Chapter 5 - "Stay By My Side, Always"

Next To You

As today is my first day working behind the ticketing counter, I am doing extremely well thanks to the watchful eyes of Kang Min Joon who tirelessly helps me out whenever I encounter any problems either on the system itself or from customers’ requests. Min Joon has officially become my unofficial mentor, and this is because he wasn’t supposed to be my mentor; Lee Sora unnie is.

Once in a while, I throw a glance at Sora unnie, but she doesn’t seem to be affected by me. She is ignoring me well, and even though I enjoy being alone, this feeling doesn’t sit well with me at all. I love being myself, but in the process I have no intention of hurting anyone’s feelings yet alone to make an enemy out of it. Since many Seoulites have decided to watch movies today, I don’t have much time to make amends with Sora unnie. Plus, I don’t how to get back onto her good side again. I don’t have much experience.

- - - - -

 

“What shall we have today?” asks Min Joon as we both reached the entrance of the building. Once again, I become Min Joon’s lunch date since he drags me along starting from the ticketing counter. I look back at him and shrug. He his teeth and he appears to be in a deep thought. “Should I make the decision this time?” he wonders. I nod once, and in an instant off we go to find our foods.

I am trailing Min Joon from behind when he stops abruptly in midway, causing me to bump into him lightly. He turns around to face me; he is giving me a nervous grin. “How about this?” I look up at the restaurant’s signboard blankly: KyoChon Fried Chicken.

“…chicken?” I ask for a confirmation; and he nods.

“Been having this craving since last night. Gegege.” He grins happily just as we enter the restaurant. I shrug and follow him closely. We take a seat next to the glass window; the view of the street is somewhat pleasing to me. It must be because he has been here way too many times that he doesn’t even need to check the menu to order our food and drinks (he insists of me having Cola).

After the waiter takes the order, we are both left alone to our own thoughts while looking out the window. I steal a few glances at him then back at the street. He is quick to notice.

“What is it Gaeul-ah? You have something to say?”

I hesitate. I gulp and stare at him. “…I just…wanna know…why you’re so nice…to me…”

He looks straight into my eyes. “Simple. ‘Cause I like you.” Then he immediately grins widely at me. In an instant, my seat becomes hot. I feel very uncomfortable. I keep on shifting in my seat, and that causes a burst of laughter from Min Joon.

“You’re that shy huh? Mianhae. I was only joking.” He chuckles. “Let me see. Why am I nice to you? Hmm… Maybe because I feel like you needed the help.” He smiles before he continues, “I used to have a friend like you. Shy, not friendly, very timid. That’s why I feel like I am obligated to protect you as much as possible.”

I am left speechless. Slowly I turn my head towards the street. He does the same calmly. “Kamsahammnida,” I say. With his eyes watching the road, he smiles gladly. “Anieyo.”

- - - - -

 

“Yah! Where did you go?!” We are greeted by a yelling from Sora unnie once we arrive at the locker room. I can feel the tension in her words. Another trouble brewing?

Waeyo? We were having lunch. Wae? We can’t have lunch nowadays?” Min Joon sarcastically answers on our behalf. Don’t Min Joon-ah…

Sora unnie scoffs loudly. She gives me a dirty look before she glares at Min Joon. “Yah. If you both have lunch together, who is supposed to be at the ticketing counter during lunch hour? Naneun? Jangnaniya?!” She then walks closer to me, until we are both facing each other in the eyes. “Just because Min Joon here is protecting you, do you think you can act almighty around here? Keep on dreaming agassi.” She snorts and walks towards the door; then she halts halfway through the door. “Yah newbie. Make sure you work an extra hour behind the counter. Don’t even dare to go back on-time today.” After she gives me the order, she leaves the room, with me left shaken to the core.

- - - - -

 

I am working at the counter when Minho timjangnim approaches me; the same worried look can be seen across his face. “Gaeul-ssi? You have a minute?” I nod and quickly leave my workstation to stand behind my seat facing Minho timjangnim.Ye? Timjangnim?”

He glances at me then a heavy sigh comes out of his mouth. “First day of becoming your mentor and she’s already giving you a hard time. That Lee Sora.” He sighs again. I have nothing to reply him. “She already submitted a report saying that you will be working an hour overtime. You’ve heard this?” I nod quietly. Another sigh coming from him.

“Then I guess you have no other choice but to work an hour longer today. Since she is your mentor, she has the authority to make those kinds of decision. I hope you understand.” He gives me the same pat on the shoulder. Today has been a repetitive routine for Minho timjangnim, and I somehow feel guilty for making him constantly worries today. I can no longer face him since I broke my promise of not creating any more problems to him. My head hangs low with my eyes fixed onto my shoes.

Mianhamnida, timjangnim.” Minho timjangnim pauses – he stares at me with sad expression and lets out a sigh (which hopefully would be the last for today). “You may continue your work.” He nods and walks away a second later.

Kim Gaeul. When will you learn to not trouble those people around you? Have you no shame? I blame myself over and over again.

- - - - -

 

I check the clock on the showtime display screen. It is finally 6.00PM. At last, I can head home without any problem (because Sora unnie has gone home at exactly an hour ago). With a tired body, I push myself to go and fetch my belongings in the locker room. Today isn’t a good day for me. Will it be the same tomorrow? Or the day after tomorrow? My future looks bleak from today onwards, and I don’t have the confidence to go through it all. I am not that strong.

Min Joon has gone back an hour earlier, and Minho timjangnim isn’t anywhere to be found. So, I idly walk out of the cinema without greeting anyone, and straightaway make my way to the subway station. Throughout the subway ride, I do nothing else but thinking about the problems I’ve created at my workplace. Thinking back at how Sora unnie treated me today makes me choke. Was I horrible to her during our lunch date that made her hates me this much? I don’t even have the right answer for my own question. I am feeling very depressed. I want all of these to end.

I hate people. I don’t like them at all.

 

Eventually, I reach my home. With tired body and disturbed mind, I can’t even unlock the front door properly. It annoys me so much that I started having a fight with the lock. Not too long after that, I can feel my eyes welling up with tears. After a few more tries on the lock, I finally able to enter my own home. Yet, instead of turning on the lights like I always do, I straightaway move into my room and let my weak body falls onto the bed. Why are all these happening to me? Whatever sin did I do to deserve a life like this? My thoughts become the very reason for my tears to flow down nonstop at this point.

I hate people. I HATE THEM ALL.

Soon afterwards, my nightmares that I called as ‘my past’ come flashing before my eyes. Today seems like a carbon copy of the days I had to go thru throughout my student years: I was constantly bullied by my own classmates, got jeered by them everyday, had my money extorted by the bullies, and many other horrific scenes you can never imagine. And it all started back when I was still a kid. I thought society would be nicer and less judgmental towards children; but not the children themselves. No one ever wanted to be friends with me even though I wanted to. Why all of these happened to me? BECAUSE I AM THE WEIRD ONE TO THEM. The odd one. The ugly duckling. They didn’t wanna be friends with the awkward kid in the class. They didn’t wanna play with the weird kid at the playground. I was never wanted; and at one point, I didn’t want them either.

I’ve played all by myself. I walk to school alone by myself. I eat at the school’s cafeteria all by myself. I do my homework by myself, without the help from anyone. I thought I was doing them justice by isolating myself, but that wasn’t the idea in their minds. Then, I was seen as the stuck up . The y girl. The . And from then on, my days at school became my own Hell on Earth. I was tormented both physically and mentally because I am the odd one out. The weirdo. The target practice to practically everyone in my class. Since then, I hate my friends. I hate my classmates. I hate my neighbors. I hate people. I HATE EVERYONE.

If not for Areum who stands steadfast in her decision to stay as my friend, I wouldn’t have known anyone as ‘friend’. I would not have a friend at all. And I was fine with that. I don’t need anyone. I don’t need them at all.

I was sobbing loudly in my mattress when all of a sudden I hear a voice.

“Don’t cry anymore Gaeul-ah. I’m here now, for you.” That is a man’s voice. THAT IS A MAN’S VOICE. There’s someone in my room at this moment. THERE’S A MAN IN MY ROOM AT THIS VERY MOMENT!

I become alarmed. My sobbing stops almost instantly. Fear is now taking all over my body. I can’t move – I’m too afraid to make a sudden move. My breathing becomes heavy. Every worst case scenario for a girl living alone at home come racing into my mind.

“Don’t cry anymore Gaeul-ah. I am here to stay by your side.”

I can’t take this any longer. With as much courage left in me, I slowly turn my body around to face the owner of the voice. I can’t see him properly in the dark. I am having a hard time recognizing the tall figure stands before me. However, little by little, my vision becomes clearer. After a few more seconds, I can clearly see a man smiling down upon me. My jaw drops.

…T.O.P? TABI?!