Goodnight Bomi

Earth to Bomi

Minhyuk was walking to his room from school when he heard someone whisper his name. “Who said that?” When no one replied he continued to walk along, then he heard it again. He turned around “Seriously, if you’re messing with me, you have the wrong kid”

Then a mysterious figure came out of the shadows. “I’m fairly certain I have the right kid”

Minhyuk squinted his eyes to see the person lurking in the darkness. “What do you want?”

“I want what you want. I want those kids to come home”

His ears perked up. “You know about the kids getting sent to Earth?”

The person came out of the dark “Of course I know” She was an older woman in a lab coat. “I am one of the people that sent them there."

-

When Bomi awoke there was no one around, she got up and winced in pain. “Ow” She lifted her shirt and saw a bandage around her waist. Her hand went to her head where she felt a small bump.  Events from the attack were all very hazy to her. All she could remember was Shownu carrying her to camp and Kihyun patching her up.

She got up and walked out the front door of the shuttle. Her eyes widened when she saw all the progress. Everyone in the camp was working together to build a wall. The wall was made up of mostly trees and rocks; it stood about seven feet tall. “Wow” she got closer to wall and admired it.

“You like it?” Wonho asked.

“Wonho!”

“You look like you are feeling better” He smiled.

“How long was I out?”

“About a day”

dropped “You did all this work in a day?!”

“Impressive huh?” Wonho stood proudly “We had some extra help; more people came over to camp Goody-Good after hearing about the animal attack. We have more people than Jooheon now”

“So this is for protection”

“Yeah, do you think it’ll work?”

Bomi nodded “It’ll work”

“Good” Wonho looked satisfied with all the work they’ve done.

“Bomi!” Hyungwon ran over. He hugged her tightly.

“Ow! Ow! Ow!” The hug pressed too hard on her side.

“Oops I’m sorry” Hyungwon backed off “Didn’t mean to hurt you”

“It’s all right, where’s Shownu?”

“He’s with some kid getting a sketch of the creature made”

“A sketch?”

“So we know what we’re up against” Wonho interrupted. “He’s the only one who’s seen the thing”

Bomi was interested; she wanted to see what the creature looked like. Maybe it would trigger a memory about the beast. “Can I see it?”

“Everyone will. Tonight, we’ll pass it around while we eat dinner” Wonho told her.

“What about my radio? Is it here?”

Wonho nodded “You sacrificed too much for that thing. We put it in your tent”

-

In the space station, Minhyuk was finally getting information. He met with the scientist in a secret unused laboratory.

“The experiment was originally created to tell us if it is possible to live on Earth. We choose to send in these kids because they are too young to ask questions and old enough to be able to function like a society.”

Minhyuk scratched his head “But why now? What told us that Earth might be safe?”

“Earth didn’t tell us the ship did. Our space station is reaching its max population capacity. We had to do something if we all want to live.”

“So you didn’t even know if it was safe. You practically sent them to their deaths!” Minhyuk raised his voice.

“I know, but we were running out of options.”

“How could you just go along with this? How could you let them go?”

The woman sighed. “I realized it long ago that this had to stop, but I have no power over the prime minister”

“Why are you telling me all this if you can’t even do anything about it?”

“Because you can”

-

When it started getting dark, Hyungwon and a few of the others started the fire. Everyone sat around the fire and enjoyed their rabbit.

Bomi sat next to Shownu. “Hey”

“Hey” he replied “How are you feeling?”

“Good, thanks to you”

He blushed.

“Thanks for saving me” Bomi couldn’t fully express her gratitude.

“It was nothing”

“It most certainly was something! I would’ve been dead if it weren’t for you.” Bomi leaned in and kissed his cheek. “Thank you”

Wonho held the sketch in his hand. “Can I have everyone’s attention?” all the side conversations ceased and all eyes were on Wonho. “In my hand I have a sketch of an animal that you should be wise to stay away from. I don’t want you all to live in fear. As long as you enter the walls before dark, we should be able to carry on like we used to” He handed the sketch to the kid next to him. “Now take a good look at the picture and pass it around”

Every kid had a different reaction to the beast. Some turned away in disgust; others were confused as to what it may be. “Looks like some sort of wildebeest” one kid stated. “I think it kind of looks like your mom” another kid joked.

“Like I said, let’s not live in fear. To the Goody-Goods!” Wonho shouted.

“The Goody-Goods” Everyone cheered.

Then the sketch made its way to Bomi. She held it in her hands for a while starring at it.

“Bomi? You have to pass it around” Hyungwon poked her arm

“Huh?” Bomi broke her daze “Oh, right” She passed it on to the next person.

Hyungwon waved a hand in front of her face “Are you sure you’re okay? Maybe you should lie down”

Bomi nodded “Yeah, you’re right”

Hyungwon helped her get to her tent. “If you need anything just yell”

Bomi rested on her make-shift bed and tried her hardest to drift off to sleep.

-

Bomi ran as fast as she could but no matter how fast or far she ran she didn’t seem to be getting anywhere. “Help!” She continued to run until she fell in a hole. When she landed she wasn’t on Earth any more, she was back on the space station. The prime minister was standing over her laughing. “What are you doing? You can’t just leave us?” The prime minister stopped laughing and pointed at a door behind her. Bomi got up and opened it but when she did the beast was standing there ready to attack.

Bomi screamed so loud she woke up half the camp. Kihyun came running in. He held her tight and rocked her back and forth. “Bomi, it’s okay Bomi I’m right here”

She was crying and covered in sweat. Kihyun waited until she was calm enough to speak. “Tell me what happened” He asked.

Bomi shook her head “It was just a dream”

“It’s over now” Kihyun assured her.

“Did you come running in here from the other side of the camp?” Bomi laughed “I must have woken everyone up”

“It’s all right; they all know what you’ve been through. They won’t blame you. Why don’t you try to go back to sleep”

Bomi shook her head “I don’t want to”

“You have to” He got up and tucked her in. He was about to leave when Bomi stopped him.

“Kihyun wait”

“What is it?” he asked softly

“Can you stay with me? Just until I fall asleep”

Kihyun nodded “Sure” Then he climbed onto Bomi’s shuttle seat bed and let her burry her face his chest. "Goodnight Bomi" he whispered.