Chapter 7

Marlboro Reds

KissTheDream: Sorry for the looooong wait! >.< I wrote too many chapters at once and got confused with the timeline. Hopefully I've sorted that out now.

This chapter unfolds at the same time as the previous one. Since I’m following more than one character, this might happen from time to time, but I’ll be sure to leave a note when it does.

 

* * * * *

 

Despite the chilly weather, the hotel room was cosy and warm. Nestled among the blankets, Park Soo Hyun put down her romance novel and gazed at her husband, deep in thought.

The man was hunched over his laptop, finishing up some business he had left to do. Their little vacation was rather abrupt, and the only way Park Sung Won could manage to go was to bring a laptop along.

Even though it was sudden, the couple’s trip to Jeju Island was surprisingly pleasant. By pure accident, the hotel the two were staying at was exactly the same one they’d booked for their honeymoon 18 years ago.

It set the atmosphere for what was probably one of the most beautiful weekends of Soo Hyun’s life. With both (mostly) free from their work, the couple could finally spend time together. Sung Won was in an especially good mood, so much he would suddenly start whistling while taking walks through the autumn hills, kiss Soo Hyun right out of the blue, or take her out for a fancy meal on the spur of the moment.

She hated to break that light-hearted atmosphere that made her feel like a girl again. But it had to be done. It was one of the reasons she had insisted on going on this trip – to go somewhere where they could be peaceful and alone and tell her husband, as calmly and painlessly as possible, what was happening with their son.

Or perhaps, the trip was simply an excuse, so that she could delay the inevitable for just a little longer.

Still hesitant, she traced the fabric of the pale sheets, embroidered with lilies in full bloom. She didn’t recall the number of the room they’d rented when they had come here for their honeymoon. During that time, Jimin had been conceived. It might’ve been on this very bed.

Had something gone wrong without her noticing? Was her son different from the start? And was is somehow her fault? Park Soo Hyun bit her lips. She had no answer.

“… Can we talk for a minute, dear?”

After all those years of marriage, Sung Won easily picked up on the strain in her voice. Shutting down his laptop, he sat on the other edge of the bed, eyeing her cautiously. She had seemed so happy just a few minutes before. Sung Won couldn’t imagine what could had gone wrong.

Park Soo Hyun took a long sigh to steady herself. She ran her fingers through her long dark hair, and started talking.

 

* * * * *

 

KissTheDream: This chapter is really short, but two more are already finished and will soon be up! ^^