An Inkling of Hope

His Majesty

Yifan walks out of Baekhyun’s chamber, heart filled with brick-weight sadness and pain. He thinks he has lost himself another chance to correct his mistakes. He felt prolonging the matter and avoiding him would let himself get healed, his emotions intact. Yet the absence made it even worse. He no longer felt the will to live.

 

Baekhyun was his only purpose to live. His mother would drill in his mind the importance of ruling their country and he kept it safely hidden in his conscious mind. When Baekhyun arrived in the Court, his priorities dwindled and even became unstable when he was about to have a child. No amount of material wealth could measure how much Yifan felt at that time.

 

No matter how happy and reliable he seemed, problems at court kept on and he had no choice but do his duties as the ruler of France. He often neglected Baekhyun and the latter often times skipped out the matters of the Court to rest his profound morning sickness. When their first child died unborn, the situation worsened and he felt himself detach farther from Baekhyun. The latter blamed himself and made walls to protect himself from feelings Yifan might bring, eventually pushing away even his attending servants.

 

As he rounded up the corner, he sees Sehun busy talking to a guard, making wild gestures and looking rather anxious. “Sehun?”

 

Sehun looks away from the guard to catch the King’s questioning gaze and dismissed the guard quickly. “Your Grace.”

 

“No need for formalities. Why do you seem so distressed? Is there anything the matter?” Yifan pointedly looked at his brother who looked away as if to hide his distraught.

 

Contemplating on the gravity of the message, Sehun looked ashamed to be the bearer of such shocking, bad news. “Yifan, I bear shocking news. Junsu is on his way to attend tonight’s feast. He is near our coast, as warned by guards patrolling the perimeter. He made sure to let you know and he’s quite expecting for you to show him a royal homage, as he ‘subtly’ emphasized in this request.” He made a face. “Yifan, this matter speaks of urgent and utmost attention of His Highness.”

 

Yifan huffed. “After all the troubles he caused, he’s expecting this kind of welcome from me.” He shook his head as he smirked. “Well then, as soon as he arrives let him be announced. I think this will also be a good chance to win over Baekhyun’s heart.”

 

“Right away, my King.”

 

Sehun moved to instruct the guards but Yifan started, “Brother, how are you and Lady Lu Han?”

 

Sehun reddened as he stuttered, “We-we’re fine. Why do you ask?”

 

Yifan had a knowing look in his face. “Am I such a bad King to not have a care on my own brother’s life?”

 

“It’s not that, Yifan. I’m just taking things slow.”

 

“You live in the court, Sehun. What are the connections for?” Yifan laughed. “What do you need? I’ll help you.”

 

“No, Yifan. Just let me do it my way. But thank you for your concern. If there is anything that I would need help, I will count on you.”

 

“Suit yourself, dear brother. Just tell me when.” Yifan looked proud at the masculinity his brother exuded. He no longer was the adamant little child who gets his way by being childish. He guesses the court strengthened his core and toughened his soul and finds himself taking pity on the nineteen year old.

 

Sehun looked grateful as he grinned, “Tonight.”

 

 

It had been a while before the Queen calmed down and asked to be left alone. Baekhyun wanted fresh air and so he planned to take a walk in the lakeside despite the winter air. The sun is up and he is thankful for the hope it brings in his heart. It took only a few steps away from the castle’s gates that he opted to go back in the comforts of his room, explaining that the season is too cold for someone to go out of the castle’s warmth. He suddenly remembered he didn’t need to explain, seeing as his King wasn’t by his side. Once more.

 

He sits by his working table and sifts through the letters waiting to be answered.

 

 

As the ladies made their way towards the banquet hall, worries and exasperated expressions were visibly etched in their faces that the servants quickly moved away from their path. Giving the Queen some time seemed like the most rational idea for him to be alone with his thoughts, yet the three ladies seemed it was such a bad move. As they rounded up the corner, whispers were evident and Lu Han seeming to can’t take the servants disrespectful behavior observes the mini circle of servants in one corner. He quickly made his way to the said circle and cleared his throat. “I am aware that we are preparing for the feast happening in less than four hours, am I not correct?

 

The servants quickly bowed down. “Yes, Milady. Forgive us.”

 

Lu Han shook his head and muttered, “Is it me or servants nowadays enjoy gossips lurking in every corner of this castle?”

 

Jongdae went near him and whispered, “Lu Han, stop taking your anger out on the servants. Why are you even mad?”

 

“I’m not mad. I’m just really, really upset with what’s happening to Baekhyun right now.” Lu Han said as they resumed walking towards the hall.

 

“Well, who isn't concerned? And I’m starving. We haven’t even had lunch. I think the Queen hadn’t eaten yet. We should ask one of the servants to give him food, at least some chicken broth or herbed bread.” Jongdae mused. Zitao nodded as he kept silent.

 

“Yes, we should.” He called one servant and instructed to give the Queen food in his quarters. Watching the servant walk away, he leaned back as he whispered, “We might as well just let him be. He knows we’ll always be by his side no matter what so all we need to do is support him, right?” Lu Han said as he focused on the task at hand. He desperately wanted to believe Baekhyun will come to them but he knows that he is one stubborn man and he will never ask anyone else for help.

 

The hall looks lovely and alive as vases filled with chrysanthemums were placed in each table, lit candles accompanying the vases and silverware neatly placed on each. The tapestries were changed from an elegant royal red with gold stitchings and linings to a midnight blue with silver linings. The crystal chandelier was polished once again with new candles to support the lighting for the entire hall. The banquet table has been filled with food to be served by maids at a later time.

 

“What else seems to be missing? Am I forgetting something? The candles are perched right up there, same as the lamps on the sides, the flowers are neatly placed, vases are good. Oh! The wine!” Lu Han looked around for a nearby servant.

 

“Lu Han, would you please stop checking things out! For the last time, everything is already set. Well, except for the wine.” Zitao sighed.

 

Lu Han lost all his patience and cleared his throat, “Will anyone, please, inform me of our wine for the night? I do not want to serve a faux. Our guests are important people, not important as our King and Queen of course. I don’t want them to think that we do not value allies.”

 

One servant scurried towards the ladies and showed them a bottle of one of the most delicious and famous aged wine in all of France, the Château Mont-Redon and Lu Han furrowed his eyebrows as if to contemplate whether to serve this one or another one with equal quality.

 

“Lu Han, it’s just wine. Let them serve the Château Mont-Redon.”

 

“Are you sure about this? Zitao, tonight is crucial especially with the current happenings in the country. I don’t want to mess this up. I don’t want to fail our Queen.” Lu Han handed the wine back to the servant and sighed. “Alright, serve this Château later. Do we have enough barrels for tonight?”

 

The servant nodded and Lu Han made a sign of acknowledgement as he dismissed the servant and looked back to his fellow ladies. “I think everything is set. We must now find dresses for tonight.”

 

Jongdae groaned, “Finally! The highlight of my day, fitting gowns. I was told that our dresses from Paris have arrived in Court. We must be quick so we could help Baekhyun find a suitable wardrobe.” The other two nodded.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun recalled the earlier’s exchanges and he felt bad. If I don’t push him away, he would be the one to hurt me again and I cannot risk that. It has only been recent that I feel like my heart is whole again and I cannot take it if it once again shatters. Forgive me, Yifan. I love you but this love has already hurt us both and I can’t ever forgive myself if something ever happens to you.

 

A knock on the door startled him. “Yes?”

 

His guard went in announcing the arrival of their wardrobe for tonight’s feast. “Your Majesty, your clothes from Paris have arrived. Lady Jongdae, Lady Lu Han and Lady Zitao are already in the clothing room.”

 

“Is that so? Alright. Thank you. I will be going then.” The Queen meekly replied. As soon as he was about to follow the guard, the three ladies all arrived looking dashing in the gowns they picked themselves. On their hands are several dresses for the Queen to pick.

 

“We brought your clothes, Your Majesty!” Zitao grinned as he raised his hands a bit and showed the garments he is holding. The other two showed theirs as well.

 

“We brought a lot of clothes, Baek, because we were at a disagreement on what you would wear for tonight’s feast.” Lu Han eyed Zitao as the other gave an impish grin.

 

Baekhyun smiled as he took the dress from Lu Han’s hands and examined the emerald green velvet dress, golden embroidery of leaves on the sleeves’ hem, its neckline and on its waist. He marvelled at the sight of the luscious green it gave off yet Jongdae’s pale silver silk dress with a black sash to tie around the waist is also eye-catching. On Zitao’s hands lay an off-white dress with gold leafy stitchings around the neckline flowing towards the chest area and golden small vines littered the hem of the dress. His ladies know his taste and he greatly feels disturbed on having to choose from what they brought.

 

“Oh you sure do know me so well, Lu Han. I love all these dresses!” He gushed on the fabrics as he smiled at each and one of his ladies. “ I absolutely adore the colors on each and I just want to wear them all.”

 

“We know you like these and that’s the reason why we couldn’t agree on what to choose for you.” Jongdae smiled.

 

Baekhyun wanted to prepare his best on this night. A part of him feels that there is something magical that is about to happen tonight and he wants to accept whatever it is openly. He banks on the idea of wearing the green velvet dress yet he is certain that Yifan wouldn’t wear anything green.

 

Jongdae sensed that Baekhyun feels heavily disoriented. It might be because of what happened earlier in the day, but his gut tells him otherwise. “What is it, my Queen?”

 

“It’s nothing. Do not worry, my lady. And, I want to wear this,” pointing on Zitao’s hands, “yet it feels inappropriate for this season. It feels like it’s my wedding again if I do.” Baekhyun laughed.

 

“See? What did I tell you, Zitao?” Lu Han smirked.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty. It does seem inappropriate to wear for tonight’s feast.” Zitao softly muttered.

 

“Don’t feel disheartened, Zitao. I will wear this when the time is right. For now, I would like to wear this, if it is alright with you.” Baekhyun motioned for the dress and the three ladies nodded in agreement.

 

“It’s perfect, Your Majesty.” Jongdae smiled. Yet despite his polite response, he is disturbed on the Queen’s behavior. He acts as if nothing has happened, like it was just another day in the life at the Court. As if Yifan siding with his mother once more is totally normal.

 

 

As soon as the ladies were busy helping Baekhyun prepare for the feast, Jongdae  quietly slipped out of his chamber and walked towards the other end of the hall. He sees two guards standing in front of the chamber and asked to be announced.

 

The guards turned around to knock on the door, “Your Grace, Lady Jongdae wishes an audience with you.”

 

As soon as the guard made way for Jongdae to enter, he feigned shock on the King’s attire for the night. Noticing that Jongdae hasn’t spoken a word, Yifan looked at him and cleared his throat.

 

“Forgive me, Your Grace. I was too stunned to greet you.”

 

“Finding myself too dashing, I presume?” Yifan kids.

 

Jongdae laughed a little, and decides to humour the King. “It would seem so, Yifan.”

 

Yifan laughs. He stops a little to notice the gap between him and Jongdae. He feels unwanted yet familiar with Jongdae’s presence that he easily identifies it as just him being the Queen’s lady and so close with the Queen himself. “What is it you wish to see me about?”

 

“I know it is not my business and I am very much aware of that, but Yifan, how are you?”

 

“I am quite fine, Jongdae. What seems to be the problem?” Yifan evades the question.

 

“I meant, how are you?” Jongdae stepped forward. “I am asking this not because you are my King but because you are also my friend.” Jongdae sighed. “This has been going on for months. I am too distressed for the two of you.”

 

Yifan looks away and decides to entertain Jongdae’s curiosity. “I know, but overtime I try to reach out to him, he pushes me away. I cannot help but think this is punishment for me trying to push him away. I deeply regret that. I just wish you all knew how hard it was for me. I just wish he knew.”

 

Jongdae looked on the sad profile of the King before him. He sees a very different façade, one he didn’t think the King would even have. “I completely understand, but please find it in your heart to understand Baekhyun as well. Both of you have been in immense pain and I think he just needs a little bit more time to let him come to terms with himself. I have been with him ever since that day and I assure you, he has not even forgiven himself yet. He trusts you, Yifan. He did. But now, I’m not so sure.” Jongdae looks away as he bit his lip, saying too much already. He trusts his mouth to speak the honest truth despite the ultimate idea of secrecy.

 

Yifan looks at Jongdae’s back and mutters, “What should I do then? I can’t express my feelings very well and I’m sure Baekhyun knows that.”

 

“Just try to be there for him, let him feel that even if he has been drifting away from you, you will always be with him. Let him trust you once more, Yifan. Be the Yifan we once knew.”

 

And Yifan had a little inkling in his heart on what he should do.

 

 

 

-----

 

A/N: I AM REALLY SORRY FOR BEING MIA THESE DAYS ㅠㅠ I hope you guys forgive me. It has been really a rollercoaster of emotions these past few weeks and I had no strength/motivation/inspiration to update this fic. Believe me, I am so desperate for you guys to see how this one flows and ends but I really have no inspiration. I'm sure some of you (or all of you) would think this chapter feels like a filler one so I am really sorry for giving you a crappy update (after monthssss :<). I am trying to put in much events in one update for the remaining chapters and I hope for you guys to be patient with me. I've told you, chaptered fics aren't my forte (sounds like I'm giving a lot of excuses for my crappy update/work), but I am trying so hard to give my readers quality work.

 

Also, it feels like a part of the reason why I am really not inspired to update this is because Reign Season 3 isn't airing any time soon but on October 9, which is like lightyears away. LOL kidding. But yeah, I am really trying my best to give much depth and content for the next chapters.

 

Last one, I would probably be MIA again because recently I've been sleeping late, doing God knows what, (kidding) and waking up like around the afternoon and that I still have to fix my life hahaha. No, I need to look for a job already because my sister is kicking me out and I'm a parasite in my parents' house. Basically, I'm not really looking for one because I am so lazy to surf the web. But then again, excuses.

 

 

I AM SORRY FOR BORING YOU WITH THIS LONG-A** AUTHOR'S NOTE AND OKAY... I'm shutting up now.