The Other Side

His Majesty

 

 

— ENGLAND —

 

“We propose to eliminate the English throne’s threats, Your Majesty.” 

The Privy Council sat across a long oaken table as the most trustworthy advisers to the Kingdom of England discussed the imminent threat; Baekhyun’s legitimate claim to the throne and his Catholicism. Lord Chanyeol, one of the Queen’s trusted Nobles lead the discussion. “Such strong opposing religious views across our borders may potentially harm England. We may have a way to counteract such actions. Who is it that empowers Baekhyun? Isn’t it the Catholic Lords?"

“You are forgetting Rome, but proceed. I’m listening.” Queen Kyungsoo, the current Queen of England, raised his brow.

Lord Chanyeol remained steady for his claim. “Your Majesty, I am saying to disempower him. We will only need to cut off his support.”

“So we make the Catholic Lords switch sides? Those Nobles are loyal to Baekhyun. They will definitely face treason.”

“You need not worry about treason, Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol stared at Kyungsoo as the latter looked pointedly at the impolite tone. “The Protestant Lords in Scotland are all willing to follow you, my Queen.” He amended. This is a very good chance to attack. Several Protestant Lords in France have also been planning an uprising against France’s current regime. Yifan had been containing these attacks quite well, if I may add, but Baekhyun’s influence and power in Scotland is flickering. Lord Heechul and his family had already switched sides and have been a Protestant High-born influential family for a few weeks now.” Chanyeol sought Kyungsoo’s eyes to which the latter returned with equal respect. “It has also come to my attention that there are plans for a Protestant Reformation in Scotland. I suggest we target this as well.” Chanyeol continued. The other Nobles agreed as they, too, see how beneficial attacking from within could damage the Scottish Queen.

Kyungsoo pondered his options for a bit. Attacking from within is probably the best plan of action as of this moment. However, this is only temporary. I need something to make him give up the throne and I don’t think having the Catholic Lords switch sides could be the only way. “Did you say Lord Heechul switched sides?” Kyungsoo questioned towards his Privy Council who in turn, nodded their heads. I wonder what prompted him to do so. He’s a very powerful man and a dear friend of Baekhyun. It seems a little astonishing how he would just abandon his religious views. Something seemed odd and it greatly piqued the Queen’s interest. Lord Heechul is a devious man, and if I were Baekhyun I would have definitely expected him to be the first one to betray me. “Alright. Do as you will. Just be entirely accurate this will go smoothly as planned.” Kyungsoo dismissed. Lord Chanyeol is the Queen’s trusted advisor and he knew the man meant well. “See to it that everything is in order, Lord Chanyeol. It is vital that we act according to our strategies, else we fail and we lose everything. You may go.”

The Nobles took this as a sign to leave the hall and as soon as everyone else left, Kyungsoo turned to Chanyeol. “I hardly believe this will make Baekhyun renounce his claim to the English throne.” Deep within, he feared for his life and his rule. As an illegitimate child, the English Nobles who have always been the Do family’s enemies targeted him for not being acclaimed by the Vatican, angering them even more when he got hold of the crown.

“It is a step. Once Baekhyun sets foot back in Scotland and realizes he no longer has allies, is when we are certain of our victory.” Chanyeol paused. He visibly gulped, gaze attempting to fix on Kyungsoo’s eyes. “I have some other news to tell, Kyungsoo.”

“Well?” Kyungsoo raised his brows.

“It has also come to my attention that the King of France is deeply ill. My sources even say he could die, and if he does, Jaejoong will have to be the country’s regent seeing as the Dauphin is still not of age.”

“Not of age? Yet he is marrying one of my cousins’ ladies? This is outrageous.” Kyungsoo’s dry laugh echoed throughout the empty meeting room. The double standards his cousin is practicing left him practically humourless. If Yifan dies, Baekhyun will be left alone, helpless, vulnerable even; more attractive for a new prospective alliance. Kyungsoo feared the thought. "Are you certain this union is happening?”

“Yes. I have been told Baekhyun gave his blessing to both of them.”

“I’m sure Yifan agreed to this as well.” Kyungsoo chuckled as he looked at Chanyeol, the latter nodding his head. “Baekhyun always has his way with men. You and I both know this is quite well-known. Of course, Yifan would grant this marriage. Highly in character, if you ask me.” Kyungsoo scoffed. He had always acknowledged Baekhyun’s ability to get men bow down to his feet, be it by his youthful beauty or his gentle leadership and persuasion. He never once saw Baekhyun, he never even had an inkling to what he might have looked like but he knew rumors don’t just come from ill-spouted lies. Even former English ambassadors sent to France to negotiate with the Queen all say the rumors don’t do him justice. He was a rare beauty despite the stern governance, so he knew Yifan, as a man, would be wrapped around his finger.

Yet, even as Kyungsoo himself acknowledged this, it still made him feel inferior and useless against Baekhyun’s laidback acceptance to his ladies’ marriage. Something he can’t quite do for himself.

There was a momentary silence as Kyungsoo buried himself deep in his thought when the door grumbled as it opened revealing the castle’s guard in. “Your Majesty, news from the Eastern border.”

“What is it?”

“The French troops sent by the Scottish Queen are falling.”

Kyungsoo grinned as he felt confidence flow in his veins once more. “Let the threats rest for a few days and let Baekhyun know about his impending loss.” He instructed. As soon as they guard left them both, Kyungsoo turned back to Chanyeol. “Are there any news for the French Ambassadorship nominations? I hear Lord Yixing is one of them. Make sure Yixing gets the nomination, I have a feeling he can do a proper job than Lord Yoochun. Have him deliver this message to my dear cousin.”

 

— FRANCE —

 

Yifan laid still on the bed, holding Baekhyun’s hand tightly. Baekhyun was about to get Changmin but the latter’s hold on him tightened. “Baekhyun,” he whispered, his voice hoarse. Yifan still looked pale, beads of sweat littered his forehead and it was the most painful sight Baekhyun had ever seen. This was one of Baekhyun’s feared moments, having to see Yifan in pain. Looking at a weak Yifan left a huge mark on his heart, one he’s sure he wouldn’t ever forget.

“Yes, my love?” Baekhyun mustered every bit of courage left in his body. The King falling ill had been quite a surprise to everyone, especially to him and it almost made him faint but he had to be strong. “If it is not of utmost urgency, please, Yifan, rest. I will have Changmin right away.” Baekhyun brushed strands of hair out of Yifan’s eyes as he called out for a servant to call for the Royal Physician. “Tell Changmin he is needed.”

As the servant took his leave silently, Baekhyun’s attention went back immediately to his King. He looked at Yifan’s tightly shut eyes, his breathing shallow and his hold on his hand still tight. The color from his skin dulled drastically and seeing him this weak crushed his heart. “Yifan, my love, stay with me. Alright? Just, if you can, look into my eyes and stay with me.” He whispered, almost as if to chant the words and let its magic work on him.

Yifan slowly fluttered his lids open to try to look at Baekhyun, the Queen he loved so deeply. Each breath he took felt like a million daggers in his body, yet as he looked at his deep love, he felt so serene. He looked at his hair, soft and silky under his touch, his eyes which used to be twinkling like the stars at night, his button nose which always looked so delightful, and to his lips that curve slightly downwards but look luscious to kiss. He reached out to caress his face and whispered, “You’re the most beautiful Queen I have ever seen.” He gently smiled, his chapped lips cracking, drawing blood. “I am the luckiest man to have ever lived this world.”

Baekhyun softly chuckled. “I see that you and your humor have been uninfluenced by your illness.” He slowly leaned forward and kissed Yifan’s forehead, eyes shutting and kiss lingering a little too long. He didn’t want to acknowledge the truth, he cannot even bear to think it, but his heart wrenched in pain and distress. As he moved away, he felt empty. “And you are the most attractive, kind, fair, compassionate and the strongest man my eyes has ever laid on.” Baekhyun smiled and caressed Yifan’s hand lovingly. “How are you feeling?”

Yifan groaned, his head dizzying and his throat dry. “A little better. I told you it might just be the heat.” He whispered as he gulped with a little difficulty. Baekhyun knew he was lying so he gently broke himself away from Yifan and poured a glass of water from his bedside table. He silently watched Baekhyun tend to him, feeling a little lightheaded and overwhelmed. Baekhyun walked towards their shared bed, helping Yifan sit up and lean on their headboard as he helped him drink from the goblet. “I suppose I needed a little water. My throat has been parched.” He coughed a bit, the action sending tiny little needles scratching his throat. “You always know what I need. You’re my guardian angel in this life. How have I been so blessed to have you by my side?”

Baekhyun smiled, Yifan’s compliment engulfing his worried heart. “Are you really certain you’re not feeling well? Your generosity in compliments are quite overwhelming.” He laughed softly, slowly caressing Yifan’s hair and swiftly wiping his sweat by his hand. “Have it together, my love. Changmin will be arriving soon and you will be alright.”

 

— ENGLAND —

 

Chanyeol excused himself to attend to the Queen’s orders, leaving Kyungsoo alone with his thoughts. He breathed a sigh as he rested his head on the table, allowing his breath to ghost over it. This was rare, a tired Kyungsoo, slumping his entire upper body on the meeting hall’s table. Baekhyun had already woven his existence in his life and he felt really displeased. His existence remains to be such a threat to his crown that he felt really exhausted of having to deal with the Queen of Scots constantly.

But Baekhyun is the least of his worries.

Kyungsoo felt imprisoned in his own castle, much less than his own country. The distaste from the Noblemen’s eyes everytime he holds council always reels him back. Nobody would dare say anything towards the Queen of England and he has his stoic face to thank for that, but behind the strong, confident, serious and deathly gaze is a Queen who felt the entire world conspired against him. He was ruling a country where the loyalty of his very own Privy Council are questionable. He knew they were loyal to England, but are they loyal to the Queen

But the Queen IS England.

And Kyungsoo took comfort in that thought. 

Chanyeol’s words rang in his head, thoughts swarmed at him and he felt his throat constrict. If Yifan dies, Baekhyun will no longer be the Queen of France and a huge possibility that the Vatican could let go of their support to the Queen of Scots. When Yifan dies, Baekhyun will be powerless.

But as Kyungsoo wanted to revel in that victory, he knew deep down it was not right. Deep down, he cared.

 

 

 

---

 

A/N: After 3 months, I can't believe I'm updating this now lol I originally wanted to add more towards the end but my friend said it's better if I add it to the next chapter. I am not too sure if you guys still read this lol but for those who do, thank you so much :) You guys make me want to finish this even more. Also, I'd like to apologize that I didn't have the time to write and update this due to work. I have been working late for the past month and I just wanna pass out lol but when I do have the time, I try to write more. It doesn't even help that I write for a living so it's kind of hard to write fics when you're so drained from work :< But I do hope that you like this update. Thank you for taking the time to read this A/N and I hope you still continue to support His Majesty~<3