Chapter 4 - "I Need You"

Next To You

It has been a week since I started working at CGV Cheongdam Cinecity, and honestly? I am shocked myself that I made it through the week despites the ups and downs that came with the job itself (I shouldn’t be blaming on the job solely, should I?) The mark of the 7th day working also means that I will be doing other tasks instead of merely working as an usher. As I am preparing myself to work, I can’t help but wondering which task will be given to me today, or whom will I be working alongside with. No need to worry Gaeul-ah. Just focus on doing the job and head home straightaway (I’ve been doing this self-hypnotic motivational speech since the day 2 at work). I need that drive to convince myself that I will be alright by the end of the day.

I check myself in the mirror for the final time. You’re ready Gaeul-ah. I nod to myself and grab my house keys and my bag and look the door behind me properly. Here goes another day.

- - - - -

 

As I reached the shopping complex, my heart beats faster than normal. Somehow today makes me very nervous. Maybe I’m just worried about the new job task, if I am capable of running the system smoothly without getting any complaints from the customers. Yes, maybe that’s the reason you’re nervous. Kim Gaeul, calm yourself down. I take a deep breath and climb the final escalator that leads directly to the cinema.

Annyeong hashimnikka, timjangnim,” I greet Minho timjangnim first thing I arrived at the cinema.

“Oh! Wasseo?” I nod in reply. “Good. As of today, you will start working behind the counters, specifically the ticketing counter today.” I nod again. “You don’t need to worry since you will be assigned with a mentor to teach you how to do stuff.” I nod once again to signal my understanding. Then, he pauses. He keeps on staring at the clipboard in his hand, while his eyes keep on shifting from the clipboard to me repeatedly.

“…timjangnim?”

He looks up. “Ye?”

“…anything…wrong?”

Aniyo. It’s just…” He bites his lower lip and continues staring at the clipboard.

“…waeyo?” This is not a good sign. My heart starts racing again, but this time even faster.

He furrows his eyebrows. He seems like he is having a hard time just to notify me of my designated mentor. At last, he exhales his breath heavily and begins talking fast, as if he tries to hide his guiltiness: “Mianhae Gaeul-ssi, but the available mentor currently is only Lee Sora alone. So, she will be your mentor for at least a month.”

My heart drops. My soul has left my body. I feel numb all over my body, and I know I am looking at Minho timjangnim like a dead zombie; expressionless. All I can think of is “This isn’t happening to me.”

“Kim Gaeul-ssi?” I feel a light pat on my shoulder. “Kim Gaeul-ssi? Gwenchana?” Finally my senses come back into my body. I blink at Minho timjangnim as his face looks worried. I give my head a shake to ensure I have come back to my senses completely, and then I nod to him. “Gwenchanayo, timjangnim,” I answer with a smile to reassure him of my condition. However, the look on his face doesn’t seem like he is fully convinced.

Mianhaeyo, Gaeul-ssi. I know it would be tough on you with what’s going on between you and Sora. I hope you understand that I have no other choice, but I will make sure you won’t get into any troubles while working under her.” He nods and pats my shoulder over and over again. I have a very nice timjangnim. I am so grateful having to work with him for my very first job.

Although my smile is weak, I still put a smile on my face to convince Minho timjangnim, and myself. “…no need to worry timjangnim. I will try my best to work under Sora unnie.” Then, at once, I bow to him once again and walk fast to the locker room. Minho timjangnim doesn’t move from his spot and watches my back as I walk away.

- - - - -

 

Apparently everyone has already known about the news of Sora unnie to be my mentor during my probation period. Today, Min Joon doesn’t approach me at all but only watch me from afar with deep stare; Eunji unnie also follows his suit but hers are with worried look plastered on her face. Somehow I get the feeling that none of them have the confidence to step up to me and strike casual conversations (which mostly done by them alone) like usual. Perhaps they don’t really know how to comfort me in the first place. I am that impossible to approach to begin with, even on every other day. I don’t think I am built with sociable capability.

I approach the ticketing counter carefully, and I can see Sora unnie is already prepped at her counter. With trembling steps, I approach unnie and bow to her instantly as I stand beside her. “…annyeonghaseyo, Sora sunbaenim.” She doesn’t respond but keeps on clicking on the mouse while her eyes are glued onto the computer screen. Shortly, Kang Min Joon arrives at his counter (he is also working at the ticketing counter for the day), and he looks very infuriated for unknown reason.

“…Sora sunbaenim? Thank you for being my mentor. I will do my best in my job.” Yet again I bow to her to show my full respect. Still no respond from her. My feelings start to sink. I can feel a lump on my throat, and I am just a heartbeat away from having a nervous breakdown. Min Joon is ignoring me, but I can feel am being watched by him at the corner of his eyes.

“…sunbaenim? What do I have to do today…?” I gather my courage to ask her about my task. She clicks her tongue in annoyance – she finally responds to me. She shoots me a sharp stare before focusing back at her computer. “Just read the buttons carefully and click them accordingly. It is not too hard, so you don’t need me teaching you these basic,” she says grudgingly without taking her eyes of the computer screen. I swallow my saliva as I look down onto my shoes. Sora unnie hates me… What should I do now?

“YAH! SORA NOONA!” All of a sudden I find Min Joon standing next to me. His face is all red, and he is breathing heavily as if he is in rage. I step away from him since I am too dumbfounded with the current turn of event. “You’re her mentor. Don’t try to slack off or I will report this to Minho hyung!” he threats her without blinking his eyes once. My heart races again. I don’t like what’s happening right now.

“Yah Min Joonie. I am your sunbae. So don’t you raise your voice at me. And secondly, this is none of your business. I already told her what to do; so, she can do the rest herself,” Sora unnie replies nonchalantly. I hang my head low. My lips are quivering. Does unnie hate me that much? What did I do wrong to deserve that much hate? I gulp back the sobs to contain my crushing feelings.

Min Joon grits his teeth and swiftly his hand grabs onto my wrist and pulls me away to my designated counter. As we both stand there, not a word comes out from either of us: Min Joon is too furious to even breathe properly, while I, on the other hand, is too dejected to even look at anyone at the moment.

“Don’t worry. If you don’t know anything, you can ask me. I’ll work next to you today,” and as he says these, he instantly turns on the computer on my counter silently. He begins clicking a few buttons till the ticketing system pops up on the screen. Once done setting up my computer, he starts tutoring me regarding on how to operate the system and how to make a ticket order via the system. I listen to him with full attention until I understand the basics of operating the system. Later, he takes the seat on a counter right next to me, and without even a glance, he turns on the computer and does the same routine with it.

Without realizing it, I crack a broad smile on my face. Right at this moment, I am overwhelmed with gladness and contentment towards Min Joon. Who knew someone who I find as the most annoying could be the very savior of mine. Finally, I take my seat at the counter and get myself ready for my very first customer.