Hungry?

Earth to Bomi

No one at the camp got any sleep. It had been two days and the beasts arrived and they were still constantly pounding on the walls. Some of the kids wanted to fight back, kill the beasts, but deep down they knew they were no match.

Bomi looked at the handful of berries in her hand.

“This is all the food we can spare at the moment so eat up and don’t complain” Wonho told everyone.

Kihyun watched her eat her handful of berries “You shouldn’t have to live like this”

“What are you going on about?” Bomi tried to lighten up the mood “I’m so full right now”

“Here take mine” He tried to hand her his share but she refused.

“No, eat your share. I’m fine, I don’t eat that much anyway”

It was getting late and everyone was retiring to their tents. Jooheon gave Bomi a quick hug from behind “Goodnight snowflake!”

Bomi looked up at him and pouted “I’m sorry I brought you here. You would’ve been still enjoying yourself under your waterfall if it weren’t for me”

“Or I could be dead. Don’t be so hard on yourself Snowflake” Jooheon pinched her cheek and then he returned to his tent.

“Ready to go?” Kihyun asked.

For the past two nights Bomi had been sleeping in Kihyun’s tent. She was afraid of the beasts and she only felt comfort being around Kihyun.

“Yep”

Kihyun didn’t like seeing Bomi afraid. He hated these beasts and hated himself for not being able to do anything about it. “Tomorrow I’m going to go find us so more food”

“What do you mean?” Bomi asked. “You can’t go out there”

“We need food if we want to build up our strength”

“You’re not actually talking about fighting back are you?”

Kihyun entered the tent and Bomi followed. “We can’t keep living like this”

Bomi sighed “The space station is going to land soon”

“When? Huh?” He held her face in his hands “Bomi this is our home now, we need to defend it or we’ll die of starvation. No more false hope.”

Bomi peeled his hands off her face. “Please promise me you won’t do anything stupid”

“I promise”

Bomi got under the blanket with Kihyun and he held her securely.  She closed her eyes and tried to sleep but all she could hear were the beasts right at the gate. Kihyun her hair in an effort to calm her down. “Just focus on the sound of my voice”

She listened to Kihyun sing. It was calming and it seemed to clear her head of everything. Then she began to finally drift off to sleep.

In the morning, Kihyun woke up first. He made sure she was still asleep and then he got up and put his shoes on. He grabbed a spear and walked out towards the hole in the gate and went straight on through it.

Bomi shifted in her sleep, she suddenly felt unsecure. She rolled off the bed and landed on the floor. “Ow” she rubbed her head. “Kihyun?” There was no one in sight. She walked out of the tent. “Kihyun?!”

Hyungwon was up tending his garden. “Bomi? What’s wrong?”

“Have you seen Kihyun?”

“Yeah” He pointed towards the side of the wall “He went over there somewhere. Why?”

Bomi didn’t want to worry him. “It’s nothing”

She knew where he was heading. It was the hole in the wall he used to take her off on a date. “Kihyun! I said not to do anything stupid” She jumped through the hole and went after him.

-

Minhyuk’s message spread like wildfire. Most people believed him while others needed proof. The fact of the matter was the message was out and people were beginning to question where the children in the educational program actually went.

“Minhyuk!” Bomi’s mother called “I’m so sorry I didn’t believe you”

Minhyuk was being held behind bars getting ready for a trial. “It’s okay Mrs.B, I was kinda like the boy who cried wolf”

“People are rioting all over the ship. If the prime minister doesn’t want us to take over by force he better land us on Earth” Bomi’s mother held Minhyuk’s hand through the bars. “Worry not; we’ll get to see our Bomi again real soon!”

-

Bomi walked aimlessly around the woods. “Kihyun?” She heard a rustle in a nearby bush. “Ep!”

Out came Kihyun “Bomi? What are you doing here? “

“I could ask you the same thing! You promised me you wouldn’t do anything stupid!”

“Go back to camp and wait for me there” Kihyun tried to push her towards camp but she refused.

“I’m not leaving without you”

“Bomi” he pouted “I don’t want you to get hurt”

“I don’t want you to get hurt either! So whether you like it or not, I’m going with you” Bomi stayed stubborn.

“Okay” Kihyun looked around. “Let’s go hunting”

Bomi looked at how ridiculous Kihyun looked holding the spear. “Do you even know what you’re doing? You’re not a hunter Kihyun”

Kihyun brushed her words off and kept going. “I think I hear something”

“I wish you would’ve brought Shownu or I.M with you, they’re real warriors”

“Bomi be quiet”

“I would’ve been happy if you brought anyone actually, ywhat were you thinking coming out here all alone?” Bomi rambled.

“Bomi” Kihyun begged “Shhhh”

Suddenly Bomi heard a familiar sound that quickly shut her up. One of the beasts was coming right towards them.

“Run!”

Kihyun and Bomi ran as fast as they could but it seemed like the beast was always right on they’re tail. Bomi looked back at the beast but when she turned back around she noticed Kihyun was gone. “Kihyun!” Then she felt something grab her foot.

Kihyun was sitting in a burrow under a rock. “Hurry get in”

She slid down into the burrow. They sat there being as quiet as they could possibly be. Bomi made sure that even her breathing wasn’t too loud. The beast came by a few moments later, he stopped and sniffed the air.  Kihyun grabbed Bomi’s hand. She could tell he was just as scarred as she was.

The beast circled the area a few times before walking back towards the wall.

Once it was gone, Bomi took a deep breath. Kihyun climbed out of the burrow and helped Bomi out. Together they walked cautiously back to the wall.

“I’m sorry you didn’t catch anything” Bomi apologized “You probably could of if I just shut up”

Kihyun shook his head “It’s all right, in all honesty I was glad you were with me. You gave me some much needed courage”

Bomi squinted her eyes “Do you see that?”

“See what?” Kihyun looked.

There in front of them was pig wandering around. “looks like we found some food”