Chapter 9 - The Unseen Side of the Coin

Next To You

It is quiet. Too quiet.

Since from the lobby, Joon Hyun hasn’t said a word to me, at all. He walks quietly at the front, while I, on the other hand, walk silently a meter away from behind. The atmosphere is still tensed, and yet, I am still clueless of what actually happened earlier. Did I miss something just now? What IS going on here?

Joon Hyun abruptly halts. With an irritated expression, he turns around and looks at me as I too stop to look at him. “Why are you walking behind me?!” he roars out of annoyance. I gulp. He is still that mad? What did I ever do to him?!

I fasten my pace towards him with my head hangs low. Once I am on his side, he continues to stroll down the street without another word. Now I am scared and confused by him. What is happening here…?

“…are you…mad…? Joon Hyunnie…?”

Mwo?”

“…I’m asking…if you’re…mad at…me…”

He doesn’t reply. My heart palpitates. The tension that continues to build up between us for no reason contributes makes my heart beats faster and faster by the second. He is mad, isn’t he? He is mad at me, isn’t he?

“Ani… I’m not mad at you.”

I stop midway. I am truly stunned to hear his quick reply, as if he heard my own monologue in my own head. “How did you…?”

He scoffs – and this time it sounds like he is very annoyed with my question. “Have you forgotten? I am a part of your thoughts.”

“Oh…” I slightly nod and continue to walk right by his side. “Then… If you’re not mad at me…why do you look so…intense?”

He groans loudly. Oh no. Did I anger him more? My hands start shaking out of fear. The angry Joon Hyun is not something I’ve seen before; and so, I am clueless of what he is capable of doing to me if he really is mad at me. The very idea sends shivers down my spine. I don’t like the angry version of Joon Hyun. He scares me a lot.

I keep silence after not receiving any answers from him. Maybe it is best for me not to provoke him with more questions. However, Joon Hyun clicks his tongue and he tousles his hair while groaning.

“I am not mad at you honestly. It’s just that…” He lets out another deep groan. “…I am mad at…that Min Joon bastard…” What…? As I turn to look at him, he turns his face away in the nick of time. And I can see it clearly: his face has turned red. Wait. Is his blood still boiling? Or is he…blushing?

Chamkkanman. Min Joon bastard…? Why are you calling him that?!” I raise my voice (but still under my breath just for his hearing), and that causes his head to turn towards me. He completely looks exasperated by my words.

MWO? Are you getting angry at me just because of that saekki?” He furrows his brows, and that alone makes his face looks deadly. Oh God. What have I done?

A-A-Aniya...! I’m just-asking you…why you’re calling him…that.” I clear my throat and quickly avert my eyes from meeting his fiery glare.

He clicks his tongue again while rubbing his nape. “…he calls you ‘Gaeul-ah’,” he finally replies.

“…what’s wrong with that?”

My answer does it again – his head once again snaps towards me with the same murderous expression. “What did you just said?” he asks with an intensified tone. Now, I feel a lump in my throat as I start to stutter helplessly.

“I-I-I mean wh-why are you mm-mm-mad at him be-because of-of th-that.”

“Haven’t I told you? He is way younger than you are. He is practically a dongsaeng, and yet he has the nerve to call you informally?! That saekki!”

Hold on.

I halt yet again in midway. Then, a chuckle escapes from my mouth before I can stop it. Upon hearing that, Joon Hyun stops altogether next to me and stares dagger at me. “WHAT ARE YOU LAUGHING AT HUH??” He raises an eyebrow to heighten the hostile expression of his.

I pluck my courage to stare back at him. Seeing his expression causes another chuckle to escape from my mouth; and now, he is frowning even more deeply, but, I am not intimidated by that at all.

“You’re mad at Min Joon just because of him calling me informally? Just because of that?” I burst out laughing uncontrollably. And his jaw drops, irked to see my reaction to the current issue. Then, he lets out a huge scoff with arms folded across his chest.

“You better straighten his attitude up. If this continues, who knows if he might snap at you as if you’re the dongsaeng in the relationship.”

“That bothers you?” I giggle while shaking my head in amusement before continuing answering to his earlier statement, “Arasseo. Tomorrow I will tell him that he should call me “noona” instead of “Gaeul-ah”.” I tilt my head up to meet my eyes with his, and I smile earnestly; which in an instant his tensed expression starts to loose and he returns my smile with his own broad grin. We gaze at each other for what I felt like an hour long, and eventually we carry on walking down the pathway.

“So… even imaginary friends can feel jealous? Do all imaginary friends have feelings?”

“Hmm…I think so…?”

“Neat! Have you met any other imaginary friends?”

“Yeah, but mostly they are still kids since their makers are also kids themselves.”

“Yah! Are you saying I am childish?!”

“I didn’t say that.”

And Joon Hyun’s chuckle trails away as we make our way towards our home on a happy note.