Chapter 2 - Do You Still Want Me?

Next To You

There are so many movie goers today; and as my first day at work, I am doing alright surprisingly. My duty as an usher doesn’t demand too much of me – I can still walk around the halls or head back to the back room if there aren’t any halls open for new showing, and only if there’s another usher guarding the entrance. All in all, everything goes well and the time passes by fast without me having to constantly checking on the clock.

I check the time shown on one of the screens that display show times of every movie available. 5.00PM, and that marks the end of my successful first day at work. I have to be honest; I feel a pang of relief and happiness when I see the time. Quietly I make my leave from the entrance booth, but to my dismal, Min Joon notices me and without any hesitation he starts following me to the locker room.

“What are you doing after this?” he asks as we both open our lockers to grab our bags back.

I try to pretend that I didn’t hear him. I am switching on my phone back when suddenly I can feel a presence of someone leaning against the locker on my right. “Yah Gaeul-ah. Do you have anything to do after this?”

I am cornered. I put away my phone into the bag and fling the bag onto my shoulder before I answer him. “…after this?”

“Yeah. After this. What do you have planned?”

“…nothing?”

“Nothing? Good then. We will celebrate your first day working with the team.” Then, the locker room becomes chaotic. Everyone is chattering as they discuss the venue and the menu of tonight’s party. I feel most uncomfortable now. I try to exit the room but the unnie already got hold of both my hands as to not let me get away at any cost.

I hate people. I hate them all.

Aren’t they doing the party for me? But if the party is for me and yet I don’t wanna be celebrated, then shouldn’t they listen to my request? I wouldn’t mind at all if they decided to celebrate among themselves. You don’t need me at the party.

Jaebal. Honja nae beoryeo juseyo.

- - - - -

 

Somehow I find myself in the karaoke room with the rest of the team. Even though they worked for 8 hours, their energy doesn’t seem to be affected whatsoever, and I don’t appreciate this conundrum one bit. I block any sound (mostly noise to me) from my ears, and all I can think of at this moment is to get back to my own home and rest on my comfy bed. When will this hell end?

“Gaeul-ssi.” My train of thoughts has been halted. I look around and see my timjangnim is staring straight at me while smiling warmly. My mind goes blank, and so, I end up staring at him blankly.

“Gaeul-ssi? You alright?”

I nod.

“Don’t you wanna sing a song or two? They are taking request.”

I shake my head and smile awkwardly back at him (in my head, I believe I gave him a warm smile. Sorta). Minho timjangnim nods and smiles before he joined back into the wild screeching crowd. However, I am still staring at him. I wonder how he is able to keep on smiling like that. Doesn’t he feel tired and annoyed for doing so? Occupational hazard? Then that would for me. Sigh.

Minho timjangnim’s short chat with me catches the attention of Min Joon. He doesn’t waste anymore seconds and abruptly takes an empty seat next to me. He turns his head to face me, and he grins rather cheekily. I keep my head straight forward despite that.

“You don’t like singing?”

I shake my head lightly.

“How about dancing? Don’t like either?” He grabs an empty glass and fills it with beer.

I shake my head again.

“What do you like to do then?” He sips the beer sluggishly. He may be drunk by now.

I am still looking forward. Since he isn’t getting an answer for his question, he drinks the beer till the last drop before he refills it with another batch of beer. I am still keeping my silence.

“SO?” His drunkness has gotten the better of him. By now, I don’t even have to be polite to him and he will not remember anything tomorrow. Typical.

I take out my phone and check the time. One missed call - AREUM. Seeing that familiar name makes me feel very grateful of the existence of that friend of mine. I slip out of the karaoke room swiftly and exit the karaoke building altogether. I need some peace and quiet when I talk with Areum. My bag is already hanged on my shoulder; so, I don’t have to worry about my belongings.

I dial ‘2’ (I put Areum’s number to speed dial) as soon as I get to the isolated side of the building, and in an instant the other end of the line is picked up and I hear a worrying voice.

“Gaeul-ah? Do you hear me? Gaeul-ah!”

“Yes yes I hear you. What is it?”

“How was your first day? Was it good? Did you get any troubles doing your job?”

“It was good. I believe it was a successful first day at work.” I chuckle.

I hear a deep sigh of relief on the other end. “Then? Did you have fun working?”

“It is good. At least the timjangnim is a nice person.” I shrug.

She pauses. By her pause, I can already sense what she is gonna ask next. “…did you make any friends?”

I reply her question with another long pause. After a minute or two, I shake my head despite knowing she wouldn’t be able to see it. But, she is a best friend of mine for a reason.

As if she saw me shaking my head, she let out an even deeper sigh, and she seems she couldn’t stop doing so. So, I just keep quiet and listen her sighing nagging me.

“Yah! Kim Gaeul! You shouldn’t be cold towards your colleagues like how you did when we were students. You got into so much trouble during our student years. You shouldn’t be doing the same thing at your workplace. You will end up jobless if you don’t change yourself!”

I say nothing to that.

She sighs again. “Yah. Gaeul-ah. You know that I love you the best. So, don’t make me worry about you when we are thousands of kilometers away from each other. I can’t protect you now since I am in Busan. Please listen to my advice and make friend with your new friends. If you don’t want them to be friends, that’s fine. Just be nice and sociable around them. Only then I will be happy even if I die right now. Arasseo, agassi?”

I have no intention of angering my only friend more, and so, I nod and reply: “Arasseo…”

“Good then. So, what are you doing now? Where are you now?”

I glance at the karaoke building. “The team wanted to celebrate my first day at work. So, we are in karaoke now.”

“Eh? Karaoke? Then, why are you still talking to me? Go back and sing ‘Last Farewell’. You like that song right? Don’t forget to dance!”

“The party has already ended. We are heading home now.”

“Jeongmal? Then, be home safe. Do you want me to keep you company while you head back home?”

Aniya. Don’t worry. I can get home myself. Jal jja!”

“Arasseo. Jal jja. I will call you soon.” And the line cuts off.

I glance back at the karaoke. I know I just lied to my best friend, but enough is enough. I went to the party, I sat through the party, and now I am heading home. “Sugohaseyo,” I say and bow to the building before take the left turn towards the subway.