The Queen's Ladies-in-Waiting and Feuds in The Royal Court

His Majesty

 

 

The next day, the banquet hall is thick with excitement as two dashing young men get busy with ornaments and various sashes and wreaths to hang for the balcony’s rails, even arranging floral vases in each round table. Everything looks lively, far from the raging cold winter snow the season is bringing at the moment, but the people inside the court is alive with the incoming season of hope.

 

“No. Please move it to your left. Just a little bit. Oh no, no, no. Move it back. Yes, please, move it to my right. Yes. A little more. Great! Thank you!" Lu Han looked at the garland of flowers ranging from chrysanthemums to baby’s breath, daisies to lilies hanging from the balcony and looked around for a certain man which seemed taller than the two other men. "Zitao! Come, look!"

The said man tilted his head and looked on to where Lu Han, his best friend and fellow Lady-in-Waiting seems to be busy about. Looking very tall, but with built so frail and thin, raven black hair with silver beads adorning his head and black velvet dress  with silver stitchings touching the floor, Lady Zitao walks with elegance and poise glued to his elite background.

 

“Lu Han, I am sure that everything is already in order. The hall looks great! Why are you so concerned for this one garland hanging meters above us? It will not be the guests’ concern, nor shall it be yours.” Zitao smiled at Lu Han who looked rather unconvinced of the ornament dangling from the ceiling.

 

“I am not sure but, look! I really think it’s a bit bare on that side. Don’t you think so? Besides, I want it to look perfect. It’s a celebration for hope! We should all be prepared and dressed for it. I don’t have any reason for the banquet hall to be left out in this merriment.” He looked down at the servant’s hands who was carrying at the moment, a basket of freshly picked out garland leaves to hang for the other halls and flowers handpicked by the castle’s royal gardeners. “I think this lilies garland will best occupy the emptiness from that right side, don’t you think so?” He grinned at Zitao as the latter rolled his eyes.

 

“You and plants. I really have no idea where this botanical knowledge of yours came from. But then, I should suppose that this is because of your excessive reading from the Royal Library.” Zitao looked bored as he listened to the other Lady’s excuses for his immeasurable intelligence. “Besides, shouldn’t you let the servants get in-charge for that?” He looked at him pointedly. “Anyway, if you’re going to put the lilies on the right, you have to remove those daisies on your left and replace it with lilies.”

 

Lu Han looked at the contrast between the two sides and looked back to Zitao as if he had grown another head. “You are definitely amazing! You’ve seen the balance which I completely overlooked! Thank you, Zitao!” He turned to the servant up near the ceiling, “Place these lilies over there and please remove the daisies on the left side and replace it with the lilies instead.” He looked back to Zitao. “Alright, I know, but I can’t let the injustice of being in the dark. Besides, I simply like to read, is that so much to understand? You get to know other places and countries seeing as since young, we only had to be Baekhyun’s ladies. We need other knowledge beside the French Court’s.”

 

“What you should be reading about is how to seduce the King’s little brother! I’ve seen the way he looks at you, Lu Han, and don’t you dare tell me that you haven’t noticed. I see the way you look at him too!” Zitao had this knowing look, one Lu Han knew meant nothing but trouble.

 

“Oh, hush you. I do not find him that attractive! Even if his eyes look really nice and clear, his baritone voice so soothing and very pleasant to the ears—”

 

“Yes, I clearly see you are not attracted to him. That is perfectly alright.” Zitao rolled his eyes. “Anyway, have you seen Jongdae? I am surprised he is nowhere to be seen. Usually, he is always on time just to tease His Majesty.”

 

Lu Han looked around and noticed that, in fact, Jongdae has been missing. Servants are still busy hanging up the decorations for the banquet taking place that evening and the Royal Couple are busy attending to the Nobles’ needs at the Royal Court. “Maybe he’s with Baekhyun at the moment. Would you like to visit them?”

 

“Just get straight to the point. You just want to see Sehun.”

 

“Shut it, Zitao. I do not.”

 

 

“I completely understand that there are lands for each of the nobles, but Your Majesty, Lord Taeyang is completely overlooking this decree! He has already set foot in my land, not just to look but has been trying to threaten my people over it by bringing along his guards. I will not idly stand on the side and let him take over my land!” Lord Seunghyun, one of the loyal Nobles, looked aggravated letting the King know his sentiments.

 

The other lord, Lord Taeyang, seemed innocent behind his chagrin façade as he defended his claim. “Your Majesty, I am simply trying to scout the land as I need to have the security and safety that I will not be harmed when the day comes that the English will completely set foot in our land.”

 

“What do you mean by ‘the English will set foot in our land’? You do not need to worry as under my reign, the English will never take France. This is a promise I have sworn the moment I took the crown, one I intend to uphold. You must not worry, Lord Taeyang. I will send troops to guard our border from invaders.”

 

“Your Majesty, I do not wish to be rude and completely overstep my bounds but I am not quite sure you fully comprehend what I am stating. The English troops have already started camping as far as the forest is concerned. I fear for my family’s safety.”

 

“English or no English, that gives you no right to set foot in my land! I have guards along my borders and two of them are dead!” With anger clouding his judgement, Lord Seunghyun still fights for his right.

 

Lord Taeyang seemed displeased which borders to utter annoyance and completely losing his education gritted his teeth and gritted, “You must understand that it is not I who killed your guards! Yes, I had set foot in your land but only to talk to you about this nuisance that I have observed in the vast forest.”.

 

Yifan watched this scene happen right before his eyes and cleared his throat,“The English had already camped out in the forest in the North end?” He can not completely disregard the fact that there is political unrest in his own country, threatening his people. “And that two of your guards have been found dead?”

 

Yifan couldn't believe what his loyal Noblemen are saying. England is seas far from France. I cannot simply overlook the fact that the English could possibly be behind the death of Lord Seunghyun's guards. Kyungsoo is starting to move and I must protect France and Scotland. If not, Baekhyun could lose his crown and his country to Protestants. I can not allow this. “I see. Lord Taeyang, you must not worry, once again I tell you. I will see to it that our territories are unclaimed by the English and I will send troops to safeguard the borderline. I am deeply sorry for your loss of two courageous men. Lord Seunghyun, likewise, I will see to it that no harm comes to you and your family. This decree goes to all of you.”

 

The Lords looked relieved, far from the distress when they came in at court yesterday, thanking the King for his mercy and his protection. The Nobles came in at the court supporting two sides, but left with unity and even holding the promise that the King of France will give protection to them.

 

“Before you go, I would like to announce that there is a feast tonight, to welcome the incoming season of hope, as our yearly tradition. Please come with your wives and we’ll put this first behind, just for tonight.” Sehun quickly cleared his voice before the Nobles take their leave.

 

As soon as the Nobles had left the court, Yifan turned to Sehun who came in late. “So much for asking you to do this, Sehun. Where were you?”

 

Sehun looked ashamed to voice out his reason, completely disobeying his King who had asked personally on this request. “I am deeply sorry, Your Majesty. I had… woken up a bit late.”

 

Yifan sighed. He looked at his brother, void of youth clearly showing in his stance and facial features. “No need to worry, brother. I forgive you.” He then looked to his Queen who was still silent even after the half-day trivial matters with the Lords. “Baekhyun?”

 

Lady Jongdae who has been watching silently from the sidelines gently nudged Baekhyun as he, too, looked perturbed. “Your Majesty, are you alright?”

 

Baekhyun broke free from his thoughts and looked at his lady-in-waiting looking  concerned as he is before looking both at Yifan and Sehun who showed  genuine concern. “I’m alright, Jongdae, do not worry about me. I’m just, anxious, that’s all. Yifan, what do we do? I knew Kyungsoo was too quiet for his own good. Camping out English troops in French soil would only mean there is something terrible he’s planning. It could be a spy in the French Court, or worse, they’re planning to attack anytime. I am scared for France, for Scotland. This display of power isn’t nothing, Yifan. He wants my country. He wants my crown.”

 

Yifan crossed towards Baekhyun. He held his trembling hand, and looked him in the eyes. “Nothing will come to Scotland, and to you, my Queen. You have France’ protection, and I will honor our alliance.”

 

“Is it truly just the alliance, Yifan? Or is this more than that? I found our marriage papers with a clause stating that if I do not give you a child, Scotland becomes France’. Now, must I worry more about Kyungsoo and his English troops taking over my country, or our marriage forcing me to give you an heir just so I will not lose my country to the French?”

 

“Where did you get this ridiculous idea? I know nothing about this clause.” Yifan looked perplexed as he looked at his wife, worry invading his facial features. “I assure you, that whatever it is that has aroused your suspicion like this, I will talk to my mother and clear things out.” Promising his protection is one thing but accusing anyone from the Royal family is the kind of talk that gets queens, and probably kings, beheaded.

 

“Maybe it’s not just about Jaejoong being in this mess but my mother too. Yifan, there is a sea between England and France. Why have they camped out in our soil?” The Queen looked restless as this fact has been pushed out in the open. There is an absolute threat with how the English is positioned directly where France and Scotland could get a surprise attack.

 

“Do you mean that Junsu could probably be in this too?” Yifan looked at Baekhyun straight in the eye. The King seemed to ponder on the idea that both their mothers could be the root of all this mess. Yet, as he thinks hard why his mother could do something that could endanger his very own country is beyond his imagination.

 

Tension arose and Sehun felt the static in the air. He makes a move to excuse himself so that the two can talk privately. “Alright then, Royal couple’s quarrel. I better excuse myself.”

 

As Sehun walked away, Lady Lu Han arrived together with Lady Zitao. “Oh there you are! How did the negotiations with the Nobles go?”

 

Sehun quickly looked back towards Baekhyun and Yifan before saying, “Excuse me, Your Majesties. I will Lady Lu Han and Lady Zitao out.” He turned to the two ladies-in-waiting, “Maybe we should talk about that somewhere far from here. The King wants an audience alone with Baekhyun. We need not interfere.” He whispered towards Lady Lu Han where he seemed shock and quickly asked for his errors to be forgiven by the Royal Couple. “Forgive me, my King and my Queen. I will not interfere with the Royal Court matters.”

 

Baekhyun nodded as Sehun, Lady Lu Han and Lady Zitao excused themselves.  “I will be excusing myself as well, Your Majesty.” Jongdae bowed.

 

Making sure that no one is around except for the guards, he looked back to Yifan. “I do not know why my mother would forsake me with this kind of deal but this just makes it hard for me to trust you once more, Yifan.”

 

Yifan felt his heart being gripped tightly that he felt breathing normally a bit hard. “You are accusing me of this, aren’t you?” He breathed in gently, trying not to explode to his wife. “You have the word of the King of France.”

 

“I’m not sure if words mean anything here.” Baekhyun growled as his eyes kept staring at Yifan’s brown orbs. He broke his eye contact and bowed gently. “Please excuse me. I shall retire to my chambers.”

 

Yifan watches Baekhyun’s back solemnly. Why did we ever become this far apart? I want us to go back to how we were before.