Chapter 1

Strangers At Heart

Chapter 1

 

“Let’s break up.”

Mark stared at the other, still trying to process what he just heard without dropping the bowl of soup in his hand.

“Mark, let's break up. I'm tired of us.”

"No..we can't..." Mark's mind screamed but his body was frozen, not even moving an inch.

"I'm done, Tuan. I'm out." Jinyoung sighed, tired of seeing how the older just stood there, emotionlessly even after hearing those words.

As Jinyoung was about to step out of their apartment, he could only hear a short word that sounded colder than ever.

"Why?" Mark managed to asked, as he slowly turned to face Jinyoung who's still facing the main door.

"I'm sick of you being you. It's been three years but you never change, still as distant as ever. I don't deserve this, I deserve someone better." Jinyoung said, turning to look at the older once more before making his exit, slamming the door shut.

The bowl in Mark's hold dropped as reality hits that Park Jinyoung will never walk through that door again, he loses the only person that loved him for him.

"Of course, a guy like me." Mark chuckled bitterly before moving by the window when he catch a glimpse of his love being picked up by someone.

Mark's heart throbbed as he watches that someone greeted his Jin with a soft peck on the lips before they enter the car and drive off.

"At the end, I could only blame myself." Mark muttered to nobody while trying to wipe those tears streaming down his cheeks non-stop, his heart already crushed into million pieces.

He knows that a guy like him don't deserve to love anyone especially when he even had trouble expressing himself, he will just be a pain to anyone.

Mark knows that fact pretty well but still he ended up falling for Jinyoung three years ago, thinking that love could make the younger accept his flaws but in the end, he was left behind again.

That night Mark cried himself to sleep pathetically, hugging the giant teddy bear that Jinyoung got him during their hundredth days celebration.

+++++++++++++

Jackson smiled in relieved when he managed to safely brought his parents down from Hong Kong for his special day tomorrow.

“Gaga.” Mrs Wang called out to her son, excited just by the sight of the beautifully decorated wedding hall.

“Yes, Ma.” Jackson answered immediately, proud that he managed to get every preparation readied for their wedding without his baby’s help since it’s a surprise for him.

“I’m so proud of you, everything is done so beautifully.” Mrs Wang praised her son while Mr Wang nodded, definitely proud of his boy.

“Thank you, Ma.” Jackson thanked his parents before pulling them into a group hug, couldn’t be any happier that they are here to witness the happiest day of his life.

After their hug, Jackson brought his parents over to the suite that he had reserved for them to rest from the jet lag  since the wedding is gonna take place at this five star hotel hall so all his guests was given a room if needed.

“Jackson.” Jaebum, a good friend of Jackson from college called out when he saw the other finished talking to one of the hotel manager at the lobby.

“Hey, JB. It’s good to be back.” Jackson greeted back, hugging his buddy before they both decided to chat over at the seating area in one corner of the lobby.

“How’s Bam? Did he got back safely yesterday?” Jackson asked, worried about his baby since it’s almost been a week since they last saw each other.

Around last week, both of them had decided to returned back home to Thailand and Hong Kong respectively to bring their family over for their wedding.

Bambam was scheduled to return a day before him with his family.

He met his love through high school including their best friend Jinyoung, they were practically inseparable. It’s always the three of them no matter where they go but of course the fact that they are both foreigners makes the bond between them extra special and over the years it grows into love.

If you would had ask Jackson eight years ago, if he would imagine marrying the other, he would probably said no but now, he couldn’t even live without his baby Bam.

“The thing is he didn’t arrived back, yesterday.” Jaebum stated, watching slowly as his best friend’s expression turned panicky.

“What? What happened?” Jackson questioned, hastily pulling his phone from his jeans pocket before dialing the number he knows by heart.

Every call was transferred to voicemail but Jackson didn’t stop, he dialed it over and over again.

 “It’s no use, I been trying since yesterday evening.” Jaebum exclaimed, stopping his best friend who getting really worried about everything.

“What about Jinyoung? He accompanied Bam, right?” Jackson asked, remembering that he sent his best friend off to accompanied his love back home.

“I couldn’t get through him, either.” Jaebum replied, thinking about how to break the big possibility to his buddy, he didn’t had the heart to say it out especially not at this moment.

Jackson sighed, feeling helpless about the situation since he don’t know what’s going on.

“Let’s wait until tonight, in the meantime I will try to track down his home number. You go ahead and get some rest.” Jaebum assured his friend which cause Jackson to nod after mouthing a ‘thank you’.

+++++++++++++

Mark stare in envious at the cake that he just finished decorating for a wedding over at the Seoul Oriental Hotel, tomorrow.

“Boss, it’s gorgeous!” A female staff of his exclaimed, wowed by the glorious two tiered wedding cake.

Mark smile in relived hearing the compliment before ordering the staffs to keep that cake well in their big cake freezer.

He took a seat in his office, resting himself well after two days working on that particular special request but it was worth it, the result was simply gorgeous.

Mark’s family actually owns a chain of high class restaurants and bistro back in the States, the Tuan family was indeed well known in the gourmet world especially.

He, himself had set up his own wedding cakes and catering services around five years ago and he likes how he had work hand in hand with his staffs without putting the employer and employee line in between them.

Mark never really tell anyone including Jinyoung about his business nor family background since he prefered to be just, Mark Tuan.

That was why he come to Korea in the first place, to get away from the spotlight for being the genius patissier from the honourable Tuan family.

As his thoughts get to Jinyoung, he wounder how the younger had been this past week because it has been horrible for him.

He wanted to forget everything and erase the pain but it wasn’t easy especially when every single thing around him reminds him of the other.

“Boss, are you going to help out with tomorrow’s event?” Henry, his trusty manager asked, taking a seat opposite of him while eyeing the tired out younger.

“Sure. It’s not like I having anything on.” Mark replied after being pull out from his own trail of thoughts, smiling at his manager who just nodded in return because he clearly knows what the younger meant.

He couldn’t do much for Mark but he hoped that his wonderful boss will find someone that can love him for who he is.

+++++++++++++

Jackson rolled around in bed, trying to get some sleep but it was impossible especially when it’s almost midnight and he still hasn’t get any news about Bambam nor Jinyoung.

Sighing, he decided to head over to JB’s room and see if he is still awake to chat or anything, he just need something to get his mind off the whole situation for a while.

“Hey Jacks, can’t sleep?” Jaebum questioned worriedly when he open his door to a zombify Jackson.

Jackson shook his head before inviting himself in, greeted by the sight of Youngjae snacking on the couch.

“Hey, why aren’t you asleep?” Youngjae questioned, surprised to see his friend over at their room at this timing.

Jackson just waved off the younger question before plopping himself down on one of the two single bed in that room.

“JB, you still didn’t get anything?” Jackson muttered, sighing as he stare at his best friend who already took seat at the other bed, watching him.

“No, Jacks.” Jaebum answered, hoping that he could share a good news with the other too but sadly, there hasn’t be any signs nor news of especially Bambam returning for the wedding.

While Jackson was busy mopping at his current situation on what seems like Youngjae’s bed, the phone in his jeans pocket suddenly vibrated, signalling a text that just come in.

He quickly pulled out the device before a huge smile appeared on his face when he saw the name that sended him that text, he quickly open it and slowly his smile disappeared once more as he reads it.

From: Baby Bam

I’m sorry but I can’t go through with this wedding.
My feelings has changed, I can’t be with you any longer.
I’m sorry, Jackson.
I really am.

Jackson immediately dialed that number again, hoping that his love would pick up and said that it was just a joke but no, all he heard was voicemail.

“Jacks.” Jaebum called out when he saw the phone slipping out of his best friend's hold, meanwhile Youngjae plopped himself beside the shocked individual before taking the device and reading the text.

Youngjae almost cursed after seeing that freaking text, how dare Bambam do this to especially Jackson, the guy that could even die for him.

Just from seeing both of their reaction, Jaebum had a feel to what the content is but still he took the device from the younger before sighing at what he reads.

“Jacks, I know this is not the time but I think he and Jiny..” Jaebum tried to revealed his suspicions but Jackson cut him off before he could which left him, speechless.

“I know, they had been together for quite a while now. I just didn’t say anything to anyone.” Jackson exclaimed, smiling bitterly at his two friends who didn’t know how to react to this.

“I’m stupid, right? I caught them in my own apartment almost two years ago but I was too scared to lose him that I just pretended that day never happened and now, here I am without a partner on my wedding day.” Jackson continued, weakly chuckling at his own stupidity without realizing tears was streaming down his cheeks.

Jaebum and Youngjae was stunned, they didn’t know that Jackson kept such a huge pain with him all these time while keeping that smile on his face.

Jaebum quickly got up, taking a seat at the other side of Jackson before rubbing circles on his back as tears continue to fall while Youngjae grabbed hold of his hand before squeezing it, reassuring Jackson that they are there for him.

After a while, Jackson finally calmed down before thanking them both of being there, the duo smiled in relief.

“Then, what are you going to do? The wedding?” Youngjae asked as he went to grabbed a bottle of water for Jackson from the bar fridge.

“Cancel it?” Jaebum suggested, seeing that the only option since the so called ‘bride’ is missing from this wedding.

“I can’t. Mom’s condition will worsen if she finds out about this. I can’t risk her health.” Jackson disagreed because his Mom will definitely faint if she heard this news, the fact that her son was dumped on his wedding day.

Jaebum slowly nodded, forgetting about the fact that Mrs Wang just went through a surgery recently so she rather in a very delicate condition right now, Jackson couldn’t risk anything.

“I will discuss with Pa first thing, tomorrow morning. Just pray hard that I can figure out something before the wedding starts at four.” Jackson exclaimed, trying his best to focus on his current situation rather than his broken heart.

+++++++++++++

Mark was busy helping his staffs arranging the display for their foods and desserts at the wedding hall when Henry came running in with a bad news.

“Mark, there is a problem with the puffs.” Henry informed before dragging his boss to the area where they are unloading the desserts from their van to the chiller prepared in the hotel kitchen area.

“I did a final taste check just now and the custard cream tasted weird.”Henry commented as he passed a piece of the puff to Mark who immediately taste it.

Indeed, the filling tasted sour and weird but it was only made yesterday evening so how could it got bad that fast.

“Do we have anything to replaced this?” Mark asked, knowing it’s impossible to redo all the cream puffs due to lack of time and manpower.

“Yes, I think we have the mini cupcakes that we got readied yesterday night for tomorrow charity fair.” Henry replied, checking the notebook that he used to jotted down everything that they produced each day.

“Good, get someone to pick them up. We will think up of something quick and simple for the fair later.” Mark decided, earning a clear nod from his Manager before he called out one of the staffs with that order.

“Do you think we should update the client? He did specifically asked for the cream puffs.” Henry asked once he was done giving out the order, looking at his boss.

“I will talk to him as the owner, do you know where he is?” Mark asked, since he wasn’t the one that took this client’s order, it was Henry so he didn’t know how the other party looked like.

Henry nodded before dragging his boss to the lobby area and pointing towards two figures chatting at the seating area.

"You see the younger one, the one in black tee and blue jeans. He is our client, Jackson Wang." Henry informed, earning a sharp nod from Mark before he went ahead to approach his client.

As he got closer, he noticed that the conversation going on between the two was in mandarin, something that is rare to him.

Thanks to the language, Mark couldn't stop himself from eavesdropping the conversation that he realised was between his client and his dad.

“Pa, I’m really sorry that this happened. I didn’t expect him to do this to me.” Jackson apologized after telling his father about the whole situation.

“Gaga, don’t apologize. You did nothing wrong, he was the one that dumped you on your wedding day. He is the one that should be sorry.” Mr Wang comforted his son, utterly disappointed at the person that had the heart to do this to his only son.

Jackson sighed, he feel useless for letting his father go through such pain, if his mother finds out, it will be another whole story.

“What should we do about Ma, Pa? She can’t find out about this, especially not in that fragile and weak state of hers. She might just go into relapse again.” Jackson exclaimed, messing with his hair in frustration thinking about his mother weak heart condition.

“We have no choice, son unless you can come with something to explain this whole mess.” Mr Wang said, patting his son’s back while thinking that they are already at a dead end, his wife will find out sooner or later.

“I will, Pa. Don’t worry, just distract her for now because she has been asking to see Bambam since dinner, yesterday. I will make sure that she won’t find out about this.” Jackson decided, knowing that he won’t risk his mom’s health because of a Kunpimook Bhuwakul.

Mr Wang nodded, patting his son back before excusing himself when he saw his wife exiting the ladies, thinking of ways to distract her for now like his son requested.

Jackson smile sadly, watching his mom talking animatedly with his dad as they head towards the garden area.

While caught in his own thoughts, he felt a pair of eyes watching him which caused him to turn to his right, instantly greeted with a stunningly good looking male staring at him.

“I’m sorry.” Mark blurted out, apologizing in english when their eyes meet and he realized that has been staring at the charming male in front of him.

“How can a person like him got dumped on his wedding day?” Mark questioned in his head after hearing about his client current situation.

“Do you need something from me?” Jackson questioned back in perfect english, approaching Mark who's taken aback at his perfect accent.

He didn’t even realized that he had used english to apologized until the male in front of him responded back.

“Jackson Wang, right?” Mark questioned, which earned a clear nod from the lost other who somehow finding him rather familiar.

“I’m from Moonlight Catering. I’m here to talk about the change in the dessert menu.We have some problem with the cream puffs that you requested so we are replacing it with mini red velvet cupcakes. Are you fine with it, sir?” Mark enquired like planned, trying his best to focus on the topic rather than think about his client’s problem.

“Sure,” Jackson replied, nodding as he don’t have any problem with it since the person that he requested that cream puffs for isn’t even here to start off with.

Mark nodded, bowing before excusing himself but Jackson pause his every intention to walk away.

“I’m not sure but by any chance are you Jinyoung’s boyfriend?” Jackson questioned after realizing why the other seems familiar, he saw a picture of the other with Jinyoung on his so called best friend phone screen before.

Mark was surprised by the mention of Jinyoung since he find the other familiar too, like as if he saw him before.

“Yes, ex-boyfriend to be exact though, We broke up last week. Are you Jacks, his best friend?” Mark replied after remembering about the time he saw a picture of the three friends in high school uniform and asked Jinyoung about the other two, his best friends.

“I guess, you can say that.” Jackson replied, clearly unsure of their friendship after what happened yesterday.

Mark could clearly hear the doubt and disappointment in Jackson’s tone which make him wonder if the mess his client going through had anything to do with his ex.

“I don’t mean to be nosy but I overheard your conversation with your dad and I’m starting to wonder if Jinyoung had anything to do with it.” Mark questioned, something out of his usual behaviour but right now there is a feeling that bugging him, telling him that the person that picked up his Jin last week is connected to Jackson.

“What do you mean?” Jackson questioned back, getting the feeling that the other might know something he don’t.

Mark go on to tell him about the person that picked up his ex and how the person seems like the very same person he saw in the high school graduation picture with Jackson and Jinyoung.

Jackson almost couldn’t believe what he just heard, if what the other said was true then they both were literally dumped and betrayed by their own boyfriend.

He quickly pulled out his phone before opening a picture of Bambam and showing it to the other who slowly nodded, confirming his conclusion.

“Is he the on..” Mark tried to confirmed but end up cutting his own words when he saw a heavy nod from Jackson as he plopped him down on the nearby sofa.

“He dumped me over text.” Jackson muttered, running his hand through his hair while Mark couldn't help but feel pity for his client, it’s obvious that Jackson don’t deserve this.

“I don’t understand, how could they do this to us? What about today? I can’t cancel this wedding.” Jackson rambled in frustration, his slowly losing his sanity over the whole situation.

Mark stares at Jackson, totally understanding the internal conflicts his going through and with a wedding happening a few hours away, it wasn’t really helping.

Thinking about how Jackson’s parents having to go through such pain and shame because of two irresponsible individuals makes him angry, they were messing with people’s life like as if it’s fun and games.

“Should I find a replacement? Will Mom buy it though?” Jackson muttered out, loud enough for Mark to hear as he tries to figure out a way.

“All you need is a replacement, right?” Mark suddenly questioned, not understanding why he even question that in the first place.

“I guess.” Jackson replied, unsure after seeing the determination in the other’s eyes.

“Fine, I will help you out.” Mark offered, looking at Jackson who's freaking out at his sudden offer, after all it’s not everyday you hear some stranger offering to be your replacement ‘wife’.

While Jackson still trying to wrap his mind around that offer, his phone vibrated again signaling a text which he immediately opened once he check the device.

From: JB

Jacks, we can’t hold her back any longer. She kept asking about her son in law to your dad and me. We tried but it’s no use, she is heading your way. Good luck.

Before he could even sigh at the text, his mother voice was heard before she appeared with his dad, Jaebum and Youngjae in tow.

“Ma.” Jackson exclaimed, flustered by his mother appearance before quickly standing up to greet her.

“Gaga, everybody won’t let me see my son in law. Where is he?” Mrs Wang questioned straight away, finding it odd that everyone is distracting her from the son in law topic since yesterday.

“Isn’t it bad luck to see him before the wedding?” Jackson exclaimed, trying to buy himself some time to come out with either an excuse or explanation.

“Silly boy, that’s for you not me. I’m his mother in law, of course I can see him.” Mrs Wang replied, shaking her head at her son silliness while Jackson broke into cold sweat while eyeing the trio behind his mom for help.

While waiting for her son’s next set of words, her eyes caught on to the handsome figure beside her son who's looking at her quietly.

“Who is this, Gaga?” Mrs Wang questioned her son, attracted to the boy beside Jackson.

Jackson didn’t know what to say, cat caught his tongue at this point.

“I’m sorry it took me a while to introduce myself to you, Mr and Mrs Wang. I am your son’s partner, Mark Tuan. Nice to meet you.” Mark greeted formally in full mandarin, bowing to the Wang pair while Jackson’s jaws almost dropped to the floor.

“What just happened?” Jackson questioned himself, turning to shared a look with his friends and Pa who’s just as utterly confused as he is.

 

A/N: Hey, here is the first chapter. Enjoy, sweeties.

<3 InfinitelyCassie