Chapter 8

Strangers At Heart

Chapter 8

"Pitter-patter, pitter-patter"

Jackson sighed as he look out of the window, rain starting to pour and it's only eight in the morning, what a gloomy start for the day.

Thinking about gloomy, his thoughts run off to Mark since the older has been down and rather gloomy since Yugyeom's appearance a few days ago.

Even if he is quite disturbed by what he witnessed that day, Jackson didn't question anything because it seems like the older had a lot in his mind right now and he didn't want to contribute  anymore to problems that already existed.

Jackson checked his outfit once more in the mirror, making sure he look fine before exiting their bedroom and headed for the dining area for breakfast.

As he climbed down the stairs, he could clearly see Mark seated at the table, zoning off in front of their readied breakfast which was a stack of blueberry pancakes and two cups of hot chocolate that they love.

"Morning." Jackson greeted the older, slipping in on the seat beside Mark who responded with a soft 'morning' before putting two pieces of pancakes on his plate.

"Aren't you eating?" Jackson frowned when he saw the older pushed his empty plate aside and slowly sipped on his hot chocolate instead.

"I don't really have the appetite, you go ahead or you will be late." Mark replied, smiling weakly at the worried younger after checking the time.

Jackson nodded, obviously getting really worried about Mark because he seems really paler and out of it since he returned back from work yesterday.

He had finished work earlier yesterday so he had planned on cooking dinner just for a change but was surprised to see that Mark was already home, looking distracted as ever.

When he asked the older, he just answered that he wasn’t feeling well and had taken a half day to rest up at home.

Jackson didn’t really think much of it at first because he knows that Mark could use some rest but right now, he can’t help to wonder what is happening actually to the other.

By the time he was done with breakfast, Mark was still zoning out beside him which caused Jackson to nudged him.

“Are you feeling better? Do you want to go to the doctor? I can take leave today to accompanied you if you want.” Jackson asked, holding Mark’s left hand in his before looking at the other straight in the eyes.

“Don’t worry, I will just rest well today. I already call in sick so I have the whole day to rest.” Mark assured, knowing clearly Jackson is worried about him but he doesn’t feel right to share the Yugyeom situation with him and rather deal with it by himself.

Jackson sighed, if he can say one thing that he learned about Mark after almost two months together was the fact that he never wants to share his pains or problems with anyone and rather deal with it alone.

“Fine but promise me, if anything please call me. Don’t deal with it alone.” Jackson exclaimed, a small smile makes it’s way on Mark’s face, it feel good to have someone worrying and fussing over him for once.

In his past relationships, he was always the one fussing and worrying due to the fact he was the older one in the relationship, he was always the one working hard to keep the relationship going because he believe that he needs to work extra hard due to the fact he always seems cold or distance but in reality, he just didn’t know how to express himself well, be it in words or actions.

“Yes, Mandu. Now hurry up or you will be late.” Mark nodded, getting up from his seat to walk the younger to the front door.

“Rest well, see you later.” Jackson said, squeezing Mark’s hand before putting on his shoes, ready to walk out of the door.

“Do you want me to send you to the car?” Mark asked after realizing it’s pouring quite a bit, he was about to grabbed an umbrella from the closet nearby.

“Don’t worry, I had this on for a reason.” Jackson assured, putting his hood on before grinning at Mark like a proud child which caused the other to give a thumbs up.

“Remember, call me if there is anything.” Jackson reminds, quickly pecking the unexpected Mark on the forehead before running off with red cheeks, not even waiting for the older reaction.

Mark chuckled at the ball of cuteness running off, it was at times like this he feels grateful for Jackson’s existence in his life because the younger let him experience all the things  that he thought that he doesn’t deserve to experience.

After Jackson drive off, Mark closes the door before heading for their room, he forces himself to sleep just because if he doesn’t, his thoughts will drift off to Yugyeom and he had enough of the younger at least for now.

It was almost lunch when he was awaken by his phone ringing on the bed stand, with eyes still half close he reached out for the device before answering it.

“Boss, how are you feeling today?” Henry’s voice was heard, it seems the older had called in to check on his younger boss.

“Better, I guess. How is everything there?” Mark asked as he got up into a sitting position, noticing at how the sunlight was shining brightly through from the window, the rain had stopped.

“Good. We had all the orders readied, just waiting for them to pick up.” Henry replied which earned a proud nod from Mark even though his manager can’t see it.

“How about him?” Mark asked after remembering about the younger who had been watching him these last few days.

“He isn’t here today, I didn’t spot him so far.” Henry answered, knowing clearly who Mark meant especially after witnessing at how Yugyeom so how force himself into the back kitchen with a creepy smile,  just to see his boss.

Mark sighed, he didn’t know how to feel about this because he knows Yugyeom well, he isn’t someone that would gives up that easily until he get what he wants.

Truthfully, Mark had enough of hiding from Yugyeom the last few days where the younger had spend all day watching him from his car, outside his store.

Even so, he had somehow managed to avoid bumping into the younger and the craziness that comes with it but things took a turn yesterday when he suddenly walked into the store, asking for him and when Henry claimed that Mark wasn’t in, Yugyeom barged into the personnel area while calling out his name, it did cause a chaos for a while especially in the kitchen but his manager somehow managed to dragged him out of there with a warning that he will call the police on him if he doesn’t leave.

Mark who was hiding the whole time in his office decided it’s best to leave the store, he had enough of the madness.

“Don’t you think you should tell Jackson? That guy aren’t a joke, he might hurt you.” Henry asked after he realize the silent pause, he don’t think it save for Mark to face everything alone.

Honestly, Mark did want to share this problem with Jackson because he doesn’t feel good about keeping something from the younger but at the same time, he didn’t want to trouble him with his own past.

“Well, think about it. I’m hanging up now.” Henry sighed before ending the call with his boss, he really hope Mark shared it with his husband for once because Jackson deserve to know what is going on.

Mark thinks hard after that call before deciding that it’s best to tell Jackson after all because if anything happens to him, the younger wouldn’t be at lost about him.

He slowly step out of bed before heading for the shower after realizing he broke out in cold sweats in his sleep, he was definitely falling sick at this rate thanks to Kim Yugyeom like always.

+++++++++++++

Jackson sighed, hands fiddling with his phone, wondering if Mark is doing fine at home.

“Jacks, did you hear what I said?” Jaebum questioned his friend beside him who has been very distracted since morning.

Huh? No, sorry.” Jackson apologized, trying to focus back on the discussion they currently having on their latest project.

“I asked if you will be ok with working overtime today?” Jaebum explained after sharing a look with his boyfriend, wondering what is wrong to his buddy today.

Honestly, Jackson is in a dilemma because he knows that this project means a lot to them but at the same time he can’t help but to worried about Mark back home.

He looks at the stares he is getting from the others including Bambam and Jinyoung, still trying to decide.

“Jacks, is something wrong? You had been distracted the whole day.” Jaebum asked, he couldn’t help to be worried seeing Jackson just seems so out of it today.

“Actually, Mark is sick back home, I can’t stop worrying about him.” Jackson confessed, knowing that his behaviour today had disrupted the others concertation on work.
Jaebum smiles upon hearing Jackson’s words, it means that Mark had literally make a mark in Jackson’s heart and he bet it’s gonna be permanent.

“Go ahead, I will mail you the details later so you can work from home .” Jaebum exclaimed, knowing that keeping the other here won’t help with the progress of their project especially when he is that distracted.

“Are you sure?” Jackson questioned, feeling bad as he looked at the others before he earned nods from Jaebum and Youngjae while Bambam & Jinyoung just keep quiet, avoiding his eyes.

“Thank you guys, anything just update me.” Jackson thanked his friends before grabbing his belonging and exiting the meeting room, making sure he texted the older about him on the way home.

Back at the villa, Mark was resting on the couch while flipping through the channel after he had forced himself to finish up a piece of pancake earlier, knowing that he needs to fill up his stomach with something.

As he finally settle for a music show, his phone suddenly beeps signalling a text that just come in which instantly caused him to check the device.

From: Jackson

I’m on the way home, see you soon.

Mark smiles upon reading the short text, he definitely could use some company after spending more that half of a day alone, sick and annoyed.

He quickly typed a ‘see you’ before sending it, he then realize that he hadn't cooked anything today for him nor Jackson so he quickly headed for the kitchen and look through the fridge for ingredients.

Mark finally settled on a simple chicken porridge since there wasn’t much ingredients left and he wasn’t in the mood to eat anything heavier than that, he just hopes the younger is fine with that.

The moment  he turn off the fire, their doorbell rang which instantly caught Mark’s attention since Jackson usually let himself in, rarely rings the bell.

He looked at the clock, noticing that half an hour as pass since the text so he quickly get to door, passing it off as the younger forgets his key this morning.

As Mark swings the door open, the small smile he had on for Jackson immediately falls as he stares at the figure whose smirking in front of him.

Mark was immediately on guard as he quickly tries to close the door but failed when the younger stop the door with his legs before kicking it, sending Mark falling backwards.

Yugyeom smirked at the horrified older, liking the sight before he closes the door behind him and approach Mark who by now was up on his feet, backing away while watching the younger.

“Where were you, Markie? I had spent days looking for you to play.” Yugyeom questioned, whispering into Mark’s ears as he pinned the older  to the wall that he backen on.

“Yugyeom, please. Let’s talk nicely.” Mark exclaimed calmly, knowing clearly he is not in a condition to fight the obviously stronger younger at this moment.

“I don’t wanna talk, Markie. I want to play.” Yugyeom replied, taking in the older scent as one of his hand finds it way into Mark’s shirt, freaking the older out.

“What are you doing?” Mark hissed in disgust, pushing Yugyeom away with every single ounce of energy he had left before running away for the living room area, focusing on getting his phone to call Jackson.

When he finally could spot the device on the coffee table, Mark reached out for it to but Yugyeom was faster, he had the device in his hold before Mark could.

“Who are you going to call, Markie? Your beloved husband?” Yugyeom snickered, smirking before he smashed the device to the floor while Mark didn’t wait, he tried running for exit but he was eventually caught by Yugyeom.

“Markie, you are misbehaving. You need to be punished.” Yugyeom hissed in his ear as he hold him in his embrace, eating Mark with his devilish eyes.

“Yugyeom, please. Don’t do this to me, I’m no longer yours.” Mark begged, he didn’t know what to do anymore especially with the fact that his stuck in this villa with the other.

Yugyeom laughed dryly like as if his words were a joke before dragging the struggling Mark towards the couch and throwing him on it.

“I’m sure you don’t want your husband to know about us, right Markie?” Yugyeom questioned as he seated himself beside the quiet Mark who was just sitting there, shocked as he think about the other’s words.

“If he knows about us, about how filthy you were?” Yugyeom smirked as he got closer to the zoning out older before pinning the unaware older down on the couch.

“If you don’t want me to tell him, behave.” Yugyeom warned before he forced a kiss on Mark who tried freeing himself but failed, feeling like a fool for being so weak against his past.

Yugyeom smirked in satisfaction as he pulled away, tasting those lips again makes him addicted to it again like old times.

Mark stared at the younger in disgust, wriggling himself out of Yugyeom’s hold once again but it was no use, he already used up most of his energy today.

“Aww, your burning up, Markie. Excited?” Yugyeom teased like the jerk he was, his hands caressing Mark’s face as he watches the older squirm under his touch, enjoying every bit of it while Mark would have punch him if his hands were free from his hold.

Meanwhile, Jackson had just arrived in front the villa, he quickly parked his car beside Mark’s before exiting with the bag of medicines that he had gotten for Mark from the pharmacy earlier on during his drive home.

When he tried to unlock the front door, Jackson realized it wasn’t locked which instantly got him worried and as he swings the door open, he could hear a familiar faint voice repeating, ‘stop it’.

Jackson immediately run towards the voice source which caused the bag in his hold to drop as he watches Yugyeom pinning Mark on the couch, trying to taste his collarbones.

“Jackson.” Mark called out weakly when he noticed the younger causing Yugyeom to turned and looked at the shocked other, smirking.

It feels like as if a volcano erupted in him as he watches that smirk before he approached and throw a punch towards Yugyeom who instantly fell off the couch.

“Dimsum.” Jackson whispered when he realized Mark was shaking with tear stained face on the couch, he quickly pulled the other into his embrace while eyes glaring at the amused younger on the floor.

Yugyeom smiles at the sappy ‘reunion’ scene in front  of him before wiping his bleeding lips, getting himself back on his feet.

“Aww, Markie. It seems like I had to tell him about us.” Yugyeom exclaimed, secretly threatening Mark who at this point doesn’t care anymore, all he knows that he is save in Jackson’s arm.

Jackson looked at the shaken up Mark in his arms, eyes questioning on what the younger meant.

“Go ahead, I don’t care.” Mark croaked out, challenging Yugyeom while the younger just laughed at his sudden self confident.

“Fine, if you want to know Jackson hyung, your beloved husband here used to be my precious toy and I am his first love. Interesting isn’t it, how he becomes my toy?” Yugyeom exclaimed, amused by Jackson shocked look before he turn and look at the quiet Mark.

“He was blindly in love with me that he gave me his everything, even himself. You could say I’m his first in everything, he is pretty much a second hand item. I’m sure you don’t want a used toy so why don’t you return him back to me?” Yugyeom said, smiling at seeing how pissed Jackson is as one of his hand turned into a fist.

Jackson knows that it waste to continue facing Yugyeom, this kid seems to have a ‘problem’ that he obviously can’t deal with so he pulled out his phone from his jeans pocket.

“No, your offer is rejected and now, I want you out of my house or I’m calling the police.” Jackson warned which just caused Yugyeom to smirked, somehow challenging Jackson.

“You dare?” Yugyeom challenged while Jackson just smirked before dialing which almost instantly caused the younger to flee the scene in withwins seconds.

Jackson sighed in relief when he saw Yugyeom running out, he will make sure to report the younger no matter what because letting him free like that will definitely cause harm to Mark.

He slowly seated Mark on the couch before going to lock their front door while Mark just watches Jackson’s movement.

The younger soon returned with the bag of medicines, noticing how the older was burning up when he was in his hold earlier.

“I got you some medicines, let me get you a drink.” Jackson exclaimed softly before getting up again but Mark grabbed on to his wrist, stopping him.

“Please, stay by my side for now.” Mark whispered weakly causing Jackson to turn, staring at the pale older who look like he will pass out anytime soon.

Mark knows that they shared nothing except this marriage but he really needs Jackson’s warmness now to feel secure and protected again.

The younger could only nod at Mark’s request as he seated himself back down with the older resting on his chest, Mark’s fresh tears staining his hoodie and at that moment he feel so useless, he failed to protect the older.

Jackson could only hold Mark tighter as the older sobbed away, the sound breaking Jackson’s heart with every second passing by.

It took over an hour for the older to finally calmed down and Jackson wiping all his tears away with his thumb, smiling weakly at Mark who's staring at him.

“Yugyeom, he is a childhood friend of mine since our families is close. He was also my first love, I fell for his bubbly and sweet personality even though he is younger. When we first started dating, things were lovely but it soon took a turn when the other side of him decided to come out and play.” Mark started slowly, knowing that he owned Jackson an explanation especially after all that.

“What do you mean?” Jackson asked as he took Mark’s hands in his, squeezing it to calmed down the older who's definitely tensed up talking about his past.

“He slowly turned into this monster behind close door, he became abusive when I won’t listen to him and he won’t work even after graduating, which cause me to support his living expenses. At times, he will even force himself on me when he come back drunk after partying all night with his friends. 

He was the most perfect boyfriend in front of people but away from their eyes, he was just a monster treating me like his personal slave. It was hell for me but I endured because I loved him. I finally had enough when he used me to place bets with his friends, I ended everything with him after four years of being together before running away to Korea, here to start anew.” Mark finished off, glad that he could finally let his horrible past off his chest and shared it with Jackson.

Jackson just nodded, he couldn’t said anything but only feel guilty for not being there for Mark earlier, if only he didn’t go to work just now than this wouldn’t happen especially after noticing the ugly bruising on Mark’s arms and lips.

“Come, let me treat your bruises.” Jackson exclaimed before they both climbed up the stairs, towards their bedroom where the younger had kept their first aid kit in the bathroom drawer.

Mark secretly smiles as he watches Jackson gently treating his bruises, he was super grateful that Jackson managed to stopped Yugyeom in time or he might be taken advantage off again like in the past.

 

A/N: Hello, I know that I said I won't be updating this week but since I got some free time, I decided to just update for you guys. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter even though Mark got hurt but at least Jackson saved him in time. Like always, please share with me your thoughts on the chapter :)

BIG THANKS alexia_pcy, SeobieLub, viennasong0503, MirandaB123, imgonnawin, MrsDiva05, thelittleshawol, TigerTaib, kpopistheeeeb2st, willie150, icanthinkofanything and FearlessBunny FOR SUBSCRIBING! 

<3 InfinitelyCassie