A Test of Power

His Majesty

 

 

Soft sighs, skin on skin and smiles on their faces, the Royal couple’s limbs gently wrestle with each other. Yifan sighs contently as his forehead touched Baekhyun’s and the latter mirrored the smile the other gave.

“I have missed this. Definitely, missed this.”

Baekhyun smiles despite the overwhelming warmth of Yifan’s breath on his nose and skims his fingers on Yifan’s disheveled hair. He missed this, too; touching his hair and just nestled in bed. He almost forgot how soft it felt under his fingertips, his breath warm and minty this early morning and the way his tall, thin but slightly muscular body seemed to fit above his, warmly molding them both into perfection. “But not me?”

Yifan chuckles. “Of course, there is no doubt that I missed you. I have been telling you, this bed has been smelling a lot like me than your scent and it makes me puke.” He runs his hand on Baekhyun’s face, seeming to outline its perfection and gently lines his lips with his thumb.

Baekhyun smiles despite Yifan’s thumb on his lip, playfully biting it before saying, “I’ve missed you, too, Yifan.” 

Yifan gives a chaste kiss and moves to his side to bury his nose in Baekhyun’s neck and sighed. “I wish we’re given a little holiday from our duties. I will not deny that the past few days have made me a lot happier than I had ever been.” He wrapped his arm around Baekhyun’s waist and closed his eyes, deeply inhaling Baekhyun’s scent.

Baekhyun peeks at him and smiles gently. “Sleeping? Again?” He softly carresses Yifan’s soft lush locks and sighs before murmuring, “I wish so, too. I would be lying if I were to tell you that it has given me nothing but happiness. But we are the King and Queen, Yifan. We have important things to do than snuggle in bed and make love.”

Yifan groaned as he looked up at Baekhyun. “Please do not do that.” Yifan looked at Baekhyun seriously as he observed the other’s eyes. “Please do not say “make love” because when you do, all I can think about is just that. Making love. To you.”

“Yifan!” Baekhyun exclaimed softly, scandalized. He laughed as he proceeded to move out of bed, only to be stopped by Yifan’s hand in his wrist. “Yifan, come on. Move your lazy and let us start our day.”

Yifan chuckles as he grudgingly obliges, not daring to say no to his Queen. He missed this special moment that he is willing to just be his husband around Baekhyun. “Yes, my lovely Queen. I shall do thou request.”

 

 

“You have been a little festive these few days. Did anything out of the ordinary happen?” Junsu looked on pointedly, eyeing Baekhyun as the latter stole fleeting glances towards the King in the opposite end of the hall.

The entire castle could not be left oblivious by the way the Queen sent smiles to anyone he sees. Though it caused a little bit of rumor that the Queen found solace in someone else other than the King, it was hushed as to how the King himself seemed to be in the same condition.

It would have been a lie to tell that the servants, guards, the Ladies and Sehun themselves thought this was a good start. 

“That is nonesense, Mother. I am still the same. Nothing has changed.” Baekhyun dismissed the topic as he stared at his mother. He looked at his brown orbs, seeking to find confirmation that his Mother bought his alibi. Yet, of course, no one can compare with a Mother’s instinct.

“You’re telling me that the longing and dare I say it, loving stares that you and Yifan had been giving are nothing?” Junsu chuckled as he sat down on a nearby bench. “My, my. I cannot believe you would think of me poorly.”

Baekhyun feigned shock as he sat beside Junsu, staring at his lap before breaking out into a smile. “It oddly feels discomforting, that is all. It is a bit bizarre that we are not fighting or even sleeping on different chambers. Frankly, it feels strange that everytime I wake up, I see his face and feel his warmth enclosed around me.” Baekhyun blushed as he looked away. “Look at me muttering nonesense.”

Junsu chuckled as he urged Baekhyun to lay his head on his shoulder. The years Baekhyun had stayed in his arms could be counted with one hand. “I can see the effect he has on you. I am glad, then, that I betrothed you to Yifan when you were no less than a baby. To be very honest, the entire castle could see the drastic change between you and Yifan. I’ve been hearing from everyone, especially your ladies that they are quite pleased with this change and wished for it to be neverending.”

It has only been roughly a week that has passed since there was a constant smile on Baekhyun’s face that no amount of gem or crystal could be exchanged for. The entire castle indeed missed seeing the Queen happy, and it was to their hearts’ desires that it was the King who was responsible for this rare and returned display of affection.

Baekhyun sighed loudly, wishing for the time to slow down. He feels caught up with the emotions threatening to break his front. “I hope the time would slow down a bit, let me adjust back on the race. It is a bit tiring and rather draining, especially with Kyungsoo’s guards just camping on every border.” He straightened up as he shook his head and looked at Junsu. “I am being completely rude. How have you been, Mother? Have you been well-cared in your stay here?”

“Oh, do not worry about me, darling. I can bark orders at my servants anytime.” Junsu laughed. “I was kidding.” He heaved a deep sigh. “I was only supposed to attend the feast, but things have been really tight back at home. Frankly, I am away for a while now and I would need to go back soon. Kyungsoo threatens your crown at Scotland and the men are losing their faith on you. There are several attempted coups by the Protestant Lords already and some have been successfully stopped. All our guards are completely dispatched on our borders for protection against sudden attacks from England and we need more. I didn’t want to tell you this, but I cannot hide anything from you.”

Baekhyun’s face hardened as he let go of Junsu’s hand. “My people are losing faith in me? How can this be? Don’t they know how terribly painful it is to try to save my marriage and stand against Kyungsoo?” His voice shook with anger, pain and sadness as his shoulders dropped. “I just wanted to be a good ruler. I know I am too young and inexperienced but they should at least give me a chance!” He heaved a sigh as his face showed distinct determination and courage. “Forgive me, Mother, for my sudden weakness. I shall do everything that I can to win their trust.”

Junsu looked at his son and felt remorse seeping in his being. I’m sorry. I need you to focus, Baekhyun. With Yifan possibly standing in your way, I have to do this.

 

 

“Every second is precious. Yifan, I’m telling you. You have to make Baekhyun get the English throne. You know your father would have wanted it anyway.” Jaejoong said as he moved from the window to the seat beside Yifan.

”What do you want me to do for you to stop pressuring Baekhyun?” Yifan sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, clearly tired of the topic that seemed to always get back as priority.

“In case you have forgotten, the day you married Baekhyun, his fate has already been sealed. He is expected to have an heir, claim the English throne and rule both France and Scotland problem-free. But your wife clearly neglected this. When Kyungsoo got a hold of the throne, do you think this budding war will stop? Please, Yifan.” Jaejoong scoffed. “He seems tranquil now but you will probably face his wrath a few days from now. He wants Scotland. And eventually, France.”

“Do not threaten me, Mother. The English on our borders are already enough of a threat to the entire country. I will talk to Baekhyun on this and let him decide. I will support him, whatever it is.” Yifan curtly supplied as the meeting room’s doors opened. Baekhyun strode in and Yifan could hardly believe his eyes when the sun illuminated every bit of Baekhyun.

Jaejoong noticed the way his son gawked at the Young Queen and shook his head while softly muttering, “this stupid boy. Your love will kill you someday.” Nevertheless, Jaejoong is still thankful for the Queen’s love for his son no matter how opposing he seems. It doesn’t matter that he doesn’t completely like Baekhyun for Yifan. The only thing important is for his son to rule over France without distraction and if Baekhyun proves to be a nuisance, time can only tell what he can do.

Baekhyun sat next to Yifan, glancing a few seconds at him before completely ignoring the way he dreamily smiled at him. He focused on the task at hand and Yifan will have to wait until the day ends or until the meeting is adjourned. “What seems to be the problem?”

Yifan sat up straight as he felt stupid for trying to hold his Queen’s gaze when he is busy with politics. Baekhyun feels bad, but only until this day. He needs to have even a little bit of progress.

Sehun cleared his throat as he recounted every bit of news he gathered. “The English camping on our borders are still silent. It seems that they are waiting for a signal from the Queen. I would suggest to double our guards stationed in all corners so we might be truly ready anytime Kyungsoo attacks.”

“Well then, do what deems best, Sehun.” Jaejoong interfered.

“Also,” Sehun cleared his throat; his face seems full of worry as he looked at Baekhyun. “I received word from a General that came together with Junsu that it has all been Kyungsoo’s doing; distracting you by plotting English guards on French borders so he can focus the attack inside Scotland. I am not entirely certain if this news is true or plainly accusation but if it is, then Kyungsoo is far stronger than we have imagined.”

Baekhyun contemplated as he cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. “My Mother had warned me about this news. He seems to think that it is plausible from the English’ perspective. If the King fulfills, I would like soldiers to sail towards Scotland tonight, aside from the ones to be stationed in the French borders.”

Both Yifan and Jaejoong looked at Baekhyun, seeming to not get a hold of the Queen’s request. “Are you out of your mind? You want French soldiers to go to Scotland? For this?” Jaejoong incredulously asked.

“My people are what makes my country and I need them to trust in me. There are several attempted coups and if I don’t help in stopping them, my people will turn their backs on me,” Baekhyun leveled his voice and focused on Jaejoong, “and you will no longer have an ally. I still have a legitimate claim on the throne, despite Kyungsoo being Queen of England.” Baekhyun emphasized as his tone sterned.

“This is outrageous!” Jaejoong exclaimed. “You want France to be powerless? Do you not know that fifty countries are looking at us for every move that may pose as a sign of weakness?” Jaejoong fumed as he glared at the young Queen. “Do not take France with your dying country!”

The Young Queen’s face hardened a bit before speaking curtly. “I do not like the way you treat my country, Jaejoong.” Despite the tension between him and Jaejoong, he looks at Yifan unnerved. “I am requesting for aid for my country, Yifan. This is only temporary, I assure you no harm will come to our soldiers. I only need a few men, around a thousand, to ensure my people that I am still looking out for them.”

Yifan kept silent as he thought on the different possibilities should he grant Baekhyun’s request. The war could ensue any time the moment the soldiers are on their way to Scotland. It’s not because his soldiers are few, it’s the strength of those soldiers that will be gone if he does comply with Baekhyun’s request. There are also a lot at stake once these soldiers left the land, and he will no longer have their lives at hand. Though, if he does not grant this request, Baekhyun will completely slip out of his hold and the trust could never be regained. Scotland could lose to Protestants wanting to overthrow Baekhyun and if it happens, their alliance will shaken. France will weaken and trade and other businesses could become at risk. He cannot afford to lose both Baekhyun and Scotland.

Jaejoong looked perplexed at Yifan whose face seemed resolved on granting Baekhyun’s request. “Yifan, I am warning you. You seriously cannot be considering this!”

Baekhyun knows the gravity of his request yet he deigned to “take advantage” of the situation. This benefits all of them, albeit securing his crown on his own country. It had only been a few days since they both are on good terms and he didn’t want to take on this request but it is needed. He hopes Yifan will take on the right choice.

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun, but I cannot allow a thousand soldiers to leave the country. I could allow about a half and that is it.” Yifan looked straight in Baekhyun’s eyes, seeking forgiveness but the sadness in Yifan’s eyes could never be denied. He wanted to tell him that he wanted to, but the country will weaken in the eyes of Kyungsoo and all the other enemies abroad. “Baekhyun, our military resources are at their breaking point.”

Baekhyun lost his will to retaliate. Five hundred soldiers. Will it be enough to stop the coups? I don’t know. I..don’t know. Despite the overwhelming worry clawing in his head, he responds gratefully. “Thank you, Yifan. It would be a great help.”

 

 

Jaejoong walks hastily to his chambers, bearing the news in his mind and heart. If this continues, France could lose their military resources and this will create a definite dent in their country’s defense and political standing abroad. He sees Junsu making his way to his chambers.

“What a very nice surprise you have for France, Junsu.” Jaejoong cleared his throat. “Masking your motive by attending the feast but slowly turning on your wheels to rob us off a thousand soldiers?” Jaejoong scoffed. “Clever.”

“This accusation is uncustomary. I am merely doing my duties as his mother, Jaejoong. It’s not like Baekhyun is at Scotland, knowing every thing that is happening. You wouldn’t even understand, especially with you always at Yifan’s side on every whim.”

“Never accuse my son of anything. I am warning you, Junsu.” Jaejoong’s face hardened as he grit his teeth.

“I will accuse anyone who needs to be accused,” Junsu looked at him, mirroring the same serious and hardened expression, “so don’t you dare lay a hand on Baekhyun, and I will see to it that you will be forever locked up in the dungeons and won’t be allowed any contact with Yifan or even, Sehun.” Junsu spoke softly but with words of venom and stepped forward before he smiled. “Now, let’s not be hostile with each other.”

“You..”

“Ah-uh.” Junsu smiled. “Let us not ruin this night. Good night, Jaejoong.” He turned his back as he continued making his way back to his chambers, leaving Jaejoong behind seething.

As soon as Junsu reached his chambers, he was shocked to see Baekhyun, sitting on his couch across the fireplace.

“Mother, I need you to go back to Scotland tonight together with 500 French soldiers and this will have to be enough. This military power display can testify that I, Queen Baekhyun, is still their Queen and that anyone who defies me, will merit severe punishments.”

 

 

-----

 

A/N: The font is different than the previous updates and I am really sorry about this. I'm fixing it, or rather trying, but Safari won't cooperate with me. :<  Also, I promised myself I would update tonight and if I will do it any later, I won't be satisfied. I have been feeling rather down lately simply coz I can't update regularly but I will really try my best to finish this. His Majesty is almost nearing the end. I still can't say whether it will end in 2 or 3 chapters but it will, soon. LOL. Anyway, I hope  you like this update and looking forward for your comments down below! :)