Chapter 7 - New Daily Routine

Next To You

After the heart-to-heart talk, I decided to retire early since I was having a rough day earlier, and the surprise event done by Joon Hyun didn’t make my day any better. It was an exhausting day, and I needed my rest more than ever.

When we were discussing about our sleeping places, I ordered Joon Hyun to sleep in the living room. He objected the idea strongly and kept on insisting that he has been sleeping in my room on the same bed as mine every night for the past 19 years, which earned him a kick in the groin (but I hardly think he felt that). So, in short, that imaginary friend of mine is sleeping outside in the living room (he doesn’t need the pillow or blanket. He is not real to begin with) while I’m sleeping soundly (but cautiously) in my own bed.

Joon Hyun is back. That means my everyday life is gonna changed 360 degrees for sure. What am I gonna do now? I left my own question unanswered before I shut my eyes to sleep at long last.

Only tomorrow will we know…

- - - - -

 

“Gaeul-ah…!” I’m hearing a muffling voice calling my name. Since when does my phone alarm know how to call out my name?

“Gaeul-ah…! Wake up…!” There it goes again. Is abeoji in my house right now? Since when did he arrive here? And since when he is diligent enough to wake me up? Only eomma does that since ever. I nod in my sleep.

“GAEUL-AH.” Slowly, I open up my eyes just to find a face inches away from mine. My eyes widen up in panic. “AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!” I instantly push away the face in front of me, but to no luck, my hands go straight thru that face. And now he is smirking in delight.

I look daggers at him back. “Put away your face off my face. Jigeum dangjang.”

His smirk becomes even more menacing. “What’s the magic word?” OH GOD! HE IS SO ANNOYING!

“…jaebalyo?” I reply with gritted teeth.

Joon Hyun pretends to pat me in the head. “Good girl. Come on! What time are you gonna head to work? You should’ve gotten up 15 minutes ago.” His voice trails as he walks out of my room into the living room. I let out a heavy and loud sigh. So, now I’m gonna have to deal with THAT every morning? Just my luck. Still half-awaked, I grab my towel and with heavy steps I move towards the bathroom for my morning bath.

 

“You’re not having breakfast at home, are you?” he asks as he sees me coming out of my room, all prepped up to work.

I shake my head and begin gathering my belonging to be put into my bag. Then, I stop and look at him. “Yah Joon Hyunnie. How will we do today?”

He frowns. “Meaning?”

“I’m asking how are we gonna do this, with you visible to me? How are we gonna interact with each other? What am I supposed to do from now on?”

He his teeth while approaching me slowly. Once he stands before me, he smirks, “That I can’t help you with. You’re on your own.”

I scoff loudly. “Yah Choi Joon Hyun. You should help me out here since it involves you as well. Or else I can just ignor-“ Joon Hyun gives me a sharp glare which makes me stop from finishing my sentence. I roll my eyes and gulp down in frightened. “I’m just saying…” I clear my throat after defending myself.

Now it is his turn to scoff. “I really can’t help you there honestly. I’ve always been by your side since day one, even when you couldn’t see me. So, I’m just gonna behave how I always behave; while you…” He points at me and gives a quick mocking grin before he continues, “…on the other hand, will have to adjust your daily lifestyle to fit me in. Isn’t that simple?”

By now, I realize that glaring at Joon Hyun has become a habit of mine ever since he reappeared last night. “Aren’t you supposed to be a friction of my imagination? Why are you still THAT sarcastic around your maker? Does that even make any sense to you?”

He laughs sarcastically. “Well, my maker, the answer to those questions would obviously be that you imagine me to become like this. Perhaps deep in your mind you desire to be a sarcastic person like I am.”

I snort. “Yeah. You’re one great role model.” He chuckles as he hears my haughty remark. “And that, my fair lady, is what we called as sarcasm. You’re most welcome.” He shows to me his signature smirk and walks out towards the front door. “Come on. You’re gonna be late.” I grunt under my breath as I follow him into the corridor outside. Here goes.

- - - - -

 

My footsteps echo as I make my way into the CGV Cheongdam Cinecity. I’m hearing only my own footsteps, but now, I am no longer walking alone. I glance at my right, and there he is, walking side by side with me with a smile plastered across his face. It is a weird feeling indeed, because I always walk alone to work. But now? Choi Joon Hyun has become a shadow of mine; he will follow me wherever I go, without fail. It feels like I’m having a bodyguard, but minus the guarding part (since he isn’t real, and so, he can’t defend me in any ways).

I try my best not to acknowledge the presence of the ghost besides me; and it was the hardest thing for me to do. It was awkward, and uncomfortable, and weird, and have I mentioned ‘uncomfortable’? Yeah. It was just THAT. Thank God I have finally made it to the top floor where the cinema is located. Oh God please have mercy on me – I pray hard as I take off the final step of the escalator onto the cinema floor.

“Hey Gaeul-ah!” That familiar first greeting of my day. “You’re kinda late today. Anything happened at home?” asks Min Joon. I can only reply him by shaking my head silently.

“…annyeonghaseyo,” I bow as I greet him out of respect.

“Yah Gaeul-ah,” suddenly he speaks. “This kid is a lot younger than you are,” Joon Hyun continues while pointing at Min Joon who is standing right in front of him.

MWO?” I say it out loud without thinking. As a result, Min Joon looks at me weirdly. Damn it! My first slip. I grit my teeth in agony. That bastard!

Waeyo…?” Min Joon asks.

By standard, I laugh awkwardly in order to hide my own embarrassment. “Aniya! Suddenly I remembered that I…didn’t turn off the fan at home…” Phew! Hope he buys that. Yet, Min Joon is still watching me suspiciously.

“Are you sure? Is there anything wrong?” I instantly shake my head. “Nothing is wrong really. Only that.” I begin to chuckle stupidly again. “…I’m gonna put my stuff away now.” I bow and hastily speed walking towards the locker room.

"Yah! Gaeul-ah!" Min Joon calls after me, but I am already on the other side of the door to hear him properly.

 

“WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SPEAK AT THAT VERY MOMENT?! PABO GWISHIN!” I curse him under my breath, just so to avoid suspicious eyes around me. As usual, he doesn’t feel any remorse but only laughs at me.

Wae? I’ve always told you that. Only that you never heard me before until today.” He smirks. He is taunting me. I wish I can kill this pabo gwishin for good. Pabo yaa!!

Naebeoryeo duseyo...

Andwae.”

Waeyo?!”

He casually leans against the locker to face me; that annoying smirk is still on his face. Now that I keep on seeing the smirking face, I started to hate my idol bias Tabi oppa. Damn you Joon Hyun! I’m gonna imagine you so ugly that even you will hate yourself!

“Because…I’m here all because of you.” I stare at him straight in the eyes. I am wordless. “You’re the one who summons me back. And here you are being able to see me once again. Do you think I will leave you alone by my own free will?” He chuckles as he pretends to pat me in the head. His very statement somewhat gives me a slap in the face. In an instant I remember his words last night: “Because you needed me once again.”

I lower my glare due to the guilty feeling that is flooding my mind right now. “Mianhae. I didn’t mean what I just said. I’m not wishing you to go away per se.” He smiles warmly for a change, and I let out a deep sigh. “Let’s just…cooperate with each other today, shall we?”

He continues smiling and we both head out back to the lobby. Here goes…