Earth Bound

Earth to Bomi

Bomi hid in her closet until her mother left for work. Once her mother stepped out the front door, Bomi crept out of the closet and sat down on the couch. “I guess all I can do now is wait”

Around an hour later Bomi heard a frantic knock at the door. “Bomi! It’s okay, it’s me Minhyuk!”

Bomi rushed to the door and opened it.

“Bomi, we have to go, now” Minhyuk had another kid with him that she recognized from school.

“What do you mean we have to go? Wasn’t the plan to stay home?”

“Bomi! There is no time to argue! They’re coming! The guards will be here any minute!” Minhyuk grabbed Bomi’s arm and they all started running.

They ran down the hallways, attempting to get as far away as possible.  They stopped and ran into a supply closet. “What’s going on?” Bomi asked still panting.

“It’s insane. They have practically every guard working at the school.” Minhyuk looked out the supply window to see if anyone was coming. “They’re going after people who didn’t show up to school. We had to get to you before they did”

Bomi looked over at the guy that was with Minhyuk. She decided to take this opportunity to introduce herself  “My name is Bomi”

The kid laughed. “I know. I’m Hyungwon”

Soon it got quiet. The three of them sat in that storage closet for half an hour until they heard something. Minhyuk held a finger over his lips warning them to stay quiet. He moved towards the window to see if anyone was there but before he could the door swung open.

“I found them!” The guard called.

“No!” Minhyuk jumped up on the man. “Go Bomi! Run!”

Bomi went to run but it was too late. They were surrounded.

-

The guards had Hyungwon and Bomi handcuffed. They walked for a while until they finally reached a space shuttle. Bomi wanted to run but she knew it would be no use.  The guards strapped her into the shuttle. Then someone with a lab coat walked over to her and gave her a shot in her left arm. “I’m so sorry” he whispered “But this is going to help mankind” The shot made her dizzy and then she fell asleep.

-

When she awoke the shuttle was already in space and approaching Earth’s atmosphere.  She looked around at the other kids who were asleep. Most of the kids were older teens but some of them were as young as twelve.

The shuttle soon hit the atmosphere and the ride got rough. Bomi’s head constantly hit the back of her seat and she thought she was going to get whiplash from it. The kids started to scream in terror. The shuttle’s parachutes launched and it started to slow down.

The shuttle landed abruptly on Earth’s surface. Then almost instantly, the children aboard the ship pulled off their seat belts and bolted for the door. Bomi joined the crowd.

Wonho was in the front of the crowd. He was about to open the shuttle door when he stopped. “What if the air is toxic?”

A kid Bomi recognized named Shownu spoke up “Just open it, if you don’t we’ll run out of oxygen in here and suffocate.”  

Wonho took a deep breath and pushed it open.

The light was almost blinding, then once Bomi’s eyes adjusted all she could see was green. Slowly, children began to step outside the shuttle. Bomi never thought she was ever going to get to do things like feel a leaf in her hands or roll around in the grass but now, she could. There was so much oxygen in the air Bomi thought she was going to pass out.

Then everyone went crazy. Kids started running around in circles yelling at the top of their lungs. People were so happy they couldn’t control themselves.  Bomi was happy and smiling too until she realized something. There was no way to communicate with the space station.

-

Back at the space station:

The prime minister walked into the control room. “Let me hear a progress report. Has the shuttle hit ground?”

One of the scientists replied “yes sir, the shuttle has hit ground and all of the students are accounted for”

“Are there any signs of radiation poisoning?” The prime minister asked.

Another scientist was looking at a bunch of charts on a screen. “Looks like the injection worked. I can monitor the radiation levels of all the students and they are looking good so far.”

“Good ” The prime minister nodded and walked out of the room. “Keep working”

-

Minhyuk knocked on Bomi’s door. “Mrs. B? I need to talk to you”

Bomi’s mother opened the door. “Hello Minhyuk, Bomi already left”

“That’s what I’m here to tell you. She really did leave, she went to Earth”

Bomi’s mother sighed. “You know Minhyuk, I put up with your insane stories for Bomi because I know that you’re her friend. But I just can’t deal with it today”

“It’s not a story! She’s really gone!”

“Yeah and that alien you saw last week was really there.” Bomi’s mother shut the door in his face. “Have a nice day Minhyuk”

Minhyuk looked out the window at Earth “I hope you’re okay Bomi”