Chapter 8 - Knight in An Invisible Armor

Next To You

After putting away my things in my locker, I head back to the lobby to the ticketing counter, closely follows by Joon Hyun who just can’t stop smiling happily at everyone (and everything). It is awkward to be seeing my old imaginary friend comes back to life; but then again, I am the maker and it is supposed to be my doing for his revival. Maybe there is a reason behind this, although I don’t have any clues of what the reason might be. Have I been dreaming of Joon Hyun? Because the last time I checked, I don’t even remember him at all for these past years. So, how could I have been dreaming of him to resurrect him from the dead? My head hurts trying to figure this out. Never mind that then. Let’s focus on the job for now.

I take the counter next to Sora unnie who is already stationed at her own counter. With nervous heart, I greet Sora unnie, only to be ignored by her completely - it really hurts me to be treated like I am invisible. Then, I catch a glimpse of Joon Hyun who is standing next to my counter stool, mindlessly looking over the lobby. Talk about invisible. How hurt must he has been due to my reckless act of ignoring him for all these times? And yet, still reappears just because I needed himHe can’t be that noble. His pompous attitude rules out the nobility of his. And why am I back to this topic again? By now, I don’t doubt myself getting a migraine just because of that man called Choi Joon Hyun.

I turn on my computer and run the ticketing system when suddenly Sora unnie stands right next to me. “Ne unnie? Is anything wrong?” I brave it out by asking her first. Yet, with her poker face, she continues sneering at me. What did I do now? That’s all I can think of at the moment as I look away from her strong, jeering gaze.

“What time did you get back yesterday?”

“…around 6PM?”

Jinjja? Well then. Don’t think your punishment ends there.” I gulp. This can’t be happening… “Today, you will only have 30 minutes for lunch and you will do an extra hour for your overtime.” This isn’t happening… I lower my head, my eyes dart from side to side since the nervousness has taken over my whole body –I am at the verge of breaking down. Upon seeing my reaction, Soraunnie smirks triumphantly while heading back to her seat. “Sorry Gaeul agassi. Today your knight in shining armor isn’t around. He has personal matter to attend, and so, he won’t come to work today.” She moves back to her seat. I canfully hear a mocking giggle coming from her.

I turn around to face my computer. I can feel my palm sweating. I can feel my lips trembling nonstop. I can feel my eyes getting watery. I am breaking down, and this time, Min Joon isn’t around to defend me. Knowing there is no one who will defend me today, Sora unnie would sure do her best to make my life suffers, and that scares me the most. Sora unnie can do whatever she wants today, and no one will go against her, not even Minho timjangnim. I am a sitting duck today for unnie, figuratively speaking.

God. Please protect me. Please…

All of a sudden, I feel a presence of someone standing at the same spot as Sora unnie’s earlier.My heart races. My breathing becomes harder. Please not unnie again… Slowly I turn around to confront the figure standing closely next to me. Then, my heart skips a beat.

It is Joon Hyun standing there staring back at me with a smile. My heart skips another beat. For the longest time, I am staring at him without a blink.

“Don’t worry Gaeul-ah. I am here to protect you,” he says before looking over his shoulder towards Sora unnie. “You don’t have to worry about her. I will protect you from her.” Then, he winks and smiles warmly at me. My heart is at ease now for no reason.

I snort and chuckle. “How are you gonna protect me from unnie? You’re gonna beat her up?” I let out another snort after I whisper softly to him.

“I can’t beat her just yet-“ He smirks cheekily. “-but, at least I can protect your eyes from seeing the witch.” I throw him a sarcastic look, and he replies with another wink. I couldn’t help but laugh, which causes the others at the ticketing counter to stare at me weirdly. I hastily cover my mouth and bows apologetically to them; only to hear a derisive laughter from my left.

“See? You did that to yourself,” he taunts me.

Shikkeureo!” Later, I start my work with comforted heart, all thanks to my imaginary friend.

- - - - -

 

Min Joon speedily climbs up the escalator, knocking a few innocent bystanders in the process. He rushes towards the cinema floor with a weary look on his face. “PalliPalli! PALLI!” he mutters as he finally reached the top floor of the building.

*After not getting a reply from Gaeul, Min Joon instantaneously confronts Sora noona who is just arrived at her workstation at the ticketing counter. His expression looks grim.

“Sora noona,” he calls out.

Wae?” she answers nonchalantly without even looking at him.

“DON’T-BULLY-GAEUL-TODAY.”

“Is that a threat?” she scoffs then giggles mockingly.

“YES. THAT WAS A THREAT. SO, DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.HAJIMA.”

She finally tilts her head up to face him. She smirks. “We’ll see about that…”

He clenches his fist tightly as his teeth grit in frustration. Shibal!

“Min Joon?” I ask as I see him panting before my counter. “…why are you here?”

He begins to speak, but signals me with his finger that he needs a moment to catch his breath. I turn to look at Joon Hyun, and we both turn to stare at Min Joon with perplexed look.

“…is there…anything wrong Min Joon-ssi?”

“You-“ he pants, “gwenchana…?”

I blink. What is he trying to say here? Stop panting Min Joon-ssi“…gwenchanayo…?” Then, he lets out a deep sigh and finally his lips curl into a smile. “That’s good then…” he murmurs in between his short breaths; his smile hasn’t worn off from his face. I’m blinking confusedly at Min Joon before I turn to look at Joon Hyun.

How surprised I am – to see Joon Hyun’s face: he looks very annoyed, and he is staring sharply at Min Joon without a blink. The vibe of the place in an instant takes a turn and becomes strained. What just happened here…?

I continue staring at Joon Hyun without realizing Min Joon is staring awkwardly at me. “Gaeul-ah… What are looking at?” His voice breaks my train of thoughts. “Mwo? What were you saying?” I ask.

“What are you looking at?” He looks straight through Joon Hyun, trying to figure out the thing I am looking at.

“Eh? Aniyeyo…” I smile slightly at Min Joon as I try to avert his eyes from staring at the fuming Joon Hyun; I am afraid that Min Joon will stir up Joon Hyun if he continues staring blankly at him. He is still gawking in Joon Hyun’s direction before he smiles back. “So? You’re done with your shift?” he asks.

“…ye…” I nod lightly to my answer.

“Good. Let’s have dinner together!”

“Eh?”

“Dinner. Let’s have dinner together. We haven’t had dinner together, have we?” Min Joon beams happily, while I am still confused with his request.

“…dinner…? Together…? Urm…I think-“ Before I could finish my sentence, Joon Hyun has unexpectedly stood in between me and Min Joon, with his back towards me.What the-?

“WE’RE GOING HOME,” he says in a very serious tone. That takes me aback. What has happened to him? What is going on here for goodness’ sake?

“Eh…? But Min Joon-ssi--“ I mutter under my breath, but he cuts me short yet again.

“WE’RE GOING HOME NOW! AND THAT’S THAT.” He still has his back to me; however, I can feel that he I wearing a murderous look on his face. He is mad. I’ve never seen him this angry, ever. Did I provoke him? This is bad.

“Err…Min Joon-ssi. Maybe we’ll have dinner next time. I need to head home. Mianhae.” As I bowed to Min Joon, I quickly follow Joon Hyun from behind as he heads to the escalator.

 

*A flashback from chapter 8.