Chapter 3 - I Am Invisible

Next To You

“Gaeul-ah!” Right after that, I hear someone running towards me. “Let’s go lunch!” says Min Joon while panting a little. I stand there, looking at him blankly. I guess he knows me a little by now, and so, without further question, he grabs my arm and drags me to the locker room to fetch our wallets. “So…where were you just now?”

I unlock my locker and fish out my purse which is placed in the zipper compartment. I do not answer him immediately. “...was in Hall 1 projector room.”

“So, you’ve seen the projector room? Aigoo.” He closes the locker door and we both head out to the lobby. “I was planning to show it to you myself. So, you will see me as cool.” Min Joon looks around as we reached the lobby. “Eh? Where are they? Out for lunch already?” I do not reply to that. I keep my head forward as we take the escalator down to the building’s entrance. “So? What do you wanna eat today?” Not a word comes out of my mouth. He tries again, “Do you wanna eat bibimbap? Ramyun? Kimchi jigae?” This time around, he walks backward in front of me as he tries to fish my reaction.

“…dalkkkaseu.” I slightly nod at the end of my sentence. He smiles widely – my nodding gesture signals him that I am not ignoring him at all. “Dalkkkaseu it is.” Then, we walk out into the street. From then on, Min Joon becomes my unlicensed tour guide; I faithfully follow him from behind. When we reached the restaurant that offers the best dalkkkaseu (as acclaimed by Min Joon), a few of the unnie from our team are already there waiting for their orders to arrive.

“Hey! The girls are here. Let’s sit with them.” He quickly makes his way to the unnie’s table, while I stand still right at the entrance. Having lunch in a group? I can’t do this… I don’t know how to do this… Slowly I turn my body around to walk away from the restaurant. “Gaeul-ssi! Where are you going? Come join us,” Sora unnie calls me out. Now it is too late for me to make my escape. With heavy steps, I head to the table and take a seat next to Min Joon.

“Where are you going? You wanted to go the restroom?” asks Sora unnie. I glance at her before I put my head down, shaking my head slightly. She furrows her eyebrows seeing my behavior. “Are you a shy girl Gaeul-ssi? You don’t need to be shy around us.” She giggles lightly, and the other unnie (Eunji unnie) joins in the giggle.

Min Joon chuckles and shakes his head. “Aniya. She is super shy and she does not talk a lot. I’ve been trying to make her talk that now I feel like a talking parrot.”

Eunji unnie scoffs. “You are an annoying talking parrot Joonie ah. It isn’t because of Gaeul-ssi.” Min Joon sticks out his tongue to show his disapproval, and Eunji unnie sticks hers out to more. “I am not an annoying talking parrot. I am a cool suave talking parrot.” He pouts his lips out and straightens up his shirt collar. That causes Sora and Eunji unnie to burst out laughing.

“Gaeul-ssi. Why don’t you order something to eat?” Instantly Sora unnie hands me a menu. I take the menu off her slowly and pretend I am browsing through it. All of a sudden, the menu is taken away forcefully by Min Joon, which causes an uproar from both unnie sitting opposite to us. “Yah Joonie ah. Why are you being so rude?”

Wae? She already decided what she wants to eat.” Min Joon puts away the menu and calls one of the waiters right away. I grow numb; I keep on staring at the cutleries right in front of me. I will tell you: the cutleries aren’t as fun as seeing the projector room, period. “Ibon dolsot bibimbap juseyo.”

Sora unnie shoots a deadly glare at Min Joon then she looks at me with a calmer expression. “Do you really wanna eat dolsot bibimbap Gaeul-ssi?” I can feel a lump in my throat. Sitting here with the team is the worst idea. I regret heavily for following Min Joon from the start. I nod my head while still looking down at the table. Sora unnie isn’t pleased to watch my behavior at all.

“Yah Gaeul-ah. Your sunbae is talking to you right now. Shouldn’t you at least respect me as your sunbae?” All heads (except mine) turn to face Sora unnie. Everyone is dumbfounded by the tensed situation before us, and I still can’t bring my head up to look at unnie.

“Yah. Sora noona. Hajimaseyo.” The tone of Min Joon’s voice changes; I can sense he is being serious with his plea.

“Yaaah Sora yah. Let’s not upset Gaeul-ssi. She is just shy. You don’t need to take her actions to heart.” Eunji unnie pats unnie’s arm lightly to calm her down while smiling awkwardly at the people seated at the neighboring tables.

’Let’s not upset Gaeul-ssi?’ Let’s not upset her? Yah Eunji. She upsets me first. And why must you support her instead of me? Who is your friend now huh?” Sora unnie is getting more upset. Eunji unnie is taken aback and tries to calm her down even more aggressively, while Min Joon’s face expression turns grave and he seems to be in a deep thought. I wanna get out of here.

“Urgh! Let’s go Eunji. We eat at some other place. I already lose my appetite.” Sora unnie quickly gets up off her seat and starts to walk to the entrance. Eunji unnie who is baffled by unnie’s sudden exit decides to follow her friend in order to calm her down. “Mianhae Gaeul-ssi. I will to talk to Sora. Jaesonghaeyo.” Then, it is left me and Min Joon now, alone at the table. Shortly after, our foods (including unnie’s food) arrive at our table. Right now, I believe we look foolish with four platesfor only two persons. I keep on gulping down my own saliva to stop myself from crying in a public place.

“Don’t you worry about Sora noona. She is a nice noona, but she is too proud with the sunbae-hoobae hierarchy. I got slashed by her when I first entered the team. So, don’t you be upset by her.” After saying the ‘soothing’ words, he begins to eat his food silently, leaving me rooted to my seat, staring down at my bowl.

My hand slowly reaches for the spoon. I’ve warned ya. I softly poke the rice in my bowl. My lips can’t stop quiver. My nostril flares up and down consistently. I’ve warned all of ya. I hold my hands together, and I can feel my nails sinking into my own skin. I hate people. It is unbearable; I can no longer contain my sadness. A soft whimper comes out of my mouth, and I can’t stop it anymore.

Min Joon stops eating once I whimper. His sharp stare is looking blankly at the untouched bowl on the opposite side of his seat. I can hear his heavy breathing right next to me.

“If you wanna leave, just leave. Don’t worry about the bill.” Then, he continues eating without uttering any other words.

I sit still in my seat. I shake my head finally and join in eating my lunch. “…this tastes really good,” I say after swallowing down a spoonful of my food. Min Joon gives a quick glance at me; he breaks into a soft chuckle as he feeds himself another spoonful.

- - - - -

 

5.07PM. Time to head home.

I head out to the locker room but I meet Minho timjangnim halfway instead, and he has a worried serious look on his face. I don’t think much about it. “Sugohasyeotsseumnida,” I greet him with a bow and is about to walk away when he stops me. “Do you have time right now? I need to discuss with you with something.” I think I know what this is about. I nod and trail him from behind towards his office.

We both enter the office; I’ve been here before for the interview, but I didn’t meet him on that day. I take a seat after seeing him seating first. “I’m sorry to call you out after the working hour, but…there is some problem right now.” I remain silent. “Did you had a misunderstanding with Lee Sora?” I look down at my trembling hands under the desk. I don’t know how to respond to the question.

Minho timjangnim sighs heavily. “You don’t need to be alarmed by this. This isn’t the first time Sora filed a complaint about new members.” He sighs once again. “I hope you don’t take it to heart what Sora have said or not said to you. She has always been that way since she is one of the oldest staffs here. However, I hope you can be friends with Sora from now on.” I’ve finally gathered my courage to face Minho timjangnim, and he is smiling warmly at me. “You may wanna be more…friendly around her. At least let her know that you do respect her. ‘Cause I can’t always be around you to defend you when you get into a fight with her.” He continues smiling, but I am too embarrassed to show my face. Upon seeing my reaction, Minho timjangnim gets up from his chair and says, “That is all I have to say. You may go now. Sugohaseyo, Gaeul-ssi.” I bow and show myself the exit.

-------

It is 10.30PM now. At last I’ve finally reached my neighborhood. Today was indeed a very tiring day for me, more tiring than the day before, and that was my first day at work. And I had to take a walk around Apgujeong to clear my mind a little. I feel a lot better now than I was earlier, but not all better.

Second day and you’ve made an enemy. Good job Kim Gaeul. I sigh deeply. Now I fret that I may get kicked out of the team, and I only started my job yesterday. The sound of my feet dragging echoes despite a few bars and cafes close by are occupied with chattering customers. I drag myself till I reach the playground not too far from my block.

I quickly take a seat at one of the empty swings. I swing myself lightly while letting my head by muddled with troubling thoughts about my unforeseen future. I mindlessly swing myself back and forth repeatedly; then, I look up at the starless night sky. But, the moon is shining brightly alone up there. I keep on adoring the moon, wishing myself for that moon to always accompany me when I’m alone. With that very thought, suddenly I feel warm inside, as if someone is hugging me from the back. I hug myself and smile happily.