Chapter 1 - Don't You Remember?

Next To You

The process of moving is never a fun thing to do. I actually hate it. Why can’t I just buy new furniture and new wardrobe when I moved? That would be a lot simpler, but unfortunately for me, I am not that rich. I only come from a middle class family who doesn’t own any multinational companies to make me one of the chaebol in Seoul. However, despite all that, I am still blessed to be born in my family. We may not have a mansion in Cheongdam-dong, but at least I still can afford to rent this apartment in Ilsan to myself. I am 25, and it is about time for me to live far away from my family independently, and I couldn’t be happier. The only downside is: I hate moving.

I moved into my new home three days ago, but I am still unpacking the boxes. At one point, I believe someone is messing up with me by repacking my stuff back into the boxes just so I unbox it for the nth times. But, for these few days since I moved here, I haven’t seen or interacted with any other human being; so that theory is down the drain five minutes after I came up with it. This is tiring.

Since I am living alone, I have no other options but to unpack these boxes by myself. My iPhone is the only company currently, and I have it played BIGBANG songs to ease the pain of being alone for three days straight. While singing out of tune to Love Song, I grab a box written ‘Down the Memory Lane’ (note to you: I love wordplay very much) and begin unboxing it. I carefully take out my belongings when I was a little girl. Toys, dolls, bedtime story books, sketch books, photo albums – I line them up properly next to the box. Suddenly, my eyes catch sight of an old big photo album that has been vertically-stacked carefully in the box.

With both my hands, I pull the old photo album and rest it on my laps. I carefully open the book and almost immediately old memories come rushing into my head. As I browse the album, I can see myself as a little girl in those old photographs. I run my finger on one of the photographs where a portrait of me smiling widely was captured. How nostalgic. I look so happy in that photograph, and now I wish I can go back to that time, and so I can experience that pure happiness that I have long forgotten. Don’t get me wrong – I am happy nowadays, but somehow I feel that happiness is only a make-belief, and the fact of me not knowing what is ‘happiness’ remain intact in my mind. It is hard to live nowadays.

I trace my finger along the little me in the photograph, and I begin wondering what made me that happy. I simply looked radiant with that wide smile that ends from one ear to another. Was it because I was feeling happy playing with my little brother? Absolutely not; my brother is a prick, an actual pain in the . Perhaps I was happy spending time with my parents? Hmm…my parents were always busy working and I can’t remember any outings we had together (You can’t blame me. I was a little girl.) Maybe I was playing with my friends at that time? That would be an obvious answer IF I ever have a group of friend. As long as I can remember, I only have Areum as my friend, my only friend, ever.

I squint my eyes closely at the photo, thinking that perhaps by doing so I can see any details on the photo that would give me clues to my question. Then I remember – I am no Sherlock Holmes, and I am blocking my own view by squinting too much. I sigh deeply. This is frustrating and I demand the answer badly (somehow). I continue staring at the smiling girl in the photo. Why are you that happy, young little Gaeul?

- - - - -

 

The reason I moved out from my parents’ home is because I got a job in Cheongdam-dong, and transporting from Busan to Seoul everyday would be too much for my body. With the help of Areum’s oppa, I manage to get my current apartment at a very affordable price (I can’t thank Areum enough for this). And today is my very first day of working at CGV in Cheongdam Cinecity, and I am both nervous and excited. Wish me luck.

I arrived 15 minutes early at the cinema to avoid being tardy on my very first day; as the saying goes 'first impression lasts'. As I arrived, immediately I asked one of the staffs at the ticketing counter to show me where the manager’s whereabouts is. So, now I am left alone in the lobby. Quietly I take a seat nearby the ticketing counter with hope that my soon-to-be boss will be here soon. I fish out my phone from my jacket pocket and check for the time – I still have 5 minutes before the clock in. For the nth times, I extend my neck to the maximum to see the manager’s presence. Where are you timjangnim?

“Kim Gaeul-ssi?”

KKAMJAGIYA!” I helplessly exclaim loudly within the quiet cinema lobby as I suddenly heard someone calling me from behind. With flushed cheeks, I quickly get onto both my feet, turn my body around dramatically, and bow low before the figure who called me out. “JAESONGHAMNIDA, TIMJANGNIM!” Then, the lobby becomes as quiet as a graveyard; I doubt graveyard is as quiet as this.

“HAHAHA!” A loud, manly laughter echoes throughout the lobby. He is laughing now?! Oh! This is so embarrassing! I dare not to lift my head to see the face of my boss even though this is my very first time meeting him.

The man’s laughter trails and he finally clears his throat (yet I still can hear him sniggering). “I am sorry to startle you. I didn’t mean to do so. Mianhae. I am Yoo Minho, the team leader of CGV Cheongdam Cinecity. Welcome to the family.”

Slowly I lift my head up and a hand is extended right before my face. In an instant, I straighten my body and take that hand into a handshake. “Kim Gaeul imnida. Please take good care of me.” I once again bow to gesture my plea. Minho timjangnim smiles and nods. “Please work hard in return.” I return his smile and nod. “Ok. Let’s head to the back and I will show you around.” He leads the way to a door that says ‘Staffs Only’ and flashes his card to open the door. My days as a jobless person are coming to an end finally.

We enter the back room of the ticketing counter. It is fascinating since it is my very first time working in cinemas. As we walk, Minho timjangnim begins to explain the tasks. “Ok Gaeul-ssi. Your job is simple. You will be working as the ticketing staff, the usher at the entrance, the cinema attendant which you will check the halls every now and then, and not to forget the f&b cashier. You will be working on shifts, either from 9AM to 5PM or 5PM to 10PM. Your job incentives can be found in your work contract. Any questions you can either ask me or the other staffs. Any questions?”

“What is my job today?”

“Since you are new, you will be the usher today. Check the time and the hall of every ticket and briefly show them where the halls even if they didn’t ask. Any other questions?”

“None, timjangnim.”

Minho timjangnim nods slightly and smiles. “Good. Now I will introduce you to the team.” He leads us towards a door without a sign. As he opens, I realize that it is a staff lounge, and almost all the staffs that are working in the morning shift have gathered in here. “Everyone! Meet Kim Gaeul, and she will be working with us starting today.” After he introduced me, he moves slightly to the back to make way for me to further introduce myself.

Gulp. Just keep calm. Just stay calm. They are only humans, just like you. You can do this Gaeul.

I lightly clear my throat to (inefficiently) kill the nervousness. “Annyeonghaseyo. Kim Gaeul imnida. I am new here and I hope you can take good care of me.” I bow to show them my humbleness (and to hide my nervous face mostly).

Annyeong!” “Welcome!” “Nice to meet you too, Gaeul-ssi.” “Please take good care of me as well.” The staffs greeted me warmly, but I am still nervous as it is. In fact, I am more nervous now, more than ever. Aside Areum, I never make any other friends. I am not good with friends. I don’t like to be in group of friends. I rather stay alone by myself, and I am happy by myself.

My eyes fidget as I see all of them smiling at me. I can only fake a smile and nod to them in return.

- - - - -

 

“So…where are you from Gaeul-ssi?” Suddenly a voice greeted me from my left. A boy (he looks boyish instead of manly) sits on top of the ticketing counter facing down on me. I am startled and the nervous rushes back into my body. His question is left hanging, and I feel bad about it.

“Yah Gaeul-ssi. You didn’t hear? I am asking you where are you from?” He tilts his head down to level to my own face. That makes me panic and I can feel a bucket of blood rushing into my head simultaneously, figuratively speaking. “Err…Busan. I come from Busan.” I nod slightly and look away to hide my flushed face.

“Busan? Arasseo. I’m from Daegu, but I’m a Seoulite now.” He flashes a grin. I don’t know how to reply to that. I nod and try to escape from him. Yet, he follows without feeling any awkwardness. Oh please go away. Jaebalyo.

“Where are you going, Gaeul-ssi?”

“…to the…entrance booth?”

“Why? Your duty today is as an usher? That is awesome then! My shift today is as the usher. Guess we’ll be working together today.” He flashes another grin, and this one is bigger and wider than the last. He looks so energetic and happy. Just so not to be rude, I give him an (awkward) warm smile and continue looking ahead.

“Oh! I forgot to mention. My name is Min Joon. Kang Min Joon.” He grins brightly. Slowly I smile back, and try to ignore him from now onward. This is tiring.