Restricted Access

Earth to Bomi

Minhyuk snuck into a room on the space station that had restricted access. “I could get in a lot of trouble being in here”

“So could I” The woman responded “Did you bring the things I asked you to get?”

“Yep, sure did” Minhyuk dropped the box he was holding onto the table.

“Perfect” The woman started working with the electronics.

“What exactly are we doing?” Minhyuk asked.

“Building a radio that blocks the ships transmitters so we can talk to kids on Earth”

“I thought the prime minister sent them down there without a radio?”

“That’s what I thought” The woman continued to tinker with the electronics that Minhyuk brought her. “But it turns out someone down there built one”

“Bomi” Minhyuk smiled

She finished the radio and looked up at him. “Are you ready?”

-

The fight that broke out made Bomi embarrassed to show her face, so she hid in her tent. She knew she was going to have to face people eventually she just didn’t want to in that moment.

“Bomi?” Hyungwon called. “Can I come in?”

“Go away Hyungwon, I don’t want to talk to anyone right now”

He came in anyway. “Don’t be mad Bomi”

Bomi sighed “I’m not”

“Then why won’t you come out? We’re having pig for lunch”

“Maybe later Hyungwon”

“Hey what’s that noise?” Hyungwon asked.

“I’m not falling for it Hyungwon, I’ll come out when I’m ready”

“It’s not a trick. I think it’s coming from your radio”

Bomi got up and grabbed her radio “Were getting a signal! Hurry get Wonho!”

Hyungwon ran out of the tent. “Wonho! Bomi needs you in her tent, the radio is working!”

Wonho was shocked “really?” He followed Hyungwon back to her tent.

Bomi was turning the knobs trying to get the signal.

Wonho entered the tent “Is it really working?”

“I think so” Bomi smiled. “Someone turned their signal receptors on”

“We don’t have to be on high ground?” Hyungwon asked.

“No, this signal is much stronger than the last one” Bomi hushed everyone “Listen”

“Hello…..Is Min….Calling from the…..station” The radio still had static but someone was definitely there.

“Hello? This is Bomi, can anyone hear me?” Bomi called.

“Bomi!....It’s Minhyuk…” the radio was clearing up.

“Minhyuk!” Her eyes lit up. “Is it really you!”

“Who’s Minhyuk?” Hyungwon asked.

“He’s a friend” Bomi went back to the radio “Minhyuk it’s so good to hear your voice!”

Minhyuk responded “I have urgent news; the prime minister has cut off all communications with you so we are talking behind closed doors”

“We know, we tried to talk to them earlier” Bomi replied. “Minhyuk, is anyone coming for us?”

“You are all part of an experiment to see if it’s safe to live on Earth. Until they are sure it is, you’re stuck there”

“It’s safe! No radiation poisoning, and there are animals here” Wonho called out.

“Animals, that’s amazing” The woman spoke up. “This is great news”

“Who was that Minhyuk?” Bomi asked.

“Don’t worry she’s a friend, how many of you are left?”

“We have around thirty here and there are four more in a camp outside ours” Wonho replied.

“Try to stay together. So it is safe there?”

Bomi paused. “There are some animals here that are dangerous”

“Don’t worry about them, when the space station comes we’ll have weapons to ……..” Minhyuk’s signal was getting cut off.

“Minhyuk, you’re breaking up”

The scientist woman seemed upset. “It’s the prime minister, he’s shutting off communications”

“Don’t worry Bomi…..We’re Coming!” Minhyuk yelled.

The radio signal cut off but Bomi wouldn’t have it. “Minhyuk? Minhyuk come in”

“Let’s keep this a secret. I don’t want anyone becoming discouraged because they know the station is coming” Wonho commanded.

“Agreed, and it’s not like we even know when it’s coming” Hyungwon nodded.

Bomi continued to play with the radio “Hello? Minhyuk?”

Wonho put a hand on her shoulder “Bomi, the radio is off”

“But I have to get the signal back!”

“C’mon Bomi” Wonho took the radio out of her hands and put it down. “Let’s go eat some lunch”

-

Bomi took a bite of her pig and chewed it slowly. She was upset at herself for forgetting about Minhyuk. Before he contacted them she was beginning to forget where they came from or why they were there. It was as If they have lived in this camp their entire lives.

Suddenly a flower appeared in front of her face breaking her from thought. She looked past the flower and she could see Kihyun standing there with a hopeful expression. “I’m sorry”

Bomi looked at the flower and then back to him. She was about to say something when Kihyun stopped her.

“Don’t say anything. Just follow me” He slipped the flower into her hair behind her ears.

When he started walking off Bomi felt obligated to follow him.

She walked behind him until they reached and opening in the wall. He went through it and held out his hand. “C’mon”

“What are you doing? We can’t go out there!” Bomi hadn’t stepped outside of the wall since the attack.

“Don’t worry; I’ll be with you the whole time”

Bomi reluctantly took his and slipped through the wall. “We can’t be out here long, It’s gonna get dark soon.”

They kept walking until they reached the river. It wasn’t until they got there that Bomi realized she had been holding Kihyun’s hand the entire way there. She carefully took back her hand and sat on the ground. “Okay I give up, why are we here?”

Kihyun pulled out a bottle from behind the bush.

“Is that?”

“Champagne? Yes” he sat down next to Bomi. “I know it’s not much for a first date but…”

“Is that what this is?” Bomi smiled “Where did you get that anyway?”

“Jooheon’s stash”

“You went over there?!”

Kihyun shook his head “Of course not; some kid brought it over when he switched camps. I ‘confiscated’ it from him” He popped it open. “Looks like it’s already been drunken out of”

Bomi laughed at his attempt to be extravagant “Thank you”

“For what?”

“Making me feel better” She took the bottle from him and took a swig. “Yep, that’s disgusting”

“It’s an acquired taste” He took a sip himself “Nope, your right that is disgusting”

They sat there for a while laughing and enjoying themselves. “I forgive you”

“What?”

“You told me you were sorry, now I’m telling you that I forgive you” Bomi pinched his cheeks “You’re too cute to be mad at”

“Are you drunk already?” Kihyun laughed

“That’s what you told me, aboard the space station, you said I was cute”

“Looks like it’s time to get you to bed.” He got up and helped her stand “You’re such a light-weight”

Bomi nodded “Yep”

He walked with her for a while until her legs got wobbly, then picked her up and carried her the rest of the way. “We’re almost there”

Bomi was slowly falling asleep in his arms “Okay”

He dropped her off inside her tent and tucked her into bed. “That should do it”

“Don’t leave” she begged.

“I have to, remember what happened last time?”

Bomi shook her head “I don’t want you to leave”

“Good night Bomi”

Insisting that Kihyun not leave her, Bomi sat up and grabbed onto shoulders. “Stay”

Kihyun tried to peel off her arms but she just wrapped them around tighter. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him so close they were now face to face. “Bomi, your making it really hard to resist kissing you”

Bomi just smiled and moved her face up to his. She kissed his lips softly and then released her grip. “Stay”

He looked at her for a while contimplating it. “I can’t” then he turned around and left leaving Bomi alone.