Part 8 - Run

(X)

Tao couldn’t find him.

If he hadn’t stopped time he would’ve guessed he had been looking for Sehun for an hour. He slowly walked back to the rest of the group who was still frozen in chaos. How was he going to explain this to Chanyeol and Baekhyun?

Tao sighed rubbing his head, ever since Sehun disappeared he had gotten the worst headache. He couldn’t keep looking for him. Tao always broke something when he used his powers who knows what freezing time for an hour would break.

He looked at the ground just as everything came back to life. More lights from the Eiffel tower blew up and Chanyeol had melted the ice setting the grass on fire.

Tao noticed that there was no wind like before. Sehun wasn’t here. Not physically anyway. He felt someone grip his arm and he turned around to face Kai “we have to go… Now”

“Why?”

Kai nodded towards the opposite side of the tower motioning towards a group of police coming their way. That’s why. Kai and Tao have never had this sort of problem they always focused on keeping the attention away from themselves.

And now they were stuck right in the middle of it, he looked at Baekhyun who had probably done enough damage to piss off all of Paris. This was bad. Tao looked up to see security cameras hanging from a pole two feet from them. His breath caught. “They recorded everything..,”

“What?”

Tao pointed at the cameras and felt Kai stiffen next to him. “What did we just do..?”

They both looked at Xiumin who was still having trouble with his power and grabbed his shoulder. Xiumin followed their gaze and he nodded “let’s go”

“Where’s Sehun?!” Chanyeol yelled grabbing Baekhyun and tearing him away from the half lit up tower. They all looked around and Tao knew he didn’t have time to explain. “He already ran! Now let’s do the same”

He started running knowing they were following behind. His thoughts traveled to Sehun. He didn’t know what he was going to do. Everything had suddenly become a mess.

Tao wanted to freeze time again and go looking for him but he wasn’t sure if that would cause more damage. He looked at Xiumins feet each step leaving a trail of frost.

No one was controlling their powers anymore.

*****

(Baekhyun POV)

He fell behind the rest of the group flinching at every light that exploded. He could hear the angry yells of the police as they chased them.

This was impossible. They were going to get caught in no time if they stayed together. “We have to split up!”

“What?! No!” Chanyeol looked back at him like he was crazy. “He’s right, if we stay together they’ll catch us easier” Kai looked at Tao and Xiumun and the nodded agreeing. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol “what about Sehun?”

“Also a good reason to separate we have better chances of finding him!” Baekhyun dodged a women carrying a pile of boxes hearing her yell at him as he caught up to Chanyeol.

“Ok let’s split up! Let’s meet at the train station” Chanyeol yelled at them. Baekhyun saw Kai nod and look at them one more time before disappearing into thin air. “What the hell?!”

“He can teleport!” Tao answered him as he and Xiumin turned the corner.

“Remember the train station” Chanyeol hit his arm as if saying good luck and ran into a dark alley. He was alone. Baekhyun looked behind him and saw not only a police officer chasing him but a guy in a dark suit, the type they wore when he was at the research facility.

How he wished he had the power of teleporting right now. He pushed his legs further as he turned into the first street that came up, the pathway was narrow and dark with buildings on either side of it, the only light he had were small lamps that were hooked to the walls. He ran down a flight of steps before stopping to catch his breath.

He was really getting sick of running. It feels like the only thing he’s done lately is run. He couldn’t catch s break he was mentally and physically tired. His powers knew that too. They had been acting up for month now but never like this.

Baekhyun looked at his hand wanting to use his light but after what happened who knows what it would do next. He took out his phone ready to call Chanyeol when a whisper touched his ear sending shivers down his spine “Someone is looking for you” he could almost feel the breath against his skin.

The voice was dark and malicious, the type a kid would have during a nightmare. That’s what it all felt like, one big nightmare.

“Who’s there?! Huh?!” Baekhyun turned around but there was nothing. He was probably being paranoid, he had to get ahold of himself. He held his breath his hand ready to start glowing. The light above his head suddenly exploded causing him to jump.

Something didn’t feel right. Baekhyun looked behind him one more time before running away. He couldn’t use his powers not right now. One by one the lights turned off and he was left running in the dark.

Baekhyun crashed against the brick wall forcing himself to keep going. He couldn’t see. He couldn’t feel any light anywhere, in any part of the city. Except for one. He could feel the energy of one more lamp and it was only a couple feet away. He had to get there.

He heard footsteps behind him as he ran towards the end of the passage, he turned two more corners and saw a faint light in the distance.

There it was! With as much strength as could manage he pushed himself towards the lamp running right into a dead end.  

“No! No!” He grabbed the bars to the metal gate in front of him shaking it as hard as he could. There had to be a way out. He couldn’t be stuck here.

That’s what they wanted. He felt stupid, it was all a trap. They knew he would sense the only light available and used it to their advantage. He was caught. Like a moth to a flame.

He heard someone approach him and he turned around just as the final light above him that he once felt hope towards turned off. He was surrounded in darkness.

It was watching him. He couldn’t make out the details of figure in front of him, just the silhouette. It made no attempt to grab him though. He suddenly felt like this was a test. It wanted to test him, see what he was capable of.

Baekhyun took a deep breath refusing to use his gift. The figure watched him carefully, every time he moved their head would move according to his actions.

His heart pounded and he flinched just as the dark silhouette took one step towards him, if they wanted to see what he was capable of then what’s what he had to do. There was no other option at this point.

Baekhyun channeled as much light as he could from his palms.

Slowly sparks of light rose from his hands, the best way to describe how it looked like was to get a hundred fireflies around him. The small lights hovered in between him and the figure. And he could finally see his chaser.

It took another step forward and quickly closed the distance.