Their Happiness (2)

His Majesty

 

 

It is ultimately believed that social status and self-worth are two completely related things and that one cannot have it without the other. Any Nobleman who fancies the disturbingly dirty politics would testify that these two things are completely interrelated. However, Lu Han would mostly be singled out for being a Lady of the Court with a Lord’s thought process. He believed that without social status, there would be no self-worth and he imbibed this in his very soul. There was someone, however, who taught him otherwise and that was Sehun. He made him realize that these two things in life should not always go hand-in-hand.

“I don’t understand why you are completely like this, milady.” Sehun heaved a sigh. “It is common for the Noblemen to think that way because of politics, but you are different. You should not be thinking about this at all. Anyone who is the Queen’s lady would all be of self-worth and even just being born from a Noble family alone is already enough to have an edge on your social status. But these are two different things for a Lady such as yourself, Lady Lu Han. Whether you have both or not, being Queen Baekhyun’s lady is already enough. Let not the politics harm you, milady. It is evil, treacherous and tempting but it will only leave you wanting more as you get a taste of it. Leave politics alone to all the Noblemen.” Sehun warned.

It was like a little nip at the back of his head, the way those words circled in his mind like a plague eager to destroy everything in its path. He sought the other ladies’ opinions to reassure himself of this thought yet they could only agree with what the King’s brother had said. The Privy Council are the only ones allowed to think that self-worth and social status should be woven together. Lady Lu Han was a lady of the court and a highborn Noblewoman. As appointed ladies, they are either wed upon the Queen’s permission and blessing or be faithful to the Queen himself. There are many things Lu Han have promised himself but there is only one he holds dearly — to be utterly faithful to Baekhyun, be it by doing measly secretarial tasks or acquiring information discreetly for the Queen’s reference.

On this day, where the mighty younger brother of the King dared to announce his intention of betrothing one of Baekhyun’s ladies, Lu Han thought of all the possibilities that could happen the morning after. It would be something new, something Changmin— the Royal seer and physician, could not predict, something against his beliefs. Yet, these notions seem unimportant. It was all a hazy, soundless scenario playing in his head, slowly being erased by the astonishing happiness engulfing his entire body. Seeing Sehun before him, kneeling and holding his hand and asking him for marriage took him back to the day he first saw him.

Lu Han had arrived at French Court without knowing anyone else beside his fellow ladies and Scotland’s Young Queen Baekhyun. His mother told him that his duty would now be to Baekhyun, his friend and Queen — that this would be his new home and that he must adhere to every law enforced and norm dictated. But something deep in him feels lonely and miserable just by the thought of it. Several generations of his family have been ladies of the court and so he was destined to follow ever since. “You will now be the Young Queen’s lady, Lu Han. It is a very special and honorable task.” His mother once said. “There are a lot of ladies all over the country seeking to be the Young Queen’s lady and you coming from a long line of serving the crown is very lucky. You must relish it. Do your tasks well, attend to his requests and never over-step your boundaries. I served the Queen Mother Junsu until the day he gave his blessing for me to marry your father so I know how it all goes out. Do not be disheartened, my dear. Zitao and Jongdae were also chosen as the Young Queen’s ladies. You are all of the same age, you do not need to worry.” And so he did not. “But remember, your worth is only at this level, any advancing would have to be under the Queen’s supervision and approval.” That is what he believed in. That is what his mother had told him. And so, his journey with the Queen started on this day, the moment they have stepped foot in the castle’s grounds.

As they were all walking in the French Court’s massive garden towards where the King and Queen of France stood waiting for them, he looked at each and every person’s faces, noticing how everyone seemed totally different from back home. And then he spotted him.

He stood quietly and mightily, might he add, behind the Dauphin of France, the young Queen of Scotland’s betrothed. Or so he thought it was the Dauphin. The young man was tall, broad-shouldered and young, too. He looked rather masculine despite the young age, and his stance seemed guarded.

Queen Baekhyun continued to walk towards them, with all of them silently following behind. Lu Han met the young man’s eyes which blinked rapidly and avoided his stare. He wondered if he was the Dauphin’s brother because he looked a lot like Yifan — that and the air of being a high-born prince. The Dauphin’s brother looked dashing and Lu Han secretly harbored a little attraction for him, just a little that he even scolded himself for letting himself feel these inappropriate feelings.

As they stood before the King and Queen of France, both Royals acknowledged each other’s presence and bowed dutifully with smiles on their faces. The Dauphin walked before the Young Queen, stretched out his hand and urged the latter to take a hold of it. Baekhyun smiled in gladness to his betrothed. Sehun, whose name has been whispered all around the crowd and the presumed Dauphin’s brother, silently offered his hand for Lu Han to take and for his ladies to follow and be guided accordingly to his side. He feels butterflies in his stomach from being near him and the electrifying current from holding his hand. He momentarily forgets his duty, forgetting his loyalty lies to the Young Queen, but he shook his head. He wasn’t sure how practices and norms are in France but he guarded himself well.

Lu Han felt tense but couldn’t help the way the Dauphin exuded warmth. Just like home.

 

A subtle clearing of throat broke him from his memories as he gazed back at his hand and on to the eyes of the one who holds it. Pride, happiness, fear and a huge amount of love overflows through his veins that it lead to tears staining his eyes. “Do you remember the day we arrived at Court?” Lu Han smiled gently as he looked at Sehun’s nervous eyes. The latter nodded. “Do you remember what season it was?”

Sehun stilled, his face contorting in confusion. He immediately thought back on the day the Scots have arrived at the Court and guiltily shook his head. Lu Han looked expectant and he felt guilty for not remembering what season it was. In his defense, he never imagined they would come to this day after everything that has happened. All he remembered was that the sun had been shining so bright and that he was blinded the moment his eyes landed on Lu Han’s serious one. He held his breath the moment he saw Lu Han look at him seriously, as if he had mentioned something unforgivable. Sehun tried to stop the thoughts of anxiety floating in his head but the way Lu Han looked at him was too undecipherable.

Lu Han sensed the uncertainty enveloping Sehun’s rigid stance. He thought of playing Sehun but decided it would be inappropriate, given the circumstance. Instead, he paused before slowly breaking out into a warm smile. “It was spring. Just like today.” He softly said as he carressed Sehun’s cheek and looked him in the eye. Lu Han felt tearing up, the thought of being a married man gave him the right amount of chills and happiness that he couldn’t contain them. He reached out to Sehun’s elbows as he helped him stand up as he softly whispered, “Yes, Sehun. Yes.” The tears in his eyes were proof of how this love has hurt him emotionally. “Now we can watch all the seasons come and go together.” He hugged him tight, a few tears escaping his eyes but nontheless a wide smile upon their lips.

“Until the day I die, I promise to make you happy.” Sehun gently pulled Lu Han and hugged him, securing a kiss on the top of his head before tightening his hold on him. “I love you, I always have.”

The scene before them made everyone sniffle that Jongdae had to turn himself away to wipe his tears. A family gets to marry the Dauphin and Jongdae couldn’t be any happier. From a distance, Baekhyun smiled as he wiped a tear that fell from his eye. He was so glad that finally one of his ladies will get the happy ending he deserves. He softly sniffled as he felt a soft cloth pat on his cheeks, drying his tears away. He looked at Yifan, the latter’s hand holding the handkerchief as Baekhyun’s blushing cheeks gave away his embarrassment from crying over something like this. Yifan gave a soft smile as he tightened his hug on Baekhyun, the latter securing himself even more to his warmth. “I love you.” Baekhyun softly whispered.

“I love you even more.”

 

 

===

 

 

A/N: I know I have been in and out of this, I'm sorry. It seems that everytime I give an update, I always say sorry :< But this time, the reason why I couldn't update this was because of the story conflicts I kept on editing. It has nothing to do with this Lu Han/Sehun chapters but how everything will be after this. I've been weighing a lot on how this would go and my friends who I've always asked for suggestions kept on telling me to go with my original outline but I really wanted to tweak a few parts here and there so as to not really be totally associated to Reign.

Another reason why I couldn't update this chapter was because since I'm still weighing on the story's progress, it might totally be a long time before I update the next chapter. But since I realized that I'm being very unfair to you guys (and to the new subscribers -- YAY THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THIS~ <3<3<3), I decided it's time to give the second half of "Their Happiness". I'm working on the next chapters and I'm just figuring out how to balance the events out/splitting the storyline into two or three chapters, maybe add in a few more things but please anticipate the next ones~ <3 I love you guys! And please comment, subscribe, upvote (if you like it lol) this story~ Til the next update! :)