Chapter 8

Marlboro Reds

* * * * *

 

“We will end the meeting here. Thank you all for attending.”

Sung Won quietly snorted into his chin while packing up his briefcase and switching off his laptop. Thank you for attending, his boss had said – but did the employees have any choice?

Thirty or so chairs made an annoying screech! as Sung Won’d co-workers rushed out, chatting, planning on getting their fifth cup of coffee for the day and complaining to each other about the boss’ ever-increasing demands.

On the other hand, Sung Won remained in his seat. Within a minute, the meeting room emptied and  became eerily quiet.

As much as he had tried to, Sung Won hadn’t been able to focus at all on the important meeting that had just taken place. Instead, his mind seemed glued to what his wife had told him during their weekend trip to Jeju Island. It was Thursday now, but Sung Won felt like he was still stuck in that lily-patterned bedroom, his face shocked and his mouth agape, listening to his wife tell him the last thing he expected to hear.

Sung Won took a long sigh, closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair. If he continues to be stressed out over Jimin, his work could suffer greatly.

However, Sung Won could barely bring himself to even consider the ridiculous things his wife had told him. He didn’t doubt her honesty, yet he didn’t feel like believing her words either, or dealing with the issues they created. He ran a hand through his hair, noticing how dirty it had become and remembering the grey strand he had discovered that morning in the bathroom. Sung Won was much too young to be turning grey yet. Perhaps his work was taking its toll.

Suddenly he stood up. He started pacing the room repeatedly, from the smartboard to the filing cabinet and then back again. He tried to focus on the problem at hand, on what to do about Jimin. After all, Jimin was his only son.

But whenever he tried to focus his mind, he became unbearably disturbed, as though some shrine of discomfort had opened and unleashed a horde of unpleasant thoughts. Against his wishes, his mind conjured an image of Jimin, his son Jimin, kissing a faceless boy, touching him. Bile started rising up Sung Won’s white-collared throat, and it took all his willpower not to throw up. As soon as the feeling passed, he was suddenly overwhelmed by guilt.

What kind of parent feels disgusted with their own son?

This wasn’t the kind of father Sung Won wanted to be.

At that moment, his phone buzzed inside his pocket. A manager from another department was calling. Grateful for the interruption, Sung Won picked it up eagerly.

Work came first. Everything else could wait.

 

* * * * *

 

Jimin lay in his bed and tried to make himself feel afraid.

He knew he should be tossing and turning, pacing the room, or kicking around his blankets. He should be disturbed, conflicted and scared by this weird relationship (was it even a relationship?) he was having with Jin. The kiss didn’t just happen once, like an experiment or an accident. It happened twice.

But strangely, Jimin didn’t feel worried about any of that.

In fact, it didn’t even feel like the senior was another human being. Jin was just this tall silhouette shrouded in darkness and cigarette smoke. Like some thrilling dream that had nothing to do with reality.

Sprawled comfortably on his bed, Jimin glanced tiredly out of the window. The night sky was wide and clear. The moon seemed ridiculously beautiful.

There I go again with this crap. Just like the leaves thing. Since when do I care about the ing moon?! he wondered, laughing at himself. If I’m not careful I’ll end up as crazy as Taehyung.

Crazy or not, the moon seemed to resemble the glow of a certain senior’s eyes.

Giving up on thinking, Jimin turned around and instantly feel asleep.

 

* * * * *

 

Soo Hyun lay in her bed and tried to make herself stop feeling afraid.

She knew she should be sleeping. After all, she had work tomorrow, and dinner wasn’t going to cook itself either. Yet, even though she was tired, she could not even relax, let alone fall asleep. Every time she closed her eyes, terrible scenarios unfolded in her head. The word about Jimin being that way got out. Jimin had no more friends. Jimin got beaten up every day. Jimin committed sui-

No, Soo Hyun told herself. She knew she was being completely irrational.

And yet, the thoughts did not stop.

Giving up on sleeping, Soo Hyun turned around and, lying perfectly still, waited for the dawn to arrive.

 

* * * * *

KissTheDream: Ugh, so much family drama in this chapter! We’ll see more of the boys in the next one so stay tuned.