Chapter 9

Strangers At Heart

Chapter 9

"Good morning"

Mark greeted, staring at the younger who just mumbled back a quick 'morning' before taking a seat opposite of him, making the older sigh mentally.

Four days has passed since the Yugyeom's incident, things had return back to per normal except for Jackson, after that night he changed.

The older wouldn't say that he got cold and distance because he still does give Mark somewhat a response but just isn't like the usual, bright and happy.

He only speaks when he needs too and other than that they will be engulfed by these awkward and intense silence, not the usual peaceful ones that Mark was used too.

Mark wonders did he do something wrong to cause that much change in Jackson or did the younger just had loss any interest he had in him after hearing about his past.

"Mandu, can I go to work today?" Mark questioned since Jackson had force him to stayed at home for the last four days to rest himself and get those ugly bruises healed.

Jackson looked up upon hearing that question, his eyes quickly scanning Mark who thankfully looked better and healthier today, he look healthy enough to work.

"Sure but I'm driving you to work." Jackson answered, eyes back on his scrambled eggs while Mark smiles, he finally get to go out and breath in some fresh air.

"Thank you, Mandu." Mark thanked excitedly, his hand reached out to ruffled the younger's hair but Jackson suddenly stood up, avoiding the contact before busy picking up his bag, phone and car keys.

"I will be waiting for you over at the couch. Thanks for the food." Jackson exclaimed, carrying his dirty plate over to sink before making his way to the living room area, ignoring Mark's eyes that following his every movement.

Mark sighed again, he really didn't know what to do because Jackson acting like this is slowly breaking him apart, he felt like once again everything is his fault again.

He quickly clear up his dirty plate and mug before making his way upstairs to get ready for work, mind still busy trying to figure Jackson out.

Meanwhile downstairs, Jackson is trying really hard to stop his racing heart beat that started going crazy the moment Mark's hand approached him.

He didn't know what happened to him but since that night, his heart was acting crazy at just the mere contact with Mark.

He had avoided the older because he had felt guilty for not being there for Mark when he needed him the most, he should be able to protect his husband but he let the older go through the painful memories again.

Jackson feel like he don't deserve someone like Mark, he failed as a husband and he feels so useless and the fact that Mark now had this effect on him, it wasn't helping at all.

The younger punches the nearby cushion in frustration, he don't know how long he can act like this toward the sweet older.

"I'm ready." Mark exclaimed, reappearing from the stairs before he look at Jackson who quickly got up, trying to cover the fact that he just finish beating up a cushion.

"Did the cushion offend you or something?" Mark teased when he realized the younger seems embarrassed about being caught punching an innocent cushion.

"Let's go." Jackson blurted out quickly, blushing a bit before leaving the amused Mark behind and head for the front door.

 

+++++++++++++

 

“Morning babe.” Jinyoung greeted, hugging Bambam by the waist before pecking his cheeks.

Bambam sighed, wiggling out of the other hold before looking at Jinyoung.

“Didn't I make myself clear last night, Jinyoung?” Bambam exclaimed calmly, he just want the other to leave him alone.

“You gotta be joking, Bam. You can't just dumped me like thIs.” Jinyoung exclaimed in disbelief, he seriously thought that those words from the other yesterday were a joke.

“Why can't I ? I have the every right to break up with you. I already told you that things aren’t working out for us.” Bambam asked, finding it ridiculous at how he could even take his words as a joke.

“No! It was just fine but you were the one that change because of him.” Jinyoung hissed, totally unsatisfied at how he is being treated right now, it’s all thanks to the talk Bambam had with Jackson back at the resort.

“I didn’t change, I just found myself again, Jinyoung. It’s time for us to stop and move on, they already move on without us.” Bambam said, trying to get the other to see his point in everything because it’s no use for him to cling on when it’s obvious everything already ended between him and Jackson, he was just in a denial before because he was so used to receiving love that it annoyed him when that love was given to someone else.

It took him days to find the old him again but he finally did, thanks to Jackson’s words and that is also when he realized what he shared with Jinyoung wasn’t love but lust instead therefore he decided to just end everything between them.

“Whatever, Bam. If you wanna break up so badly, fine. There is no need to lecture me.” Jinyoung snickered at Bambam acting all decent before leaving the other and entering his own office.

Bambam sighed at Jinyoung’s stubbornness, knowing that will destroy him one day before going into his own office beside Youngjae’s.

Unknown to the pair, Jaebum and Youngjae who had arrived not long after Jinyoung had overheard everything which surprise them to no end especially the change in Bambam.

“Is that why he wasn’t hanging out with Jinyoung much these days. He is also so quiet since their return from the resort.” Youngjae asked, looking at the older who shrugged his shoulders, unsure himself .

“I will try and ask Jacks later about what happened back there.” Jaebum suggested, earning a nod from the younger before they both also go ahead and enter their respective office.

 

+++++++++++++

 

Mark smiled, feeling relief that they managed to clear today’s desserts order for a lunch event rather quickly, even before lunch.

“Boss, we cleared everything for today. We only had that one event order.” Henry exclaimed as he pass their order list for the younger to check.

“That’s good, take a rest for now.” Mark replied, ordering his staffs to take a break from baking since they didn’t need to rushed for another order.

“Sure, we also had quite a few extra of the chocolate cheesecakes if you wanna a bite.” Henry informed, knowing that Mark would usually enjoy their leftover treats as not to waste his staffs effort baking them.

Upon hearing the word ‘cheesecake’, he instantly thought of the younger who he had found out through their cafe dates that Jackson loves cheesecake.

An idea pops up causing Mark to grin at himself while Henry raise his eyebrows, wondering what is that grin for.

“Hen, I'm taking some with me for lunch over at Jackson's, the leftover share with the others if they wanna a bite.” Mark informed, earning a clear nod from his manager before he proceed to pack those cheesecakes before exiting his store.

Mark went ahead and invite himself into the building before heading straight to Jackson's office after greeting their usual receptionist.

He was ready to surprise the younger but was bumped when he realized the other wasn't there.

With no choice, he decided to just call but pause his every intention when he noticed Bambam exiting from what he assumed was his office, two doors away from Jackson's.

He looked at the younger who by now were staring at him before he approach Mark.

“Are you looking for Jackson?” Bambam asked with a small smile which confused Mark a little but he nodded, nonetheless.

“He is over at the meeting room with the others, we had gathered there for lunch and discussion.” Bambam informed which earned a quick nod from Mark who's still lost by the other sudden kindness towards him.

“I'm going now, excuse me.” Bambam excused himself, giving another smile before heading straight for the meeting room where the others are waiting for him.

The older decided to just trailed after Bambam before he arrived in front of the door, Mark take a deep breath before swinging the door open, instantly greeted by the very excited Youngjae.

“Mark hyung!” Youngjae squealed like a child before running up to his favourite hyung, welcoming the older with a bear hug.

Mark smiled at the younger, feeling glad that at least Youngjae make him feel welcome here especially after seeing how Jackson just look at him before returning to his files, no reaction to his appearance.

It was definitely something that even Jaebum, Bambam and Jinyoung could caught on, it really surprised them to see Jackson Wang without a reaction towards Mark, it just wasn’t him.

On the other hand, Jackson was battling with himself while wondering what Mark is doing here, he really don’t need the heart racing action here, he needs to concentrate on his work.

“I brought over some cheesecakes for everyone.” Mark exclaimed, ignoring the unresponsive younger before putting the box of dessert on the table and opening it for everyone to enjoy.

“Thank you, hyung.” Jaebum thanked on Jackson’s behalf before they started digging in even Bambam which makes Mark smile a bit at seeing the changes in the younger.

Seeing how everyone enjoying the dessert but not his Mandu, Mark pouted since the cheesecake failed to earn Jackson’s attention but he decided to just try a little harder, maybe the younger is mad or sulking over something.

He grabbed a piece from the box before trying to feed him but Jackson dodged which of course surprised even the others who are watching them.

“I don’t feel like eating.” Jackson exclaimed when he realized everyone is staring at him, judging him hard especially Youngjae for treating Mark like that.

Mark nodded slowly, still taken aback by Jackson’s action before he put down the cake and stayed quiet, not sure what to do next.

“Jacks, don’t you love cheesecake? If you aren’t eating, I’m gonna finish it all.” Jaebum purposely exclaimed after seeing how dejected Mark look, trying to steal the piece that  Mark hold earlier.

Jackson immediately slapped his hand away before picking up the piece and taking a bite out of it, there’s no way he gonna give Jaebum a chance to eat his piece that Mark pick out for him.

The older secretly smiled at seeing that childish side of Jackson that he missed, it just wasn’t like the other to treat him this way.

“Don’t you need to return to work?” Jackson asked, trying to control his heart after seeing Mark smiled, he need to sent the older away fast.

“Jackson hyung, he just arrived. Why are you chasing him away? Youngjae complained, pitying Mark at his stupid hyung  sudden change which he wasn’t really fond off.

“We still need to work, we don’t have time to be sitting around, chatting like this.” Jackson exclaimed seriously, coming out harsher than he expected.

“But…” Youngjae tried to reason but was cut by Mark who definitely didn’t want an argument to occur between this two because of him.
“It’s fine, Youngjae ah. I probably had disturbed you guys enough. I will see you later at home.” Mark exclaimed before directing the last bit to the younger beside him while feeling disappointed himself, why can’t  Jackson say something if he had something on his mind right now.

“I will be late, don’t wait for me.” Jackson exclaimed, eyes on the cheesecake instead since he can’t bear to look at that hurt expression on  Mark’s face

“Fine.” was Mark short reply before he got up and exit from the meeting room, trying to control his frustration towards everything, he seriously had enough of Jackson acting that way.

Meanwhile Jackson feel like crap for treating Mark that way but it’s the only to get away from the older while Jaebum just sighed, getting a gist at what’s going on with his best friend.

Jinyoung smiled, totally enjoying himself at watching the friction between the usually perfect pair, taking it has a chance to claim his Markie back.

Jaebum decided to just start on the discussion fast so that he can have a talk with the obviously distracted Jackson soon.

Their discussion ended in over an hour before they went back to their respective office except for Jaebum and Jackson.

“What do you want to talk about?” Jackson questioned, curious as to why Jaebum hold him back since he still have a lot of things to work on.

“Why are you treating Mark like that?” Jaebum asked, straight on since he knows there is no used in beating around the bushes with this topic.

“What d..” Jackson tried to avoid answering but was cut by his annoyed buddy instead.

“Don’t you dare say what do I mean? You know exactly what I mean,” Jaebum stated firmly which caused Jackson to sigh in defeat, knowing it was useless to hide the truth from the other.

“I feel guilty for not being there for him when he needed me the most. I feel like I failed him so badly.” Jackson confessed which just confused the other more since obviously he didn’t know what his best friend is referring too.

“What do you mean? Did something happened?” Jaebum questioned, causing Jackson to shared that horrible incident with Yugyeom excluding Mark’s past because he had no right to share it out in the open.

“That’s crazy, is he a stalker? Did you report him?” Jaebum exclaimed in shocked, can’t believe that Mark just go through such a horrible experience.

“Maybe and yes, I did reported him the next day. They did managed to track him down, I also managed to issued a restraining order against him.” Jackson informed, half-lying about the stalker part while Jaebum nodded, feeling relief that the situation is settled for now.

“I just can’t forgive myself especially after seeing those ugly bruises on him for days. If only I had stayed at home with him that day.” Jackson sighed, messing his hair in frustration while Jaebum could only pat his back, understanding his best friend’s frustration towards the incident.

“I understand, Jacks but you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. I’m sure Mark didn’t blame you or anything because nobody predicted that to happened. You are just hurting him by acting like this and you know he don’t deserve that.” Jaebum pointed out which Jackson knows was the truth, he just didn’t know how to deal with his heart right now.

“That isn’t just the only problem, I think my heart is dysfunctional.” Jackson exclaimed, looking straight at Jaebum who only smirked upon hearing those words, it’s about time this idiot realized his feelings for Mark.

 

+++++++++++++

 

“Are you sure? I can stay back and help you.” Henry questioned, worried about his boss that accepted a last minute birthday cake order which also mean he needs to work on it overnight since they needed it by tomorrow night.

“Don’t worry, it isn’t such a complicated order. I can handle it on my own, go ahead home.” Mark assured his manager since the older didn’t want to leave him all alone in the store, working on the order.

“Fine but if you need anything, give me a call.” Henry sighed in defeat, knowing how stubborn Mark can be at times before waving bye and exiting the store.

Upon his last staff leaving, Mark started working on closing the front store so that he can go ahead and focus on the order in the back kitchen soon, he knows that Henry wanted to reject the order earlier due to time constraint but he decided to just take it because he needs something to distract him from thinking about the annoying younger.

While he was clearing up, he heard the store front door opened which caused him to turn, thinking that it was a customer but only to be greeted by Jinyoung.

“We are close.” Mark exclaimed, ignoring the younger as he walked passed him and open the door for Jinyoung, signalling with his eyes to leave.

“Mark, can we talk?” Jinyoung asked, approaching closer to him before grabbing hold of his wrist, forcing Mark to face him.

“I said we are close, please leave.” Mark hissed before harshly pulling  away from his grip, trying to walk away but Jinyoung grabbed hold of him once again before trapping Mark against him and the counter nearby.

“I asked nicely, didn’t I? Don’t blame me if I get rough.” Jinyoung whispered, smirking at Mark’s taken aback expression before his eyes caught on a figure approaching the store.

“What do you want to talk about?” Mark asked, glaring at the amused Jinyoung while in his head, that horrible incident replayed again causing him to shake a bit.

“I don’t feel like talking now, Markie. I just wanna a taste of you.” Jinyoung whispered into his ear before grabbing hold of Mark’s neck, trying to force a kiss on the older but ended up being pushed away hard by Mark.

“What the hell are you doing?” Mark shouted in anger, he seriously had enough of people forcing themselves on him, he won’t let Jinyoung had his way with him today.

Unknown to Mark, Jackson were just right outside his store and had witness the whole thing through the glass window before he quickly step in after noticing how Mark’s body is shaking like that day.

“Dimsum.” Jackson called out, running towards the older before enveloping Mark straight into his embrace, trying to calm down the obviously pissed older.

Jinyoung laughed dryly at the scene happening right in front of him, how great it’s to be Jackson Wang receiving endless love and dedication from all his love interests.

“What is wrong with you, Jinyoung? Why can’t you just leave us, alone?” Jackson exclaimed, he seriously had enough of his ex best friend messing with his Dimsum, why can’t he just leave them alone.

“You wanna know what’s wrong with me? Fine, it’s all because of you. You took everyone that I love from me, be it Bambam before and even him now.It’s unfair, I loved Bambam first but you were the one that got to him first and even now, you were the one that my Markie got married too. You ruined my every chances.” Jinyoung hissed, letting go for the feelings that he had bottled up for years ago.

Jackson instantly feel guilty, he honestly didn’t know about Jinyoung liking Bambam all these while if he had known, he wouldn’t confessed to the Thai native and give Jinyoung that chance.

Meanwhile Mark feel like laughing hearing those words, it was Jinyoung’s speciality to guilt trip people anyway.

“I’m sor..” Jackson was about to apologized but Jinyoung cut him off, having enough of stupid Jackson Wang.

“Shut up, don’t act all nice.” Jinyoung barked before charging towards Jackson, throwing his fist towards him for a punch but end up flying to ground instead.

Jackson was stunned by the fact that Mark just sent his ex flying to the floor with just one heavy punch, leaving Jinyoung’s face with a ugly blue black bruise at the side of his mouth.

“Do you know how pathetic you are? He ruined your chances? Who are you kidding? You are just a pathetic cheating coward, that’s what you are. 

You were probably scared that you are gonna get rejected by Bambam that’s why you never confessed, you rather blame it at the fact he was taken away by your so called best friend. 

Even with me, you know that I’m planning to bring up marriage that’s why you decided to break up, you were scared at the idea of responsibility and commitment so you blame it on me for being not good enough for you. 

Did you ever tried listening and getting to know me for once and realized that I’m neither cold nor distant, I’m just shy and awkward that’s all, you didn’t because it has always been about you in our relationship. 

In reality, you know you are just a coward brat that thinks the whole world revolved around him and start complaining and blaming when he didn’t get what he wants.” Mark exclaimed, glaring at the younger who still seated on the ground with bleeding lips, eyes on everything else except for the couple in front of him.

“You heard enough, right? Now, get lost. Don’t ever appear in front of me again.” Mark continued harshly before walking away into his office at the back.

Jackson was speechless, he didn’t know what to do so he just watch the bleeding Jinyoung leaves the store in a frenzy, probably never stepping in here again.

The older soon reappeared with a set of keys before locking the front door while Jackson just stare at his movement, not knowing how to break the silence.

“What are you doing here?” Mark asked rather in a cold tone, not looking at Jackson as he walked back into the kitchen causing the lost younger to trail after him.

“Let me just ask you one thing, when was the last time that your heart was this dysfunctional?” Jaebum’s question replayed in Jackson’s head as he watches Mark working, he clearly knows the reason why his heart is acting out now.

“I’m here to apologized for the last few days.” Jackson nervously exclaimed as he got closer to the busy Mark who just ‘hummed in reply, not saying anything else.

“Are you mad at me?” Jackson asked, seeing how Mark acting like as if he is invisible, ignoring his very presence at the moment.

“Should I? I don’t know.” Mark replied, eyes still on his batter for the cake while Jackson internally winced at the clear sarcasticness in his tone.

“Mark, please. Don’t do this to me, I won’t treat you like that again.” Jackson pouted, tugging on Mark’s t-shirt like a child which almost caused Mark to melt but he still put up a strong front, the younger deserve a longer punishment for messing with him.

“Let go, I’m busy.” Mark hissed, purposely slapping that hand away before moving around to work on his cake while Jackson sighed in frustration, he can’t handle the older ignoring him any longer.

He decide to sneak from the back before wrapping his arms around Mark’s waist, surprising the older a bit at the sudden contact before he turn the other to face him, staring straight into that pair of  beautiful eyes.

“Jack..son..” Mark croaked out, overwhelmed by the way Jackson’s looking at him like that, it’s making him blush at the loving gaze his getting from the younger.

“Tuan Yi En, won’t you stay by my side forever?” Jackson whispered, smiling sweetly at the lost Mark who wasn’t sure what the younger actually meant.

Jackson chuckled seeing the poor lost older before locking their lips into a short but sweet kiss, a surprise look on Mark’s face when he pulled away from the unexpected kiss.

“Let’s make this marriage real, Dimsum.” Jackson exclaimed, resting his forehead against Mark’s who finally understand what the younger meant.

“You won’t regret being tied down to me your whole life?” Mark asked, looking at Jackson straight in the eyes while trying to find the assurance in the younger’s eyes.

“How can I when you are the best thing that ever happened to me?” Jackson replied before gently  placing a kiss on Mark’s forehead causing tears to drip down Mark’s cheeks, those words just make him feel valued and appreciated especially after all the bad relationships he went through in the past.

“Thank you, Mandu.” Mark thanked, smiling in tears as he pulled the younger in for a tight hug while Jackson just nodded, knowing clearly that indeed Mark Tuan has already taken his heart away without a warning.

 

A/N: Hi! I'm back again with the 2nd last chapter. How do you guys like it, next chapter will be the last. Hope you guys enjoy it so far and like always, please share with me your thoughts on the chapter :) Also to all my muslims readers, happy ramadan ~
 

BIG THANKS TO akidany FOR SUBSCRIBING! 
 

<3 InfinitelyCassie