The Dark Side

Earth to Bomi

Over on the other side of the boundary line Jooheon’s followers were running around like savages.

“I caught a rabbit” one kid chanted.

“Hey can I have some?” another kid asked.

“No way! Get your own!”

Jooheon just sat up on the rock and watched his work.

“Jooheon?” a young twelve year old boy asked “I’m hungry”

“Then go find yourself some food”

The little boy pouted and sat down in the grass.

I.M joined Jooheon on the rock. “We are gonna need to get some food pretty soon here”

Jooheon leaned back and closed his eyes. “Let’s worry about that when we get hungry”

“Then we won’t have enough energy to hunt anything down.”

Jooheon sighed “Fine! You want to hunt, let’s hunt!”

-

Jooheon had took the heaviest steps and would scare the animals away instantly.

“Do you think you could be just a tad bit quieter?” I.M asked impatiently.

They finally came across a deer in the woods.

“This one’s mine” Jooheon moved in on the deer.

“Jooheon come back here” I.M called.

But it was too late, Jooheon went charging after the deer and it went running.

“See dude, I told you you’re too noisy” I.M complained.

Jooheon threw his spear in the air in frustration. Then a duck landed next them.

“Did your spear just hit that?” I.M questioned.

Jooheon picked up the duck “Were eating tonight!”

-

That night at the bonfire they cooked their one duck. After finishing his first round Jooheon grabbed another piece of duck.

“Wait I didn’t get any” a boy yelled.

“Yeah me neither” another child called.

Jooheon shrugged “The oldest gets two pieces, that’s the rule”

“You said there were no rules!” the little boy pouted.

“Right, there aren’t.  If you want this piece, than take it from me” Jooheon smiled.

Kihyun couldn’t take any more of this. “Jooheon just give the kid a piece, you had your share”

“Share?” Jooheon laughed “There are no shares. Having no rules means every man for himself. If you don’t like it then you’re obviously on the wrong side.”

“You’re right. I am on the wrong side!” Kihyun stood up and headed straight towards the boundary line. A bunch of the younger kids followed. They knew they weren’t going to be able to survive on Jooheon's side any longer.

-

Bomi was munching down on her deer kabob when she noticed shadowy figures in the distance. “Is that?”

Wonho stood up “Look who it is”

Kihyun and the others stood in front of them. One little child spoke up first. “Jooheon is mean. Can we join your team?”

Wonho laughed “I knew people would start switching soon. I just didn’t think it would be this soon.”

Shownu got up from his seat around the fire “If you guys are going to join us you’re going to have to put in the work.”

“That’s right we all do our part here” Wonho agreed.

All of the kids nodded.

“We’ll pick jobs in the morning, as for now, who’s hungry?” Wonho helped hand out deer to the new members of the camp.

Kihyun sat down next to Bomi. “Did you have fun at camp Jooheon?” She teased.

“I should’ve followed you. It wasn't at all what I imagined”

Bomi gave him her best 'I told you so' look

Kihyun nudged Bomi playfully “I’m sorry”

-

That night Bomi retired in her own tent just left of the shuttle. She tried her hardest to make herself comfortable in her torn up shuttle seat and then she soon fell asleep.

-

The next day Bomi awoke to the sound of Wonho’s voice. “Everybody up! We need to do a headcount and assign new jobs!”

Bomi groaned and stepped out of her tent. “Can’t I sleep just a little longer?”

“And wait until the sun is right over our heads, I don’t think so” Wonho did a quick headcount. “It looks like we have about 20 people.”

Shownu nodded “Sounds good, let’s assign the new people to their jobs.”

-

While Shownu and Wonho distributed the chores, Bomi went back to finishing the radio. It was almost done she just needed one more part. Unfortunately when Bomi went to grab the part from the shuttle she was disappointed to see that it was missing. “Where is it?”

Two young kids were playing around just outside the shuttle. “What are you looking for?” One of them asked.

“Did you two happen to see someone take this part here?” Bomi pointed at the missing chunk in the shuttle.

“Oh…Jooheon took it” She replied. “He took a bunch of things when we landed”

Bomi clenched her fist “You don’t say”

-

Bomi walked diligently over to Wonho. “Wonho we have a problem”

“Wait just a second, we are almost done” Wonho bent down and looked at the twelve year old boy. “Now what’s your name?”

“Clark” Clark rubbed his nose.

“Okay Clark, what are you good at?” Wonho asked.

“Video games”

“Video games that’s great! Why don’t you follow Shownu, he’ll teach you how to hunt” Wonho suggested.

“Should we really be sending a little boy to go kill animals?” Bomi questioned.

Wonho turned around “What do you want Bomi? Can’t you see I’m busy?”

“It’s the radio”

Wonho changed his tone from irritated to intrigued “Did you finish it?”

“No, I need one more part. That’s what I need to tell you, Jooheon has it”

Wonho thought for a moment. “All right, I’ll go get it. Stay here”

Bomi chased after him “Hey wait a second, you don’t even know what it looks like”

Wonho stopped in his tracks. “Fine, we’ll both go” He called to Shownu “Hey, we’re heading out.  I’m leaving you in charge”

Shownu nodded. “Where are you guys headed?”

“Don’t worry about it, we will be right back”

-

Wonho and Bomi approached the boundary line. “Jooheon, we need to talk” Wonho called.

Nobody answered.

“Maybe we should come back later” Bomi suggested.

Wonho ignored her and shouted louder “Hello? Jooheon?”

Suddenly Jooheon and I.M jumped out of the bushes. “Did you call?”

Wonho stood his ground. “You have something we need. We are here to make a trade”

Jooheon laughed “What could you possibly have that I want”

“Food, blankets, supplies.”

Jooheon nodded “So what is it exactly that you want from me?”

“We need the part you took from the shuttle”

“That pile of scrap metal” I.M chuckled “It’s worth nothing”

 Jooheon shushed him and turned back to Wonho “What do you need it for?”

Wonho shook his head “it’s none of your business”

“Well you obviously really need it or you wouldn’t resort to coming here.” Jooheon then had a devious idea. “Okay I’ll trade. But I don’t want your food or blankets”

I.M was about to argue. He knew they were in need for food, but he realized Jooheon wasn’t planning on telling them that.

Wonho looked confused “Then what”

Jooheon smirked “I want her” He pointed over to Bomi.

“What?”

“Just for a day, I want her to spend time on our side. Then I’ll give you the scrap metal” Jooheon demanded.

Wonho shook his head “You know I can’t agree to that, Bomi is one of our own, you can’t just…”

“It’s all right” Bomi interrupted. “I’ll do it”

Wonho pulled Bomi to the side. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“We need to finish this radio, and if that calls for me spending a day on the crazy side then so be it”

Wonho sighed “Are you sure? Jooheon is nuts, you don’t even know what you’re in for”

“I’ll be fine, trust me” Bomi assured him.

They went back to join Jooheon and I.M. “Do we have a deal?” Jooheon held out his hand.

Wonho reluctantly grabbed it “It’s a deal”

“Yes!” Jooheon shouted “Snowflake, welcome to the dark side!”