But you are," her mother responded almost instantly.

Almost mechanically, she stood from her seat, her chair shattering the tense air with a sharp creak as she headed out of the kitchen. Jessica didn't bother turning around even when her father called her back, quoting what he read.

"'Damsel in distress, Jessica Jung, spotted in a heated embrace with a faceless, female stranger.'" His voice was sharp, and it made Jessica pause in her motion. "'With no shoes and a torn dress, could it be possible that the heiress of Jung Corporation is wild enough to even attempt to havelesbian  on the streets?'"

The amount of disappointment dripping from her father's stern tone was immeasurable. Each syllable was like a knife twisting and digging deeper and closer to her delicate heart. Jessica didn't dare turn around to face him as he continued.

"'As the growing new head of Jung Corporation, can the people really put their time and effort into a business with a leader like her?' — "

" — They are baseless and you know that,"

Her hands continued to clench and unclench, words having left through her gritted teeth. Jessica could feel the hairs on her neck stand from the tension that spiked from his throat.

Her father's incredulous scoff rang loud in the silent room, the only other sound being the continued clacks of her mother's keyboard.

"Whether it's true or false, people don't actually care, do they?" Jessica squeezed her eyes shut as her fists began to shake, angry. "I warned you, Sooyeon."

But Jessica cleared his voice out of her head because he wasn't her concern. She knew what the truth was, and so did he. That was all that mattered to her.

Jessica was just too busy clenching her jaw because her mother never stopped working, the clacks of her keyboard enveloping the air.

---

Krystal made sure to keep the noise to a minimum as she shut off the stove, breakfast ready.

She carefully settled the plates on the table before taking a seat where she could see Tiffany still lying comfortably on the sofa. Krystal liked how the kitchen and living room were connected, leaving an open space and window of opportunity to watch over everything (not that she was trying to be a creep or anything).

She just couldn't help but look over the house again, still not liking how empty it was.

When a low groan reached Krystal's sensitive ears, she instinctively jolted, her hands beneath the table automatically rising to hit the wooden table in the process. Krystal yelped before clamping with her hands, fingers tingling as she watched the older woman stretch on the couch.

Krystal began to chuckle lightly behind her hands as she watched Tiffany stretch, resembling a cat. She kept her voice low though, so as to not startle the woman (even though Tiffany startled her). But she didn't last long when Tiffany tilted her head back to find her struggling with laughter in the kitchen.

Krystal watched behind half-closed eyes as Tiffany stared at her with surprise.

"K - Krystal?"

Her chest pounded in response, stomach suddenly feeling tingly. Krystal immediately paused in her laughter as she tried to decipher the fluttering in her heart. It made her face burn and it didn't help when she tried to cover it up with her hands, making it even more obvious.

She turned redder when Tiffany sat up from her couch, her arms over her head as she sent her a tired smile, lips lopsided. Even with bed hair and having just woken up, Tiffany still managed to make her feel nervous.

Krystal tried to steady her beating heart as she coughed into her hand, trying to redeem herself.

"I - er...I made breakfast?"

Tiffany had merely sent her a light laugh, clearly amused as she stood to motion towards the kitchen as she combed a hand through her dark hair. Krystal could only swallow a sudden ball in as the older woman continued to send her a gentle smile.

"Oh - uh," Krystal watched Tiffany settle herself in the chair across from her, a nervous chuckle escaping her lips. "Thanks..." a nervous grin, "...again. For the food, I mean."

Krystal allowed a laugh to rise from , loving how Tiffany looked so embarrassed as the older woman scratched her head. She really wasn't used to such service. Krystal merely shook her head, amused as she took a bite of her food.

"You're welcome," she mumbled, lowering her gaze so she wouldn't see Tiffany's crescent eyes.

"I never told you yesterday, but it's amazing," Krystal lifted her eyes to only avoid Tiffany's smiling pair again as the older woman chuckled. "Your cooking,"

Krystal flushed a deep scarlet, which she hoped was hidden behind her locks of dark hair as Tiffany chewed thoughtfully. When she heard the older woman swallow, Krystal was inwardly overjoyed to hear what the woman was proud to say.

Krystal could only sink deeper into her chair as her cheeks flared from the overwhelming attention Tiffany was giving her as the older woman leaned forward.

"And you."

Krystal was left sputtering broken 'thank you's through chapped lips (although they came out as stuttered syllables instead), as her eyes flickered back and forth between her dish and Tiffany. She was unable to form anything coherent as the older woman laughed that signature gentle, rasp, tone.

---

Krystal watched with curiosity as Tiffany reached into her black duffel bag.

She didn't try to hide it either as she probed, slightly peering over the older woman's left shoulder.

"What are you doing?"

When Tiffany lifted her hand to reveal a camera, Krystal wasn't sure what to say when the older woman spun around to send her a lopsided smile. Tiffany made her nervous all over again as she asked, surprisingly sounding shy.

"Could I..?"

Had it been any other person, Krystal would have shooed them away with a hard jab to the face, tell them how much of a creeper they were, and kick them out of her life, but it was Tiffany; she wasn't any other person.

Her sister would know all too well (hell, even her parents) about her shyness in front of a camera. She always avoided family pictures during parties whenever she could.
Krystal fidgeted with the collar of her shirt — Tiffany's dress shirt — as she mustered up the courage to pull through.

"I - I don't..." she coughed, throat dry.

Despite the nervousness bubbling up inside her stomach, Krystal didn't dare to look away when Tiffany lifted her camera to her eye. Krystal shifted from where she stood, but she steadied her eyes on the lens that motioned to focus on her.
Where the sudden courage to look at the camera came from, Krystal didn't know, but she was glad that it was for Tiffany as the corners of her lips began to curl upwards.

Click.

Krystal shied away when Tiffany had on a silly curve on her lips, as if she had just raked in such a fine work of art. Her heart fluttered and her mind felt light at the sight behind strands of dark hair as she avoided Tiffany's steady gaze.

"Cute,"

Krystal merely kept mum before the older woman settled beside her on the couch. She could feel warmth emit from her form next to her as she tried to keep her eyes fixed on the television.

She felt Tiffany nudge her shoulder as the older woman spoke.

"You're a part of my life now, right?" She asked, husky tone so tender it made Krystal crane her neck to face her even though she was aware of how little the space was between them.

Krystal tried to see what else was beneath Tiffany's dark pools. She had analyzed her facial features, her expressions, the way her brows creased, or how her lips curved, but there was just so much to read. Krystal was just glad she had enough self-control to keep her gaze from lingering on Tiffany's lips as she returned her line of vision back to her eyes.

"Yeah," she said, a small smile gracing her lips. "I am."

A hushed whisper. "Will you stay that way?"

Krystal didn't know why, but the tugging returned in her chest, and she impulsively scooted closer to rest her head against Tiffany's shoulder, even surprising the older woman from the sudden jolt she felt.

Their close proximity made the weird feeling go away.

Krystal shut her eyes as she hummed, feeling content.

"Mhm.."

Tiffany's chuckle rang in her eardrums, but they weren't the annoying buzzing kind as Krystal shifted for a more comfortable position, feeling Tiffany's hair tickle her cheeks.

"Good," the older woman returned her gaze back to the television screen to flip through the various channels, "because I feel sad whenever I realize the fact that I have more pictures facing down than there are facing up."

Krystal cracked an eye open to peer up at Tiffany's side profile, the older woman's jaw clearly outlined from where she sat. She could see the tense muscles that were laced beneath Tiffany's skin, hugging against her neck, and Krystal could feel affection well up inside her.

She rubbed her cheek against Tiffany's shoulder, shutting her eyes as she tentatively looped her arm around Tiffany's to grasp her hand that rested on the older woman's thigh.

Krystal didn't know how to explain her change in behaviour, except that she wished she had more of this for home, as she fiddled with Tiffany's fingers on her lap, running her digits over the older woman's soft, but callused, skin.

She felt Tiffany shift beside her.

Krystal breathed through chapped lips.

"I'll be the one you won't ever have to put down,"

Tiffany's fingers curled over Krystal's; a 'thank you'.

They sat through two movies together, the credits currently rolling. But it was half-way through the first that they had both fallen asleep, Tiffany's head resting softly against Krystal's.

---

Tightening the knot of her robe, she craned her neck so her brown hair fell over one shoulder. Casually, she combed her towel through the strands as she motioned towards her mirror.

Jessica pursed her lips when someone knocked on her door.

"Sooyeon, do you have a minute?" It was her mother.

She responded with a light hum as she continued to stare at her own reflection. Jessica could see her mother shut the door behind her as she crossed her arms.

"We are expected at the Choi's dinner party tomorrow night at eight,"

Jessica almost dropped her towel as she eyed her mother through the mirror. She lowered her hands as she returned her steady gaze.

"For what?"

"Business matters," she replied curtly. "Things you're required to know as an heiress."

And Jessica didn't need her mother to tell her the rest that she was expected to be there. Releasing a sigh through gritted teeth, she continued tending to her hair, not missing the way her mother furrowed her brows. Indignant.

"I'm not going—"

"Sooyeon—"

"—Until Krystal comes home," she finished, adamant. "I'm not going anywhere until I know she's safe."

She saw the way her mother's brows crinkled deeper, her eyes visibly narrowing as a scoff escaped her lips. Her mother spun on her heel, gripping the doorknob as she rigidly spoke over her shoulder.

"Don't expect any more leniency from me,"

Jessica scoffed out loud, unable to hold in her frustration anymore as she dropped her hands.

"Don't you care?"

She wanted to know whether her mother felt anything when her father recited the newspaper article that morning. She wanted to know if it was just Krystal her mother didn't care about.

"Didn't you care? Just last night," she spun around, frustration acting as her drive as Jessica scrutinized her mother's back. "Just last night, you cared. You cared about me," she raised her hands, as if begging her mother to turn around to look at her. "Why can't you show me — show Krystal— that side of you? Why can't you just be like every other mom out there?"

Because last night wasn't sugar coated, embellished just to stay on her good side. It was real, and Jessica hated how her mother continued to keep it in.
Jessica hadn't realized she was already clutching onto her mother's back until her fingers curled against the smooth fabric of her mother's jacket. She rested her forehead against her mother's rigid form as she squeezed her eyes shut to quell the tears that were welling up. Jessica didn't miss how her mother flinched under her hold.

"...Why can't you just be mom..?"

Jessica wanted comfort, something warm to hold onto, something cozy, and safe, because she didn't feel any of that at all. She pretended like she didn't care about the newspaper article, but she did, and to think she was disappointing her parents—

"—And just like every other mom out there, I know what's best for you."

Her fingers were forced open as her mother motioned away, the woman not bothering to even look back as she reached for the doorknob. Jessica had no response.

When her door closed, Jessica slumped onto her bed, face in her hands. Only torn silence enveloped her room as she sat, disgruntled. Jessica could only wipe the tears that didn't get to fall as she reached out for her phone on the night stand. She cleared away her blurry vision to still see no replies from her little sister.

Where are you?

Frustrated, she dialled her number, impatiently waiting for the ring to subside as she fiddled with a strand of her wet hair. She wanted warmth, and Krystal was the only one (other than...Tiffany...) who gave her that. She clucked her tongue in disapproval when she was sent straight to voice mail. Unsatisfied, she dialled again, getting annoyed before the line finally clicked and she heard her voice.

"U — Unnie?"

Jessica felt instantly relieved.

"Krys," she breathed, "do you know how worried I was?" She winced from the concern evidently dripping from her tone. "Where were you? I...I just—" Jessica was stuttering, and she hated that. "Just — when are you coming home..?"

A shuffle on the other line.

"Now," A giggle. Jessica shot up from her seat to hurry down the flight of stairs, ecstatic. "I'm already at the front door, actually."

She could hear a lot of static in the background, but the sounds were too broken for Jessica to clearly distinguish what they were.

She raced down the steps, uncaring about her unkempt attire (the knot on her robe was loosening), as soon as she saw Krystal's shadowed figured looming closer on the other side of the window.

Jessica cradled the phone against her shoulder as she twisted the locks on the door.

"Really? Here, let me just—"

And Jessica wasn't sure how to feel when she saw Tiffany at her doorstep, crescent eyes smiling at Krystal who was standing idly beside her, phone still against her ear.
Jessica didn't have enough time to close the door and hide when Tiffany's gaze finally steadied on her.

---

"Are you ready?"

Krystal watched the older woman put on her shoes as she lingered in the living room. Somehow, even if it was more of an accident that she got to Tiffany's house, all Krystal could really decipher was the disappointment running through her veins as she made her way towards Tiffany.

"Yeah,"

She couldn't refrain from looking over her shoulder, already missing the comfort of a small, normal home. Krystal had always tended to prefer smaller, cozier rooms over extravagant ones.

Krystal looked up, surprised when she felt Tiffany's hand ruffle her hair.

"Come visit sometime," she said, crescent eyes illuminating her already bright features. "You can even come grocery shopping with me for ingredients."

Krystal laughed as she paused on Tiffany's front steps to hear the older woman shut the door behind her.

When Tiffany ushered her into a car, Krystal clutched her clothes closer to herself as she settled on the passenger's seat, idly watching Tiffany motion in beside her.

"If you had a car," Krystal couldn't help but ask, "why do I always see you walking in the rain?"

Tiffany's laughter gently reverberated inside the small interior, amusement evident in her tone. She shifted the gear to drive and motioned out onto the streets before she replied with a soft chuckle.

"Because whenever I see you, it's always after work." She combed a hand through her hair as she waited for the light to turn green. "And work isn't that far from home,"
Krystal kept mum as she looked out the window, catching sight of the bus stop before they turned a corner.

"Do I just go straight?"

"Yeah, it's just down along this road,"

Krystal couldn't help but peer around the interior, trying to be discreet as Tiffany hummed a gentle tune beside her. Nothing was out of the ordinary, really. At least, nothing like her house.

"I met her yesterday," she craned her neck to see Tiffany still facing forward, "after a whole year."

Krystal furrowed her brows before she recognized the broken tone and wry smile painting Tiffany's lips. Those tended to associate with her ex-girlfriend.

"Before I found you, I found her." She said, pausing at another stop light. "Her dress was torn, and her feet were scabbed. She had no shoes and..."

She noted how Tiffany's voice trailed, but Krystal didn't know why she suddenly thought of Jessica. She wanted to ask Tiffany what she wore, what she looked like, and why she was out there, like that.

Because Jessica-unnie wore a dress, and if she was chasing after me, she wouldn't need her heels on...

She hoped it was merely just her over-analyzing everything, because she never heard her sister call out to her, if she did.

"Do you know why?" Krystal caught Tiffany's eyes flicker for a moment. "Why she was out in the rain?"

Tiffany's soft chuckle was all she heard amidst the car's quiet hum.

"I asked, but that wasn't..."

...That wasn't your priority, Krystal finished inwardly.

Of course not, how could it be anyway? It wouldn't even be the first thing that would plague her mind if she found her one and only right in front of her after having not seen them in a year. There would be more things Krystal would be concerned about rather than asking why her love was out and about.

Krystal turned away to look out the window again as she rested her chin on her palm. She could feel the tug in her chest again, as if it was some sort of signal. A sign of dread, as if deep down, she knew who it was.

And all Krystal could see was Jessica.

She swallowed audibly, trying to moisten because of the anxiety that was currently plaguing her mind. Krystal could feel the tremor in her lips as she spoke with a hushed whisper.

"...Do you still love her?"

The quiet hum of the car's engine was all Krystal could hear as she steadied her gaze through the window. She didn't want to turn around in fear of Tiffany's answer that would most likely be worn over her face.

But Krystal knew hearing it fall from her lips was inevitable anyway.

"I've always hated waiting," Tiffany began, and Krystal was tempted to look her way. "But she's someone worth waiting for."

Krystal didn't know why she felt bitter, but she knew it had something to do with the painful tugging that continued to yank on her heart. All Krystal heard was: Yes, I still do. And I think I'll always will.

---

"This is it," she said wryly, dismissing the quiet air as Tiffany shifted the car to park.

She merely gave her house a once over, staring at the large gates that loomed over them. Despite the open view of her house's large land, the water fountain, and the colourful flowers, they didn't give her any sense of a warm, cozy, welcome. Looking at how large everything was, Krystal preferred a smaller home to go to.

"This is your house..?"

Krystal could only crinkle her brows as Tiffany stared in awe. She had previously thought it was weird that Tiffany didn't know where she lived. Hadn't she been Jessica's friend before?

Then again, Jessica could have easily avoided bringing her over for visits, and it'd explain why Krystal had never met Tiffany.

Krystal gave her a smile before she reached to open the door, having almost lifted the handle before Tiffany's hand shot over to stop her. Krystal could feel herself flush with Tiffany's arm over her lap, the older woman's hand grasping hers.

"I'm not letting you walk all the way to your door step," Tiffany began, nodding her head towards the open space of her family's garden. "So let me properly drop you off there,"

Krystal released a breath as soon as Tiffany pulled away, the older woman changing gears before she motioned towards the front of the gates.

"But I've been doing that everyday as soon as I get off the bus stop..." Krystal tried to reason with the woman, because she really didn't want Tiffany to get any closer to her house. "And the bus stop is around the corner..."

She was trying to get Tiffany to see that she walked further than this, but it seemed to only fuel Tiffany more.

"Then let this be the first day — of many," and Krystal felt the burn in her cheeks, "where I get to drop you off at your doorstep."

---

Krystal wasn't sure whether it was a good thing that Tiffany was as close to her house as she currently was at the moment. Her parents weren't exactly welcoming, and for Jessica to see her...

"Wow..." Tiffany gaped at the sight before her, "what did you say your last name was?"

Krystal was startled as soon as she stepped out of the car, Tiffany walking up beside her. She began to fidget from where she stood, clutching her clothes against herself. What would her parents say if they found out she was wearing someone else's clothes?

Tugging the sleeves of her jacket — Tiffany's jacket — she her dry lips before she peered at Tiffany's probing eyes.

There was a reason why Krystal stuck to first names; she didn't want Tiffany to see her any differently.

"Krys?"

She jolted as soon as she felt the vibration in her pocket, Tiffany staring at her worriedly.

"Krystal?" Tiffany asked again.

Krystal was relieved of the distraction and sent an apologetic smile to Tiffany before she lifted her phone to her ear. She was thankful for the save, although she wasn't sure if it was really worth it anymore as she began to walk up the steps of her home.

"U — Unnie?"

"Krys," And hearing her sister's voice was just as soothing as Tiffany's, "do you know how worried I was?" She winced from the sudden boom in Jessica's voice, her tone reprimanding. "Where were you? I...I just—" Jessica's words stumbled and Krystal couldn't decipher what she was trying to say. "Just — when are you coming home..?"

Krystal laughed, realizing just how much she missed her sister as she took more steps up the stairs of their front porch. It looked like Jessica missed her just the same. She didn't expect her parents to, because they never really did care, anyway.

Krystal was thrilled as she spoke over the phone, Tiffany trailing behind her.

"Now," she deadpanned, pushing away a stray strand of hair from her eye, "I'm already at the front door, actually."

Various shuffling came soon after, and Krystal could decipher the excitement lacing her sister's voice, from the ecstatic yelp that came along in the background. She couldn't help but grin as Jessica panted through the phone, as if she ran a marathon (which Krystal doubted would ever happen considering Jessica would never run. Voluntarily).

"Really? Here, let me just—"

Krystal heard the door creak through her phone, but only silence came after. Confused, she lifted her gaze from the ground to see Jessica already standing there at the doorway, only clad in a thin silk robe. Her collar bone was bare, robe slipping slightly, and Jessica's brown hair left wet and unkempt.

She eyed how the knot of her robe was slowly slipping loose.

"Unnie..?"

Krystal saw how her sister's mouth was left agape, her jaw left hanging, as Jessica stood there, as if frozen. Krystal tried to decipher why when she felt Tiffany bump her shoulder, the youngest girl peering curiously to see Tiffany resembling her sister's expression.

Tiffany seemed to be struggling to speak, her voice dying down in as she choked out curt syllables. The older woman looked too much like a gaping fish gasping for water as Tiffany stumbled with her own tongue, somehow unable to form anything coherent.

"I — You..." Tiffany's eyes danced quickly between Krystal and Jessica, "...she's your older sister, Krystal..?"

Krystal realized then why the older woman looked so stunned, and coughed into her hand to clear and to avoid any more misunderstandings.

"Yeah, Jessica-unnie is my older sister." She stated as she looked at the two older women cautiously. "You two used to be friends, right?"

Krystal narrowed her eyes when she caught Tiffany's brow twitch, as if surprised, as the latter blatantly stared at her older sister. It almost looked as if Tiffany was demanding Jessica for some sort of explanation, but what would that be?

Krystal eyed the way Jessica nervously shifted, her brown eyes darting away from Tiffany's and even her own, before the older woman spoke up.

"Yeah..." Tiffany's voice trailed uncharacteristically, as if she, herself, was unsure of what she was saying. "...used to be,"

She merely crinkled her brows further in confusion, unable to decipher the odd tone and expression Tiffany adorned before the latter covered it quickly with her usual, smiling persona. Krystal remained silent, watching the way Jessica seemed relieved (as if Tiffany had just done something she was grateful for), before her sister cleared .

"Right," Jessica said quietly, eyeing Tiffany. Assuring her. "Friends."

Krystal was just about to probe further, wondering why the two suddenly seemed careful with their words, before another figure appeared through the doorway.

A frown immediately took Krystal's lips as her mother stepped out, cautiously situating herself beside Jessica. The smile she had on was so fake, Krystal cringed from the blatant distaste her mother held for her behind her darker pair of eyes.

Krystal shifted uncomfortably as her mother spoke with dripping deceit.

"I see we have a visitor," her mother's analytical eyes didn't go unnoticed by Krystal. "I'm Jessalyn Jung," she said curtly, extending a hand for Tiffany to take. "And you are..?" She trailed purposely, her deep dark eyes raking over Tiffany's figure.

Tiffany took her hand with ease, a calm, pleasant smile illuminating her face.

"Tiffany. Tiffany Hwang," she said confidently, her mother seemingly taken aback by Tiffany's curved lips. "A pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Jung." Krystal felt somewhat proud when she saw how firmly Tiffany returned the gesture. A strong handshake.

Her mother's brow raised ever so slightly, but her face revealed nothing as she pulled away. Krystal felt wary as soon as she saw her mother step aside to make room for entrance.

Her worries were right as her mother spoke gently, but sternly.

"Since you brought Soojung home safe and sound," Krystal returned her mother's brief distasteful gaze, "why not stay for dinner? There's plenty of room for one more,"

"Tiff," Krystal called out, noting Jessica's flickering eyes at the mention of the older woman's nickname, as Tiffany turned her head to look at her. "You really don't have to, I mean—"

Through Tiffany's eyes, Krystal knew Tiffany understood her hesitance for the older woman to stay for dinner. She had ranted to Tiffany before about her troubles with home, especially about family dinners, and hoped Tiffany would understand that she didn't want her to have any unnecessary mishaps with the Jungs.
Krystal felt relief wash over her when Tiffany rejected the offer with a shake of her head.

"Thank you for the offer, but I—"

"—Please, do indeed stay."

Krystal's head immediately whipped behind to see her father walk closer towards them from the garden. With a cigarette in hand, he parted his lips to allow a breath of smoke escape his throat, his deep auburn eyes critically scanning each one of them from below.

His eyes evidently lingered on Tiffany before he inhaled another whiff of his cigar.

Of course, Krystal thought gravely, intimidation.

"Excellent," her mother's voice rang loud through the suddenly tense air, "then it's settled. Come in,"

Krystal eyed the way her father blatantly scrutinized Tiffany, as if the older woman had done something wrong. Tiffany returned his steady gaze, and Krystal wondered why the sudden unspoken challenge between them.

Her father merely released another air of smoke before turning around to walk back towards the garden.

Krystal felt a hand touch her shoulder, and she looked up to see Tiffany wryly smiling at her. She looked apologetic, as she nodded towards the door.

"Lead the way,"

When Krystal made it up to the top of the steps, she ushered her silent sister closer to her, grasping her elbow. Jessica merely released a surprised yelp as Tiffany's curious eyes followed their figures.

"Krys..?" Jessica murmured as Krystal pulled her away so she covered Jessica from the guest.

Tiffany merely stared on quietly, confusion plastering her expression as she shut the door behind her.

Krystal deftly tightened the knot of her sister's robe, amusement lacing her tone.

"You were about to give us a show, unnie." She muttered close to Jessica's ear as she readjusted the collar of the silk attire so it would cover Jessica's collar bone.

She giggled lightly at Jessica's flushed cheeks as her sister murmured grateful 'thank you's to her ear in return, shyly avoiding Tiffany's curious gaze. Krystal merely kept mum, a grin curving against her lips, as she ushered the two towards the kitchen, albeit, reluctantly.

Krystal paused momentarily as soon as she saw something peculiar hiding beneath a stack of books on one of the tables in the hall. She kept her eyes fixed on what looked like a newspaper sandwiched between large novels as she lingered behind the two older women. Curious, she gently tugged at it, careful not to make any ruckus, as she flipped it over to the front page cover.

Krystal could feel heat build up inside her, like some sort of rushing volcano, as her eyes hovered over the centre picture. Steam was beginning to leave her ears and her knuckles slowly turned white as she gripped the poor ends of the newspaper. Her eyes flared at the title of the article, as well as the content and message it carried.

They wrote something like this about her sister. Her sweet sister.

And everything began to make sense, the pieces of a broken puzzle finally being put together. That was why her parents were so adamant about inviting Tiffany over as soon as they saw her (because it would never be just about hospitality with the Jungs). It was no wonder why her father wanted her to stay.

Because Jessica and Tiffany made it to the front page headlines.

...It's no wonder unnie and Tiffany looked so startled to see each other, Krystal thought bitterly, biting her lip.

Roughly, she crumpled the newspaper in her hands, not wanting to see or read anything anymore, before stuffing it in her pocket. It was better to keep it and probe later, than to throw it away.

Krystal sighed through gritted teeth, jaw clenched as she tried to steady herself. She combed a hand through her hair before leaning against the table, head bowed, fingers still curled into fists.

They hadn't been just friends.

Jessica was Tiffany's 'someone worth waiting for'.

Krystal hissed, the tugging in her chest coming back with a vengeance. Her heart was pounding against her eardrums, the motion deafening that it made Krystal's fists paler than they already were. 

But why was she so damn upset about that?

---

Author's Note:

In terms of whether this is a Jeti or Krysfany fic, it's both (thus the JeTiKrys tag). So there will hopefully be equal doses of the two pairings. Who wins at the end (or gets to keep Tiffany) will be revealed ONLY at the end of the story.