Prologue

Crooked Heart

 

---

Prologue.

---

Jessica always did get everything.

And Krystal would be the one to pick up the left overs.

“Did I do something wrong?” 

She couldn’t look at her. 

Krystal’s eyes instinctively avoided those pleading pools of black as Tiffany tried to get a glimpse. Krystal had wanted to cross her arms to show her conviction, but she was hugging herself instead; her fingers clutching her sleeves as she strained hard to keep her cold front.

“No more after this, unnie.” She said, avoiding the woman’s probing question with quivering lips. “You two are over.”

Perhaps she really never had nerves of steel like many had thought as Tiffany took a bold step forward; obviously defiant. Krystal couldn’t refrain from tightening her hold on herself as Tiffany inched closer and closer. 

“Why?” Her tone was broken, scarred by hurt and confusion and it took Krystal a lot not to pull her in and embrace her instead. “Why..? If I had done something to upset you, tell me and I’ll fix it.” Her whisper was hoarse, husky and deep, as she took tentative steps towards her.

Krystal had to close her eyes when she saw Tiffany a mere gap away; felt her warm breath tickling her face. She was so close and to see those dark eyes would only make her crumble. She couldn’t allow herself to fall, not now. Not when she finally spoke up and took a stand.

“You don’t belong with her.” Krystal said, with gritted teeth and silent conviction. 

She could feel Tiffany breathe, causing the hairs on her neck to stand. 

“I love her.” The confidence that laced her tone made Krystal open her eyes then, and she could see the undeniable warmth and compassion in those dark pools. “I love her.” Tiffany repeated, as if the statement alone wasn’t enough to prove her point. 

But Krystal already understood the first time and it etched against her heart like melting metal in fire.

She knew that Tiffany loved Jessica with all her heart, but the voice inside her head was selfish and heartbroken; it spoke nothing but the truth.

The things you do just to hear her say your name... 

“Krystal..” 

And Krystal could feel her mind rattle and her heart thump painfully against her chest - as if her ribs would break from the fierce momentum it continued to carry. No matter how much she hated that voice (that fleeting voice that stayed in her head), she couldn’t deny the truth that spilled like harsh rain from a storm; a freezing, drenched trail left from its wake.

Just. Like. That.

“And she loves me.” 

That was like a stab through her crooked heart; her selfish, dark, rampant, and jealous heart. Krystal couldn’t deny what she said because it was true.

Jessica loved Tiffany too.

But what if she was just as much in love with Tiffany as her sister?

Krystal could feel her barriers begin to break - her facade a crumbling terror as she wondered. 

Life was so damn unfair. 

Jessica got everything.

“I know that,” Krystal stated, her whisper almost inaudible, but she knew Tiffany heard. “But that doesn’t change my reason for keeping you from her.” 

“What’s your reason?” Krystal could feel Tiffany’s hands grip her arms, and even if it wasn’t tight, it still hurt. 

They’re not for me, 

“Why?” And Tiffany’s hold gradually tightens, but that wasn’t what caused the pain in her heart to increase ten fold. “Why can’t I be with her?” It was a low, feral growl, but Krystal didn’t flinch - not when her face was inches from Tiffany’s. “Why can’t I love her?” Krystal clenched her fists against her sleeve, her fingers digging into her skin.

Why can’t you love me..? Krystal wanted to reply, but she held her breath when she felt Tiffany breathe against her lips. 

Krystal had to restrain herself from looking down to see those lush lips that her sister got to kiss every single day. That Jessica got to keep and have whispering sweet nothings to her ear as they made love. 

Krystal gripped her arms painfully to subdue the horrible thoughts that plagued her mind as she mustered up the strength to reply.

But when Tiffany suddenly backed off, letting go of her grip on Krystal, the younger girl never understood until she heard the echoes of clicks and clacks resound from the top of the stairs. 

“Sorry I took so long,” a light, melodic and gentle voice caressed the tense air. “I just couldn’t decide on the right dress for you, Tiff.” The thumps and tacks from Jessica’s high heels against tile steps masked their small confrontation. Krystal winced when Tiffany sent her signature eye smile to her older sister, those crescent moons made her chest burn, aching for attention. “We’ll be back later tonight Krys, so don’t wait up, okay?”

Krystal cringed from the happiness that literally spilled from Jessica’s voice. 

Jessica had not seemed to notice the wry and stern looks from her girlfriend and younger sister.

With a weak, tentative smile, Krystal watched her sister lace her fingers together with Tiffany’s as she dragged her through the front door. Krystal had motioned to shut the door behind them, but Tiffany’s palm kept her from doing so; the strength behind her hand firm.

Krystal didn’t dare let her impassive mask fall just yet as Tiffany bid her a goodbye that carried more than she wanted to hear. She didn’t dare let pain paint her expression as the words flowed seamlessly and with overwhelming assurance from Tiffany’s lips.

“I’m not letting her go, Krystal.” 

When Tiffany walked away, and she finally closed the door softly with a light click, Krystal cracked. 

Her persona fell and shattered to the floor as emotions ate and tore her heart apart. When she was sure their footsteps faded away, Krystal slumped against the door, her fist pounding it out of frustration, anger, hurt, jealousy, and one-sided love - God, she was such a wreck - as tears escaped her tired eye lids. Tiffany’s final words just continued to play over and over and over again, like a record that was more than broken. 

But one thing was for sure.

She wasn’t going to let Tiffany go, either. 

Jessica always did get everything.

It was about time she had her everything.